Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

46 minutes ago, hamlam said:

Hey everyone. Applied for U of T advanced standing. Still under review on SGS. If it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have known I could also get an ACORN/ROSI account hahaha. Thought it was just for housing or u of t alumni.

I see some people have already been invited on the ROSI dashboard. My last name is closer to the end of the alphabet (S). Hoping to hear soon. Anyone else with last names toward the end of the alphabet heard back from U of T advanced standing?

My last name starts with K and I have heard nothing either way yet!

1 hour ago, ihatewaiting_ said:

I know for advanced standing it mentions TAship possibilities right in the admission letter so if it doesn't mention it in yours then it may not be an option. 

It seems like in my letter it was a generalized blurb about this being a possibility. I have just seen from someone else's reply on here that they are only given to three students with the top GPA's (which makes sense, because in all honesty mine is average)

2 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Awesome, congratulations! That's incredible... you got the maximum funding too. Only three students with the top GPA's get the TAships, so it's definitely tough. 

Thanks for letting me know that - I had no idea! Thank you for the kind words

1 hour ago, magfish said:

Well, it’s official. Just got the waitlist email from Carleton. 

My status hadnt changed yet but I’m assuming it will (as the email says) in the next few minutes. 

Congrats to everyone who gets in!! And I guess letms all cross our fingers that it moves at least a bit. 

Fingers crossed you make your way down the wait list!

27 minutes ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

Has anyone got accepted to MSW 2 year program at Western, UofT or Laurier yet? When will those be out?

I only applied to Laurier’s 2 yr MSW and from what I have read on previous year’s threads is that we likely won’t hear anything until the first week of April. I think I recall reading that rejection letters go out first. I think Laurier is one of the last schools to send out acceptances/rejections/waitlists. Let me know if you hear differently. 

Edited by SW Sevante

6 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

I only applied to Laurier’s 2 yr MSW and from what I have read on previous year’s threads is that we likely won’t hear anything until the first week of April. I think I recall reading that rejection letters go out first. I think Laurier is one of the last schools to send out acceptances/rejections/waitlists. Let me know if you hear differently. 

Ahhh that is so far away!!!

If anyone has applied to UBC Van (I know I sound like a broken record), I just called them clarifying the stats course requirement. It says on the UBC calendar that you need a stats course but it doesn't say anything about it on the program calendar. They confirmed that you DO NOT need a stats course for admission. 

I don't know if anyone else was confused about this but I thought I'd throw out a lil PSA

1 hour ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

Has anyone got accepted to MSW 2 year program at Western, UofT or Laurier yet? When will those be out?

Western should be out by the beginning of March. I know some peers of mine who applied to the 1-year program and received an email today indicating that they have been waitlisted. 

1 hour ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

I still haven't heard back anything! I applied to uoft for their 2-year msw 

Hi All, 

My ACORN update today and says "SW MSW 1 2018-2019, Fall/Winter, Invited'. I hope this means that I have been admitted into the program. 

My last name starts with R if anyone was curious. My SGS still says 'Under Review' though so I will keep everyone posted! 

Hey everyone! congrats to all those who have received their acceptances!! :)  I am currently completing my BSW and only have 2 years of placement + summer internships and volunteer experience. was wondering if those who got "invited" to UofT's MSW program have 2+ years of social work related experience?

Also, I applied to the social justice stream at UofT and have not been invited--> wondering if those who got invited all chose the same stream? 

4 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Same! It sucks a bit. I know you're an advanced standing applicant but any chance you know how many people get put on the wait list for either stream?

I’m not sure. I feel like I’ve HEARD 40 floated, which would be double the program size? Some schools do half (U of T) but I’m not sure for Carleton. :/

3 hours ago, littlebluebird said:

Fingers crossed you make your way down the wait list!

Thanks! I’ll keep yall updated. :)

43 minutes ago, chinnz006 said:

Hey everyone! congrats to all those who have received their acceptances!! :)  I am currently completing my BSW and only have 2 years of placement + summer internships and volunteer experience. was wondering if those who got "invited" to UofT's MSW program have 2+ years of social work related experience?

Also, I applied to the social justice stream at UofT and have not been invited--> wondering if those who got invited all chose the same stream? 

Hey, that's a good question, and it seems like a lot of BSW students wonder how much experience you need to get into an MSW program. I found out that my acorn said "invited" earlier this morning to the advanced standing health and mental health stream. I have about 1.5 years of volunteering on the side during my undergrad, < 1 year of BSW placement, 6 months of working full-time (as of this month), and a research project that I've been doing on the side for a few months. I wanted to share my experience of getting from a BSW to MSW. 

During my BSW, I applied to a few MSW programs but didn't get in anywhere. But this is what I noticed -- Of the people in my BSW program, the only people who got into an MSW right away were those who had more than one year of full-time experience in the field prior to their BSW. It became very evident that the schools wanted more experience, and it was difficult to get into an MSW without any full time experience. 

So although I didn't get in anywhere at that time, I still learned what I could do significantly improve my chances of admission -- gain more experience! After graduating, I put all my effort into getting full-time employment and finding related side-projects/volunteer opportunities. 

This was my experience, and you as a BSW student may very well get into an MSW program this year! I just wanted to share my experience. Know that if you don't get in this year, not all is lost, and don't give up! 

32 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

Hey, that's a good question, and it seems like a lot of BSW students wonder how much experience you need to get into an MSW program. I found out that my acorn said "invited" earlier this morning to the advanced standing health and mental health stream. I have about 1.5 years of volunteering on the side during my undergrad, < 1 year of BSW placement, 6 months of working full-time (as of this month), and a research project that I've been doing on the side for a few months. I wanted to share my experience of getting from a BSW to MSW. 

During my BSW, I applied to a few MSW programs but didn't get in anywhere. But this is what I noticed -- Of the people in my BSW program, the only people who got into an MSW right away were those who had more than one year of full-time experience in the field prior to their BSW. It became very evident that the schools wanted more experience, and it was difficult to get into an MSW without any full time experience. 

So although I didn't get in anywhere at that time, I still learned what I could do significantly improve my chances of admission -- gain more experience! After graduating, I put all my effort into getting full-time employment and finding related side-projects/volunteer opportunities. 

This was my experience, and you as a BSW student may very well get into an MSW program this year! I just wanted to share my experience. Know that if you don't get in this year, not all is lost, and don't give up! 

thank you so much for sharing all that! 

I have been noticing a trend of people with more experience  getting into the program. I still have my fingers crossed, but I'll definitely take this as a learning experience. Also, congrats on your acceptance! :) 

16 hours ago, MSWpost said:

Hi All, 

My ACORN update today and says "SW MSW 1 2018-2019, Fall/Winter, Invited'. I hope this means that I have been admitted into the program. 

My last name starts with R if anyone was curious. My SGS still says 'Under Review' though so I will keep everyone posted! 

Congratulations! That absolutely sounds like you got in! 

I never created an ACORN/ ROSI account, when were we informed we were supposed to? I've only been checking SGS so I'm wondering if that would help

14 minutes ago, mswapplicant18 said:

Congratulations! That absolutely sounds like you got in! 

I never created an ACORN/ ROSI account, when were we informed we were supposed to? I've only been checking SGS so I'm wondering if that would help

Check out your e-mail concerning your U of T Join id for the info you need to log into Acorn, then head on over to http://www.acorn.utoronto.ca/ . We weren't informed that we were supposed to, we're just keeners who are anxious for news and are wandering around for answers. I only found out about Acorn and Rosi, whatever from these forums.

Hope that helps!

Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical, because it seems like everyone has been accepted, including myself.  I wonder if "invited" just means that we had applied to U of T. 

:(

Edited by BruiseV08
Perfectionism

6 minutes ago, BruiseV08 said:

Check out your e-mail concerning your U of T Join id for the info you need to log into Acorn, then head on over to http://www.acorn.utoronto.ca/ . We weren't informed that we were supposed to, we're just keeners who are anxious for news and are wandering around for answers. I only found out about Acorn and Rosi, whatever from these forums.

Hope that helps!

Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical, because it seems like everyone has been accepted, including myself.  I wonder if "invited" just means that we had applied to U of T. 

:(

Oh ok! I did do the set up for the Join id I just thought that had residence info and stuff! I've logged into acorn, but where would someone see invited or not?

Edited by mswapplicant18

12 minutes ago, mswapplicant18 said:

Oh ok! I did do the set up for the Join id I just thought that had residence info and stuff! I've logged into acorn, but where would someone see invited or not?

Click on Dashboard (left side column). Then ta da! It's under the heading "Academics"

Edited by BruiseV08

16 hours ago, chinnz006 said:

Hey chinnz006,

I got “invited” to the health and mental health stream for u of t as well. From everything I’ve heard (mostly from a friend currently at u of t for the msw) and other places online I think the amount of experience that people have varies a looot. My friend mentioned that many people from the program came directly from undergrad and don’t have a huge amount of experience in the field.

I have probably 2.5 years of volunteer work (but all part time), a research project (3 months), two student placements, I did a full time contract position last summer and have held a relief position at a women’s shelter for 8 months now. So in terms of full time work experience in the field, I definitely don’t have 2+ years of experience. I have a feeling what strengthened my application was strong marks and my written statements (I had a lot of personal experience to talk about). I’m also coming directly out of my BSW, but I previously did another undergrad degree. 

I hope that’s helpful!! This isn’t my first time applying to the MSW and ive literally driven myself crazy before questioning every part of my application, so I know how stressful it can be!!!! I also found that I feel waaay more ready now to do an msw now than I did before when I applied. I was soo bummed out the first time, but in retrospect, I really feel like things worked out the way they were meant to. Good luck!!! 

34 minutes ago, mswapplicant18 said:

There are some screen shots a few pages back in this forum.