Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

Does anyone know if Germany typically conducts interviews for research applicants? I’m a semi-finalist for Munich. 

Congrats to those who have received good news and best wishes to the rest on other future endeavors!

11 hours ago, Alvierk said:

First time applying and I got placed as a semi-finalist for Germany! Anyone have any advice on how to fast-forward the next few weeks of my life so I don't succumb to anxiety waiting on the final word? Haha

Congratulations! I'm also a semi-finalist for Germany. Are you ETA or research? (I'm research.)

I am a bit late, but I am a semi-finalist for a Taught Master's Award for University College Dublin in Dublin, Ireland. I have already been accepted to UCD, with a Global Scholarship offer. I applied to UCD with the intention of studying English Literature, with a focus in American Lit. I am currently a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow, and my project is a cross cultural analysis of works by James Joyce and Carlos Fuentes. 

I am considering looking into alternative funding as a back up plan, because if I do not receive funding I will take a gap year before applying to PhD programs. I need to do my own research, but does anyone know of scholarships/fellowships that are still open for application?

Finally - is anyone else potentially headed to Ireland? :) 

29 minutes ago, breemartini said:

I am a bit late, but I am a semi-finalist for a Taught Master's Award for University College Dublin in Dublin, Ireland. I have already been accepted to UCD, with a Global Scholarship offer. I applied to UCD with the intention of studying English Literature, with a focus in American Lit. I am currently a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow, and my project is a cross cultural analysis of works by James Joyce and Carlos Fuentes. 

I am considering looking into alternative funding as a back up plan, because if I do not receive funding I will take a gap year before applying to PhD programs. I need to do my own research, but does anyone know of scholarships/fellowships that are still open for application?

Finally - is anyone else potentially headed to Ireland? :) 

Hopefully, yes!
Make sure you update your line on the spreadsheet. Congrats on your recommendation to semi-finalist! I hope you find all the monies to study.

Edited by thepictureisstill

13 hours ago, TheaterOfDreams said:

Congratulations! I'm also a semi-finalist for Germany. Are you ETA or research? (I'm research.)

Congrats back! I'm ETA. Have you applied in the past for the Fulbright? 

Edited by Alvierk

This was in my interview request email: " We have been informed by ECA about having all U.S. student notifications go out by March 1. "

Does anybody know if this means we find out our final status on March 1st?  Or does that just mean the country sends their final choices to the FSB?

8 hours ago, lemoncurdle said:

This was in my interview request email: " We have been informed by ECA about having all U.S. student notifications go out by March 1. "

Does anybody know if this means we find out our final status on March 1st?  Or does that just mean the country sends their final choices to the FSB?

Hm, the wording is what is interesting here. My gut tells me the language used to describe a country's choice to the ECA isn't called a notification, they would call it a decision...we are the ones who receive "notifications". My gut also tells me that March 1 is very soon and judging by past calendars, the ECA will not have their business together by March 1. What country are you interviewing with? Thank you for sharing this potential info.

For others that have to interview, were countries prompt about scheduling? 

On 1/25/2018 at 1:14 PM, gotmilk332 said:

Semi-finalists for research? or ETA/binational internship? (or all?)

I applied for ETA... I'm not sure If others that applied to Mexico received news the same day as us.

Edited by Caraluna

19 hours ago, lemoncurdle said:

On the Fulbright website under "Post US Student Application Review" (https://us.fulbrightonline.org/country-review-resources) it says "By March 2, 2018: In addition to entering Country Decisions in Embark, Posts and Commissions must email both the IIE Regional Portfolio Manage and ECA Branch Offices with the Country Decision list (including Principal, Alternates, and Non-Selects)." 

To me that means that the beginning of March is when the countries have to send IIE their choices and after that IIE has time to review them. Probably we won't find out the decisions until much later. 

15 hours ago, thepictureisstill said:

Hm, the wording is what is interesting here. My gut tells me the language used to describe a country's choice to the ECA isn't called a notification, they would call it a decision...we are the ones who receive "notifications". My gut also tells me that March 1 is very soon and judging by past calendars, the ECA will not have their business together by March 1. What country are you interviewing with? Thank you for sharing this potential info.

For others that have to interview, were countries prompt about scheduling? 

Luxembourg was prompt about scheduling. I received an email on Jan 31 informing me that my interview was scheduled for Feb 26.

For those of you preparing for Skype interviews for research grants, here is what I wished I did differently on mine. Don't be distracted if the committee looks disinterested or if they're writing while you talk. They are paying attention. Try to limit your responses to a minute. The natural tendency is to prattle on, especially if the committee looks disinterested and you're nervous. Resist! And finally, what surprised me most, be prepared to summarize your application. I was expecting questions about the application, but all I got were questions that I had already addressed in the application, like language preparation and social engagement. It's not that the committee didn't read it. A major purpose of the interview (that I didn't realize) is to see if you can clearly articulate the project you proposed and the reasons you applied for that particular grant. Keep it basic, passionate, and succinct within a minute. 10 minutes goes fast! It's also not a bad idea to have a question for them. Check your Commission's social media accounts, see what they've been up to, and be ready to ask about it. Good luck everybody!!

On 2/7/2018 at 3:30 PM, monachos11 said:

For those of you preparing for Skype interviews for research grants, here is what I wished I did differently on mine. Don't be distracted if the committee looks disinterested or if they're writing while you talk. They are paying attention. Try to limit your responses to a minute. The natural tendency is to prattle on, especially if the committee looks disinterested and you're nervous. Resist! And finally, what surprised me most, be prepared to summarize your application. I was expecting questions about the application, but all I got were questions that I had already addressed in the application, like language preparation and social engagement. It's not that the committee didn't read it. A major purpose of the interview (that I didn't realize) is to see if you can clearly articulate the project you proposed and the reasons you applied for that particular grant. Keep it basic, passionate, and succinct within a minute. 10 minutes goes fast! It's also not a bad idea to have a question for them. Check your Commission's social media accounts, see what they've been up to, and be ready to ask about it. Good luck everybody!!

Hi! Thanks for the tips! I am applying for the master's research grant at UCL. I have only received notification I was a semi-finalist in late January, sent in my transcript, and I haven't heard anything else back. When do we hear back about having interviews or does everyone have interviews for research grants? 

7 hours ago, Rachel patteson said:

Hi! Thanks for the tips! I am applying for the master's research grant at UCL. I have only received notification I was a semi-finalist in late January, sent in my transcript, and I haven't heard anything else back. When do we hear back about having interviews or does everyone have interviews for research grants? 

@Rachel patteson I am also a semifinalist for the UCL partnership award. I haven't heard anything either - and from previous years, it looks like UCL applicants didn't have interviews. That doesn't mean we won't, of course, but as of now you and I are in the same boat.

5 hours ago, deeperblue said:

@Rachel patteson I am also a semifinalist for the UCL partnership award. I haven't heard anything either - and from previous years, it looks like UCL applicants didn't have interviews. That doesn't mean we won't, of course, but as of now you and I are in the same boat.

have you already been through the semi-finalist rounds before, is that why you know about the interviews? What are you going to study/research at UCL? I'm actually a 'study' grant, I don't know if that's different from a research grant. I'm applying for the Geosciences Msc :) Thanks for the insight though! It's been very confusing so far about what happens with interviews, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Rachel patteson said:

have you already been through the semi-finalist rounds before, is that why you know about the interviews? What are you going to study/research at UCL? I'm actually a 'study' grant, I don't know if that's different from a research grant. I'm applying for the Geosciences Msc :) Thanks for the insight though! It's been very confusing so far about what happens with interviews, etc. 

@Rachel patteson No, I am a first-time applicant. I was looking through this spreadsheet, which has some historical information. Definitely share your confusion, though!

I am also applying for a "study" grant - I applied for an MSc in Transport and City Planning.