Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

14 hours ago, mswapplicant18 said:

Anyone hear from York or U of T? I hate waiting.

I have friends that have gotten acceptances from Dalhousie and McMaster for advanced standing. I didn't apply to either of those schools but I'm still checking my email frequently in case lol. 

I’m waiting for York too!! Though honestly it was kind of a last minute decision for me and I’m not expecting much. I am also not sure if I’d go - my partner will be in Ottawa next year and my heart can’t handle more long distance (I know, Toronto to Ottawa isn’t THAT bad, but now I know what living together is like I don’t really want to give it up). But I’d still like to know soon!!

6 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Same here! I spoke with Stephanie yesterday who said all acceptances will be coming out in waves over the "next few days". That may include Monday. So at least we'll know very soon 

Phew! I know that’s about the two year program but I’m going to hope that one years are coming out in waves too and I might still have a shot. Good luck!!

52 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Anyone get any emails from Carleton today? Mine is still "review in progress by department" -_-

No emails and mine says the same thing. Uggggh and it's the long weekend in Ontario so we won't hear until Tuesday at the earliest. Fuck. 

3 minutes ago, littlebluebird said:

Same here! Nothing has changed on my end. <_<

I stand corrected! I just checked again despite checking three times today already and it has changed to "Review in Progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs"

Check again, it only happened in the last hour!

2 hours ago, magfish said:

No emails and mine says the same thing. Uggggh and it's the long weekend in Ontario so we won't hear until Tuesday at the earliest. Fuck. 

Did your status change on Carleton too? I’m pretty sure the second review in progress indicates an acceptance, otherwise it would be “not recommended for assessment”... I think...

1 hour ago, smntoronto said:

Did your status change on Carleton too? I’m pretty sure the second review in progress indicates an acceptance, otherwise it would be “not recommended for assessment”... I think...

It is changed on Carleton central at the moment. I doubt there I will see any progress over the weekend, yet I am checking over and over!

2 hours ago, littlebluebird said:

I stand corrected! I just checked again despite checking three times today already and it has changed to "Review in Progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs"

Check again, it only happened in the last hour!

Mine is still "review in progress by department" - but I would take that change as a great sign! The other people who've said theirs changed to what yours did seem to have all gotten their acceptances as well! Hopefully you hear back soon with good news. :) 

1 hour ago, smntoronto said:

Not sure what you mean? I haven't had the second status change - it still says "review in process by department". I think you're right that the change to "review in progress by faculty of graduate affairs" is a good sign towards acceptance. I haven't been rejected yet either, but I'm feeling pretty sure that the lack of change means I've probably been waitlisted. Which I mean, maybe not... but no change so far doesn't seem to be the best sign.

Has yours changed to the second one?

13 minutes ago, magfish said:

Mine is still "review in progress by department" - but I would take that change as a great sign! The other people who've said theirs changed to what yours did seem to have all gotten their acceptances as well! Hopefully you hear back soon with good news. :) 

Not sure what you mean? I haven't had the second status change - it still says "review in process by department". I think you're right that the change to "review in progress by faculty of graduate affairs" is a good sign towards acceptance. I haven't been rejected yet either, but I'm feeling pretty sure that the lack of change means I've probably been waitlisted. Which I mean, maybe not... but no change so far doesn't seem to be the best sign.

Has yours changed to the second one?

No :( I’m thinking I’ve orobably been waitlisted. Their order of things seems really off if they haven’t even finished sending out 1 year decisions and have already started sending out 2 year decisions. Some rejections and acceptances all went out this week for both streams. Unless things move alphabetically, I’m really not sure what’s going on. 

9 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

No :( I’m thinking I’ve orobably been waitlisted. Their order of things seems really off if they haven’t even finished sending out 1 year decisions and have already started sending out 2 year decisions. Some rejections and acceptances all went out this week for both streams. Unless things move alphabetically, I’m really not sure what’s going on. 

So - Carleton has always been one of the weird ones who send out one year and two year basically around the same time. In the midst of a biiiiit of anxiety over all of this I read back through the last three or so years threads (well, I searched them for "carleton") and then did some skimming.

The way I (think) it mostly works: rejections for both one and two years go out first, via email and also are updated on carleton central. They all tend to go out around the same time, which makes a bit of sense. If you don't even meet their "bare minimum" or whatever they have decided they just reject you. Those went out at the beginning of the week and if you haven't gotten one by now that is somewhat of a good sign.

Then, in previous years, both one and two year candidates started to have status changes. Most people who reported a change from "by department" to "by grad committee" (or whatever) then later (within a few days) got an acceptance. They seemed to send out one and two years more or less indiscriminately. Alphabetically doesn't make sense nor does anything else anyone could guess as to. My assumption is they send out a chunk of each one day, then roll out more in waves. I assume at some point they will stop with the "initial round" of acceptances (which I'm going to assume also involves at least a few fast rejections whose spots then get sent out to someone else). Then, in the next little while I'm guessing the rest of us will see our waitlist letters too.

I THINK it's possible that acceptances happened on either side of weekends (including the long weekend) in previous years. Again, this makes sense. This process can't just all happen at once, at least I don't think so. At this point we're well past end of day in Ontario so I'm going to guess nothing now means we should all try to abandon checking the site every ten minutes until at least Tuesday.

I'm going to go ahead and do my best to hope that a few more of us are going to hear positive things early next week. Beyond that... I'm going to hope lots of people who get in also get in other places they would rather go, and that the waitlist has more movement than U of Ts does.

Anyways. The admissions committee is human just like us, and I'm doing my best to think that maybe we will still hear good things next week. <3 Fingers crossed for all of us still waiting!

On 2/15/2018 at 10:34 PM, mswapplicant18 said:

Anyone hear from York or U of T? I hate waiting.

I have friends that have gotten acceptances from Dalhousie and McMaster for advanced standing. I didn't apply to either of those schools but I'm still checking my email frequently in case lol. 

following! 

Hey everyone,

I've been a longtime lurker and decided to post and provide an update. So I heard back from the University of Waterloo's MSW program on February 14th. I was accepted on Quest, and received an e-mail offer of admission on February 16th. Their program is quite new but I was attracted to it because it is mostly online and is health-focused, with a more holistic approach to health (i.e. not strictly clinical). 

Like many of you, I am also anxiously waiting to hear back from U of T's advanced standing program (I chose the Health and Mental Health stream). Congratulations to those of you who have already heard back from some of the schools. To those of you who are disappointed or discouraged: It took me three years to get an MSW acceptance. Not all of our paths will be the same, but please know that it is still possible, even if you're being rejected by your dream programs. I decided to go back to school for a BSW last year, as I thought that would increase my chances and it has payed off. Remember that whatever happens, a rejection this year does not mean that you are not going to be a social worker. I was super discouraged after being wait-listed two years in a row to 2 year MSW programs. I was told along the way that in the end, it's a mixture of chance, luck, and having the right credentials according to the applicant pool through which you are being compared. Being wait-listed or rejected doesn't mean you are not fit for the job <3 It might mean more time and effort in strengthening your application, but it is still possible! 

1 hour ago, socialwerqer said:

Hey everyone,

I've been a longtime lurker and decided to post and provide an update. So I heard back from the University of Waterloo's MSW program on February 14th. I was accepted on Quest, and received an e-mail offer of admission on February 16th. Their program is quite new but I was attracted to it because it is mostly online and is health-focused, with a more holistic approach to health (i.e. not strictly clinical). 

Congrats! That's great news! I did my BSW at Waterloo and I also applied for the health and mental health stream at UofT. 

15 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

Congrats! That's great news! I did my BSW at Waterloo and I also applied for the health and mental health stream at UofT. 

Yay! Where did you do your placement? 

I was waitlisted two years in a row at UofT and am hoping that having done a BSW will increase my chances. Did you apply anywhere else? 

30 minutes ago, socialwerqer said:

Yay! Where did you do your placement? 

I was waitlisted two years in a row at UofT and am hoping that having done a BSW will increase my chances. Did you apply anywhere else? 

I did my placement at an organization that works with high school students in low-income neighbourhoods. Essentially it was case management to help the students transition into the workplace or post-secondary education. 

UofT is the only MSW that I applied to, but I did also apply to a masters of public health program. 

My friend got a rejection from U of T in the mail today for the 2 year program. Not sure if it's relevant but her last name starts with an A and I saw people mentioning acceptances/ rejections occurring in alphabetical order. Anyone know if that's true? Cause my last name starts with an S so I might be waiting for a while lol. 

Edited by mswapplicant18

28 minutes ago, mswapplicant18 said:

My friend got a rejection from U of T in the mail today for the 2 year program. Not sure if it's relevant but her last name starts with an A and I saw people mentioning acceptances/ rejections occurring in alphabetical order. Anyone know if that's true? Cause my last name starts with an S so I might be waiting for a while lol. 

For the 2 year program? That's quite unexpected because the 2 year program normally doesn't get results until March, after the 1 year program results. 

Has anyone seen their status change on SGS? 

51 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

For the 2 year program? That's quite unexpected because the 2 year program normally doesn't get results until March, after the 1 year program results. 

Nope, mine hasn't changed from "under review" since last month. That is surprising! They didn't send out rejection letters until late March for the 2 year program when I applied in 2015. This is really early, but like someone had mentioned, could be alphabetical for all we know. 

3 hours ago, SwagMaster said:

Yeah for the 2 year program! It was a rejection letter and their recommendation for her was that she take four courses to improve her grades apparently. Mine also says under review still.

14 hours ago, UofTMSWApplicant said:

Up until today I have been able to log in to the UofT SGS Admissions Application site using my application number and the password I created but today when I log in it says Login Unsuccessful.. not sure what this means!

That's weird. I just checked mine and I am still able to log in. My status remains "Under Review" :huh:. Even if you were rejected or accepted, the status on SGS would change to "Decision Made" and you should still be able to log in. 

It could be an issue with your password or username, or an issue on their end. I would double check you're inputting the login credentials correctly and if you are, then it could be something they would need to look into. 

Hello everyone! It's the first time for me to post here.

I applied for U of T (2 years) and am still waiting, too! My status says "Under Review" as well.

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for the 2 years program at U of T? Looking at the past postings, it looks somewhere around 15%? I tried to find official information online, but I couldn't find it. I'm getting so nervous after waiting for 2 months!  

Does anyone also know when in March we'll receive the results? Early March, mid March, or late March? I don't want to wait till late March... :( 

Edited by MSW2018applicant

2 hours ago, MSW2018applicant said:

Hello everyone! It's the first time for me to post here.

I applied for U of T (2 years) and am still waiting, too! My status says "Under Review" as well.

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for the 2 years program at U of T? Looking at the past postings, it looks somewhere around 15%? I tried to find official information online, but I couldn't find it. I'm getting so nervous after waiting for 2 months!  

Does anyone also know when in March we'll receive the results? Early March, mid March, or late March? I don't want to wait till late March... :( 

From what I remember being told at their info session, they accept about 140/800+ applicants or something along those lines. 

They're anticipating some time in March. When I last applied in 2015, I didn't hear back until the very end of March. All results were out by early April. It's a long wait unfortunately!

57 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

From what I remember being told at their info session, they accept about 140/800+ applicants or something along those lines. 

They're anticipating some time in March. When I last applied in 2015, I didn't hear back until the very end of March. All results were out by early April. It's a long wait unfortunately!

Thank you very much for answering my questions! It's going to be a long wait... :o Good luck to all of us!!