Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

5 minutes ago, CBC said:

Thank you DGrayson for your reply. You are quite right that a good fit with both the department and adviser outweighs other considerations. My sub concentration is intellectual history of the 15th, 16th, and 17th centuries. Harvard is thus strong in that area, that is why I'm slightly uncertain about Yale's strength and competitive edge in the job market.

She's going to the Institute of Advanced Studies.

Grafton seems a safe choice for the intellectual history of Early Modern Europe in general.. Is he still taking students?

6 minutes ago, Imenol said:

Grafton seems a safe choice for the intellectual history of Early Modern Europe in general.. Is he still taking students?

haven't contacted him. Been in touch with another early modernist.

21 minutes ago, Imenol said:

No, he and I spoke about it at AHA this year. He's suffering from some health issues and doesn't think he can devote the time/energy necessary to training a grad student.

5 hours ago, Sumner224 said:

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, who were you looking to work with at UIUC?

Thanks! Hope to work with Maria Todorova, whom I singled out as a potential supervisor in my SoP. Also mentioned Hitchins, Randolph, Steinberg, and Cuno; they were all cc'd in the e-mail I got from DGS. 

37 minutes ago, VladL said:

Thanks! Hope to work with Maria Todorova, whom I singled out as a potential supervisor in my SoP. Also mentioned Hitchins, Randolph, Steinberg, and Cuno; they were all cc'd in the e-mail I got from DGS. 

Sounds like a good lineup. If you do come and get to work a bit with Randolph, I can tell you from personal experience that he's easily one of the most dedicated and down-to-Earth advisors that I know. 

Good luck on your other applications too!

5 minutes ago, pim81590 said:

@lordtiandao thanks for the heads-up re: UCLA. Have you heard anything from Berkeley yet? I was surprised no acceptances or rejections were sent today. 

I was too. There was someone who posted about being waitlisted but I wonder if they called their POI. Apparently Berkeley sends out some acceptances first and then rejections a couple of days later, at least according to the past entries. Unless they are waiting to do everything at once, I think we may see acceptances in the next couple of days and then rejections shortly after. 

Edited by DGrayson

@DGrayson yeah--that waitlist result seemed super weird to me--you're right, they must have directly asked someone. Hoping we hear everything (both good and bad news...) within the next week or so. Good luck with your apps!

19 minutes ago, pim81590 said:

@DGrayson yeah--that waitlist result seemed super weird to me--you're right, they must have directly asked someone. Hoping we hear everything (both good and bad news...) within the next week or so. Good luck with your apps!

You too!

How often (or how rare) is it to receive a package of 30000+ dollars yearly stipend nowadays? I'm kind of shocked by seeing this much money on my admission letter.

Edited by VAZ

10 minutes ago, VAZ said:

How often (or how rare) is it to receive a package of 30000+ dollars yearly stipend nowadays? I'm kind of shocked by seeing this much money on my admission letter.

It's heavily dependent on the university. If you're in NYC or Boston, your stipend has to be larger than it would be in Cleveland.

Hopkins told me it was $29,500 in the 2016-2017 year, so it's possible it's gone up.

New here. Just curious if any recent JHU admits or current students are hanging out in this thread?

Also, does anyone have suggestions on what new admits should ask both professors and current grad students about prospective programs (apologies if this is answered elsewhere)?

Congrats to all of those newly admitted somewhere, and best wishes to those waiting!

53 minutes ago, Owly said:

New here. Just curious if any recent JHU admits or current students are hanging out in this thread?

Also, does anyone have suggestions on what new admits should ask both professors and current grad students about prospective programs (apologies if this is answered elsewhere)?

Congrats to all of those newly admitted somewhere, and best wishes to those waiting!

First year student at Hopkins here, studying Chinese history.

1 hour ago, Owly said:

Hey, semi-lurker here. I'm actually currently in an art history MA and was/am attempting to make the disciplinary leap over to a history department. I was just admitted to Hopkins this morning, studying western medieval. Very excited!!! Was also surprised by the high stipend and very flattered by the warm welcomes from several grad students and my POI. Looking forward to the visiting days in March.

It really took a load off stress-wise, but also is a terrible distraction bc my MA thesis is due in 13 hours. Let's just say there are, uh, miles to go before I sleep....

3 hours ago, unanachronism said:

Hey, semi-lurker here. I'm actually currently in an art history MA and was/am attempting to make the disciplinary leap over to a history department. I was just admitted to Hopkins this morning, studying western medieval. Very excited!!! Was also surprised by the high stipend and very flattered by the warm welcomes from several grad students and my POI. Looking forward to the visiting days in March.

It really took a load off stress-wise, but also is a terrible distraction bc my MA thesis is due in 13 hours. Let's just say there are, uh, miles to go before I sleep....

Congrats on the Hopkins acceptance, and good luck on finishing the thesis!  I have the final pre-defense draft due this weekend myself and I feel like I have a long way to go.  Looking forward to having a drink once it's emailed to my readers and then a couple of stiff drinks to celebrate before I prepare for the defense itself!

@35mm_Very sorry to hear that. I think your experience with UCLA is one of the major problems with the UC system. Because of funding issues, it's much cheaper for them to fund a US student than an international student, and a professor at Berkeley explicitly told me I should make it clear on my application that I was a US citizen because he told me it was very difficult for international applicants to get in. Hope to hear good news from you on your other applications!

Also, does anyone know how funding package details are sent out? I received my official USC offer letter today, but it doesn't mention any type of funding and the web portal doesn't state it either.

3 hours ago, unanachronism said:

I saw your Result Post yesterday afternoon, which made me super nervous. Congrats! Let's meet on the Recruitment Day.

BTW, I thought JHU was not taking any medievalist this year...Spiegel is planning to retire, and El-Leithy is only an Assistant Prof.... just curious, who did you put as your POI?

Edited by VAZ