Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

2 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Hey Hannah, I'm also waiting on these programs :) I wanted to see if you'd by any chance heard anything about when York sends out all decisions including acceptances, waitlists and rejections? Someone mentioned next week for 2 year applicants but last time I applied (2015), I received a "Decision Made" (rejection) on MyFile by mid-February so I'm wondering whether I it's a good sign that I've received nothing so far.. that is if they send out rejections first. 

Hey! Unfortunately, I don't know much :( This is my first time applying so all I really know is what's come up from the forums. Neither of my applications say "decision made" so we're in the same boat!

1 hour ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

Has anyone heard from UofT or Laurier for the 2 year program at all?

For U of T's 2 year program they typically send results out late March/early April. One year I received my waitlist letter the last week of March, and the one before was the first week of April. Good luck!

5 hours ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

Has anyone heard from UofT or Laurier for the 2 year program at all?

I dont know if youre talking about the online program for laurier but i applied to that one starting in May and I've heard nothing... anyone have info on this  ☹?

Has anyone completed the SOCI 301 (Social Statistics) course through Athabasca University? 

I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on this course ie: how long it took to complete, was it very difficult, etc. 

Edited by smntoronto

58 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Has anyone completed the SOCI 301 (Social Statistics) course through Athabasca University? 

I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on this course ie: how long it took to complete, was it very difficult, etc. 

Are you considering taking this in order to meet the research methods requirement? Have you applied to Laurier? 

27 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

Are you considering taking this in order to meet the research methods requirement? Have you applied to Laurier? 

Nope, I didn’t apply to Laurier. I’d be doing it to fulfill requirements at Windsor and Carleton. Have you taken it?

Hi all,

Most of York's 1-Year Advanced Standing MSW offers will go out by the end of this week. If you do not receive an offer by Monday, it means you were either denied or wait-listed.  

The 2-Year Part-Time Advanced Standing MSW and 2-Year Full-Time MSW offers will go out by the end of next week. 

Good luck to all those still waiting! 

22 hours ago, hannahdaviidson said:

Hey! Unfortunately, I don't know much :( This is my first time applying so all I really know is what's come up from the forums. Neither of my applications say "decision made" so we're in the same boat!

I've been accepted to U of T and York via mail and phone call, and the online status still doesn't say if I've been accepted or a decision has been made.  Ryerson's RAMSS just changed two days after I received a  phone call offering admission.  So don't trust the online application status just yet!

I didn't think I would have this issue, but now I'm feeling all of this pressure to make the right choice for uni. CRAP, LIFE IS HURD. 

Thank you everyone, for being supportive of each other and telling us your fears, advice and all of your sherlock investigation work.  This waiting was (and still is) really tough. Those people who have tried last year and the year before, I admire you for your tenacity.

Good luck and keep on going being your fabulous selves!

Edited by BruiseV08
more info

5 minutes ago, BruiseV08 said:

I've been accepted to U of T and York via mail and phone call, and the online status still doesn't say if I've been accepted or a decision has been made.  Ryerson's RAMSS just changed two days after I received a  phone call offering admission.  I didn't think I would have this issue, but now I'm feeling all of this pressure to make the right choice for uni. CRAP, LIFE IS HURD. 

Thank you everyone, for being supportive of each other and telling us your fears, advice and all of your sherlock investigation work.  This was (and still is) really tough - waiting is painful. Those people who have tried last year and the year before, I admire you for your tenacity.

Congratulations! I can't think of a better dilemma to have :)

12 minutes ago, BruiseV08 said:

I've been accepted to U of T and York via mail and phone call, and the online status still doesn't say if I've been accepted or a decision has been made.  Ryerson's RAMSS just changed two days after I received a  phone call offering admission.  So don't trust the online application status just yet!

I didn't think I would have this issue, but now I'm feeling all of this pressure to make the right choice for uni. CRAP, LIFE IS HURD. 

Thank you everyone, for being supportive of each other and telling us your fears, advice and all of your sherlock investigation work.  This waiting was (and still is) really tough. Those people who have tried last year and the year before, I admire you for your tenacity.

Take the one that offers the most money! 

Just kidding. Best to take the one that best complements your areas of interest. 

On 3/6/2018 at 12:58 PM, smntoronto said:

Has anyone heard back from York yet? I know someone had mentioned earlier in the thread that advanced standing applicants are supposed to hear this week and 2 year applicants next week. Does anyone know from previous years whether they send out offers, rejections and waitlists all in the same couple weeks?

I got a phone call yesterday with an offer for the advanced program.

Congratulations, BruiseV08 (and all those who have received acceptances over the past couple of days)!!

As @smntoronto said, AWESOME dilemma to have :D. And as @SWYorkie said, if money isn't a major issue for you, go with paradigmatic framework! There are substantial differences between U of T and York/Ryerson in terms of what you'll learn and how you'll learn it, especially given your chosen stream at U of T.  If you had only gotten into one school, you could – of course – have shaped your degree/placements to meet your specific pedagogical and professional goals, but given the fact that you have your pick of the litter, you now have the incredible opportunity to choose the institution that's the best fit for you in terms of values and interests. Good luck!!

1 hour ago, BruiseV08 said:

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Wording

Hey folks,

Long time lurker... I just signed up to share that I called York just now, and was told that anyone who has not already received a call for the advanced standing has been either waitlisted or rejected. I spoke to the Graduate Program Assistant who told me that he already personally called everyone who has been accepted.

I hope this helps everyone who has been waiting. I did not get in either. He did mention that the program is so competitive (he said possibly the most competitive, as it has an approximately 3% acceptance rate), that being accepted or denied often doesn't reflect how strong the application was. It is often decided by other factors like your research interests aligning with the research supervisors'.

I really hope this helps!

Edited by Monoo
clarity

1 hour ago, kleigh17 said:

Just wanted to update everyone and let you know that Calgary is emailing 2 year acceptances! (I got mine an hour ago).

Very excited!

Congratulations! I got an acceptance email for the 2-year program at Calgary this morning too. It would be great to set up a Facebook group or something so people can connect with each other in advance. 

23 minutes ago, h8omb said:

Congratulations! I got an acceptance email for the 2-year program at Calgary this morning too. It would be great to set up a Facebook group or something so people can connect with each other in advance. 

Congrats! So exciting! I am waiting to hear back on the 1 year program at Calgary. Did your status change online first? Or did u receive an email acceptance first?

20 minutes ago, TLF26 said:

Congrats! So exciting! I am waiting to hear back on the 1 year program at Calgary. Did your status change online first? Or did u receive an email acceptance first?

I checked my status online this morning and it didn't say anything. I looked after I got the email and it had changed, but I'm not sure which came first. 

44 minutes ago, h8omb said:

Yes! 

3 hours ago, SWYorkie said:

Take the one that offers the most money! 

Just kidding. Best to take the one that best complements your areas of interest. 

It is pretty tempting . . . 

Anyway, a brief update: all of my online status' have changed today from U of T, York and Ryerson.  York says "Admitted" with a link to ACCEPT/DECLINE, and U of T says "Decision Made", and Ryerson also. I just declined York, so there's at least one spot that just opened up to a York hopeful. 

Edited by BruiseV08
bragging too much :(

6 minutes ago, kleigh17 said:

I checked my status online this morning and it didn't say anything. I looked after I got the email and it had changed, but I'm not sure which came first. 

Awesome, thanks! :) I will stop checking online multiple times a day now.