Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

58 minutes ago, ericamckenzie12345 said:

hey they called me to offer admission. it was late yesterday afternoon. 

Congrats, Erica!! :) That must be an incredible feeling!

Has anyone else heard back from York? I'm killing myself trying to figure out if York called everyone admitted the same day or what... haha (York is my first choice of schools)

9 minutes ago, CGal Social Worker said:

Has anyone else heard back from York? I'm killing myself trying to figure out if York called everyone admitted the same day or what... haha (York is my first choice of schools)

I applied to York, Ryerson and UofT. I was wait listed at UofT (didn't change on my online status, I got a letter in the mail), and I haven't heard from Ryerson or York and there has been no status change online.

9 minutes ago, Louise24 said:

I applied to York, Ryerson and UofT. I was wait listed at UofT (didn't change on my online status, I got a letter in the mail), and I haven't heard from Ryerson or York and there has been no status change online.

Hey Louise! Thanks for replying! Same here - I also applied to both York and Ryerson (1 year) and haven't heard anything back yet...

I also applied to UofT (waitlisted), and York and Ryerson!!The wait is killing me! Does anyone know how these schools compare to one another competitiveness wise? I heard that UofT gets priority over placement locations followed by York and Ryerson but I'm not entirely sure! 

My hope is that people who have gotten offers have applied to multiple schools and some waitlist spots open up. Hoping people will share when they get results!

Best of luck to everyone!!

7 minutes ago, hannahdaviidson said:

Congrats to everyone who is getting acceptances! I applied for the 2 year programs at York and U of T so I'm hoping to hear from them soon! 

Hey Hannah, I'm also waiting on these programs :) I wanted to see if you'd by any chance heard anything about when York sends out all decisions including acceptances, waitlists and rejections? Someone mentioned next week for 2 year applicants but last time I applied (2015), I received a "Decision Made" (rejection) on MyFile by mid-February so I'm wondering whether I it's a good sign that I've received nothing so far.. that is if they send out rejections first. 

6 minutes ago, MSW_Hopeful144 said:

I also applied to UofT (waitlisted), and York and Ryerson!!The wait is killing me! Does anyone know how these schools compare to one another competitiveness wise? I heard that UofT gets priority over placement locations followed by York and Ryerson but I'm not entirely sure! 

My hope is that people who have gotten offers have applied to multiple schools and some waitlist spots open up. Hoping people will share when they get results!

Best of luck to everyone!!

UofT doesn't necessarily get priority, but for some specializations I.E., health + mental health, they have a pre-existing partnerships with programs in UHN hospitals, CAMH, etc. Because of this, they select a majority of placement students from UofT with the exception of one or two Ryerson/York students. The same could be said with existing partnerships that Ryerson/York have. It all depends on what you are looking to get into!

Edited by ctbsw

7 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Hey Hannah, I'm also waiting on these programs :) I wanted to see if you'd by any chance heard anything about when York sends out all decisions including acceptances, waitlists and rejections? Someone mentioned next week for 2 year applicants but last time I applied (2015), I received a "Decision Made" (rejection) on MyFile by mid-February so I'm wondering whether I it's a good sign that I've received nothing so far.. that is if they send out rejections first. 

With York, they've started informing students via phone. They will call you. if you're super eager you can call them and ask for the Graduate Program Assistant. Just be aware that the results can be negative... good luck!

7 minutes ago, CatC said:

With York, they've started informing students via phone. They will call you. if you're super eager you can call them and ask for the Graduate Program Assistant. Just be aware that the results can be negative... good luck!

So they only call you if you are accepted?

Just now, Louise24 said:

So they only call you if you are accepted?

Yeah, typically by the end of next week. If you don't hear from them then you either are waitlisted (which you'll get an email for) or rejected which most likely will appear on your file. You can try calling them if you want to know in advance.

3 minutes ago, CatC said:

Yeah, typically by the end of next week. If you don't hear from them then you either are waitlisted (which you'll get an email for) or rejected which most likely will appear on your file. You can try calling them if you want to know in advance.

Did they say this timeline (end of next week) only applies to advanced standing?

2 minutes ago, CatC said:

Yeah they did, only for the 1 year and 2 year advance standing program.

Hmm only 1 year is considered advanced standing, and 2 year is regular track. I assume you mean yes, that timeline only applies to people applying to the 1 year program? 

Just now, smntoronto said:

Hmm only 1 year is considered advanced standing, and 2 year is regular track. I assume you mean yes, that timeline only applies to people applying to the 1 year program? 

You're right, 1 year advance standing and the two year msw program... the decisions have been made and we should hear back this week. If you don't hear back by Friday then you haven't gotten in.

2 minutes ago, CatC said:

You're right, 1 year advance standing and the two year msw program... the decisions have been made and we should hear back this week. If you don't hear back by Friday then you haven't gotten in.

Ah ok thank you for clarifying! 

6 minutes ago, CatC said:

Whew... well that's sobering... :o:o but I guess it'll be a relief to know either way and be able to put an end to the waiting...

1 hour ago, CGal Social Worker said:

I also received a call from York with an offer of admission late yesterday afternoon (1 year advanced standing).