DrPH Applicants Fall 2018

RR02

I also got into GWU's DrPH program in Health Behavior, but no word on funding. I emailed the assoc. director of assistantships  and received a disheartening reply..."There are some assistantships and fellowships that are awarded by faculty during the admissions process.  At this time you have been admitted to the program but funding has not been offered.  Eligible students could pursue loan funding as an option." I'm not sure if there's some sort of implication here that funding could be offered, at some point? Hesitant to get my hopes up. I'm waiting to hear back from the Director and hoping she'll have more information. I really doubt I would go if no funding or assistantships were available or offered - not sure how I would finance it aside from loans and I have no real interest in adding to my student debt...

2 hours ago, Eris2018 said:

I also got into GWU's DrPH program in Health Behavior, but no word on funding. I emailed the assoc. director of assistantships  and received a disheartening reply..."There are some assistantships and fellowships that are awarded by faculty during the admissions process.  At this time you have been admitted to the program but funding has not been offered.  Eligible students could pursue loan funding as an option." I'm not sure if there's some sort of implication here that funding could be offered, at some point? Hesitant to get my hopes up. I'm waiting to hear back from the Director and hoping she'll have more information. I really doubt I would go if no funding or assistantships were available or offered - not sure how I would finance it aside from loans and I have no real interest in adding to my student debt...

I got the same message exact message when I sent him an email. I do not think this means funding will be forthcoming because I had emailed the program director first so if they were going offer something she would have mentioned it. I'm in the same boat re: previous student loan debt.

Edited by DraPHt2016

52 minutes ago, DraPHt2016 said:

I got the same message exact message when I sent him an email. I do not think this means funding will be forthcoming because I had emailed the program director first so if they were going offer something she would have mentioned it. I'm in the same boat re: previous student loan debt.

That's really a bummer, as I really love their program. Hopefully we hear more, but in the meantime I'm hoping for another funded offer to come through :/. 

5 hours ago, Eris2018 said:

That's really a bummer, as I really love their program. Hopefully we hear more, but in the meantime I'm hoping for another funded offer to come through :/. 

6 hours ago, DraPHt2016 said:

I got the same exact message from him too. However, I emailed the program director for GH and she said I was on a waitlist for scholarships/assistantships...she said this year was really competitive for both admission and funding so they won't find out for a while if they can scrape up more funding :/ 

On 2/28/2018 at 12:43 PM, DrPHtobe said:

Would those that got into George Washington DrPH mind sharing their stats? I'd like to know if there is something specific that I need to improve for next time (in 2 years! Grr)

No problem: undergrad and MPH GPAs were both 3.9, 3 years work experience for INGO post-MPH, GRE: verbal 91%, quant 81%, writing 49%). I have very specific research/career interests which seemed to be a draw for both schools I applied to/interviewed at. I had been in contact with the professors I'm interested in working with and was able to meet with them in person which I think was helpful. Good luck at the next round! So frustrating that its not for two years :/

10 minutes ago, drph_324 said:

No problem: undergrad and MPH GPAs were both 3.9, 3 years work experience for INGO post-MPH, GRE: verbal 91%, quant 81%, writing 49%). I have very specific research/career interests which seemed to be a draw for both schools I applied to/interviewed at. I had been in contact with the professors I'm interested in working with and was able to meet with them in person which I think was helpful. Good luck at the next round! So frustrating that its not for two years :/

Thank you! That's really helpful.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:09 PM, lincoln.hawks said:

New to this forum. Applied to Colorado School of Public Health's Community and Behavioral Health DrPH program. Had an interview 2 weeks ago. Waiting game right now. It's been the longest 2 weeks of my life. 

My understanding is that the decision letters will come out next week.

Besides Emjayco, anyone else applying to this program?

Fingers Crossed. 

Best of luck to all

Just got my rejection email from CSPH. 

Just received my Acceptance email to CSPH CBH program today. They offered me $5,000 in funding for the first year, which is about half of the tuition cost based on an 18 credit/year. 

Wishing everyone the best. This has been among the more stressful 2-week periods in my life.

@emjaycoJust saw your post from earlier this week (seems like forever ago). I applied to CSPH last year and had an interview then rejected. The director of the CBH DrPH concentration/ chairwoman of the admissions committee informed me that the CBH concentration received 30 or so applications, interviewed 7, and ended up with 2 (or 3, I forget) students that enrolled in the fall. It seems like the program is different from the bigger east coast programs as each student that is offered admission has to be linked up with a professor, who only has one advisee at a time (I think). It's a newer program. 

I had identified my potential advisor last year and we stayed in touch. The CBH director also suggested I take MPH classes to ensure that PH is really the right discipline for me (I am a social worker right now) and apply again this year. I had the advantage of working on several projects and committees with faculty members related to my job so had some exposure that was hard for others to match.

My focus on mental health and veterans happened to be very timely for the school's plans over the next few years. 

Let me know if I can be of any assistance and best of luck with your decision.

24 minutes ago, DrPH_WannaBe said:

Does anyone know if JHU is interviewing this year? Couldn't find any reference to interviews in years past, but maybe someone on here knows...?

My understanding is that JHU don't interview for DrPH.

21 hours ago, DrPH_WannaBe said:

Does anyone know if JHU is interviewing this year? Couldn't find any reference to interviews in years past, but maybe someone on here knows...?

I emailed JHU admissions about when decisions would be coming out and about interviews. Was told decisions will be made mid March and interviews are only done on an as needed basic. They said that an interview is not indicative of acceptance.

6 hours ago, Globalhealthgirl said:

I emailed JHU admissions about when decisions would be coming out and about interviews. Was told decisions will be made mid March and interviews are only done on an as needed basic. They said that an interview is not indicative of acceptance.

Great! Thank you for reaching out!

First time posting to this thread but I’ve been lurking for the past couple of weeks. Just received my acceptance letter from Hopkins for the DrPH program in health policy (health IT track)! Congrats to all those who have already received good news and best of luck to all those still waiting! Sending lots of positive vibes and encouragement to any of you who didn’t get into your top choice. 

32 minutes ago, HIT_Policy_Maven said:

First time posting to this thread but I’ve been lurking for the past couple of weeks. Just received my acceptance letter from Hopkins for the DrPH program in health policy (health IT track)! Congrats to all those who have already received good news and best of luck to all those still waiting! Sending lots of positive vibes and encouragement to any of you who didn’t get into your top choice. 

Thats' awesome! Congrats. Hopefully they'll put us out of our misery this week then.... Thanks for letting us know :)

How did you find out?

2 hours ago, HIT_Policy_Maven said:

How did you find out?