Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

3 hours ago, fortsibut said:

Congrats on the Hopkins acceptance, and good luck on finishing the thesis!  I have the final pre-defense draft due this weekend myself and I feel like I have a long way to go.  Looking forward to having a drink once it's emailed to my readers and then a couple of stiff drinks to celebrate before I prepare for the defense itself!

Thanks a bunch! Yeah at 5:01pm its gonna be lit... but probably because any celebratory drinks are going to hit me extra hard on only a few hours of sleep. Good luck on your end! 

3 hours ago, VAZ said:

I saw your Result Post yesterday afternoon, which made me super nervous. Congrats! Let's meet on the Recruitment Day.

BTW, I thought JHU was not taking any medievalist this year...Spiegel is planning to retire, and El-Leithy is only an Assistant Prof.... just curious, who did you put as your POI?

Yay! A future friend, perhaps. My mom actually lives in Annapolis so it will be a nice trip to relax a bit with her as well. You're studying early modern? The two best periods of history ;) 

I applied to work with Spiegel, and Spiegel's who I got. :D I'm very excited since she seems so cool. Was a little worried too since she is quite old.

3 minutes ago, SFischer said:

MINE TOO

It's really early in the cycle for rejections, so I'm hoping and praying to Thor...but, I don't want to get my hopes up. I've already come to terms with being rejected and the shaking has started all over again.

3 minutes ago, khigh said:

It's really early in the cycle for rejections, so I'm hoping and praying to Thor...but, I don't want to get my hopes up. I've already come to terms with being rejected and the shaking has started all over again.

Waiting on ad-coms, trying to figure out what they think about you, overanalyzing every word from your POI... it's all really like being in a bad relationship, isn't it?

Final Review -Your program has made its decision.  Our admissions officers are conducting a final review of your materials and preparing your decision letter.   This stage may last anywhere from 1 business day to one week, depending on volume.

That's what they say about Final Review...so, I am going to be nervous for awhile.

11 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Waiting on ad-coms, trying to figure out what they think about you, overanalyzing every word from your POI... it's all really like being in a bad relationship, isn't it?

I went over my writing sample and SOP to see where I could improve last night. They don't read great, but weirdly, the thing I am most worried about is I actually stated the theory I prescribe to and no one at the U does Hegel (Phenomenology). I'd have to read more theory and find something else if none of them will take that on. 

And now I am over analyzing what it means to get a Final Review this early in February. Not many people have posted acceptances yet and rejections seem to come late February...and this means I will be crushed if it's a rejection. 

Edited by khigh

It's going too fast. Decision Made...just updated again.

• Decision Made - Your decision is posted and your letter will be available within one business day.    You will receive an email from our office when your letter is ready to view.  (You will access your letter through your application dashboard.)

Edited by khigh

3 minutes ago, SFischer said:

IT JUST CHANGED TO DECISION MADE. Anxiety is through the roof. 

That means TODAY! Or Monday. I'm going with today.  Being at work is going to be hard. It's a slow season for us, so I can be on the forums and checking email allllllll day.

16 minutes ago, khigh said:

That means TODAY! Or Monday. I'm going with today.  Being at work is going to be hard. It's a slow season for us, so I can be on the forums and checking email allllllll day.

Saw this checked my status with Minnesota but no change for me.  Still says "awaiting program decision." Wonder what that means for me. I am assuming it's a rejection on my part.  Hope that means you are getting in though since it was your top (and only) pick.

5 minutes ago, Banzailizard said:

Saw this checked my status with Minnesota but no change for me.  Still says "awaiting program decision." Wonder what that means for me. I am assuming it's a rejection on my part.  Hope that means you are getting in though since it was your top (and only) pick.

I’m at work today and Monday, so either way, I know I’m going to cry. I hope you get in too!

4 minutes ago, TheLearnedPig said:

Good luck, @khigh

Everyone can see how much this means to you, and I am certainly keeping my fingers crossed

Thank you! The only thing I would be disappointed about is that the person I really have wanted to work for since I started undergrad retired. But, I've met him for coffee and have been told in the past that he could work as an unofficial consultant if I get in. I really just don't want to have to stop going to colloquium meetings, but I think I will still go if I am rejected. They're fun and the speakers are usually great. 

1 hour ago, khigh said:

I hope it’s today because the weekend will be rough otherwise!!

Im having such a hard time paying attention in class right now. 

Edited by SFischer

10 minutes ago, SFischer said:

I hope it’s today because the weekend will be rough otherwise!!

Oh, I know. I just want to start preparing myself. There is a colloquium meeting I really want to attend on the 21st ("Poetic Riverscapes in the Early Middle Ages") and I need to know asap so I can either schmooze or say thank you. 

I also need to know if I need to start working on a new early modern outfit. They do a volunteer outreach program with local junior highs here. Early Modernists dress in period clothing and talk to students about life in Europe in the period. They have now started to include an astrolabe in the program. It will take me awhile to sew a new dress if I get in.

So, it looks like the Chicago acceptances so far have been Early Modern Europe, East Asian, and Ancient History.. Any US History acceptances at Chicago, yet? I know that based on past year postings, it looks like they stagger their acceptances quite a bit, but just wondering. 

Hope everyone is doing well - we're starting to get in the true thick of admissions decisions!

I've been going over all the data on the survey for the program. Either we are the earliest people to ever get rejected from the U according to the reports (earliest before now is 2/8) or we will hear good news (most acceptances are between 2/2 and 2/8). Hoping for the latter and preparing for the former.