Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

6 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

I do believe that the standards of admission are somewhat lower than other MSW programs so if you far exceed their minimum requirements, then you have a good shot. My friend just finished her MSW there and said practicum opps were terrible (I'm from Windsor and can speak to the lack of employment opportunities there in general) and the program was incredibly easy compared to undergrad. But still, you come out with an MSW. The good thing is that you can do your practicum elsewhere. 

I’ve also heard that about practicum options! But you’re so right in that it would be an MSW after all is said and done. Plus I’m from London, so the commute wouldn’t be too bad! 

Big congratulations to those who were waitlisted at Western today! I know it's not the outright acceptance we're all hoping for, but it's a tremendous accomplishment and the waitlist DOES move, as @hornets14 can attest! Two other forum members were accepted off the waitlist last year as well, one on March 13th, one on April 20th (and keep in mind that King's is a small program and we're an even smaller subset of applicants, so those are heartening numbers).

And big hugs across the ether to those who received rejections. It's not about the value of your qualifications and contributions, it's about the insane (and ever-growing) competitiveness of Canadian MSW programs and (that other f-word) fit. Case in point: another forum member last year was rejected from Western but later accepted to Windsor off the waitlist. Don't lose hope for your other applications just because of this one result.

Edited by cat_not_kitty

7 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Big congratulations to those who were waitlisted at Western today! I know it's not the outright acceptance we're all hoping for, but it's a tremendous accomplishment and the waitlist DOES move, as @hornets14 can attest! Two other forum members were accepted off the waitlist last year as well, one on March 13th, one on April 20th (and keep in mind that King's is a small program and we're an even smaller subset of applicants, so those are heartening numbers).

And big hugs across the ether to those who received rejections. It's not about the value of your qualifications and contributions, it's about the insane (and ever-growing) competitiveness of Canadian MSW programs and (that other f-word) fit. Case in point: another forum member last year was rejected from Western but later accepted to Windsor off the waitlist. Don't lose hope for your other applications just because of this one result.

Thank you so much for your kindness- you are an awesome person!

Awww – thank you <3. You've still got Laurier and U of T to go and I've got fingers and toes crossed for you...we might even end up classmates :)!!

13 minutes ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

Thank you so much for your kindness- you are an awesome person!

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Booooo typos...this waiting is messing with my (usually glorious!) editing skills.

33 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Awww – thank you <3. You've still got Laurier and U of T to go and I've got fingers and toes crossed for you...we might even end up classmates :)!!

I hope so!! I have a feeling if I did not get into Western, I will most likely not get into UofT or Laurier!! :( I think I don't have enough experience!

Don't lose heart because of this one result, @MSWapplicant2018! Your international community development and social justice-focused research experience will set your application apart. Laurier's program is tiny and super-focused on experience in terms of quality AND quantity, so it's incredibly difficult to get into, and it really depends on the applicant pool year-to-year. But U of T looks at applications holistically, emphasising grades and research potential – I really think you have a great chance there, with your specific experience profile, your 3.7 GPA, and your 'A' in research methods.

Edited by cat_not_kitty

31 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Don't lose heart because of this one result, @MSWapplicant2018! Your international community development and social justice-focused research experience will set your application apart. Laurier's program is tiny and super-focused on experience in terms of quality AND quantity, so it's incredibly difficult to get into, and it really depends on the applicant pool year-to-year. But U of T looks at applications holistically, emphasising grades and research potential – I really think you have a great chance there, with your specific experience profile, your 3.7 GPA, and your 'A' in research methods.

Thank you so much again! Hopefully the two year admissions for UofT and Laurier come soon!

I received an advanced standing offer from Laurier this morning! It came to my email. On LORIS after clicking on "Masters of Social Work" that was updated as well, and is where I formally accept the offer. I can't believe my wait is finally over.. hopefully more people find out soon! :) 

Some background context: I completed my BSW at Renison, (was originally waitlisted there and Lakehead, got an offer from Lakehead but declined it to accept a part time place at Renison.) I have 5000+ hours between developmental services/seniors supports and addictions/mental health, 92 average in my BSW. If there is anything this whole journey taught me it is definitely that the timing doesn't always make sense in the moment, but things happen when they are supposed to. I had two rejections in previous years for other programs, two BSW waitlists, and rejections for the two year programs at U of T, and Laurier... so I've definitely experienced my share of rejection and disappointment. But everything happens for a reason, and I'm so glad that those rejections lead me to increasing my work experience and skill, and I know myself so much better than previous years.

So, if this isn't the year it happens for any of you don't lose faith! Social work isn't an easy path, but it will certainly work out the way it is meant to!

I was waitlisted from McMaster today and I can't access my mail until next week for U of T's letter but my ACORN is blank...

Feeling like shit lol. I thought I was a shoe in for Mac because I did my BSW there, have an A- average in my final year of studies, was quite active in the school of social work. My dream school was U of T though. I took a year off to work and can barely find a job. I am working part time at a place I am truly unhappy. My only solace was that I'd be able to quit in September upon receiving an MSW admission. I'm under a lot of familial pressure to complete my masters as well. Sorry to bring this thread down but I'm hella depressed. 

6 hours ago, mayjohn said:

I was waitlisted from McMaster today and I can't access my mail until next week for U of T's letter but my ACORN is blank...

Feeling like shit lol. I thought I was a shoe in for Mac because I did my BSW there, have an A- average in my final year of studies, was quite active in the school of social work. My dream school was U of T though. I took a year off to work and can barely find a job. I am working part time at a place I am truly unhappy. My only solace was that I'd be able to quit in September upon receiving an MSW admission. I'm under a lot of familial pressure to complete my masters as well. Sorry to bring this thread down but I'm hella depressed. 

Based on what other people are saying I don’t think u of t has finished sending out offers. I read on last years forum that they do two waves. Yours could still be coming ?

Hello :)

I found out last week via email that I was wait listed at Kings 1 year MSW- I was hooping to relocate there so Im hoping the status will change. Has anyone been accepted to Kings 1 year MSW and declined  their offer?

I also applied to Uft for the 1 year MSW Health and Mental Health- I received a conditional acceptance/ offer last week via mail  (condition being I complete my research methods course with mid range B as required by the program, as my B- from my BSW did not meet the requirements...In Dec 2017 I applied to do a research course online through Athabasca, but due to work and personal life some things came up and I have not been able to follow through with the completion of the research course) so looks like I wont be meeting the requirement for my conditional UFT offer.

1 hour ago, MMSW1 said:

I found out last week via email that I was wait listed at Kings 1 year MSW- I was hooping to relocate there so Im hoping the status will change. Has anyone been accepted to Kings 1 year MSW and declined  their offer?

I also applied to Uft for the 1 year MSW Health and Mental Health- I received a conditional acceptance/ offer last week via mail  (condition being I complete my research methods course with mid range B as required by the program, as my B- from my BSW did not meet the requirements...In Dec 2017 I applied to do a research course online through Athabasca, but due to work and personal life some things came up and I have not been able to follow through with the completion of the research course) so looks like I wont be meeting the requirement for my conditional UFT offer.

Are you taking the course right now?  I think you can request an extension.  I need to take this course if accepted into the 2 year MSW stream but was told at Laurier's info night that I didn't have to take it until I knew if I was actually in.  I am planning on starting this course on line with Athabasca in April if I am accepted.  According to the course description and information on the FAQ page it takes an average 3-4 months to complete but they allow people 6 months and also allow for extensions when circumstances permit.  Don't lose hope, I think you can do it!  :)

Is the course load at Athabasca that challenging? I was under the impression that courses offered there are quite reasonable as they often cater to working professionals who are completing courses on the side while working full time. 

Maybe I should be proactive and start now?  What's the course load like? Is it manageable with working full time? I just don't want to spend $900 on a course if I am not accepted.

Edited by SW Sevante
grammar

Hello all, long time lurker here... I have been anxiously waiting for a response from York U. Since a few folks in this thread have suggested that the end of February was the ETA for advanced standing (1 year) MSW decisions, and today is the last day of February, I decided to check in with the department. The dept stated that folks should start receiving responses the week of March 5th (beginning next week) for advanced standing 1 year MSW. The week after that, (beginning March 12th) is when the 2 year folks should get some news. So basically, we just need to hold on for a little while longer! Hope this is helpful. 

3 minutes ago, YorkieLion said:

Hello all, long time lurker here... I have been anxiously waiting for a response from York U. Since a few folks in this thread have suggested that the end of February was the ETA for advanced standing (1 year) MSW decisions, and today is the last day of February, I decided to check in with the department. The dept stated that folks should start receiving responses the week of March 5th (beginning next week) for advanced standing 1 year MSW. The week after that, (beginning March 12th) is when the 2 year folks should get some news. So basically, we just need to hold on for a little while longer! Hope this is helpful. 

Thanks for this :) Now I can relax a little more. 

1 hour ago, YorkieLion said:

Bless your soul for checking!!! Thank you! 

Did they say if it would be mail or online??

Congratulations on both your acceptance and your waitlist, @MMSW1!

I've taken a course through Athabasca (a required History of Psych course that wasn't offered in my own university in the semester I needed to take it in order to graduate that year) – you can definitely get an extension. The request can be made through MyAU and is just a formality i.e., it's guaranteed to be granted as long as you follow their timelines, which require that you submit it at least one month prior to the original course completion date (and, of course, pay a fee); it will give you an extra two months to complete the course and you can request a total of three. Do you have the time to tackle the course now? If so, DO IT – better to take advantage of the U of T offer you've been guaranteed this year than to start the whole process over with a new (unknown and ever-growing) applicant pool next year.

3 hours ago, MMSW1 said:

2 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

Are you taking the course right now?  I think you can request an extension.  I need to take this course if accepted into the 2 year MSW stream but was told at Laurier's info night that I didn't have to take it until I knew if I was actually in.  I am planning on starting this course on line with Athabasca in April if I am accepted.  According to the course description and information on the FAQ page it takes an average 3-4 months to complete but they allow people 6 months and also allow for extensions when circumstances permit.  Don't lose hope, I think you can do it!  :)

Is the course load at Athabasca that challenging? I was under the impression that courses offered there are quite reasonable as they often cater to working professionals who are completing courses on the side while working full time. 

Maybe I should be proactive and start now?  What's the course load like? Is it manageable with working full time? I just don't want to spend $900 on a course if I am not accepted.

I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way, @mayjohn , but – as @smntoronto said – there's still good reason to hope for U of T.

Some thoughts (that may or may not be helpful or relevant – so please ignore them, if they don't resonate and/or bring the comfort I'm intending)...

Over the years, I have seen absolutely incredible applicants not gain acceptance to MSW programs...it's been truly sobering and humbling to witness. As I said a few pages back, it's not a measure of the quality of your contributions and qualifications, but of the (ever-growing) competitiveness of Canadian MSW programs in particular: there are simply too many qualified applicants for not enough spots. I've also seen a number of forum members generously share their stories of remarkable perseverance and wise hindsight (like @kv32, above) – folks who have come to understand the immense value of the extra time they had to live life, spend time with loved ones, gain experience, and explore and refine their interests and foci. I know, intimately, how devastating rejection feels in the moment; the sadness and disappointment will eventually pass, and you will undoubtably benefit from the time and space you've had imposed upon you – the growth that comes out of struggle is a beautiful (if painful and frustrating) inevitability. Right now, though, it's important to just let yourself grieve, finding comfort in the other things that bring you joy.

With regards to your rejection from McMaster: my current university has an unwritten policy of NOT admitting former undergraduate students into their graduate programs – I know of only a very select few who have managed to circumvent this desire to bring in new blood, so to speak. Given your noted success/contributions at Mac, I'm wondering if your application suffered the consequences of this common practice.

Finally, as a child of parents with excruciatingly demanding expectations (and as a mother who did things very differently), I'll say this: do whatever you can to alleviate yourself from the burden of familial pressure (easier said than done, I know). You are a capable, independent adult with your own desires, goals, and path – while their pressure comes from a place of love and concern, you don't need to bear the brunt of their expectations along with the already immense weight of your own.

13 hours ago, mayjohn said:

6 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way, @mayjohn , but – as @smntoronto said – there's still good reason to hope for U of T.

Some thoughts (that may or may not be helpful or relevant – so please ignore them, if they don't resonate and/or bring the comfort I'm intending)...

Over the years, I have seen absolutely incredible applicants not gain acceptance to MSW programs...it's been truly sobering and humbling to witness. As I said a few pages back, it's not a measure of the quality of your contributions and qualifications, but of the (ever-growing) competitiveness of Canadian MSW programs in particular: there are simply too many qualified applicants for not enough spots. I've also seen a number of forum members generously share their stories of remarkable perseverance and wise hindsight (like @kv32, above) – folks who have come to understand the immense value of the extra time they had to live life, spend time with loved ones, gain experience, and explore and refine their interests and foci. I know, intimately, how devastating rejection feels in the moment; the sadness and disappointment will eventually pass, and you will undoubtably benefit from the time and space you've had imposed upon you – the growth that comes out of struggle is a beautiful (if painful and frustrating) inevitability. Right now, though, it's important to just let yourself grieve, finding comfort in the other things that bring you joy.

With regards to your rejection from McMaster: my current university has an unwritten policy of NOT admitting former undergraduate students into their graduate programs – I know of only a very select few who have managed to circumvent this desire to bring in new blood, so to speak. Given your noted success/contributions at Mac, I'm wondering if your application suffered the consequences of this common practice.

Finally, as a child of parents with excruciatingly demanding expectations (and as a mother who did things very differently), I'll say this: do whatever you can to alleviate yourself from the burden of familial pressure (easier said than done, I know). You are a capable, independent adult with your own desires, goals, and path – while their pressure comes from a place of love and concern, you don't need to bear the brunt of their expectations along with the already immense weight of your own.

This is so kind and well said! 

I can't help but think how unethical it would be for any university to bypass extremely qualified applicants simply because they'd done their undergraduate degrees there. If anything, I would think that a university with it's own best interests in mind would snatch them up because they want the best, most qualified students to represent their institution in the workforce and uphold their reputation. But I could totally be wrong - I just hope this isn't the case! 

Totally get your dismay! I was really surprised when I heard this a few years back at a workshop with key members of the graduate admissions committee at my undergraduate institution. Turns out, it's a common policy in North American academia (though it varies from field to field and there are always exceptions to the rule). Here's an old but comprehensive thread discussing it (U.S. posters, but generally applies to Canada as well): https://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/224/attending-graduate-school-at-my-undergraduate-university.  It's generally seen as a means of diversifying departmental culture and research output by encouraging cross-collaboration and integration of new paradigms and foci. It's more generally part of an approach meant to counter a phenomenon known as – I kid you not – "academic inbreeding" (though this term is usually reserved for hiring students who completed their doctoral studies at the institution as instructors/professors).

1 hour ago, smntoronto said:

This is so kind and well said! 

I can't help but think how unethical it would be for any university to bypass extremely qualified applicants simply because they'd done their undergraduate degrees there. If anything, I would think that a university with it's own best interests in mind would snatch them up because they want the best, most qualified students to represent their institution in the workforce and uphold their reputation. But I could totally be wrong - I just hope this isn't the case! 

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Clarifying that the admissions committee was at my undergrad school.

11 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

Hi Friends! @MMSW1 @SW Sevante

I applied to UofT for the 2-year MSW program. I'm taking the research methods course right now. I had originally signed up for it in October 2017 but wasn't able to start the course until Jan 2018 since I got busy with work and personal things swayed in. Athabasca gives an extension option (they give you an additonal 2-3 months to complete the course with a fee of $150 i believe). I started it in January and I'm literally on my last assignment right now. The tutor, peter kennett is phenomenal and super helpful :) I think I called him like 4 times to talk about the literature review assignment and he was super supportive. However, I will say that the research methods course is pretty heavy and I'm someone who has GAD so it really does take out of you mentally and emotionally- however, remember, its an intro class and the prof even knows to expect that the students aren't experts in social science. The course is going well so far (the GAD and my type A-ness combined is helping I guess? idk lol). Just make sure you prioritize! The quizzes are pretty easy- I didn't read the books, literally just used the online modules to get summaries but google helped a bit and control-f'ing key things. 

I'm no longer working anymore- so this course is literally all I'm concentrating on and have been since January. But that's because its really hard for me to juggle school and work! Definitely give it a try- I suggest you start with the quizzes and midterm first (the midterm can be saved and you can go back and complete it, same with the quizzes- no time limit which is amazing); and remember its all open book as well! 

you got this! i believe in you :) 

Edited by karisma

On 2/21/2018 at 5:33 PM, cat_not_kitty said:

Haha re the Grad Cafe whisperer comment…there are quite a few of us on here ;). This forum has been an invaluable resource to me as I’ve geared up to applying for grad school – it’s about time that I gave back.

And that’s excellent that Angela confirmed the relevance of your degree! Makes total sense to me (as someone who spent many years working in HR myself – I’m actually a CHRL, though I moved on from working directly in HR quite some time ago).

Of course I don’t mind you asking! I was going to write out a post with a bit about my background experience anyway, just to contribute fully to the dialogue.

This is my first time applying for graduate school. My personal/professional/academic history is long and circuitous (read: I’m old and have fought tooth and nail to make it this far), but I’m officially coming in with a BA in psychology from Ryerson, with a 4.33/4.33 GPA in my senior courses (I assume you’re at Ryerson too, given the 4.33 scale?). I realised quite early on in my degree that there was a fundamental incompatibility between the paradigm of mainstream psych and my own values and worldview, so I worked from the get-go to mould my undergrad experiences to meet my commitment to politically accountable research and practice, with the understanding that I would likely shift fields to social work. I was incredibly lucky to have the help of a deeply generous mentor in this capacity, who recognised my lived experience and opened a number of doors that would otherwise be firmly closed to me as an undergraduate student. So, while I have a lot of diverse experience, both paid and volunteer (as an HR Manager, Personal Support Worker, Program Coordinator for an agency that works with families affected by incarceration, Volunteer Mentor for the same agency, Volunteer Hospice Worker, etc.), I’m hoping that my research experience, in particular, will help set my application apart for U of T – which is the only school I’ve applied to (for very specific reasons that I won’t go into just now, due to time limitations :)). I’ve worked as the Research Coordinator of a critical, feminist lab that studies issues related to gender and sexuality for the past three years (and was with the lab as an RA for a year prior to that), which has allowed me direct experience leading administration, qualitative data collection, and analysis on several studies – and has resulted in a number of co-authored peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations. I think I’ll leave it there for now – but excited to learn more about all of you, and to share more about myself, as we take on the next few weeks of waiting together!

I pray we both get in! you sound so qualified lol- especially your gpa (kinda intimidated now haha)