Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

2 hours ago, socialwerqer said:

U of T is pretty non-transparent with their admissions policies but based on what some current and previous students have posted on this thread in the past, it seems like they do offer admission in at least two big waves. There are initial offers sent out for Advanced Standing mid-Feb and it is expected that some people will decline. There is a deadline for these people to accept. My assumption is that they do a second round of offers of admission, based on the spaces that are left from the initial round after some people turn down their offers. I remember someone who was currently attending U of T posted in the forum either last year or the year before, and she said that just because you don't receive an offer of admission initially, that it doesn't mean you are rejected. She said many of her colleagues were admitted during the second wave, some even being offered admission from the wait-list. UofT receives a huge number of applicants, about 800+ every year for about 140 spaces for both 2 year and advanced standing programs. My assumption is they try to keep their process a bit secret to mitigate people contacting them for more info or feedback.

Hi!

Your reasoning makes sense except for the part that the second wave of admission would be one for spots that the first wave did not fill. My understanding is that the deadline to accept or deny the offer is June 1, which is way later than the second wave of admission. They would fill those positions with people who have been waitlisted. 

20 hours ago, smntoronto said:

I noticed that, too. Mine hasn't changed from "review in progress by department" even though I was told I got waitlisted yesterday. Maybe just a glitch in the system.. or by some miracle they accidentally sent me a waitlist email haha. 

Hahaha - I have had the same thought :rolleyes: I think their system may be slow but who knows. 

20 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Also, I just reread on their website that they let 25 people in for each stream so I'm wondering how many people get waitlisted for each. It can't be 40. Have you heard anything ?

I have no idea!! I’m not even sure where I heard 40, just that I did. It does seem odd and too high... i keep telling myself that maybe a lot of people use carleton as a “back up” and end up at u of t instead? So maybe they have quite a bit of movement???? But I’m not sure how true that really is. It’s so hard to say. I might get desperate and email Stephanie and ask.... I’m still mostly trying not to process this (as a social worker i recognize that that is unhealthy but also have so much other things going on I just can’t deal with this) so I also might not. But I’ll keep you updated!

9 minutes ago, magfish said:

Hahaha - I have had the same thought :rolleyes: I think their system may be slow but who knows. 

I have no idea!! I’m not even sure where I heard 40, just that I did. It does seem odd and too high... i keep telling myself that maybe a lot of people use carleton as a “back up” and end up at u of t instead? So maybe they have quite a bit of movement???? But I’m not sure how true that really is. It’s so hard to say. I might get desperate and email Stephanie and ask.... I’m still mostly trying not to process this (as a social worker i recognize that that is unhealthy but also have so much other things going on I just can’t deal with this) so I also might not. But I’ll keep you updated!

I feel you! I've already bugged her a couple times. I'm not sure she's sharing any information about how many people get on the waitlist but if Carleton is anything like other schools, their waitlist is likely half the number of those who get admitted (25). It doesn't hurt to ask, you may just get more information further down the line. Those who were accepted have 21 days to accept their offers so we can rest easy knowing that we'll hear nothing at least until end of March. Sucks but I have the same hope as you! It seems like Carleton is the first choice of few so we may get lucky 

Has anyone heard anything from York? UofT is a bit of a pain in the neck too!

Honestly, this whole waiting thing is painful! lol

I am starting to think more and more that maybe I should just accept Carleton's offer especially since they offer almost 15k funding. 

Edited by GradMSW

13 minutes ago, GradMSW said:

Has anyone heard anything from York? UofT is a bit of a pain in the neck too!

Honestly, this whole waiting thing is painful! lol

I am starting to think more and more that maybe I should just accept Carleton's offer especially since they offer almost 15k funding. 

York's website says that offers won't start to go out until mid March. I followed last years forum quite a bit and they seemed to be one of the last ones to send out offers. 

6 minutes ago, hannahdaviidson said:

York's website says that offers won't start to go out until mid March. I followed last years forum quite a bit and they seemed to be one of the last ones to send out offers. 

@GradMSW I think that advanced standing applicants miiiight hear a bit sooner than mid March. 

24 minutes ago, jadeb said:

I just received my admission letter email from UVIC for the MSW 1 year advanced standing program! Not sure if anyone else applied, but email letters have gone out and statuses have changed online!

Congrats! I applied but have not heard anything. Mine still says Under review by department. Not sure if others still have this as well?

6 minutes ago, ecauley said:

Congrats! I applied but have not heard anything. Mine still says Under review by department. Not sure if others still have this as well?

Thank you!! Mine now says "Recommended by Department." And I got the email at about 10am this morning, so it's very possible they haven't made their way through all of the applicants yet! Wishing you good luck!

4 hours ago, GradMSW said:

Hi!

Your reasoning makes sense except for the part that the second wave of admission would be one for spots that the first wave did not fill. My understanding is that the deadline to accept or deny the offer is June 1, which is way later than the second wave of admission. They would fill those positions with people who have been waitlisted. 

Hey! That's good point and I'm not sure when the deadline to accept is. Those who were offered admission through ACORN should be receiving their letters soon. But I agree, June would be too late for the second wave of admission.

The good thing is that there should be a second wave as reported by alumni and current students. Congrats to everyone who has heard back! Sending positive vibes to those who are still waiting. 

4 hours ago, smntoronto said:

@GradMSW I think that advanced standing applicants miiiight hear a bit sooner than mid March. 

Yes! I just double checked this on York’s Website because I was getting antsy! Haha and it says offers for advanced standing are supposed to go out at the end of February...

I know York had a technical issue with the supplementary info form on the application and actually extended the deadline for getting everything in until Jan 26th... so I don’t know if that means we’ll be waiting a little longer or not...

Hate to be that downer but I’ve only seen that one person has received a rejection letter so far from U of T advanced standing? Anyone else? I haven’t heard anything for myself. 

applied for MSW advanced standing , child and families stream. Applying for the first time from out of province currently but graduated from Carleton U.  Anyone know if applying from out of province affects the rate at which you receive a decision? 

On 21/02/2018 at 2:57 PM, viclane96 said:

fingers crossed we get in! I haven't seen an acceptance to the children and families stream so maybe that means its coming out in waves - I emailed Angela so I'll let you know when she responds. When did your friend receive her rejection letter? @mswapplicant18

She got in the mail on the Sunday that past! (Not sure if she checks her mail daily but that's when she got it)

Hopefully we'll hear soon :)

12 hours ago, socialwerqer said:

Hey! That's good point and I'm not sure when the deadline to accept is. Those who were offered admission through ACORN should be receiving their letters soon. But I agree, June would be too late for the second wave of admission.

The good thing is that there should be a second wave as reported by alumni and current students. Congrats to everyone who has heard back! Sending positive vibes to those who are still waiting. 

I think it would be fair to assume that they indicate the deadline to accept or  reject the offer in the letter then. Best of luck everyone!

I was waitlisted last year for the 2 year MSW at U of T so I remember how stressful and all-consuming this time of waiting is. I wish you all the best and hope you all get into the program you want! I am currently finishing prerequisites at Waterloo and have applied to their post-degree BSW program. I am wishing I reapplied for the 2 year MSW programs this year but I am hoping to do the advanced standing MSW right after the BSW. I am starting to get nervous that I won't get into the BSW program. Maybe I will end up doing the intensive SSW program which I hear is also very good. I am a mature student (46) so I would like to go through this process as quickly as possible!! 

57 minutes ago, KD.msw said:

I was waitlisted last year for the 2 year MSW at U of T so I remember how stressful and all-consuming this time of waiting is. I wish you all the best and hope you all get into the program you want! I am currently finishing prerequisites at Waterloo and have applied to their post-degree BSW program. I am wishing I reapplied for the 2 year MSW programs this year but I am hoping to do the advanced standing MSW right after the BSW. I am starting to get nervous that I won't get into the BSW program. Maybe I will end up doing the intensive SSW program which I hear is also very good. I am a mature student (46) so I would like to go through this process as quickly as possible!! 

Please let me know if you have any question about Dalhousie’s distance bsw proram. 

To any of the Carleton 2-years still waiting on some information...I got this e-mail from Stephanie today...

Email sent to all applicants who have been sent an offer of admission. Congratulations on your offer of admission to the MSW. I am getting a few emails from some of you, and I have not had time to reply. We are still sending a few more offers, and once that is completed, I will send a more comprehensive email to you all in the hopes of addressing many of your questions. We do not know the schedule of our classes for the fall and winter yet, but it will be available to you on May 22.  If you click on the Public Class Schedule from this page - https://central.carleton.ca/ you can view when our courses are offered this year.

Tuition Fees for 2018-19 are not available yet, but if you view last year’s Tuition Fees, you will get an idea - https://carleton.ca/studentaccounts/tuition-fees/

You might also find the Tuition Fee Estimator helpful - https://central.carleton.ca/prod/pkg_online_fee_assess.p_main

Our MSW Handbook (2017-18) is available on this page - https://carleton.ca/socialwork/current-students/ and we will be updating it over the next few weeks.

Hey! I meant to write in this thread a few weeks ago but posted in something else lol. I am a longtime follower of this thread as I am super anxious and nervous awaiting these results. It seems a lot of people have applied to Carleton and U of T so I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about Laurier and Waterloo’s advanced standing MSW programs. I applied only to those two and still haven’t heard anything from either of them. I am actually finishing up my BSW now (done classes just placement which is done in March). So I am quite nervous and thinking I won’t be admitted because the competition seems to have lots of experience post-BSW. 

30 minutes ago, BruiseV08 said:

GUYS, U OF T ARE MAILING OFFERS OF ADMISSION!!!

I know this because mine arrived in the mail today... 

. . . 

. . . 

. . .  Ok so how do I pay for this lol

Did your acorn say invited prior to you receiving your letter? Also did you apply for 1 year advanced standing? CONGRATS, btw!! 

1 hour ago, julsmsw said:

Hey! I meant to write in this thread a few weeks ago but posted in something else lol. I am a longtime follower of this thread as I am super anxious and nervous awaiting these results. It seems a lot of people have applied to Carleton and U of T so I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about Laurier and Waterloo’s advanced standing MSW programs. I applied only to those two and still haven’t heard anything from either of them. I am actually finishing up my BSW now (done classes just placement which is done in March). So I am quite nervous and thinking I won’t be admitted because the competition seems to have lots of experience post-BSW. 

I applied solely to these two programs as well, and I am also waiting to hear! I've seen one person with an acceptance to Waterloo before Quest did their scheduled maintenance (that almost week felt like forever) and I assumed they would load offers/waitlist/rejections during that time, but still 'no decision made'. Judging from previous years, I believe Laurier only sends out their acceptances towards the end of March/early April but maybe we'll get lucky and they'll send them out early this year! Fingers crossed the information received from both schools is worth the wait! 

4 hours ago, KD.msw said:

Thank you for buoying our spirits!

From one mature student to another, I completely understand the desire to get started (and finished ;)) as quickly as possible – while recognising that it's a self-imposed urgency/anxiety. We're here at this point in our life, with all the wisdom we've gained over the (many) years, to make a real change...what's one more year, right? If you were waitlisted at U of T last year, I'm sure you'll get into the post-degree BSW program this year – and then you'll have access to so many more MSW programs, all with higher acceptant rates than the 2-year programs. I, too, have heard good things about the SSW program, but the MSW will open a lot more doors, career-wise. Anyway, whatever your decision – I wish you the very best of luck!!

Edited by cat_not_kitty

1 hour ago, BruiseV08 said:

GUYS, U OF T ARE MAILING OFFERS OF ADMISSION!!!

I know this because mine arrived in the mail today... 

. . . 

. . . 

. . .  Ok so how do I pay for this lol

That's so exciting! 

Everything seems to be happening on schedule because last year I got my waitlist letter on February 23rd, haha!

For those who applied, I know that last year they sent out acceptance, waitlist, and rejection letters all around the same time. (Not sure if everyone got one at the same time though. I just know that some acceptance, some waitlist, and some rejections all came out this time last year.)

7 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

That's so exciting! 

Everything seems to be happening on schedule because last year I got my waitlist letter on February 23rd, haha!

For those who applied, I know that last year they sent out acceptance, waitlist, and rejection letters all around the same time. (Not sure if everyone got one at the same time though. I just know that some acceptance, some waitlist, and some rejections all came out this time last year.)

Did they ever tell you what place you were on waitlist? For those of us who might get waitlisted- is it worth calling admissions to try and find out our place on the list, or are they not able to let us know?

Edited by hamlam