Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

6 hours ago, LemonIceCream said:

Hi everyone,

I'm getting quite nervous about these applications now that everyone seems to be hearing back except me. Someone mentioned that some of the schools will only update their decision on your application submission page (one their site) and not send you an email with the results.

Can anyone tell me if the following schools will send emails? The schools are U of T, Windsor and Laurier.

Thank you, and good luck to everyone!

hey there. I can only speak for U of T because I didn't apply to the other schools. I found out my acceptance for U of T online (through ACORN) and I received an admission package in the mail. Good luck! 

49 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Do any of you think the York strike will affect decision timing for us? 

I really hope not. From what I've read online, it sounds like administrative staff are not striking. So long as decisions have been made by committees, admin staff just have to send them out. 

I'd heard that waitlists are generally half of the program's actual size, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. U of T doesn't reveal much about their waitlists. 

6 minutes ago, emmasw said:

hi there! 

Does anyone know how long the waitlists are for 2 year MSW at UofT, York, or Laurier? Someone on here mentioned that the UofT waitlist is relatively short - is this true?

Thanks in advance! 

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I don't usually use forums but thought I'd give it a shot: 

I was accepted again (applied last year and got in, but declined) to Carleton (advanced standing) after being out of my BSW for a bit. I'm doing my second undergrad because I'm applying for MD programs. I let U of T know of this (in the essays)...and I might have gotten waitlisted as a result? Carleton is giving me OGS on top of a good scholarship but I really want U of T because of their health and mental health stream + school location. We will see though, hard to decide without know what is on the table. 

14 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

I'd heard that waitlists are generally half of the program's actual size, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. U of T doesn't reveal much about their waitlists. 

Do you know how large the classes are at UofT, York, and Laurier? Can't seem to find anything online... I'm assuming it changes each year but just a rough idea would be helpful!

5 minutes ago, emmasw said:

Do you know how large the classes are at UofT, York, and Laurier? Can't seem to find anything online... I'm assuming it changes each year but just a rough idea would be helpful!

I believe U of T is 120-140, York is 25 and Laurier (I didn't apply here so can't say for sure) but I think is also about 25. 

Hello ... I've been reading your posts without contributing anything.  I applied to Laurier's online/part-time program starting in May.  Has anyone else applied or heard anything?  When I initially contacted them, I was told they were doing rolling admissions for that program and I'd hear back in 2 weeks.  Then when I submitted my application, it was up to 4 weeks.  Then everyone who applied would hear by the end of February. 

Still haven't heard anything back at all ... the program is supposed to start in 2 months.  I'm wondering for practical reasons too, like am I going to be needing to pay tuition?  What about summer plans?  I'm sure everyone here can relate that knowing something would be fantastic compared to simply being left with silence.

1 hour ago, emmasw said:

hi there! 

Does anyone know how long the waitlists are for 2 year MSW at UofT, York, or Laurier? Someone on here mentioned that the UofT waitlist is relatively short - is this true?

Thanks in advance! 

1 hour ago, smntoronto said:

I've heard the same thing, that U of T's wait list sits around 70 people. It's pretty huge. I remember in a thread from around 2 years ago commenters were laughing because almost everyone who had applied to U of T had been waitlisted (you need to skim the thread from 2016, I think). Like others have mentioned, it is totally possible to move off the wait list but it is rare and I would remain hopeful but cautious. 

I was on the wait list for the 2 year program twice and I was never offered admission, despite sending in updated grades (A+ average) and updated work/volunteer experience over the summer. It really depends on their cohorts and what kind of applicant they might need to balance out diversity/experience/stream placement..etc for that cohort year is my guess. They say they don't rank their waitlists but evaluate everyone holistically when a spot becomes available. Good luck to those waiting! Don't lose hope just yet. It might take a few tries and more experience in the field but it still possible to make it :)

Edited by socialwerqer
typos

1 hour ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Hello ... I've been reading your posts without contributing anything.  I applied to Laurier's online/part-time program starting in May.  Has anyone else applied or heard anything?  When I initially contacted them, I was told they were doing rolling admissions for that program and I'd hear back in 2 weeks.  Then when I submitted my application, it was up to 4 weeks.  Then everyone who applied would hear by the end of February. 

Still haven't heard anything back at all ... the program is supposed to start in 2 months.  I'm wondering for practical reasons too, like am I going to be needing to pay tuition?  What about summer plans?  I'm sure everyone here can relate that knowing something would be fantastic compared to simply being left with silence.

Hey, I've been reading through these posts for a while too, it's my first time replying. I applied to the part-time program at laurier that starts in May as well. I haven't heard back anything from them at all. I called them last week and they said that they will be sending out letters by the end of March. I know it's super short notice and a really crapy way to do it.

Edited by rsingh

14 minutes ago, rsingh said:

Hey, I've been reading through these posts for a while too, it's my first time replying. I applied to the part-time program at laurier that starts in May as well. I haven't heard back anything from them at all. I called them last week and they said that they will be sending out letters by the end of March. I know it's super short notice and a really crapy way to do it.

Well that really is crappy.  They're really dragging this process on. 

4 hours ago, socialwerqer said:

I've heard the same thing, that U of T's wait list sits around 70 people. It's pretty huge. I remember in a thread from around 2 years ago commenters were laughing because almost everyone who had applied to U of T had been waitlisted (you need to skim the thread from 2016, I think). Like others have mentioned, it is totally possible to move off the wait list but it is rare and I would remain hopeful but cautious. 

Hey guys, I just wanted to pipe and and say that I second this. 

There have been a lot of questions on here about the size of uoft's waitlist, and the chance of getting in. I wanted to share what I've seen over the years. 

Over the years I've see A LOT of my friends, classmates, co-workers, acquaintances, colleagues, whatever apply for the MSW at uoft (around 30 if you count applications and not applicants). All I can say are that from what I've seen, rejections are far and few (especially for the advanced standing), and that most of the non-acceptances are waitlists. Although I will never definitively know if this is true, it seems that a waitlist result is almost synonymous to a rejection. 

I wasn't going to share this conjecture of mine because I didn't want to bring down people's hopes. But I do think that it's important for those on the waitlist not to obsess (it's not good for your health). I think that you should think of getting off the waitlist as an happy surprise. If you don't get off, that doesn't mean that you're not good enough, but know that the odds really are against you. 

Again, I wasn't really going to post this because I didn't want to bring anyone down. But I think it's important to be able to move on and take up other opportunities. 

6 hours ago, emmasw said:

hi there! 

Thanks in advance! 

When I applied in 2015 I was waitlisted at U of T, and they said there were 75 people on the waitlist (for the 2 year program, not sure about 1 year)

*Edit - I should have read to the end of the page. sorry to duplicate! 

Edited by foxstock

On 3/4/2018 at 8:45 AM, JacksonMSW said:

For those of you waiting to hear back from the advanced standing MSW program at UBC or UBC-O - I received acceptance to UBC-O on February 20th. 

Hey, I received conditional acceptance to UBC-O for September 2018 as well. I heard back in December though, so strange. I am still waiting to hear back from Vancouver as well. I just send an email to the field education coordinator if there is any chance i could do a practicum back in my home community (Vancouver). 

My acceptance to UBC-O is still conditional as they are waiting for my final transcripts and criminal record check to go through. 

Did you accept the offer?

On 2/24/2018 at 9:13 AM, h8omb said:

Hi all! Any other University of Calgary applicants out there? I'm currently living in Vancouver and only applied to Calgary for the course-based Foundation MSW. Is anyone else obsessively checking their email and their application status online? Any idea when decisions might start coming out?

I applied to the advanced clinical msw at calgary and haven't heard yet either...

9 hours ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Same boat and nada :(

On 2/20/2018 at 10:13 AM, JacksonMSW said:

Let me know if you hear anything! I'm waiting to hear from the advanced MSW at UBC Okanagan. Maybe knowing one of us has heard something from UBC advanced could help ease our minds. I received an email on Feb 6th that said my application was 'under review' so I've been checking my email on the hour ever since. I'm starting to worry. 

I got into UBC Okanagan MSW Advanced back in December. Still haven't heard from UBC Vancouver...

On 3/4/2018 at 12:01 PM, socialwerqer said:

hey there. I can only speak for U of T because I didn't apply to the other schools. I found out my acceptance for U of T online (through ACORN) and I received an admission package in the mail. Good luck! 

I am from US and not familiar with too much of Canada so can you help me understand what ACORN is?

Edited by jage24