PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

2 minutes ago, pataka said:

Hey, I noticed you just spammed like four different threads with this same exact question. Perhaps a better thing to do would be to browse the Results page to see if anyone has posted about your program of interest? 

Woops! I'm new to this. Thanks for your feedback. 

Is anyone applying to Auburn's Counseling Psychology program, or Georgia Southern's PsyD program? I'm so nervous I can hardly stand it!!

I'm 26 and will be graduating with my BS in Psychology and Human Services May 2018. Applying to a few doctoral programs and several master's programs.

Undergraduate GPA- 3.61, Psych GPA- 3.7

GRE: Verbal- 154, Quantitative- 148, Analytical- 3.5

Clinical experience- 1.5 years of full-time work with an outpatient addiction treatment center. I work as the admissions/administrative coordinator but also independently run 5 groups/week (Relapse Prevention, Family Orientation, Trauma Recovery, Psychoeducation, Step Group, etc.) Have gotten weekly supervision. Participate in treatment team meetings for case-conceptualization. Utilize crisis intervention skills.

Research experience- 1 year as a research assistant in a clinical psychology lab within another university. Running participants, using Qualtrics, quantitative coding, etc. No posters or pubs.

Very strong letters of recommendation. 1 from research supervisor/primary investigator, 1 from a my psych professor, 1 from a supervisor at work. From what I saw, they wrote about my strong interpersonal skills, intellectual curiosity, responsible nature, and willingness to accept feedback. I waived my right to view these letters but a few showed them to me anyway.

Knocked my SOP out of the park, too. I'm worried about the GRE scores. They absolutely do not represent my potential. I'm going to attempt not obsessing over decisions. Oh wait, TOO LATE. :)

Edited by studentofthemind

24 minutes ago, studentofthemind said:

Is anyone applying to Auburn's Counseling Psychology program, or Georgia Southern's PsyD program? I'm so nervous I can hardly stand it!!

I'm 26 and will be graduating with my BS in Psychology and Human Services May 2018. Applying to a few doctoral programs and several master's programs.

Undergraduate GPA- 3.61, Psych GPA- 3.7

GRE: Verbal- 154, Quantitative- 148, Analytical- 3.5

Clinical experience- 1.5 years of full-time work with an outpatient addiction treatment center. I work as the admissions/administrative coordinator but also independently run 5 groups/week (Relapse Prevention, Family Orientation, Trauma Recovery, Psychoeducation, Step Group, etc.) Have gotten weekly supervision. Participate in treatment team meetings for case-conceptualization. Utilize crisis intervention skills.

Research experience- 1 year as a research assistant in a clinical psychology lab within another university. Running participants, using Qualtrics, quantitative coding, etc. No posters or pubs.

Very strong letters of recommendation. 1 from research supervisor/primary investigator, 1 from a my psych professor, 1 from a supervisor at work. From what I saw, they wrote about my strong interpersonal skills, intellectual curiosity, responsible nature, and willingness to accept feedback. I waived my right to view these letters but a few showed them to me anyway.

Knocked my SOP out of the park, too. I'm worried about the GRE scores. They absolutely do not represent my potential. I'm going to attempt not obsessing over decisions. Oh wait, TOO LATE. :)

3 years ago (with much less experience), I still had a school psych interview for a phd program. My Verbal was 143. 

1 hour ago, EN94 said:

Has anyone heard from the clinical track out of Minnesota's child psych program (DPCS)?

According to gradcafe survey history, we probably won't hear from them for another week, at the least. It will probably closer to end of the month.

Program of interest: Clinical Psychology

Schools you have applied to: University of Washington, University of Delaware, Harvard University, Boston University, Stony Brook, Berkeley, University of Miami, Vanderbilt University, University of Southern California, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Texas-Austin, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill

Number one worry about applying: I feel like all my basics were fine, (GPA, GRE, LORs,), but in the end I just have that nagging worry that it just won't happen. It's hard not to see that many lovely people are applying and I just might not quite make the final cut. I am very excited that I have two interviews so far, so I am keeping my head up and trying to prepare appropriately.

Hey guys, 

I wanted to get your feedback about something I've been debating. I haven't heard from MANY of my schools (13/14), but some of them have already sent out some interview invites. None of my online sites have any updates, nor have I received any rejections, but would it be frowned upon if I were to reach out to check the status of my application?

3 minutes ago, Bluflmngo1 said:

Hey guys, 

I wanted to get your feedback about something I've been debating. I haven't heard from MANY of my schools (13/14), but some of them have already sent out some interview invites. None of my online sites have any updates, nor have I received any rejections, but would it be frowned upon if I were to reach out to check the status of my application?

No, you can. I emailed program coordinators and asked if all interview invites have been sent out. They don't respond quickly but you get a straight answer.

3 minutes ago, Bluflmngo1 said:

Hey guys, 

I am in the same situation, only heard from 2 schools out of 10. From what I understand, when interview invites are sent depends on the specialization. I noticed a pattern where developmental/social areas send out invites earlier than others. It seems that the "official" interview dates tend to be around mid-February at the latest. So if you haven't heard by then, you might be rejected/waitlisted. 

I don't think it would look good if you asked them. You may seem impatient.

Just a heads up. UCLA updated the interview schedule on it's application instructions page for all areas, excluding Behavioral Neuroscience, Cognitive, and Learning & Behavior:

INTERVIEW SCHEDULE FOR FALL 2018 ADMISSION:

Social Area: January 19 - 20, 2018

Clinical Area: February 1 - 2, 2018

Developmental Area:  February 2 - 3, 2018

Health Area: February 9, 2018

Behavioral Neuroscience, Cognitive, and Learning & Behavior Areas: To Be Announced

Quantitative Area: Individually Scheduled With Applicants

I saw that someone applying to UNC Chapel Hill in Clinical Psychology indicated that they were rejected via the website? Where did you determine that you were rejected on the website? I don't see anything when I visit the page or my application.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:46 AM, songofgallifrey said:

Has anyone had problems with Johns Hopkins Cognitive Science matching their GRE scores to their application? I sent my scores to all my schools in the middle of November and only JHU is having trouble with them. I'm getting nervous that they're not going to look at my application!

Im on the same boat as you!!! 

UNC-Chapel Hill's Clinical Psychology webpage says, "All applicants invited for an interview have been notified. Good luck to everyone."

Anyone know if this may generalize to all fields within the psychology department or if it's specific to only Clinical at UNC? 

Help! My two top programs have the same interview weekend! I already RSVP'ed to my 2nd choice program's interview weekend, but I feel like I should attend the interview for my top program? What do I do? I feel like it would be bad to back out of an in-person interview and ask to do skype instead.

1 hour ago, clinical_chicana said:

Help! My two top programs have the same interview weekend! I already RSVP'ed to my 2nd choice program's interview weekend, but I feel like I should attend the interview for my top program? What do I do? I feel like it would be bad to back out of an in-person interview and ask to do skype instead.

hey there, this happened to me as well. i told my top choice program that i had already committed to attending the recruitment weekend for another program and asked if i could arrange a separate visit. they understand that everyone is interviewing people at the same time, so they were very accommodating for me and scheduled me to come when they have a job candidate coming in as well and some other events on campus. congrats on the invites, and good luck!

Anyone here applying to UTK counseling program? I've seen one person get an interview on the results section, and apparently, they got the email on December 16. That's super early for UTK, from what's on the results section they typically send out invites around the 10th of January. Another person got an email (in error), and it's making me freak out that they really did send out all of the interviews early this year.

13 minutes ago, hg92 said:

Hey guys!

Just wondering for those of you have Skype or informal calls....how long after the call did you hear back? If you weren’t selected for an in-person interview did you hear back?

Thanks!

I think it definitely varies! I had 3 informal calls - two resulted in a formal invite within 24 hours while and I had to wait a week for the third formal invite. I had a 4th informal call several months prior (October/November)without  any follow up for an interview invite until january. The PI also typically communicated that I'd hear from them within a set period of time

54 minutes ago, hg92 said:

Hey guys!

Just wondering for those of you have Skype or informal calls....how long after the call did you hear back? If you weren’t selected for an in-person interview did you hear back?

Thanks!

I've had two unsuccessful Skype interviews/phone calls. One person got back to me around the time they said they would and let me know which I really appreciated, and the other never did but I figured out that I was out of the running thanks to this lovely website. Hope your luck is better than mine!

1 hour ago, mip239 said:

I've had two unsuccessful Skype interviews/phone calls. One person got back to me around the time they said they would and let me know which I really appreciated, and the other never did but I figured out that I was out of the running thanks to this lovely website. Hope your luck is better than mine!

The one you didn't hear back from didn't happen to be UMich-Ann Arbor, did it? I'm kind of in the same boat here. 

2 hours ago, hg92 said:

Hey guys!

Thanks!

hey there! i had three post-application interviews at ucsd, umich, and penn state, and i've been invited to the recruitment weekends for all three. ucsd took the longest to get back to me - three and a half weeks - while penn state and umich were both about a week of waiting.

i also had a few informal phone/Skype calls with different POIs at maryland regarding NACS (neuro and cog sci program) after emailing them pre-application, but i haven't heard anything about my application yet. i've seen three interview invites go up on the results page this month, two of which went up today, so i'm not sure what to make of that. i hope this helps!

On 12/20/2017 at 8:31 PM, nicokren said:

Well...*panic mode*...

I failed to realize one of my LoR was not submitted yet as the school does not send you a link to check your status upon submission. Thanks, Indiana University! :angry: -_- Have sent an email to the writer as well as the program. Everything else was submitted in a timely manner...

Now I am mad.

Update Time: After finally receiving an email back from the department, they said my application would still be reviewed. Phew! 

Good luck everyone. I still haven't heard a peep. Hopefully soon...