Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

1 hour ago, Jessabee7 said:

Hey all,

I received my letter from U of T putting me on the wait list. Does anyone know how likely my chances are of getting in? I have completed my undergrad (BSW) last fall. I have also applied to Laurier's 1 year advanced standing and I am very skeptical about getting in. Laurier is is very competitive. The waiting is driving my anxiety through the roof. Best of luck to all of you.

I feel like it can be hard to say with wait lists but I do know someone who got accepted off the wait list at U of T for the 2 years program last year and I think she heard around June. Hope that's helpful to you! I know waiting seriously sucks!

12 minutes ago, mswapplicant18 said:

Congrats to everyone receiving acceptances :)  Anyone hear anything from York?? I'm out of the country and it's killing me that I can't check my mail haha.   

My York myfile still says “no decision yet” though I also can’t check physical mail till I’m home tomorrow. I’ll keep you updated!

Hey all,

I received my letter from U of T putting me on the wait list. Does anyone know how likely my chances are of getting in? I have completed my undergrad (BSW) last fall. I have also applied to Laurier's 1 year advanced standing and I am very skeptical about getting in. Laurier is is very competitive. The waiting is driving my anxiety through the roof. Best of luck to all of you.

Hey Jessa,

I've read different responses throughout the forum. One person mentioned that they had heard that U of T's waitlist isn't based on rankings, but they will look at the applications/experience/focus of the people who had been accepted and turned down admission and try and compare it with people on the waitlist to try and accept a similar applicant. 

Others have said they have heard about getting off the waitlist 2 weeks before school was supposed to start (I'm assuming this is very rare though. I'm also highly doubtful U of T would do a last minute admission like this, even if someone had an emergency in which they could no longer accept a spot at u of t). 

I think the latest you should expect to hear is June. I would accept any other offers you may receive though, seeing as u of t doesn't reveal your ranking on the list at all and it is impossible to tell when they will call you.

What kind of stats did you apply with (grades + experience)? which stream did you apply for, and have your acorn or sgs status changed?

5 minutes ago, hamlam said:

It would be an administrative nightmare for U of T to accept someone 2 weeks before school was supposed to start, imo. So I doubt it's highly likely people get offers late into the summer.

Edited by hamlam

Hey all,

Hey! What stream did you apply for? 

20 minutes ago, magfish said:

My York myfile still says “no decision yet” though I also can’t check physical mail till I’m home tomorrow. I’ll keep you updated!

Thank you! Mine also says "no decision yet"

I did speak with the department much earlier this month and he said "You'll hear by the end of the month"... not even an indefinite "should". And it's the 26th <_< But I feel like it might be longer than that based on what I've seen people say in the forum. 

As it turns out I've also been wait listed at U of T, my roommate checked the mail for me. Children and Families stream, one-year advanced. My stats: BSW from McMaster, not great grades (B+ I believe in my final year). 2.5-3 years experience scattered through different organizations. 

I don't plan on hanging my hat on this but if anyone has thoughts about my chances of getting in, I welcome it :)

39 minutes ago, mswapplicant18 said:

As it turns out I've also been wait listed at U of T, my roommate checked the mail for me. Children and Families stream, one-year advanced. My stats: BSW from McMaster, not great grades (B+ I believe in my final year). 2.5-3 years experience scattered through different organizations. 

I don't plan on hanging my hat on this but if anyone has thoughts about my chances of getting in, I welcome it :)

Hope you get off waitlist! Did your online status on acorn or sgs change?

3 minutes ago, MSW_Hopeful144 said:

Hi everyone, 

Haven't heard very much about Ryerson on this forum, just wondering if anyone has any idea when those results are coming out?

Also for those who heard back from Laurier advanced standing, was it via email or did their online status change?

Wishing the best to everyone!

Haven't heard much about Ryerson either but according to their website applicants should hear back mid-March!

1 hour ago, MSW_Hopeful144 said:

Also for those who heard back from Laurier advanced standing, was it via email or did their online status change?

I've actually heard of 2 people who got in now. I asked and one of them said found out via email, and the other said it was the online status.

@Aspiringmsw2320 @MSWapplicant2018 I applied to the 2-year programs at Western and Laurier last year.  I was waitlisted on March 8th at King's, accepted off the waitlist on March 9th, so hopefully they have similar timelines this year.  I want to say that my Laurier acceptance came later, like late March/early April.  Hang in there, I know the waiting is the absolute worst! Good luck!!

Edited by hornets14

1 hour ago, hornets14 said:

@Aspiringmsw2320 @MSWapplicant2018 I applied to the 2-year programs at Western and Laurier last year.  I was waitlisted on March 8th at King's, accepted off the waitlist on March 9th, so hopefully they have similar timelines this year.  I want to say that my Laurier acceptance came later, like late March/early April.  Hang in there, I know the waiting is the absolute worst! Good luck!!

Samantha from King’s told me that decisions should be made by early March. Since this week technically starts March (on Thursday) I have been compulsively checking my email and student centre. Gah.  I am really banking on King’s, especially since that is where I did my undergrad. Did you end up going to King’s?

48 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Samantha from King’s told me that decisions should be made by early March. Since this week technically starts March (on Thursday) I have been compulsively checking my email and student centre. Gah.  I am really banking on King’s, especially since that is where I did my undergrad. Did you end up going to King’s?

I remember all too well the impulse to check every 30 seconds!  I did end up going to King's! It's been a pretty good experience so far.  Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about the program!

After not hearing from UofT at all last week I assumed I was rejected (first time applicant) until today when I received a letter saying I've been waitlisted! I'm thrilled - which may be a weird reaction for some. I applied for the health and mental health stream, advanced standing, finishing my BSW in June with a 3.8/4.33 in my last 10 courses with an A in research. 800 hours as a public servant/policy assistant with the provincial government, 800 hours across two placements, 180 hours interning with the US gov, 150 hours Indigenous based research. The rest of my hours (300+) are majority leadership roles across multiple volunteer, youth, radical/grassroots organizations.

Best of luck to all of those in the same boat. Not sure how many people are taken from the waitlist but I have my fingers crossed for all of us!

Edited by ctbsw

9 minutes ago, hornets14 said:

I remember all too well the impulse to check every 30 seconds!  I did end up going to King's! It's been a pretty good experience so far.  Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about the program!

Thank-you! Is there many previous King’s students in the 2-year program? 

9 hours ago, hamlam said:

Hey Jessa,

I've read different responses throughout the forum. One person mentioned that they had heard that U of T's waitlist isn't based on rankings, but they will look at the applications/experience/focus of the people who had been accepted and turned down admission and try and compare it with people on the waitlist to try and accept a similar applicant. 

Others have said they have heard about getting off the waitlist 2 weeks before school was supposed to start (I'm assuming this is very rare though. I'm also highly doubtful U of T would do a last minute admission like this, even if someone had an emergency in which they could no longer accept a spot at u of t). 

I think the latest you should expect to hear is June. I would accept any other offers you may receive though, seeing as u of t doesn't reveal your ranking on the list at all and it is impossible to tell when they will call you.

What kind of stats did you apply with (grades + experience)? which stream did you apply for, and have your acorn or sgs status changed?

Hi, I applied to the children and families stream from U of T and both mainstream social work and The Indigenous stream from Laurier. Acorn and sgs has not changed. My grades were B plus 3.3gpa. I have 7 years experience in various sectors, 2200 hours of placement, diploma in business, social service work and my degree in social work. I have many certifications and training certificates. 

On 2/23/2018 at 3:59 PM, cat_not_kitty said:

ARGH. I'm clinging to the idea that it is something Angela might have said just so that we don't expect anything until then. Support for my (delusional?) hope:

• They seem to be dead on track with last year's timeline, in which 1-year acceptances began February 21 and then 2-years began a month later, but she had told an applicant (see first quote, below) that people would know by the end of April.
  • In 2016, she gave a similar response to a forum member 2.5 weeks after a couple of 2-year applicants had already been accepted.
  • The year before, there was quite a bit of conflicting information from her in that she said in early March that the admissions committee hadn't even begun going through (the 800+) applications and then a few people were accepted that very week.

(Highly relevant aside: I clearly need to get a life.)

Did she specifically say that we would have NO NEWS at all until April or that decisions would be sent out BY mid-April? 

Have you ever considered the position as an Investigator as a line of work? Hahaha. All jokes aside, you are awesome and I hope you hear soon.

Haha :D. Well, if I ever actually get into grad school, I'll hopefully become a Principal Investigator.

(That right there, folks, was a 4:00am research grant joke. Yup.)

1 hour ago, littlebluebird said:

Have you ever considered the position as an Investigator as a line of work? Hahaha. All jokes aside, you are awesome and I hope you hear soon.