Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

57 minutes ago, Jessabee7 said:

Where on acorn does it say this? Are you a current student of U of T? Congrats!!!

It says on acorn at the dashboard page, under the academics section in orange font. No I'm not a current UofT student. There are some screenshots a few pages back on this forum. 

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Jake4 said:

To any of the Carleton 2-years still waiting on some information...I got this e-mail from Stephanie today...

Email sent to all applicants who have been sent an offer of admission. Congratulations on your offer of admission to the MSW. I am getting a few emails from some of you, and I have not had time to reply. We are still sending a few more offers, and once that is completed, I will send a more comprehensive email to you all in the hopes of addressing many of your questions. We do not know the schedule of our classes for the fall and winter yet, but it will be available to you on May 22.  If you click on the Public Class Schedule from this page - https://central.carleton.ca/ you can view when our courses are offered this year.

Tuition Fees for 2018-19 are not available yet, but if you view last year’s Tuition Fees, you will get an idea - https://carleton.ca/studentaccounts/tuition-fees/

You might also find the Tuition Fee Estimator helpful - https://central.carleton.ca/prod/pkg_online_fee_assess.p_main

Our MSW Handbook (2017-18) is available on this page - https://carleton.ca/socialwork/current-students/ and we will be updating it over the next few weeks.

I'm hearing a few conflicting things from their admissions department. When I spoke to Stephanie on the phone last week she said all decisions including waitlists, rejections and offers had already been sent out. I'm confused <_<

3 minutes ago, hamlam said:

Did they ever tell you what place you were on waitlist? For those of us who might get waitlisted- is it worth calling admissions to try and find out, or are they not able to let us know?

Unless their policy changed from last year, you won't be able to inquire any information about the waitlist. 

When you receive the waitlist letter, they ask you to submit a form to indicate whether you want to stay on the waitlist. If you do, you're welcome to submit updated documents/transcripts/practicum evaluations/etc. 

But they never reveal how many are on the waitlist, or what the ranking is. It's a frustrating experience for sure. At the time, I personally knew about 10 people on the waitlist, and none of us got in. This is not to say that no one gets off the waitlist because people on grad cafe have said that they've received offers from the waitlist though. 

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, MSWpost said:

Did your acorn say invited prior to you receiving your letter? Also did you apply for 1 year advanced standing? CONGRATS, btw!! 

Thank you :) Yes it did! And I applied for Advanced Standing for health and Mental health.

Please note for ppl who have not received their packages  yet - my last name is to the beginning of the alphabet and I live downtown, so I'm probably among the very first.

Edited by BruiseV08
More info

Who else in the 2-year U of T applicant pool is a) experiencing a tremendous amount of vicarious excitement watching all of our Advanced Standing peers receive invitations (congratulations, all!!), and b) secretly hoping/willing that this year's results announcements follow the 2015 and 2016 timelines, when us folk started hearing back in early March?

10 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Who else in the 2-year U of T applicant pool is a) experiencing a tremendous amount of vicarious excitement watching all of our Advanced Standing peers receive invitations (congratulations, all!!), and b) secretly hoping/willing that this year's results announcements follow the 2015 and 2016 timelines, when us folk started hearing back in early March?

Totally the same! I'm waiting on York, Windsor and U of T for their 2 year programs.. Angela just told me no news until mid-April. Could be something she's saying so that we don't expect anything sooner than that. 

8 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Totally the same! I'm waiting on York, Windsor and U of T for their 2 year programs.. Angela just told me no news until mid-April. Could be something she's saying so that we don't expect anything sooner than that. 

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I am waiting for the 2 year program at Western, Laurier, and UofT. and omg.. MID APRIL?!?!?!?? This is most definitely unnecessary stress they put on applicants.

1 hour ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I am waiting for the 2 year program at Western, Laurier, and UofT. and omg.. MID APRIL?!?!?!?? This is most definitely unnecessary stress they put on applicants.

Sooo stressful. I’m hoping Westerns decisions come out next week! 

ARGH. I'm clinging to the idea that it is something Angela might have said just so that we don't expect anything until then. Support for my (delusional?) hope:

• They seem to be dead on track with last year's timeline, in which 1-year acceptances began February 21 and then 2-years began a month later, but she had told an applicant (see first quote, below) that people would know by the end of April.
  • In 2016, she gave a similar response to a forum member 2.5 weeks after a couple of 2-year applicants had already been accepted.
  • The year before, there was quite a bit of conflicting information from her in that she said in early March that the admissions committee hadn't even begun going through (the 800+) applications and then a few people were accepted that very week.

(Highly relevant aside: I clearly need to get a life.)

Did she specifically say that we would have NO NEWS at all until April or that decisions would be sent out BY mid-April? 

On 2017-03-10 at 10:04 AM, kb161616 said:

I called Angela (at U of T) a few days ago to ask about the status of the 2-year applications, and she said that it would still be a while longer. Specifically, she said that people will know by the end of April (unsure whether she meant that is when all waves will be finished, or just starting)....

Regardless, not sure if we should get our hopes up too high for next week

1 hour ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

1 hour ago, smntoronto said:

7 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

I think this applies to everyone reading this forum haha!

Haha. Indeed (you said it, though – I didn't ;)). But seriously, though, the system even thinks so: I was just prevented from liking your post because I've "reacted" too many times today (way harsh, Tai).

19 hours ago, hamlam said:

Hate to be that downer but I’ve only seen that one person has received a rejection letter so far from U of T advanced standing? Anyone else? I haven’t heard anything for myself. 

applied for MSW advanced standing , child and families stream. Applying for the first time from out of province currently but graduated from Carleton U.  Anyone know if applying from out of province affects the rate at which you receive a decision? 

I don't know about course based programs, like MSW, but with regard to research based programs,  my professor told me that it's better if students do their graduate studies in universities where they didn't do their undergraduate degrees, not just because students who are applying from other universities have some advantages, but also because it's better for their careers. I've also heard that some professors only want students who are coming from other universities. However, other professor also told me that this tradition is less strong compared to in the past. Yet other professor also told me that there are some rules about the maximum number of students they can take from their own universities to make sure some students are from other universities although this rule isn't rigid.

At the same time, if you establish a good relationship with your professor during your undergraduate years, you have a big advantage when you apply for the professor since professors' willingness to take you is the most important thing when you apply for a research oriented program.

According to the graduate study guide I read, The ranking of your university also plays a role. 

But for corse based programs, like MSW, where you're coming from shouldn't have strong effects? Universities may still want diversity though.

Edited by MSW2018applicant

2 hours ago, smntoronto said:

MID-APRIL?! I can't continue dealing with this anxiety for another 2 months :o

I'm wondering may be there will be early admissions in March and then regular admissions in April. That was how it worked when I applied for my undergraduate. I think universities want to offer some early admissions to prevent from highly qualified applicants being taken by other universities.

5 hours ago, ELip said:

I applied solely to these two programs as well, and I am also waiting to hear! I've seen one person with an acceptance to Waterloo before Quest did their scheduled maintenance (that almost week felt like forever) and I assumed they would load offers/waitlist/rejections during that time, but still 'no decision made'. Judging from previous years, I believe Laurier only sends out their acceptances towards the end of March/early April but maybe we'll get lucky and they'll send them out early this year! Fingers crossed the information received from both schools is worth the wait! 

I applied to Laurier and have not heard anything. I do know of a friend who applied to waterloo and received her acceptance last week (Friday)

Angela said that decisions for the 2 year program at U of T will be mailed out mid April, so I’m not sure now after reading your comments whether that implies we won’t be receiving ANY news until then. If that’s actually the case, they’ll be the last university (it seems) to send out offers meaning many applicants will likely have accepted offers elsewhere. 

Hi everyone

I just got home and there was a package waiting for me from UofT! 

I have officially be accepted into advanced standing for the gerontology stream. Anyone else in this stream?? 

Sending out positive vibes to those who have not heard yet!! :) 

Edited by MSWpost

12 minutes ago, MSWpost said:

Hi everyone

I just got home and there was a package waiting for me from UofT! 

I have officially be accepted into advanced standing for the gerontology stream. Anyone else in this stream?? 

Sending out positive vibes to those who have not heard yet!! :) 

Wow congrats!! That's a nice surprise to get when you just get home. Sorry if you answered this already: did your status on acorn or SGS change? and are you applying from out of province?

Also wondering if you can give some stats on what type of experience/grades you applied with :)

4 hours ago, cat_not_kitty said:

I am with you! I hope we can hear back in early March :)

Forgot to let everyone know - a friend got her offer for Waterloo's MSW yesterday via email. Also mentioned that Waterloo ONLY does electronic offers, so keep an eye on your inboxes everyone!

Good luck!! :) 

15 hours ago, GradMSW said:

I think it would be fair to assume that they indicate the deadline to accept or  reject the offer in the letter then. Best of luck everyone!

Hey! So my acceptance letter arrived today from U of T. I have four weeks to accept or decline and if I accept, I need to pay a $500 deposit by June 1st. So the deadline to accept is four weeks, which is March 20th (my letter is dated Feb 20).

Nothing to do but wait and see, I suppose...but I remain hopeful that we'll hear sooner, given past years :). I have a feeling we'll start hearing in March...perhaps a few early admissions earlier on in the month, as you've suggested @MSW2018applicant, and then the first official round of offers around March 23rd.

4 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Angela said that decisions for the 2 year program at U of T will be mailed out mid April, so I’m not sure now after reading your comments whether that implies we won’t be receiving ANY news until then. If that’s actually the case, they’ll be the last university (it seems) to send out offers meaning many applicants will likely have accepted offers elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, MSW2018applicant said:

MID-APRIL?! I can't continue dealing with this anxiety for another 2 months :o

I'm wondering may be there will be early admissions in March and then regular admissions in April. That was how it worked when I applied for my undergraduate. I think universities want to offer some early admissions to prevent from highly qualified applicants being taken by other universities.

21 hours ago, hamlam said:

Did they ever tell you what place you were on waitlist? For those of us who might get waitlisted- is it worth calling admissions to try and find out our place on the list, or are they not able to let us know?

Hey!

I was waitlisted for the 2 year MSW at U of T for fall of 2015.... I seem to remember that there is not 'place' or 'standing' on the waitlist, but that they consider it holistically. For example, if you are waitlisted have a lot of experience in community development,  and someone with similar experience who was accepted turns down the offer, they may look to offer you their spot. And if someone with more clinical experience turns down their offer, they will look for someone else on the waitlist who has that type of experience/ application. (I think.... I'm trying to remember is someone from the school told me that at an info session, or if I read it on the board a few years ago)

20 hours ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Yup! Feeling the same.... I can't access ACRON for some reason so I'm checking my mail more frequently than normal, even though I know I'm weeks away from getting any mail hahaha