Wait Listed....

I was wait listed for UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON- SEATTLE. I wonder how many people could be waitlisted. UW is the 1st program I heard from -- the second notice was an acceptance to University of the Pacific (Stockton). I really want to go to UW, anybody ever been waitlisted and ended up getting admitted? Or tales of the reverse? Or just commiseration over this drawn-out process? This thread is a space to give us all hope. Please post when you get off any waitlists! :)

Edited by Caconnor

For those of you who were waitlisted, when did you give in your apps? I wonder if the waitlisting has anything to do with that (later app = the later they get to review it?) 

3 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

For those of you who were waitlisted, when did you give in your apps? I wonder if the waitlisting has anything to do with that (later app = the later they get to review it?) 

I got waitlisted after interviewing at Oklahoma State. I submitted my application in November and the due date was January 31 so I don't think the date I submitted my application had anything to do with it

2 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Speech programs aren't typically rolling apps, that's when they review them as they come in. I'm pretty sure NY Medical does but they say it explicitly on their website. They usually look at them all together after the deadline. They would say rolling admissions if they did otherwise.

I was waitlisted at NYU and was curious about the same thing. I honestly didn't think I would even be waitlisted so my hopes have gone too far up at the possibility of being accepted off the waitlist lol but I just don't know how many people actually deny their acceptances once being admitted. I did see that last year they had about 115 acceptance offers though for a class of about 50 so I'm wondering if they went through several waves of acceptance as people started dropping? I'm just being very hopeful for myself

@CameronR I think people will definitely deny acceptance offers once they hear back from all programs they applied to on acceptances/funding. I know cost isn't the only factor, but NYU is a very expensive school and any financial aid offers won't come through for another few weeks. I think once the April 15 deadline passes you'll start hearing back. Also, not sure if they rank their waitlist or not, but either way it might be worth emailing to reiterate your interest if it's your top choice. I've heard from a few people who are in grad school now getting in off the waitlist after doing that. Good luck!! :) 

I am waitlisted at one of my top choices too! University of Tennessee -Knoxville. Still waiting on other schools, but I'm a little worried about what to do if I get offered admission at another school that I don't want to go to as badly!

I think the waitlist process varies by school. UT doesn't send out offers or rank their waitlist until after the April 15 deadline. I know other schools will already have theirs ranked, and send offers as students decline their admission offers. I would check check in with your program, and I'm sure they will let you know!

Generally you might have to wait until after April 15th and everyone has gotten all of their replies from all of their schools to start knowing about waitlists.  Some schools give a deadline to respond to an acceptance before April 15th which would make it possible for waitlisters to be contacted earlier than April 15th.  Some examples:

GVSU gave a deadline of April 15th to notify if your would accept your admission to their program.  I had a classmate who was taken from the waitlist pool the first week of May in that scenario.

Idaho State gave people a week to respond to admission letters and so weekly they were taking a new batch from the waitlist pool to send offers of acceptance.  so in that scenario waitlisters were updated weekly.  

Hope that helps!  All depends on what deadline the school gives their admitted students to respond to acceptance offers.

6 hours ago, ElKel87 said:

@CameronR I think people will definitely deny acceptance offers once they hear back from all programs they applied to on acceptances/funding. I know cost isn't the only factor, but NYU is a very expensive school and any financial aid offers won't come through for another few weeks. I think once the April 15 deadline passes you'll start hearing back. Also, not sure if they rank their waitlist or not, but either way it might be worth emailing to reiterate your interest if it's your top choice. I've heard from a few people who are in grad school now getting in off the waitlist after doing that. Good luck!! :) 

that sounds like a good idea! I might reach out in a week or two when some time has passed but not too much. Thanks! and good luck to you too! :D

• 11 months later...
On 3/5/2017 at 7:23 AM, Callen said:

Good luck!!! I'm the same with University of Oregon - would reaaaallly like to go there.

Hi! I’m just curious as to when you heard from U of OR? I haven’t heard anything from them yet...

1 hour ago, Luna529 said:

Devastating news. Maybe they just didn’t want to share that? 

Pretty sure one of the CoreSLP students got in off the waitlist last year. Also, I work in the same lab as a 2nd year MedSLP student who got in off the waitlist. It's possible! That said, both of the students I just referenced were postbacs at UW, so I wonder if they are higher up on the lists? I know of one student in my postbac cohort who is waitlisted, though I'm not sure for which program. 

Edited by SopranoSLP

14 minutes ago, SopranoSLP said:

Pretty sure one of the CoreSLP students got in off the waitlist last year. Also, I work in the same lab as a 2nd year MedSLP student who got in off the waitlist. It's possible! That said, both of the students I just referenced were postbacs at UW, so I wonder if they are higher up on the lists? I know of one student in my postbac cohort who is waitlisted, though I'm not sure for which program. 

Do you have any idea when they found out they were admitted? I saw a girl on here who found out in early May that she was off the waitlist. I didn’t think I would even get in so it never occurred to me to be emotionally prepared for this waiting game. I’m trying to tell myself it’s better to just pretend I’ve been completely rejected...but then I don’t want to give up hope. :( 

14 hours ago, Luna529 said:

Do you have any idea when they found out they were admitted? I saw a girl on here who found out in early May that she was off the waitlist. I didn’t think I would even get in so it never occurred to me to be emotionally prepared for this waiting game. I’m trying to tell myself it’s better to just pretend I’ve been completely rejected...but then I don’t want to give up hope. :( 

April, I think, in both cases.

32 minutes ago, SopranoSLP said:

April, I think, in both cases.

You are the best informant!! Have you heard about the other two individuals who were admitted but weren’t sure of their “intentions?” I think you mentioned they were CoreSLP students. 

4 hours ago, Luna529 said:

You are the best informant!! Have you heard about the other two individuals who were admitted but weren’t sure of their “intentions?” I think you mentioned they were CoreSLP students. 

Hahaha, I'm glad it's helpful. I always scour the internet for every tiny bit of info I can find when I'm in uncertain situations, so I'm trying to be the random internet stranger I wish to see in the world! ;-) I think my other two cohort-mates are accepting, which makes 5 of us (all Core). Who knows what's going on outside my bubble, though!

46 minutes ago, SopranoSLP said:

Hahaha, I'm glad it's helpful. I always scour the internet for every tiny bit of info I can find when I'm in uncertain situations, so I'm trying to be the random internet stranger I wish to see in the world! ;-) I think my other two cohort-mates are accepting, which makes 5 of us (all Core). Who knows what's going on outside my bubble, though!

Please send me your good vibes! I feel like you have solid University of Washington CoreSLP admission energy!! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2018 at 8:56 PM, aelwood14 said:

Hi! I’m just curious as to when you heard from U of OR? I haven’t heard anything from them yet...

Hi sorry I'm so late on this - I hope you've heard by now! I heard from them on February 17 last application season.