Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

41 minutes ago, Ragu said:

Just got in at UC Davis! So confirmation that your conversation is a good sign 

Great news! What is your geographic area/time period?

Edited by astroid88

9 hours ago, noctua said:

Thanks, rex-sidereus-- Kristina Sessa and David Brakke! Anthony Kaldellis is also there, and he's sort of a Byzantine studies rockstar, which is a tertiary interest of mine. It's a great fit and they have a superb placement rate, so I'm really thrilled.\

EDIT: I see your program is Byzantine studies-- sorry for explaining to you who Kaldellis is :)

I'm really glad it worked out for you! I'm waiting for my results, so living vicariously through :). And I also do Late Antique stuff, but not so much textuality and religion (ah, the unwholesome bishops and gnosticism which did not really exist), so the fit wasn't ideal for me to feel motivated to apply. 

Do not walk past Kaldellis though. The man is unbelievably intellectually diverse, prolific, and fluid. And also very nice. We were chatting, and he ended up picking apart my thesis which is on classical Athenian rhetoric and law, which was extremely helpful. And we have a few grad students in ancient history here in Cornell who came from OSU and speak very highly of him.

23 hours ago, Neist said:

I guess it depends on what one considers common, but it's not unheard of, at least. And I imagine this is largely dependent on the department, university, and POI. 

If you did or did not hear back from a POI, I wouldn't necessarily believe it distinctly applies anything in particular.

Really annoying when you find a fairly significant typo after you've lost the ability to edit a post. :D 

15 hours ago, TMP said:

If the POI says that you're been admitted, s/he should mention that an official letter from the Graduate School or the DGS should be forthcoming. Don't believe it until the letter is actually in your hands (particularly if funding details are included).

As for OSU, good grief, learn to say "Ohio State" or "OSU" as to keep us separate from another university called "Ohio University" which has no PhD program in History... :) Anyway, I'm here to answer any questions!  (Except for admissions process as I'm out of the country and thereby not there to badger the grad coordinator on your behalf ;) )

"Ohio State, to which we are supposed to refer to as OSU" was actually a running joke between me and the profs who helped me but together my grad options/applications. It was a collective learning process :D 

9 hours ago, grubyczarnykot said:

Hi! I was wondering what it might mean if your POI contacted you for a skype chat and tried to convince you basically to choose their program over others you had applied to? It wasn't a formal interview from what I gathered -- should I just take this with a grain of salt and not get my hopes up? I was really confident and happy after the "interview" but now I'm just even more anxious because people initially told me that meant I was probably in but I don't want to be crushed if I get rejected... :unsure:

I got two interviews like this before applying. But I am still very worried since one of them began to send offers, while I have nothing.

Hello everyone, 

I found someone who got an interview from Northwestern said that 

POI said the department will make the decision in next week

But my POI told me that the committee will first meet in the mid-Feb.

Could anyone explain why...:unsure:and which one should I take seriously??

11 minutes ago, ba1dp said:

I got two interviews like this before applying. But I am still very worried since one of them began to send offers, while I have nothing.

Hey! It was actually after I applied -- about 10 days after the application was due. I had also spoken to her on the phone prior to applying, but this was something that she initiated via email after I submitted my app. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, grubyczarnykot said:

Hey! It was actually after I applied -- about 10 days after the application was due. I had also spoken to her on the phone prior to applying, but this was something that she initiated via email after I submitted my app. Good luck!

Wish us good luck! Figure crossed. 

1 hour ago, rex-sidereus said:

"Ohio State, to which we are supposed to refer to as OSU" was actually a running joke between me and the profs who helped me but together my grad options/applications. It was a collective learning process :D 

oh  yeah... it's definitely so.  When my now-adviser read a draft of my SOP, she put in "THE" in front of Ohio State University.... At the time, I couldn't understand what the big deal was.  Until I got to the campus and heard all about Urban Meyer the football coach behind the "THE" campaign.  

1 hour ago, ba1dp said:

Hello everyone, 

I found someone who got an interview from Northwestern said that 

POI said the department will make the decision in next week

But my POI told me that the committee will first meet in the mid-Feb.

Could anyone explain why...:unsure:and which one should I take seriously??

Can't offer any useful info, but am curious about this as well. If last year's results are any indication, acceptances should start going out this week. But they could also be operating on a totally different timetable this year so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21 minutes ago, TMP said:

oh  yeah... it's definitely so.  When my now-adviser read a draft of my SOP, she put in "THE" in front of Ohio State University.... At the time, I couldn't understand what the big deal was.  Until I got to the campus and heard all about Urban Meyer the football coach behind the "THE" campaign.  

OSU is seriously hardcore about the "the." I'm friends with a few Buckeyes and it cracks me up. I did my undergrad at another "the" university — The University of Iowa — but I never felt like people at Iowa were such sticklers about the "the" part! 

26 minutes ago, TMP said:

Every time I see OSU, I think Oklahoma State, so I'm glad there is a differentiation.