Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

On 1/26/2018 at 2:29 PM, Qtf311 said:

Is it safe to say that if you do not get an interview request you are not a top prospect?

It varies from program to program. In my program, it varies from POI to POI. Some interview, others don't. 

I have received an email from an admissions officer informing me that the committee is unable to take favorable action on your application for admission to the program I applied. But they felt that my application should be forwarded to another Committee on a different program because it "might better suit my interests." Any ideas on how to interpret this? 

Edited by CBC

For those who like looking at graphs. Wanted to cross-post something from the "Waiting It Out" forum for those who tend to only frequent the History threads.   
@there_is_a_wait_so_long  created graphs using gradcafe data which include :

• Decision timeline as a cumulative sum of decisions (accept, reject, interview, waitlist) as a function of time between Jan 1 and May 1 for the last five years combined.
  • Boxplots of GRE Q and GRE V for people who reported both scores.
  • Histogram of GPAs (from 2.5 to 4.0 with 0.1 step).

Link here: https://imgur.com/a/lXdLe

Source:

Edited by Guest345

53 minutes ago, Guest345 said:

For those who like looking at graphs. Wanted to cross-post something from the "Waiting It Out" forum for those who tend to only frequent the History threads.   
@there_is_a_wait_so_long  created graphs using gradcafe data which include :

• Decision timeline as a cumulative sum of decisions (accept, reject, interview, waitlist) as a function of time between Jan 1 and May 1 for the last five years combined.
  • Boxplots of GRE Q and GRE V for people who reported both scores.
  • Histogram of GPAs (from 2.5 to 4.0 with 0.1 step).

Link here: https://imgur.com/a/lXdLe

Source:

Really though, it's just another thing that makes me anxious. 

I'm of two minds on this graph. On the one hand, It's pretty useful to see (generally) when to expect the decisions to come out; however, average GRE and GPA are kind of irrelevant for History insofar as you can be rejected despite good grades and GRE or accepted despite lousy GREs. I could see how this would be useful for STEM people whose applications are based more on these figures, but History has a lot more unquantifiable variables like SoP and LoRs.

Edited by Manuscriptess

I was wondering if someone could help me out with some recommendations. Currently, I'm an history undergrad at a top ten public university, working on my undergrad honor's thesis. My thesis revolves around neoliberalism, communism, and the LGBT community in 1980s Britain. I have language skills in latin and am developing skills in French. I've been looking for Modern European PhD programs in the U.S. with a strong emphasis on cultural British history and gender and sexuality. Are there any great departments I should be keeping in mind? 

On 1/10/2018 at 1:44 AM, jocorac said:

Hello everyone! 

Finally, after reading all the posts long enough I decided to stop being shy and reply. 

Just a little about me and what I plan on doing. 

I Attended North Carolina Central University from 2011-2014, earned BA degree in History, Secondary Education. Went back to NCCU again (obviously I love the place lol ) from 2015 -2017, just graduated in December with a MA in History. My focus is African American Public History, primarily Civil Rights Movement. I am applying to 3 universities, NC State, Middle Tennessee and UNCG. Really hoping for NC State or Middle Tennessee. Strong GPA, GRE scores are not the best but thankfully, the departments at NC State and MTSU do not require you to send them if you have recently graduated with a MA degree (Just a tip I found out from the schools themselves). I have some internship experience so hopefully that will also push me over. I also taught public high school, was a TA and taught a college course at NCCU. My future plans include working in the museum setting, hopefully African American based or becoming a professor. 

Hope to connect with you guys on this journey. Apps are due soon so panic mode is slowly starting to set in lol. 

Wanted to update and say that I got accepted into NC State!! My top choice!

53 minutes ago, JVirginia said:

I was wondering if someone could help me out with some recommendations. Currently, I'm an history undergrad at a top ten public university, working on my undergrad honor's thesis. My thesis revolves around neoliberalism, communism, and the LGBT community in 1980s Britain. I have language skills in latin and am developing skills in French. I've been looking for Modern European PhD programs in the U.S. with a strong emphasis on cultural British history and gender and sexuality. Are there any great departments I should be keeping in mind? 

You may want to make a separate topic for this. Not everyone on the History board reads this thread. 

2 hours ago, JVirginia said:

First place that comes to mind is Columbia! Emily Rutherford is there. Also, George Chauncey, who does US history but might be the top scholar of the LGBT community in the contemporary period.

2 hours ago, JVirginia said:

Dr. Charles Upchurch is a brilliant scholar on British Gender/LGBT history, though he focuses on Victorian London. I worked with him at Florida State University and he's one of the best professors I've ever had the honor to study under, but be warned that FSU isn't great at giving funding to graduate students, especially those in the Masters program. I can tell you more about the grad program there if you would like to pm me.

You might also want to consider Rutgers (Upchurch's alma mater) and Wisconsin-Madison - they're the top two schools for gender history in the US. UNC-Chapel Hill and Ohio State might also be worth looking into

5 hours ago, CBC said:

I have received an email from an admissions officer informing me that the committee is unable to take favorable action on your application for admission to the program I applied. But they felt that my application should be forwarded to another Committee on a different program because it "might better suit my interests." Any ideas on how to interpret this? 

It means what they say: your application was not a good fit for their program but they still think it might have a shot elsewhere on campus given your interests, your background, and the whole package. 

No news is good news, right? Right?! I'm prepared to need one more cycle, but next cycle I will also apply to law school. I like that law schools is just a numbers game and my numbers are good.  I took the LSAT last year for fun (it was free, the LAC gives out waivers like candy) and got a 174. 

4 hours ago, Manuscriptess said:

I'm of two minds on this graph. On the one hand, It's pretty useful to see (generally) when to expect the decisions to come out; however, average GRE and GPA are kind of irrelevant for History insofar as you can be rejected despite good grades and GRE or accepted despite lousy GREs. I could see how this would be useful for STEM people whose applications are based more on these figures, but History has a lot more unquantifiable variables like SoP and LoRs.

Agreed, plus the fact that GPA and GRE are less consistent since only ~1/3 or less of people include theirs on the results page a lot of the time, and sometimes mix up the number order for GRE, typos, etc.  The binary system of "I got in" or "I didn't get in" (or "I got an interview," I guess) is a lot more reliable.

EDIT:  Should say that I still enjoyed that thread and found the graphs interesting for result date purposes.

Edited by fortsibut

2 minutes ago, fortsibut said:

Agreed, plus the fact that GPA and GRE are less consistent since only ~1/3 or less of people include theirs on the results page a lot of the time, and sometimes mix up the number order for GRE, typos, etc.

Definitely-- although the one thing that is kind of helpful is the time frame of when the admits come out. Fingers crossed for hearing back soon and for my interview this week. 

3 minutes ago, Manuscriptess said:

Definitely-- although the one thing that is kind of helpful is the time frame of when the admits come out. Fingers crossed for hearing back soon and for my interview this week. 

Yeah agreed, was just updating my post to include that.  Good luck with your interview!  I still have 3+ weeks left 'til Cornell results come out, if last year's results are any indication, so I'm living vicariously through those of you who are getting accepted earlier in the meantime.  =)

6 minutes ago, fortsibut said:

Yeah agreed, was just updating my post to include that.  Good luck with your interview!  I still have 3+ weeks left 'til Cornell results come out, if last year's results are any indication, so I'm living vicariously through those of you who are getting accepted earlier in the meantime.  =)

Thanks-- you too! I did my BA at Cornell and LOVE Ithaca! DM if you need a recommendation on places to live or food

25 minutes ago, SFischer said:

Has anyone received a rejection from the University of Minnesota this season? I still haven’t heard one way or the other but I’m wondering if anyone else has. 

No rejection yet either. I'm less worried now than I was because I have a backup plan, but I still want to know.

I feel like Jon Snow every time my parents call because all I can tell them is "I know nothing."

Edited by khigh

14 minutes ago, khigh said:

No rejection yet either. I'm less worried now than I was because I have a backup plan, but I still want to know.

I feel like Jon Snow every time my parents call because all I can tell them is "I know nothing."

Me too. My parents and roommates keep asking but I keep telling them, “Trust me you’ll know when I know!”