Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

On 3/3/2018 at 2:20 PM, CaribbeanSW said:

Good Evening Everyone, 

I have been religiously checking and reading the posts on this forum and finally I decided to come out of the shadows. 

I have been accepted to the University of Toronto - Adavnced Standing MSW program in the stream Children and Their Families.  I am an international student, specifically from the island of Barbados in the Caribbean and I am 22 years of age.  

When I got my acceptance letter the mail as well as the email that followed, I was still very shocked that I was offered a spot. For those of you asking, my status on SGS has now been changed to “Decision Made” even though I have not yet accepted the offer.

Congratulations to all over you have gotten their letters and also to those who have been waitlisted. To those who haven’t heard back anything as yet and are still in the waiting game, don’t lose hope! It’s not over yet.

If anyone hasn’t any questions please feel free to ask. 

Weird question but was the letter inside a big package with other paperwork or just a small envelope type of situation?

5 hours ago, jage24 said:

Weird question but was the letter inside a big package with other paperwork or just a small envelope type of situation?

Hey, it came in a big brown envelope. I would say like an A4 size. Are you an international student?

9 hours ago, alex1213 said:

I got into UBC Okanagan MSW Advanced back in December. Still haven't heard from UBC Vancouver...

Hey Alex, apparently those who applied to the university of Calgary msw won't hear back until end of March, I applied for the same stream! Fingers crossed for us. 

12 hours ago, alex1213 said:

I applied to the advanced clinical msw at calgary and haven't heard yet either...

I called last month and they said mid to late March. Fingers crossed we will hear back sooner!

Edited by TLF26

13 hours ago, alex1213 said:

I got into UBC Okanagan MSW Advanced back in December. Still haven't heard from UBC Vancouver...

I called UBC Vancouver and asked when they usually make decisions. The said "around this time of the year". I don't know what that means and it definitely didn't ease my stress. Fingers crossed for all of us!

Has anyone heard back from York yet? I know someone had mentioned earlier in the thread that advanced standing applicants are supposed to hear this week and 2 year applicants next week. Does anyone know from previous years whether they send out offers, rejections and waitlists all in the same couple weeks?

Hi folks,

I have been following this thread for months, and have looked at years past- it has been so helpful seeing what others experiences are. I thought i would give an update on mine:

- Applied to Laurier, UOT (children & families), and McGill (children & Families, and Women & Gender) advanced standing, as I am finishing my BSW this April. I have an average in my last year of studies of an 84%, and I have accumulated 5000+ hours of social work experience (work, volunteer, national boards, placements, and teaching assistant positions) 

- rejected from laurier
- waitlisted for UOT
- Accepted into McGill (today)

1 hour ago, ericamckenzie12345 said:

hey everyone

I heard from York earlier this afternoon about admissions via phone. they said that people should be receiving their acceptance packages in the mail late this week or early next week. good luck everyone

Thank you! Is that for the one year program?

45 minutes ago, bigdreamsandclassicplaid said:

Hi friends!

Another long-term lurker here! Just  as a heads up - I was told by a friend of mine that UCalgary's decisions will be out no later than Monday, March 19th! 

I hope that puts many of you (myself included) at ease! :)

Thanks so much! :)

4 hours ago, bigdreamsandclassicplaid said:

Hi friends!

Another long-term lurker here! Just  as a heads up - I was told by a friend of mine that UCalgary's decisions will be out no later than Monday, March 19th! 

AH so close but not close enough. I was really good about not worrying but now I'm going to be on edge till then. Can't wait to hear what happens for everyone, good luck!

6 hours ago, bigdreamsandclassicplaid said:

Hi friends!

How does you friend know? I hope so!! Eek now I'll be at the end of my seat until then haha here's hoping we hear good news!! 

12 hours ago, Pearl Nicole said:

Hi folks,

I have been following this thread for months, and have looked at years past- it has been so helpful seeing what others experiences are. I thought i would give an update on mine:

- Applied to Laurier, UOT (children & families), and McGill (children & Families, and Women & Gender) advanced standing, as I am finishing my BSW this April. I have an average in my last year of studies of an 84%, and I have accumulated 5000+ hours of social work experience (work, volunteer, national boards, placements, and teaching assistant positions) 

- rejected from laurier
- waitlisted for UOT
- Accepted into McGill (today)

congratulations on your acceptance! i actually came here to ask if anyone has heard from mcgill. it's interesting to me that not many folks on here mention it. what're your thoughts on mcgill, if you don't mind me asking? it is my first pick but now i am wondering if people know something about their school of social work that i don't, lol.

btw i applied to mcgill for the qualifying year as i have a BA. i havent heard back from them yet, but there's still time imo. i also applied to ubc okanagan's two year msw program and was accepted.

2 hours ago, sleepysocialworker said:

congratulations on your acceptance! i actually came here to ask if anyone has heard from mcgill. it's interesting to me that not many folks on here mention it. what're your thoughts on mcgill, if you don't mind me asking? it is my first pick but now i am wondering if people know something about their school of social work that i don't, lol.

btw i applied to mcgill for the qualifying year as i have a BA. i havent heard back from them yet, but there's still time imo. i also applied to ubc okanagan's two year msw program and was accepted.

The only reason I didn’t apply was because fluency in french is a requirement to secure a practicum. Unless that’s changed since 2015! Do you happen to know anything about that? I’d consider applying next round if I’m not accepted anywhere. 

1 hour ago, smntoronto said:

The only reason I didn’t apply was because fluency in french is a requirement to secure a practicum. Unless that’s changed since 2015! Do you happen to know anything about that? I’d consider applying next round if I’m not accepted anywhere. 

3 hours ago, sleepysocialworker said:

Fluency in French is still a requirement (or at least very heavily weighed as they say their placement opportunities for non-French speakers is very 'limiited'); it makes sense when you think about it since you have to be bilingual to work in most places in Montreal, especially in the public sector. I also applied to McGill's qualifying year with a BA as my first choice, and I was told by their admissions person that all answers for the QY were going to be forwarded by the end of this week. (faints) I think I mentioned on the first page of this thread that I was worried about my hours not making the cut, but felt pretty secure about my academic credentials. 

Edited by babybull

22 minutes ago, babybull said:

Fluency in French is still a requirement (or at least very heavily weighed as they say their placement opportunities for non-French speakers is very 'limiited'); it makes sense when you think about it since you have to be bilingual to work in most places in Montreal, especially in the public sector. I also applied to McGill's qualifying year with a BA as my first choice, and I was told by their admissions person that all answers for the QY were going to be forwarded by the end of this week. (faints) I think I mentioned on the first page of this thread that I was worried about my hours not making the cut, but felt pretty secure about my academic credentials. 

this is exactly how i understand it, as well. you can still apply if you arent fluent in french, but fluency is certainly valuable because of practicum placements. in the application itself, you are asked about your level of fluency, so i  imagine that they consider it in conjunction with all components. my french is limited and i chose to be forthright about that in my application. when i hear back from the school (hopefully sometime this week -- eek!), i will post my answer here as it might provide some insight!

2 hours ago, babybull said:

Hey,

McGill is known as one of the leading MSW programs in the country. I do not speak or understand any french, and am solely anglophone. I was upfront about that in my application, and I also did not have the required statistics course necessary (I have to complete this as part of my conditional acceptance), and I was still accepted into the program with the double specialization. McGill is known as one of the most competitive programs as well. I really did not think I would get into this school, however I was accepted and offered an amazing supervisor to work understand. This program has a practicum, course work, and an independent study project (not a thesis).

14 minutes ago, Pearl Nicole said:

Hey,

McGill is known as one of the leading MSW programs in the country. I do not speak or understand any french, and am solely anglophone. I was upfront about that in my application, and I also did not have the required statistics course necessary (I have to complete this as part of my conditional acceptance), and I was still accepted into the program with the double specialization. McGill is known as one of the most competitive programs as well. I really did not think I would get into this school, however I was accepted and offered an amazing supervisor to work understand. This program has a practicum, course work, and an independent study project (not a thesis).

So I've heard. The only thing that makes me nervous about the Qualifying Year is that I've heard of other applicants who got the minimum required GPA to be recommended to the MSW by the end of their QY, and still didn't make it. That seems like a cruel waste of tuition money/hopes. In any case, French is not a problem for me personally. I've lived my whole life in Montreal.

Edited by babybull

On 2018-03-05 at 11:16 PM, alex1213 said:

Hey, I received conditional acceptance to UBC-O for September 2018 as well. I heard back in December though, so strange. I am still waiting to hear back from Vancouver as well. I just send an email to the field education coordinator if there is any chance i could do a practicum back in my home community (Vancouver). 

My acceptance to UBC-O is still conditional as they are waiting for my final transcripts and criminal record check to go through. 

Did you accept the offer?

Yes, I accepted the offer! I sent my final transcripts in December and will do my criminal record check shortly. Hopefully they will allow you to do your practicum in Vancouver. I’m from the east coast, so I’m interested to hear about practicum options in the Okanagan and to see how the schedule will play out. I haven’t received any information from the social work department yet, just the graduate studies welcome package. 

Heads up for anyone else who applied to the two year MSW program at UNBC. I phoned admissions yesterday and they are planning  on sending out decisions on March 15th! Good luck!

19 hours ago, ericamckenzie12345 said:

hey everyone

I heard from York earlier this afternoon about admissions via phone. they said that people should be receiving their acceptance packages in the mail late this week or early next week. good luck everyone

Hey! Did you phone them and just ask? Or they phoned you? Thanks!