Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

3 hours ago, BruiseV08 said:

Check out your e-mail concerning your U of T Join id for the info you need to log into Acorn, then head on over to http://www.acorn.utoronto.ca/ . We weren't informed that we were supposed to, we're just keeners who are anxious for news and are wandering around for answers. I only found out about Acorn and Rosi, whatever from these forums.

Hope that helps!

Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical, because it seems like everyone has been accepted, including myself.  I wonder if "invited" just means that we had applied to U of T. 

:(

Hey! So based on threads from previous years, "invited" pretty much means you are accepted. ACORN will say nothing if you are waitlisted or rejected. Even if your ACORN says nothing right now, you could still be accepted in the coming weeks. This does not mean you are not in, yet. U of T sends out acceptances in waves, like make programs. Keep checking and don't lose hope yet. 

I kept checking ACORN neurotically every day this application season and under Academics it was always blank. Now, mine is showing MSW 2018-2019 Invited (see below). Prior to this year, I was waitlisted for two years in a row and it never said "Invited". Trust me, I need to receive the acceptance letter in order to be 100% sure I am accepted. I will keep you all posted on when/if a letter arrives. I hope this helps and good luck <3

5a8dd71722e61_ScreenShot2018-02-20at10_50_37AM.png.60630e672037f4599c5dadccc8b2cf7a.png

1 hour ago, karisma said:

I did my undergrad in business with a major in human resources management! Although my degree is in business, in HR, we have a huge emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion. I've conducted a seminar in diversity and inclusion: "gender and sexuality in the workplace" where I gained knowledge regarding social work relevant issues such as misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, and how they affect an individual's success in the labor market, education system, and in overall society. I also critically analyzed this through a social, cultural, economical, and political point of view and obtained info on personal struggles associated with individuals who have issues with gender identity and have faced discrimination regarding their gender and sexual orientation, as well as the gaps that currently exist in helping them integrate into society. Also conducted a training session for training and development in workplace harassment where we addressed the prohibited grounds and how this affects the workplace in the context of an organization, person, and task (so needs analysis)

My GPA in my final year was a 3.98 on a 4.33 scale. I'm in the process of completing my research course (one assignment to go!) which I'm getting an A+ in (fingers crossed!)

I've worked at a housing and support agency which provides services to newcomers from arabic, farsi, and spanish speaking environments; ran a few groups and helped run client programs (840 hours in total). I was also a program facilitator at a youth summer program in BC where it aiemd to strengthen and nurture the sense of belonging in the community and develop self-esteem, critical thinking, and inclusiveness (240 hours)

I worked at my students union as a centre for women and trans people coordinator (450 hours), in the role of a HR coordinator (250 hours), volunteered with kids who have special needs (200 hours), community centre for newcomers (since I speak around 6 languages, I used my skill to communicate with our clients and make them feel supported and safe), a group facilitator on campus, I also went abroad to volunteer in Africa where I helped develop a microfinance program for women in the village and how they can use their skills to improve their lives on a social, economic and cultural level while encouraging empowerment (300 hours), went abroad to pakistan as well (approx 600 hours) 

I have many other roles as a peer mentor, mental health listener, community leader, and program assistant at a caregiving centre which takes up about 2000-2500 hours

I also have experience as a research associate working at a diversity, equity, and inclusion firm which did social justice research, education, and consulting (900 hours)

I myself don't know if this is enough or good experience lol- but I hope it is! 

Hbu?

That is amazing! I hope you get accepted. I just graduated from specializing in Communications. I did an international internship in community development and research in Pakistan for 2 months. I also did a full year research internship regarding social justice and wellbeing. And then I did a placement at a homeless shelter for four months. I also worked for a social service in the KW region as a Communications and Youth Program Facilitator!  In terms of my grades, my GPA in my last year would be 3.7 on a 4.0 scale! 

4 minutes ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

That is amazing! I hope you get accepted. I just graduated from specializing in Communications. I did an international internship in community development and research in Pakistan for 2 months. I also did a full year research internship regarding social justice and wellbeing. And then I did a placement at a homeless shelter for four months. I also worked for a social service in the KW region as a Communications and Youth Program Facilitator!  In terms of my grades, my GPA in my last year would be 3.7 on a 4.0 scale! 

both your experience and GPA sound top notch as well! Honestly, let's just pray we all get what we deserve. I talked to a few people who graduated from the program and they said so so so many factors go into hand when determining who gets accepted. Like my friend who was on waitlist for her one year BSW last june, got accepted around then despite the fact that her GPA was a A- and research course was a B/B+

Anything can happen! and sounds like from the posts  above, you too worked super hard on your personal statements! I just really hope uoft can see that

42 minutes ago, karisma said:

I really hope so! Everyone sounds so spectacular in terms of their experience and GPA

I worked on my statements from the end of my undergrad (may 2017)! Getting so many people to look at it and tell me what they think. I lack so much confidence since I'm still working on this research course! I'll have it done in the next week or so...I just hope I'm not too late. I indicated it on my resume how I will have it done by that time frame. 

I totally get it – all the applicants (especially us keeners on this site :D) sound just incredible...but, trust me, your experience is excellent and will definitely help mitigate the admission committees' doubts (if any) about the relevance of your undergrad degree (which is, really, the only concern you should have).

Sounds like you spent loads of time – and had tons of feedback – on your statement, which is great!

If memory serves, lots of prior applicants have submitted their research mark later in the game, with no fallout (I'd guess that U of T is only just beginning to do a deep-dive into 2-year applications, now that the initial round of advanced standing offers have gone out). Getting that A+ will be another major plus for your application (U of T in particular seems to put a lot of emphasis on the research mark requirement). If I were you, I would contact Angela with your grade the moment your final grade has been released i.e., don't wait for your final transcript to be released – contact her via email with a screenshot as soon as you have any confirmation that you secured that A+, saying that you wanted to provide your grade ASAP and that you will forward your official transcript as soon as it is made available.

Edited by cat_not_kitty
I'm incapable of proofreading at this moment, it seems.

10 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

I totally get it – all the applicants (especially us keeners on this site :D) sound just incredible...but, trust me, your experience is excellent and will definitely help mitigate the admission committees' doubts (if any) about the relevance of your undergrad degree (which is, really, the only concern you should have).

Sounds like you spend loads of time – and had tons of feedback – on your statement, which is great!

If memory serves, lots of prior applicants have submitted their research mark later in the game, with no fallout (I'd guess that U of T is only just beginning to do a deep-dive into 2-year applications, now that the initial round of advanced standing offers have gone out). Getting that A+ will be another major plus for your application (U of T in particular seems to put a lot of emphasis on the research mark requirement). If I were you, I would contact Angela with your grade the moment your final grade has been released i.e., don't wait for your final transcript to be released – contact her via email with a screenshot as soon as you have any confirmation that you secured that A+, saying that you wanted to provide your grade ASAP and that you will forward your official transcript as soon as it is made available.

You're literally thegradcafe whisperer haha- doing such a good job as a social worker already (boosting our confidence and reassuring us) <3 

In terms of the relevance of my degree, Angela said that in the past, there have been several applicants and students who have possessed a business degree & as you mentioned, in the post prior to this, I tried my very best to explain the competencies that overlap between HR and social work, as well as similar concepts :) 

I shall do that! Sounds like a very good idea & a way to just hand that in.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you coming into uoft with (in terms of degree)? and is this your first time applying to the program?

33 minutes ago, karisma said:

both your experience and GPA sound top notch as well! Honestly, let's just pray we all get what we deserve. I talked to a few people who graduated from the program and they said so so so many factors go into hand when determining who gets accepted. Like my friend who was on waitlist for her one year BSW last june, got accepted around then despite the fact that her GPA was a A- and research course was a B/B+

Anything can happen! and sounds like from the posts  above, you too worked super hard on your personal statements! I just really hope uoft can see that

Thanks that makes me feel a bit better! I have been really stressed because I was nervous about not having a ton of experience. But I am really hoping that my GPA, my research course which I got an A in, and my personal statement make a big difference. The personal statement was probably the most stressful thing about this application! Other than the wait !

Hi all, 

For those of you who have heard back from UofT advanced standing, congratulations! Just wondering if anyone who has applied to the Children and Families stream has heard any news?

Also, I know each school is probably different, but does anyone know how many people are put on the average waitlist?

Thanks so much!

Hi all,

I am a long time lurker of this page and thought I would offer some insight as I know how stressed everyone is and there have been some people asking the same question. I have applied to the advance standing MSW programs at Laurier, UofT and Uvic online.

I have not heard back from Laurier or Uvic, however yesterday, my status on ACORN changed to 'invited'. I do not see any other specific information and I haven't received anything in the mail yet. I did apply for the Children and Families stream so although I don't see specifically any info about this, I would assume that my "invited" status means that I was accepted into that stream.

For reference (and in the spirit of easing any stress) , I completed my BSW at UBC with a specialization in child welfare and pretty much all of my experience is with children and families. I am also currently working as a child protection social worker in BC and have been in this role since June 2016.

4 minutes ago, ecauley said:

Hi all,

I am a long time lurker of this page and thought I would offer some insight as I know how stressed everyone is and there have been some people asking the same question. I have applied to the advance standing MSW programs at Laurier, UofT and Uvic online.

I have not heard back from Laurier or Uvic, however yesterday, my status on ACORN changed to 'invited'. I do not see any other specific information and I haven't received anything in the mail yet. I did apply for the Children and Families stream so although I don't see specifically any info about this, I would assume that my "invited" status means that I was accepted into that stream.

For reference (and in the spirit of easing any stress) , I completed my BSW at UBC with a specialization in child welfare and pretty much all of my experience is with children and families. I am also currently working as a child protection social worker in BC and have been in this role since June 2016.

Congrats btw!!!! Just wondering, but what is the name of the agency you’re working for in BC? I’m just finishing my placement at Children’s Aid Society and I’m hoping to work in child protection in the future. 

4 minutes ago, viclane96 said:

Congrats btw!!!! Just wondering, but what is the name of the agency you’re working for in BC? I’m just finishing my placement at Children’s Aid Society and I’m hoping to work in child protection in the future. 

Hey Viclane96,

Thanks!! So unlike in Ontario where CP is contracted to agencies (aka CAS), in BC all child protection jobs are directly from the provincial government which means you are employed by them and through the Ministry of Children and Family Development. There are different service delivery areas (aka regions) that you can apply for and then you get placed at an office (which ideally is close to where you live). I'm currently in Vancouver.

While MCFD (ministry of children and family development) does work with Aboriginal families in some communities, there are also some Delegated Aboriginal Agencies that have full delegation to investigate child protection reports.

Hope that clarifies things!

1 hour ago, karisma said:

You're literally thegradcafe whisperer haha- doing such a good job as a social worker already (boosting our confidence and reassuring us) <3 

In terms of the relevance of my degree, Angela said that in the past, there have been several applicants and students who have possessed a business degree & as you mentioned, in the post prior to this, I tried my very best to explain the competencies that overlap between HR and social work, as well as similar concepts :) 

I shall do that! Sounds like a very good idea & a way to just hand that in.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you coming into uoft with (in terms of degree)? and is this your first time applying to the program?

Haha re the Grad Cafe whisperer comment…there are quite a few of us on here ;). This forum has been an invaluable resource to me as I’ve geared up to applying for grad school – it’s about time that I gave back.

And that’s excellent that Angela confirmed the relevance of your degree! Makes total sense to me (as someone who spent many years working in HR myself – I’m actually a CHRL, though I moved on from working directly in HR quite some time ago).

Of course I don’t mind you asking! I was going to write out a post with a bit about my background experience anyway, just to contribute fully to the dialogue.

This is my first time applying for graduate school. My personal/professional/academic history is long and circuitous (read: I’m old and have fought tooth and nail to make it this far), but I’m officially coming in with a BA in psychology from Ryerson, with a 4.33/4.33 GPA in my senior courses (I assume you’re at Ryerson too, given the 4.33 scale?). I realised quite early on in my degree that there was a fundamental incompatibility between the paradigm of mainstream psych and my own values and worldview, so I worked from the get-go to mould my undergrad experiences to meet my commitment to politically accountable research and practice, with the understanding that I would likely shift fields to social work. I was incredibly lucky to have the help of a deeply generous mentor in this capacity, who recognised my lived experience and opened a number of doors that would otherwise be firmly closed to me as an undergraduate student. So, while I have a lot of diverse experience, both paid and volunteer (as an HR Manager, Personal Support Worker, Program Coordinator for an agency that works with families affected by incarceration, Volunteer Mentor for the same agency, Volunteer Hospice Worker, etc.), I’m hoping that my research experience, in particular, will help set my application apart for U of T – which is the only school I’ve applied to (for very specific reasons that I won’t go into just now, due to time limitations :)). I’ve worked as the Research Coordinator of a critical, feminist lab that studies issues related to gender and sexuality for the past three years (and was with the lab as an RA for a year prior to that), which has allowed me direct experience leading administration, qualitative data collection, and analysis on several studies – and has resulted in a number of co-authored peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations. I think I’ll leave it there for now – but excited to learn more about all of you, and to share more about myself, as we take on the next few weeks of waiting together!

32 minutes ago, ecauley said:

Hey Viclane96,

Thanks!! So unlike in Ontario where CP is contracted to agencies (aka CAS), in BC all child protection jobs are directly from the provincial government which means you are employed by them and through the Ministry of Children and Family Development. There are different service delivery areas (aka regions) that you can apply for and then you get placed at an office (which ideally is close to where you live). I'm currently in Vancouver.

While MCFD (ministry of children and family development) does work with Aboriginal families in some communities, there are also some Delegated Aboriginal Agencies that have full delegation to investigate child protection reports.

Hope that clarifies things!

Hey! Are you with VACFSS or MCFD? I'm aiming to do the family and child stream at UBC. 

On 2018-02-20 at 2:43 PM, smntoronto said:

I received an email from Carleton.. waitlisted.

hey smntoronto - hope you're holding up. question (since you're the only other waitlisted person I know) - has your status changed on carleton central yet?? the email said it would change to "hold for recommendation" but mine still says "review in progress". I dunno just seems weird!

4 minutes ago, magfish said:

hey smntoronto - hope you're holding up. question (since you're the only other waitlisted person I know) - has your status changed on carleton central yet?? the email said it would change to "hold for recommendation" but mine still says "review in progress". I dunno just seems weird!

I noticed that, too. Mine hasn't changed from "review in progress by department" even though I was told I got waitlisted yesterday. Maybe just a glitch in the system.. or by some miracle they accidentally sent me a waitlist email haha. 

5 minutes ago, magfish said:

Also, I just reread on their website that they let 25 people in for each stream so I'm wondering how many people get waitlisted for each. It can't be 40. Have you heard anything ?

1 hour ago, MSW_hopeful14 said:

Hi all, 

For those of you who have heard back from UofT advanced standing, congratulations! Just wondering if anyone who has applied to the Children and Families stream has heard any news?

Also, I know each school is probably different, but does anyone know how many people are put on the average waitlist?

Thanks so much!

I mentioned this below but realized that I didn't directly respond to your post,

1 hour ago, ecauley said:

I mentioned this below but realized that I didn't directly respond to your post,

I also applied to the children and families stream and my ACORN account has an “invited” under my degree registration status. I called admissions today to confirm what “invited” means. Although the person on the phone could not directly say that I have been offered admission because it’s not something they can say until you get the letter in the mail. She said that if your status has been changed to invited” it is very very very good news. So I said to her “so Ive been offered admission” and she confirmed that I have by just saying “yes”. 

Hope this helps to confirm the confusion!

20 minutes ago, Emem27 said:

I also applied to the children and families stream and my ACORN account has an “invited” under my degree registration status. I called admissions today to confirm what “invited” means. Although the person on the phone could not directly say that I have been offered admission because it’s not something they can say until you get the letter in the mail. She said that if your status has been changed to invited” it is very very very good news. So I said to her “so Ive been offered admission” and she confirmed that I have by just saying “yes”. 

Congrats!!!! Do you know if Admissions mentioned if they have sent out all of the acceptances or if there's more coming? Also, was it Angela you spoke to? @Emem27

Edited by viclane96

11 minutes ago, viclane96 said:

Congrats!!!! Do you know if Admissions mentioned if they have sent out all of the acceptances or if there's more coming? Also, was it Angela you spoke to? @Emem27

I didn’t ask that I’m sorry! :( no I called the university of Toronto graduate studies admissions and she was able to check on my account to confirm. I emailed and called Angela but she has not gotten back to me so I thought calling the general admissions was second best to truly understand what “invited” means. She mentioned that I should be receiving my letter in my the mail in the next few weeks. 

8 hours ago, CGal Social Worker said:

Hey chinnz006,

I got “invited” to the health and mental health stream for u of t as well. From everything I’ve heard (mostly from a friend currently at u of t for the msw) and other places online I think the amount of experience that people have varies a looot. My friend mentioned that many people from the program came directly from undergrad and don’t have a huge amount of experience in the field.

I have probably 2.5 years of volunteer work (but all part time), a research project (3 months), two student placements, I did a full time contract position last summer and have held a relief position at a women’s shelter for 8 months now. So in terms of full time work experience in the field, I definitely don’t have 2+ years of experience. I have a feeling what strengthened my application was strong marks and my written statements (I had a lot of personal experience to talk about). I’m also coming directly out of my BSW, but I previously did another undergrad degree. 

I hope that’s helpful!! This isn’t my first time applying to the MSW and ive literally driven myself crazy before questioning every part of my application, so I know how stressful it can be!!!! I also found that I feel waaay more ready now to do an msw now than I did before when I applied. I was soo bummed out the first time, but in retrospect, I really feel like things worked out the way they were meant to. Good luck!!! 

Hi CGal,

Thanks for sharing! it is a relief knowing that they do accept students who are coming directly out of undergrad. I know two friends who did that and one of them did their placement with CAS during her undergrad so i guess that looks really good on the application. I just don't know what to expect at this point, the waiting game is killing me!!!!

Does anyone know if the advanced standing MSW acceptances are sent out in waves? I know that the website says people may find out in April but I feel as if that's referring to the two year program. I'm just curious if anyone who has applied before knows if they may have already been all sent out? Thanks! 

1 hour ago, viclane96 said:

Does anyone know if the advanced standing MSW acceptances are sent out in waves? I know that the website says people may find out in April but I feel as if that's referring to the two year program. I'm just curious if anyone who has applied before knows if they may have already been all sent out? Thanks! 

U of T is pretty non-transparent with their admissions policies but based on what some current and previous students have posted on this thread in the past, it seems like they do offer admission in at least two big waves. There are initial offers sent out for Advanced Standing mid-Feb and it is expected that some people will decline. There is a deadline for these people to accept. My assumption is that they do a second round of offers of admission, based on the spaces that are left from the initial round after some people turn down their offers. I remember someone who was currently attending U of T posted in the forum either last year or the year before, and she said that just because you don't receive an offer of admission initially, that it doesn't mean you are rejected. She said many of her colleagues were admitted during the second wave, some even being offered admission from the wait-list. UofT receives a huge number of applicants, about 800+ every year for about 140 spaces for both 2 year and advanced standing programs. My assumption is they try to keep their process a bit secret to mitigate people contacting them for more info or feedback.

Edited by socialwerqer
typos

14 hours ago, Emem27 said:

:o Um. Wait what?  :o 

Congratulations Emem - that must have felt so good to hear! Congrats to everyone else!  

Oh. My. God. AHHHH!! 

So for any one who is curious, I applied for the mental health stream, and my last name is before H. My GPA just made the bare minimum, but looks like my volunteer and work experience, plus my personal statement and references were pretty solid though, so maybe that's what pushed me in.

AHHHHH!!!

32 minutes ago, BruiseV08 said:

:o Um. Wait what?  :o 

Congratulations Emem - that must have felt so good to hear! Congrats to everyone else!  

Oh. My. God. AHHHH!! 

So for any one who is curious, I applied for the mental health stream, and my last name is before H. My GPA just made the bare minimum, but looks like my volunteer and work experience, plus my personal statement and references were pretty solid though, so maybe that's what pushed me in.

AHHHHH!!!

Hi BruiseV08,

congrats on your acceptance!! just out of curiosity, and if you do not mind me asking-  how much experience do you have? I ask because, I believe my grades are pretty average as well and i only have work,placement and volunteer experience that I've gained during my past four years of BSW.