No acceptances (yet), only rejections

Anyone out there who is waiting to hear back and have only received rejections so far? How is everyone coping? I applied to 8 schools and so far 5 have been rejections and I've interviewed at two who I still have not heard from. Every time I get an email my heart sinks even further smh. Anyone thinking what the next step might be if worst case scenario happens? I'm starting to consider how many times I would be willing or financially able to apply again and whether or not I will consider a change of career path (again, worst case scenario). I hope we all do hear some good news soon! But until then, I would love to hear from others in the same position if there are any out there 

Edited by SpeechLaedy

So far, all I've been getting are rejections too.  

My plan B is to finish my second bachelor's degree and become and SLPA.  During the summer I may also retake some CSD courses that I got B's in, so that GPA can go up and be a little bit more competetive.  

29 minutes ago, SLPmel said:

If it's what you really want to do, don't give up. You can still apply to some programs for Spring next year. One here in California is 100% online. http://tsengcollege.csun.edu/programs/CDS/apply 

I certainly would not like to give up. I had to fight to get into the undergrad program so I'm certainly not the giving up type for what I want to do. But financially - applying to these schools again and retaking the GREs would be another $1000+ dollars that I'm not sure I'll have after one more round of applications (God-forbid it becomes necessary). I have already planned on applying to programs for the Spring though. So I'll be looking into the programs in NY that offer it. My worry with a fully online program would be that I would not do well since there's no face to face interaction and it's not the type of education I'm used to. I have never taken a single online course before. Some people thrive whether or not courses are taken in-person or online, but since I've never even taken an online course, I'm really not sure how I would do 

I'm sorry to hear that! Remember, it only takes one acceptance, so don't count yourself out yet. But of course, it is smart to be prepared for a plan B.

I would really look into the weak areas of your application. If you're not sure what those are, I would contact a couple of schools you were rejected from and ask them, letting them know that you are trying to get some more information so you can improve your application for the next year. Keep in mind that weak factors can also include the competitiveness of schools you are applying to, or a weak personal statement (the obvious ones might be GPA, GRE, experience). If weak factors are obvious to you, maybe you could post it/them on here and we can give you some ideas on how to approach them.

Good luck! I am hoping you hear some good news soon!

23 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

I certainly would not like to give up. I had to fight to get into the undergrad program so I'm certainly not the giving up type for what I want to do. But financially - applying to these schools again and retaking the GREs would be another $1000+ dollars that I'm not sure I'll have after one more round of applications (God-forbid it becomes necessary). I have already planned on applying to programs for the Spring though. So I'll be looking into the programs in NY that offer it. My worry with a fully online program would be that I would not do well since there's no face to face interaction and it's not the type of education I'm used to. I have never taken a single online course before. Some people thrive whether or not courses are taken in-person or online, but since I've never even taken an online course, I'm really not sure how I would do 

I understand the hesitation with online courses. I actually took most of my undergrad online, but wanted to attend a face-to-face grad program. If you do not get in this year you can always look forward to making a stronger application next year, while also saving to apply again. I don't know your financial situation, but some universities also offer waivers for the application fee so you might want to look into that.

47 minutes ago, plume said:

I'm sorry to hear that! Remember, it only takes one acceptance, so don't count yourself out yet. But of course, it is smart to be prepared for a plan B.

I would really look into the weak areas of your application. If you're not sure what those are, I would contact a couple of schools you were rejected from and ask them, letting them know that you are trying to get some more information so you can improve your application for the next year. Keep in mind that weak factors can also include the competitiveness of schools you are applying to, or a weak personal statement (the obvious ones might be GPA, GRE, experience). If weak factors are obvious to you, maybe you could post it/them on here and we can give you some ideas on how to approach them.

Good luck! I am hoping you hear some good news soon!

Thank you. I actually have already planned to contact the schools to find out my weaknesses (and some schools I applied to had about 8% acceptance rates so I know for some that, in itself, is something I can't help). But I figured I would try to wait until after I hear back from all of them. However, since I have not yet looked at when the deadlines for the few spring applications are for, do you think it would be wise to contact them now to get their answers in advance so I won't have to wait as long?

And I know for sure that I will need to take the GREs again if things happen to not work out this round. I believe I got Q: 142, V: 152, and AW: 3.5 (didn't finish one essay in time - I know if I did, I would have at least gotten a 4.0). My GPA for my Psych BA degree is 3.6 but I believe my GPA for the SLP postbacc undergrad courses was something like a 3.7. I communicated often with my professors who gave my recommendations and they definitely remembered me and my work in their classes so I believe those reference letters were strong but I suppose there's no way to be sure unless the schools specifically point them out as a weakness. I also got a recommendation from an SLP at the school I work at whom I've observed and who essentially was responsible for getting me the job there. I actually saw her letter and it seemed good to me although it was short.

I think I had a strong personal statement and gave it to my family members + husband to read and they are all very good at essay composition/editing so I basically had 5 people look over and make corrections/suggestions. If I change anything in my personal statements, it would be to add more about what drew me to those programs in particular. I touched on it in a few of my essays but didn't go more into detail because I didn't want to exceed the word count more than I already had. The ones I did get to go into detail about because the schools had bigger word counts, I've gotten interviews for. So I'm assuming that was a factor. But if I do choose to alter my SOP, I'll be sure to get in touch with my past professors to go over it and give pointers on how to possibly strengthen it

Edited by SpeechLaedy

2 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Thank you. I actually have already planned to contact the schools to find out my weaknesses (and some schools I applied to had about 8% acceptance rates so I know for some that, in itself, is something I can't help). But I figured I would try to wait until after I hear back from all of them. However, since I have not yet looked at when the deadlines for the few spring applications are for, do you think it would be wise to contact them now to get their answers in advance so I won't have to wait as long?

And I know for sure that I will need to take the GREs again if things happen to not work out this round. I believe I got Q: 142, V: 152, and AW: 3.5 (didn't finish one essay in time - I know if I did, I would have at least gotten a 4.0). My GPA for my Psych BA degree is 3.6 but I believe my GPA for the SLP postbacc undergrad courses was something like a 3.7. I communicated often with my professors who gave my recommendations and they definitely remembered me and my work in their classes so I believe those reference letters were strong but I suppose there's no way to be sure unless the schools specifically point them out as a weakness. I also got a recommendation from an SLP at the school I work at whom I've observed and who essentially was responsible for getting me the job there. I actually saw her letter and it seemed good to me although it was short.

I think I had a strong personal statement and gave it to my family members + husband to read and they are all very good at essay composition/editing so I basically had 5 people look over and make corrections/suggestions. If I change anything in my personal statements, it would be to add more about what drew me to those programs in particular. I touched on it in a few of my essays but didn't go more into detail because I didn't want to exceed the word count more than I already had. The ones I did get to go into detail about because the schools had bigger word counts, I've gotten interviews for. So I'm assuming that was a factor.. 

It looks like you already have everything you need to do lined up! I know that a big factor is that NY is a competitive state, too.

Yes, I would personally contact schools you have already been rejected to. I wouldn't contact schools you haven't heard from yet. This is a total side note, but I wonder if it would help if you contacted schools you haven't heard from yet to show your interest...? I have heard (rare) stories of people getting in because they were on wait lists and were accepted after reaching out to their top choice, saying they were their top choice and that they would enroll if admitted. No idea if this would work here, but it's just a thought.

Your GPA is great and it sounds like your statement and recommendations were excellent, too. Another idea is that I read that some schools/programs will not look at your essay if it is over their word limit AT ALL because they consider it as not adhering to requirements/following directions. Did you actually go over on any? Again, I'm not sure if that happens often and only the schools can tell you if it did. I also had a hard time fitting everything in I wanted to say, but I have been told it is important to mention why each school is a good fit.

I know this sucks to hear, but you could work on your GRE scores for the next round if needed, since you did not meet the cumulative 300 threshold. If your math score was a little higher and you had a writing prompt that allowed you to manage your time for that 4.0, it might make your application stronger.

I say all of this, but I had weak areas in my application (see my signature), and I truly believe my LoRs and experience made the difference. Maybe more in-field experience could make the difference for you, too.

Don't give up!!! I was in your boat not long ago. I applied 2x and rejected to all schools, not even a waitlist. This year I have been accepted to 2 schools, waitlisted at one, and still waiting on a couple more. My GPA is not high, my GRE is only a bit higher than average, and I didn't have a single professor write a letter of recommendation. After getting rejected 2 years in a row, I took a couple years to make myself a better applicant and broaden my options.

I really hope you get in somewhere this year, but if for some reason you don't feel free to PM me with any questions. I was very analytical in this application cycle and think that's what helped me, in addition to some other things. Good luck!

I am applied to wayy more schools than you and have got rejected from majority of them and got wailisted at 2. So I am definitely on the same boat as you. This major/career path requires perseverance. Both your GPAs are higher than mine. Try for Spring Semester. From a current SLP who spoke in one my classes he was wailisted at majority of the schools he applied too for fall but then applied for Spring and was accepted to two schools. Thats my Plan B.

I emailed one of the schools I was rejected from and received great feedback. It was tough to deal with the flaws that had led to my rejection from that school but it is something I can work on.

Please don't give up! This was my third round completing applications after many rejections and waitlists not getting anywhere. This year I was accepted into two programs. What really helped me improve my applications was retaking the gre and bumping up that writing score from a 3.5 to a 4, having more than most minimums of letters of recommendation (3) and doing 4 and volunteering. I was able to volunteer at an integrated preschool! It shows commitment and I was able to shadow the slp there which definitely helped why I wanted to be in this career.

Please don't give up!! I'm in the same boat as you, and I actually started applying to social work programs. But it took some more rejections and time for me to realize that would be more school and not what I really want. 

But those of you that had to apply for a third year, did you ask the same professors to write letters that you did year 1? That's my biggest fear because by December, it would be almost 2 years since I had these profs for class. 

Also, try spring! I'm going to start prepping for that and I'm also getting my paraprofessional license and hoping to work at a special ed school over the next year :) 

but don't give up!! We cannot give up!!

Thank you so much to everyone for all your thoughtful words of encouragement!! I truly truuuly appreciate it! I am so incredibly happy to say that today I received an acceptance from LIU POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????????????????? I literally cried tears of joy as soon as I saw the words "Congratulations" in the email subject. I am seriously so incredibly overjoyed. You were so right @plume. All I need is ONE! After 5 CONSECUTIVE PAINFUL REJECTIONS.... the 6th is a YES!!!! Thank GOD!!! ???

1 hour ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Thank you so much to everyone for all your thoughtful words of encouragement!! I truly truuuly appreciate it! I am so incredibly happy to say that today I received an acceptance from LIU POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????????????????? I literally cried tears of joy as soon as I saw the words "Congratulations" in the email subject. I am seriously so incredibly overjoyed. You were so right @plume. All I need is ONE! After 5 CONSECUTIVE PAINFUL REJECTIONS.... the 6th is a YES!!!! Thank GOD!!! ???

YOU DID IT!!!!  Congrats!!!!  You're on your way to becoming a speech-language pathologist.  :D

14 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Yayyyyyy! Congratulations!!!

On 4/21/2017 at 0:25 PM, AlwaysaFalcon said:

@SpeechLaedy Congratulations! I remember that feeling! The best in the world :) Happened for me this year after trying for three application cycles!

OMG I was so devastated to have to think about applying to more cycles. I def thought I would have to though after getting all those rejections. Man, as hard as I tried in my undergad, these rejections will make you second guess yourself. This major is really just that incredibly tough to get into. I hope more people REALLY take that into account. Because I always heard that the field is "competitive" but did not realize until I started to go on forums and saw just how many people with great stats got rejections, etc. Anyway, I digress. Congrats on you're acceptance as well!! We're on our way!!! ????

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:35 PM, SpeechLaedy said:

OMG I was so devastated to have to think about applying to more cycles. I def thought I would have to though after getting all those rejections. Man, as hard as I tried in my undergad, these rejections will make you second guess yourself. This major is really just that incredibly tough to get into. I hope more people REALLY take that into account. Because I always heard that the field is "competitive" but did not realize until I started to go on forums and saw just how many people with great stats got rejections, etc. Anyway, I digress. Congrats on you're acceptance as well!! We're on our way!!! ????

Yes we are :) ! No more filling out grad applications! Woo! :) But I agree I did not realize how competitive it was until the rejections came in! Professors warned us but did not take it seriously until then.