Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

8 minutes ago, Samye23 said:

I got an email saying thank you for submitting and that they would be in touch later. I got it at 6:48am CST (7:48am EST) today (1/22/18)

Ahhh that doesn't reassure me at all. I sent an email asking them to confirm if they got my questionnaire and they haven't responded (admittedly I sent it after the end of the business day there ~1pm CST). 

Edited by graceaco

3 minutes ago, graceaco said:

Ahhh that doesn't reassure me at all. I sent an email asking them to confirm if they got my questionnaire and they haven't responded (admittedly I sent it after the end of the business day there). 

I'm sure you're fine :) I sent my survey in last week (before the weekend), so maybe they just saw it sooner and therefore responded sooner? Don't stress, nowadays email doesn't tend to get lost, so as long as you submitted it before Sunday you should be good. :)

3 minutes ago, Samye23 said:

I'm sure you're fine :) I sent my survey in last week (before the weekend), so maybe they just saw it sooner and therefore responded sooner? Don't stress, nowadays email doesn't tend to get lost, so as long as you submitted it before Sunday you should be good. :)

Good point. I sent mine in midday on Sunday so it makes sense they would respond to you first. I think I am just needlessly finding more things to be worried about...

First time poster and also anxiously awaiting news like all of you!

Does anyone have information on how the academic degree grant Fulbrights work? I got accepted to my program and they require that I put in a deposit for a placeholder within the next month. However, doing the program largely relies a lot on whether or not I receive the Fulbright as I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise. Anyone else in this situation or has been in this situation? 

Thank you and may the odds be in your favor! :) 

18 hours ago, graceaco said:

Good point. I sent mine in midday on Sunday so it makes sense they would respond to you first. I think I am just needlessly finding more things to be worried about...

Did you hear anything back?! I hope you did!

2 hours ago, accio_fulbright said:

First time poster and also anxiously awaiting news like all of you!

Does anyone have information on how the academic degree grant Fulbrights work? I got accepted to my program and they require that I put in a deposit for a placeholder within the next month. However, doing the program largely relies a lot on whether or not I receive the Fulbright as I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise. Anyone else in this situation or has been in this situation? 

Thank you and may the odds be in your favor! :) 

I’m in the same boat! I was accepted into the University program mid-January. Curiously, my fulbright application says it was updated 13 days ago, which is one day after I was accepted to the University. I assume Fulbright needs to make sure I was accepted into the program either way? 

Thankfully, my deposit isn’t due until April. I think by April we’ll know for sure if we’re finalists. 

Like all of you, I’m waiting anxiously to hear about initial notifications!

Edited by nac1024

2 hours ago, AneVY said:

Hi guys!

Another Czech Semi-finalist here! I got an email earlier today that my questionnaire had been received and they would contact me later (fingers crossed). 

Anyone know how long they take to decide the finalists? The wait seems endless...

1 hour ago, witty_phrase_here said:

It seems like in the previous years, Czech ETA finalists were notified in mid to late March. I really hope we all hear back about semi-finalist notifications soon!

I'm worried it might be later this year because they have more info to go over with the questionnaire. When I emailed with a question about what time the questionnaire was due, though, they mentioned that they were going to start reviewing on Monday (1/22). If they're that on top of things that might indicate they'll be done reviewing early-ish.

Alright, I finally gave in and created an account so I could commiserate with you all. I also applied for an ETA to Spain, and am hoping to focus my community engagement project on leading nature walks to promote situational awareness and stress relief. Since January started and I really began expecting *the* email, I've managed to completely talk myself out of any hopes that I'll be selected! Does anyone else feel like they've told too many people about Fulbright? It's been my go-to answer to every question about my post-grad plans, and I dread having to update every person I told if I get bad news when they inevitably ask me about it. 

8 minutes ago, rayodeluna said:

Alright, I finally gave in and created an account so I could commiserate with you all. I also applied for an ETA to Spain, and am hoping to focus my community engagement project on leading nature walks to promote situational awareness and stress relief. Since January started and I really began expecting *the* email, I've managed to completely talk myself out of any hopes that I'll be selected! Does anyone else feel like they've told too many people about Fulbright? It's been my go-to answer to every question about my post-grad plans, and I dread having to update every person I told if I get bad news when they inevitably ask me about it. 

Ugh yes, I've definitely told more people about the Fulbright than I probably should have to protect my ego from a potential bruising. I keep wavering between "no way I'll be a semi-finalist" and obsessing over statistics to "wait, I have a great proposal, I should hold out hope!" Right now I'm in the former camp mentally. Anyone else feel like their confidence is all over the map?

Fingers crossed we both make it to Spain!

Hi all, 

I'm a first-time applicant to a UK Partnership program and I'm trying to figure out how this whole semi-finalist/finalist process works, so I thought I would defer to those of you with more Fulbright experience. It sounds like we probably won't hear officially until Jan 30 to get through the first round of selection, but I heard from my affiliate and (hopefully) future professor in the UK today that he had been asked by Fulbright to rank my application and gave it his full support. Is it pretty standard at this point that Fulbright has been in touch with a professor at the degree program I'm aiming to get my grant for? I don't want to get my hopes up, but at the same time I feel like this should be a good sign, right? 

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all!!

1 hour ago, rayodeluna said:

1 hour ago, ellevine said:

Ugh yes, I've definitely told more people about the Fulbright than I probably should have to protect my ego from a potential bruising. I keep wavering between "no way I'll be a semi-finalist" and obsessing over statistics to "wait, I have a great proposal, I should hold out hope!" Right now I'm in the former camp mentally. Anyone else feel like their confidence is all over the map?

Absolutely – I feel you both 100%. This has been one of my biggest stressors in addition to *the* email. It's hard to be so excited and passionate about something so uncertain and out of our control (at this point). I've told nearly everyone I know...so I'm hoping I don't have to have that awkward conversation either. I've probably reread my proposal 100 times since Jan. 1 and go back & forth between, "others will have stronger proposals" and "this is so great!" 

ugh is right!

Edited by cag321

1 hour ago, ellevine said:

1 hour ago, rayodeluna said:

I have told a lot of people about it too, especially over the holidays when everyone was asking me about my post-graduate plans left and right! I kind of framed my responses in an itemized way ("Plan A is Fulbright, plan B is grad school, plan C is work..."). I'm really hoping my plan A works out though, lol!

11 hours ago, taosena said:

Hi all, 

I'm a first-time applicant to a UK Partnership program and I'm trying to figure out how this whole semi-finalist/finalist process works, so I thought I would defer to those of you with more Fulbright experience. It sounds like we probably won't hear officially until Jan 30 to get through the first round of selection, but I heard from my affiliate and (hopefully) future professor in the UK today that he had been asked by Fulbright to rank my application and gave it his full support. Is it pretty standard at this point that Fulbright has been in touch with a professor at the degree program I'm aiming to get my grant for? I don't want to get my hopes up, but at the same time I feel like this should be a good sign, right? 

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all!!

I can't imagine it's a bad thing that they asked your Fulbright affiliate to rank your application -- at the same time, my guess is that they do that for all applicants. I get the feeling that your school has a strong input on who gets the Fulbright (it's my guess that if the school is trying to promote a certain department, they will lobby fulbright to select a candidate from that program, given there is an application for it and it is high quality.... could just be my own personal conspiracy though). 

Which school did you apply for? Have you been admitted? I am going to London School of Economics -- was already admitted last year but deferred. According to the statistics, LSE seems to have the most fulbright applicants 1/60ish two years ago and 1/48 before that.  Noticed some UK schools only have 4-5 applicants. 

Hello all, 

I just want to let everyone know that Mexico has just sent out emails to let semi-finalists know about Skype interviews. I am thrilled to hear such great news and hope you all will also hear something soon! Whether or not you get it, just remember that it's an honor to simply apply! You'll end up right where you're supposed to be. Keep in mind that life has a funny way of surprising us and giving us opportunities when we least expect them. 

Best of luck!!! 

4 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

You might search for Luxembourg on past year forums to see if someone shared the information there.

I applied for the ETA in Luxembourg and based on my past sleuthing, I **think** they hold Skype interviews for both Belgium & Luxembourg. Not sure about Spain, though!

6 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

You might search for Luxembourg on past year forums to see if someone shared the information there.

3 minutes ago, cag321 said:

I applied for the ETA in Luxembourg and based on my past sleuthing, I **think** they hold Skype interviews for both Belgium & Luxembourg. Not sure about Spain, though!

Thank you for your input. Was the interview in English?

2 minutes ago, Maverick_88 said:

Thank you for your input. Was the interview in English?

I applied for this round (2018-2019) so I'm not sure! I'm just basing it on the research I've done on Google (ha!). I assume it would be in English, although perhaps they also test your foreign language capabilities (based on what you put in your proposal).