Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

45 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I know I am wondering the same thing. My stomach is flipping! 

I emailed Western asking when we would hear back and the girl emailed me back and said that I was not accepted due to the non-academic portion of the application...Sucks because I have been working many jobs in the field for the past couple of years with over 4000 hours.. 

3 minutes ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

Same here! 

ughhh it sucks! I feel better knowing someone else got the same though.. I was not expecting to have answer like that in my email ahha

7 minutes ago, mitchae said:

This process is so soul crushing.. 

It is. I’m actually really frustrated with the process at this point. It would be nice to know what they’re expecting/looking for. Online it said that approximately 1,000 hours is recommended to be competitive. I guess it depends on the applicant pool.

4 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

It is. I’m actually really frustrated with the process at this point. It would be nice to know what they’re expecting/looking for. Online it said that approximately 1,000 hours is recommended to be competitive. I guess it depends on the applicant pool.

Wow. Soul crushing is a perfect way to describe. I am applying to my BSW and have been lurking this forum just to see peoples comments. I have been working fulltime in the field for approximately 4 years and feel like this won't be enough for anywhere. People who were accepted to Western, how many hours did  you have? I'm sorry to all who were not successful, did you apply to other schools?

19 hours ago, chinnz006 said:

Does Laurier have a platform to check admissions status (kinda like UofT's ACORN)?? I know there's LORIS, but I'm not sure where it would indicate my admissions status?

18 hours ago, SwagMaster said:

I've actually heard of 2 people who got in now. I asked and one of them said found out via email, and the other said it was the online status.

This morning I got an email from Laurier that their selection process is completed and that I can be waitlisted if I want to be. It says in the email that there are 35 spots for the waitlist and that you can be accepted from the waitlist until july 31 2018. you also have until March 20 to say if you would like to accept or decline to be on the waitlist. I did not notice any differences to my LORIS account. Hope this helps!

4 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Truly. Did you apply anywhere else this year? You're a 2 year applicant right? 

I also applied to UNBC and Calgary for the 2-year program. I think my best shot is probably with UNBC. This is my second year applying. Last year I got waitlisted at Windsor and accepted to Lakehead's 1-year BSW post-grad program. I still have lakehead as a back up, but I still rather not have to apply for a 1-year MSW this coming fall ahha 

3 minutes ago, mitchae said:

I also applied to UNBC and Calgary for the 2-year program. I think my best shot is probably with UNBC. This is my second year applying. Last year I got waitlisted at Windsor and accepted to Lakehead's 1-year BSW post-grad program. I still have lakehead as a back up, but I still rather not have to apply for a 1-year MSW this coming fall ahha 

For sure. I feel your pain! I'm also waitlisted but at Carleton. Did you happen to make it off Windsor's waitlist? I also applied there and have no idea what I'm up against.. doesn't seem like too many people apply there. 

3 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

For sure. I feel your pain! I'm also waitlisted but at Carleton. Did you happen to make it off Windsor's waitlist? I also applied there and have no idea what I'm up against.. doesn't seem like too many people apply there. 

I remained on the waitlist all summer and never got off. I missed the Windsor application this year by one day and they didn't accept my application unfortunately. Apparently they recieved double the applications compared to last year though.. 

16 minutes ago, mitchae said:

Has Lakehead sent out their offers for this year?

13 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Windsor was also going to be my saving grace as I’ve heard not a lot of people apply there. However after reading this forum it seems it may be quite competitive as someone stated double the number of applicants applied this year. 

23 minutes ago, terriellen said:

Wow. Soul crushing is a perfect way to describe. I am applying to my BSW and have been lurking this forum just to see peoples comments. I have been working fulltime in the field for approximately 4 years and feel like this won't be enough for anywhere. People who were accepted to Western, how many hours did  you have? I'm sorry to all who were not successful, did you apply to other schools?

Yes. I applied to Carleton (rejected), King’s (Rejected), Windsor, York, Lakehead 1-year BSW and Laurier. Honestly, after being rejected at King’s and Carleton (the two I was most confident about) I am not too optimistic for York or Laurier acceptance. 

2 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Windsor was also going to be my saving grace as I’ve heard not a lot of people apply there. However after reading this forum it seems it may be quite competitive as someone stated double the number of applicants applied this year. 

I do believe that the standards of admission are somewhat lower than other MSW programs so if you far exceed their minimum requirements, then you have a good shot. My friend just finished her MSW there and said practicum opps were terrible (I'm from Windsor and can speak to the lack of employment opportunities there in general) and the program was incredibly easy compared to undergrad. But still, you come out with an MSW. The good thing is that you can do your practicum elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Yes. I applied to Carleton (rejected), King’s (Rejected), Windsor, York, Lakehead 1-year BSW and Laurier. Honestly, after being rejected at King’s and Carleton (the two I was most confident about) I am not too optimistic for York or Laurier acceptance. 

My lakehead acceptance didn't come until later April I believe, so you might have some waiting still. King's was definitely my top choice, but based on the small number of spots available in the program, I figured that even though I exceeded the minimum requirements by a lot, I probably still had a low chance. Nonetheless my spirits took a beating today and I'm feeling pretty frustrated and discouraged. Although , I'm grateful for this thread and the solidarity offered here.