Master's Admissions 2017(MA,MTS, ThM or Mdiv)

Johnny.S

1 hour ago, avocet said:

Finally got an email from Union, and it's an acceptance with a $14,000/year grant! Honestly shocked, as I thought I wouldn't even get in, nevermind get this much aid! 

Just waiting for BUSTh and HDS, but I'm relieved to know I'll be able to go somewhere! 

That's awesome!  Odd BU SoT hasn't gotten back to you yet because I heard from them almost a month ago.  Still waiting on BU GDRS though.

13 minutes ago, Lysdexia said:

That's awesome!  Odd BU SoT hasn't gotten back to you yet because I heard from them almost a month ago.  Still waiting on BU GDRS though.

Thanks! I think the silence from BUSTh is because I didn't qualify for the merit scholarship (my undergrad GPA is 3.26), so I assume I'll hear back by March 15. 

On 3/7/2017 at 8:06 PM, Lysdexia said:

Even though Harvard is great, UC is a top rated program currently, and graduates are getting jobs.  They have amazing research and many students work on publications there.  They didn't have my area of interest there, but I did look into it when I was starting my journey looking for graduate schools.

I think we all just want to know if we're HDS material.  Haha!

haha this is exactly why I'm waiting to hear from HDS! I have a very generous offer from UChicago which would encourage me anyways, and like @suhba7 said they have much more thorough offerings in Islamic Studies, but I just want to know if the staff at HDS thinks I'm good enough to go there. It's kind of like a win-win, either they say no and I get my first choice or they say yes and I get my first choice knowing that a place like Harvard thinks I'm Ivy material.

On 3/7/2017 at 7:57 AM, suhba7 said:

@ibn daoud I'm leaning towards University of Chicago because I think it really meshes well with my research interests (in Islamic Studies). That said, I'm still waiting to hear from HDS and if they offer a stipend in addition to full tuition I would very seriously consider it. 

I get this totally. Whereas I'm more interested in finding out if they would let me in, I am just waiting to see if they will even accept me, although it would have to be an incredible offer for me to change my mind. And I don't think I'm good enough for that. My interests just match up pretty well with UChicago folks.

@ibn daoudI'm so excited by the possibility of attending University of Chicago (and miraculously being able to afford it!) and have spent a lot of this last week falling more in love with the robust offerings in Islamic studies. For what it is worth, I believe (at least for the MA) it's actually more likely that one receives a better financial package from Harvard than University of Chicago. From what I can tell, HDS offers "about 20%" of their accepted applicants merit scholarships, but these merit scholarships all include a stipend! http://hds.harvard.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid/aid-through-hds/hds-institutional-grants (It seems to me Chicago offers a very very small amount of MA students-2 or 3- tuition and a stipend, while Harvard is offering 20% of their accepted applicants this).

I personally know of multiple people who have in the past received a stronger package from HDS (including a stipend) than Chicago so I wouldn't totally count out your chances of receiving an "incredible offer." I think my anecdotal evidence is also supported by the fact that if you look in the past 3 or 4 years on this website, more people post about receiving 100% at Harvard than UChicago. 

It's great to hear from someone as enthusiastic as I've been recently about attending University of Chicago for Islamic Studies!  Best of luck! 

Edited by suhba7

@suhba7 ha, glad I wasn't the only one looking over the Div School's website and handbooks once more (even though I've read them a thousand times already!) I was a bit unclear earlier: I have applied for MDiv at Harvard and know funding is usually decent, but thanks be to God received one of the Div School fellowships at UChicago, so at this point (although God knows best) I don't think HDS could offer me anything that would draw me away from my decision. I hope this doesn't sound immodest of me, I am truly blown away by -- and still trying to digest -- UChicago's generosity!

When I visited both schools, I just didn't feel the same kind of connection at Harvard as I did in Chicago. I can't explain it even. Everyone I've spoken to at UChicago has shown immense interest in and support of my academic and spiritual aims, and that to me is hard to pass up.

Regardless, I hope you get a great offer from HDS, although selfishly it would be great to meet at UChicago next year, especially since our interests seem to align! 

52 minutes ago, Johnny.S said:

Radio silence recently.. Any news on HDS?  Do you see any chance that Harvard might release their offer today?

I'm temporally based in Hong Kong for a research project, and this time zone difference makes me sick.. there is a 13 hour's difference between EST and Hong Kong time. It's 10 AM in EST and it is 11 PM in Hong Kong..  I don't sleep so good because some admission decision could be delivered during while I am sleeping.. I'm tired and I just want to get some sleep peww... 

Its definitely possible, they keep saying "Mid March" which technically could be today or even closer to the 20th. Hopefully they let us know soon!

@ibn daoud I'm actually in a similar position to you! Really humbled by Chicago's generosity and unsure HDS could offer anything that would draw me away either. I also had a really fantastic experience visiting UChicago. So chances are relatively high we will meet next year!! 

@Johnny.S it's pretty unlikely that we would hear today. In general it seems like HDS sends out their acceptances around exactly mid march (March 14-March 16) 

2 hours ago, PlayOrGetPlayed said:

@Mememememe I got a call from Notre Dame's MTS program on Tuesday saying I'd been accepted.  If you haven't heard back by now, I would bet you either got denied or are on a waitlist.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks for speaking up (it appears that few in this convo are interested in ND...) and congrats!

2 hours ago, caffeinator said:

Hi everyone. Congratulations on your acceptances!

HDS applicants, have you noticed any updates on your application status?

@caffeinator Not as of yet, still anxiously awaiting my HDS decision....  Needless to say I haven't been able to get much sleep lately.

Side note, I plan on visiting HDS next weekend, should I contact anyone at the school for a proper tour? Hopefully by then we'll all know our decisions!

8 hours ago, Lysdexia said:

It looks like HDS does not release before the 15th. The anticipation is killing me. 

I applied back in 2014 and it was in our confirmation email that all decisions would be released on March 15th at 11:59 AM. I've heard the time of the automated posting has changed but that it's still March 15th for everyone - accepted, waitlisted, and rejected.

On March 10, 2017 at 3:42 PM, axiomness said:

Thanks for speaking up (it appears that few in this convo are interested in ND...) and congrats!

I emailed an administrator yesterday who said information on applications should be released next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

On 3/11/2017 at 0:55 AM, ExceedinglyCaffeinated said:

Side note, I plan on visiting HDS next weekend, should I contact anyone at the school for a proper tour? Hopefully by then we'll all know our decisions!

There's a way to do it online but this system is only good for organizing class visits/ Divinity school tours. If you want to meet with professors, email them directly. I was able to meet with three and exchange emails with a fourth. Granted I emailed about 8 in total, but 50% isn't bad.

On 3/10/2017 at 5:55 PM, ExceedinglyCaffeinated said:

@caffeinator Not as of yet, still anxiously awaiting my HDS decision....  Needless to say I haven't been able to get much sleep lately.

For what it's worth, note that Harvard is on Spring Break this week so there are not classes being held and many faculty are off-campus. The school is closed and buildings are locked on the weekends, so you'd only be able to see the outside. 

6 hours ago, theophany said:

For what it's worth, note that Harvard is on Spring Break this week so there are not classes being held and many faculty are off-campus. The school is closed and buildings are locked on the weekends, so you'd only be able to see the outside. 

Thank you for this info!

I still plan on going this weekend, but with this in mind I will definitely (if accepted) have to visit again to get the full experience.

Thanks for the info @misterrager, @suhba7, @xypathos, and @theophany ! 

I think we'll hear on March 15th(tomorrow). It seems like they're sticklers in terms of releasing decisions (although it may not be 11:59 AM). Plus, considering Harvard is on Spring Break this week and that snowstorm has been well forecast far in advance, it is possible that they've already finished all the necessary step except for a (formal) notification of (pre-processed) decision on 15th. 

2 hours ago, Johnny.S said:

Thanks for the info @misterrager, @suhba7, @xypathos, and @theophany ! 

I think we'll hear on March 15th(tomorrow). It seems like they're sticklers in terms of releasing decisions (although it may not be 11:59 AM). Plus, considering Harvard is on Spring Break this week and that snowstorm has been well forecast far in advance, it is possible that they've already finished all the necessary step except for a (formal) notification of (pre-processed) decision on 15th. 

Oh man I hope youre right.

I just want this to be over and done with. My imagination likes to play games with me while waiting.