Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

2 hours ago, karisma said:

Hi Friends! @MMSW1 @SW Sevante

I applied to UofT for the 2-year MSW program. I'm taking the research methods course right now. I had originally signed up for it in October 2017 but wasn't able to start the course until Jan 2018 since I got busy with work and personal things swayed in. Athabasca gives an extension option (they give you an additonal 2-3 months to complete the course with a fee of $150 i believe). I started it in January and I'm literally on my last assignment right now. The tutor, peter kennett is phenomenal and super helpful :) I think I called him like 4 times to talk about the literature review assignment and he was super supportive. However, I will say that the research methods course is pretty heavy and I'm someone who has GAD so it really does take out of you mentally and emotionally- however, remember, its an intro class and the prof even knows to expect that the students aren't experts in social science. The course is going well so far (the GAD and my type A-ness combined is helping I guess? idk lol). Just make sure you prioritize! The quizzes are pretty easy- I didn't read the books, literally just used the online modules to get summaries but google helped a bit and control-f'ing key things. 

I'm no longer working anymore- so this course is literally all I'm concentrating on and have been since January. But that's because its really hard for me to juggle school and work! Definitely give it a try- I suggest you start with the quizzes and midterm first (the midterm can be saved and you can go back and complete it, same with the quizzes- no time limit which is amazing); and remember its all open book as well! 

you got this! i believe in you :) 

That is amazing news !!! I will definitely consider the extension now that I am aware its a possibility :)  Thanks for sharing your experience 

13 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

Are you taking the course right now?  I think you can request an extension.  I need to take this course if accepted into the 2 year MSW stream but was told at Laurier's info night that I didn't have to take it until I knew if I was actually in.  I am planning on starting this course on line with Athabasca in April if I am accepted.  According to the course description and information on the FAQ page it takes an average 3-4 months to complete but they allow people 6 months and also allow for extensions when circumstances permit.  Don't lose hope, I think you can do it!  :)

Is the course load at Athabasca that challenging? I was under the impression that courses offered there are quite reasonable as they often cater to working professionals who are completing courses on the side while working full time. 

Maybe I should be proactive and start now?  What's the course load like? Is it manageable with working full time? I just don't want to spend $900 on a course if I am not accepted.

I think for me it was more conditional, I def think its do-able, it was just my current life circumstance- mix  of relocating and workload increase which did not allow me to focus on the course from Dec 2017- now. However things have not settled and I will resume the course, and if needed Ill get an extension as someone so kindly informed me of this option. 

Its alot of money so I would suggest waiting to hear from Laurier. Its nice they gave you the option to start at the time of acceptance, for my UFT application they asked for proof that I was enrolled and started the course in order to even have my application considered so I had to start early on because of that . 

16 hours ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Totally get your dismay! I was really surprised when I heard this a few years back at a workshop with key members of the graduate admissions committee at my undergraduate institution. Turns out, it's a common policy in North American academia (though it varies from field to field and there are always exceptions to the rule). Here's an old but comprehensive thread discussing it (U.S. posters, but generally applies to Canada as well): https://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/224/attending-graduate-school-at-my-undergraduate-university.  It's generally seen as a means of diversifying departmental culture and research output by encouraging cross-collaboration and integration of new paradigms and foci. It's more generally part of an approach meant to counter a phenomenon known as – I kid you not – "academic inbreeding" (though this term is usually reserved for hiring students who completed their doctoral studies at the institution as instructors/professors).

This also makes total sense and doesn't surprise me one bit. Lol @ "academic inbreeding".

On another note, thank goodness it's March... one month closer to the end :lol:

49 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

I still haven't heard from Kings or Laurier. Other people who seem to have more experience then me have already been wait listed or rejected.  I wonder what that means for me. Yikes.

Don’t lose faith. Only a few people have heard from Laurier and that’s for the advanced track. The 2 year program acceptances for Laurier probably won’t come until late March. :) 

I so hope this is the year for both of us, too!!

15 hours ago, karisma said:

I pray we both get in! you sound so qualified lol- especially your gpa (kinda intimidated now haha)

Hello everyone,

Does any know the wait list lengths for Kings 1 year MSW?

Anyone planning on declining their Kings / Western acceptance offer?

Don't mean to sound desperate, just wondering my odds of getting off the wait list :)

Does anyone know if uoft does a background check after you've been accepted into the msw program? My references said they wrote great things about me, but do they end up calling them after given admission? How does this usually work for grad school lol

1 hour ago, rendom5 said:

Heard back from Waterloo and Laurier got into both! 

But I’ll be going with Waterloo because of their one line component. So for those who are still waiting for Laurier another spot will open up! Don’t loose faith, it’ll happen! 

Congrats! I’m asssuming that you applied for the 1 year stream? 

Laurier 2 year applicants (or anyone who has previously applied to laurier) - I logged into LORIS and my application is gone...?! Has anyone else experienced this? This did not happen to me when I applied last year.... I’m terrified it means I have been rejected already, although I wasn’t rejected so quickly last year and I have MORE experience and a more in depth statement this time around. Advice?!

UPDATE: my application is back!! Must have been a technical glitch with the website. Talk about a panic attack... was just about to call them! Luckily I had saved a copy of the full application so I would have hopefully been able to send that to them in the worst case scenario. 

Edited by nicoleMSW
Update

16 hours ago, Jessabee7 said:

Hi, for those who were waitlisted for U of T, did your status change to decision made? If so, was this before or after you received your letter in the mail?

Thanks!!

I was waitlisted and my SGS changed after I got my letter to "decision made." My Acorn says nothing.

15 hours ago, 242penguin said:

Hello everyone,

Does any know the wait list lengths for Kings 1 year MSW?

Anyone planning on declining their Kings / Western acceptance offer?

Don't mean to sound desperate, just wondering my odds of getting off the wait list :)

I'm in the same boat but for the 2 yr program at king's,  very curious how long this wait list is so let me know if you find out!

On 2/27/2018 at 1:09 PM, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Windsor was also going to be my saving grace as I’ve heard not a lot of people apply there. However after reading this forum it seems it may be quite competitive as someone stated double the number of applicants applied this year. 

I just spoke to my friend who did her MSW at Windsor and she said didn't hear anything until late April/May.. and she wasn't on the waitlist. My email from Erica only said the following:

"At this point we are aiming to have decisions and offers made by early spring. We received a high volume of applications this year therefore the turn around time will be a bit longer than previous years." 

When does early spring start?

<_<

Update: she said UWindsor does rolling admissions that start in early April and go out in small batches. 

Edited by smntoronto

7 hours ago, spears7 said:

I'm in the same boat but for the 2 yr program at king's,  very curious how long this wait list is so let me know if you find out!

Will do :) Good luck on the wait list journey!!

Good Evening Everyone, 

I have been religiously checking and reading the posts on this forum and finally I decided to come out of the shadows. 

I have been accepted to the University of Toronto - Adavnced Standing MSW program in the stream Children and Their Families.  I am an international student, specifically from the island of Barbados in the Caribbean and I am 22 years of age.  

When I got my acceptance letter the mail as well as the email that followed, I was still very shocked that I was offered a spot. For those of you asking, my status on SGS has now been changed to “Decision Made” even though I have not yet accepted the offer.

Congratulations to all over you have gotten their letters and also to those who have been waitlisted. To those who haven’t heard back anything as yet and are still in the waiting game, don’t lose hope! It’s not over yet.

If anyone hasn’t any questions please feel free to ask. 

Edited by CaribbeanSW

Hi everyone,

I'm getting quite nervous about these applications now that everyone seems to be hearing back except me. Someone mentioned that some of the schools will only update their decision on your application submission page (one their site) and not send you an email with the results.

Can anyone tell me if the following schools will send emails? The schools are U of T, Windsor and Laurier.

Thank you, and good luck to everyone!

2 hours ago, JacksonMSW said:

For those of you waiting to hear back from the advanced standing MSW program at UBC or UBC-O - I received acceptance to UBC-O on February 20th. 

Thanks for the update and congrats on the acceptance! I’m still waiting on UBC Van... 

5 hours ago, LemonIceCream said:

Hi everyone,

I'm getting quite nervous about these applications now that everyone seems to be hearing back except me. Someone mentioned that some of the schools will only update their decision on your application submission page (one their site) and not send you an email with the results.

Can anyone tell me if the following schools will send emails? The schools are U of T, Windsor and Laurier.

Thank you, and good luck to everyone!

Hey, u of T doesn’t send out emails unless you’re applying from an international address (as one reply indicated they are applying as an international student from the Caribbean) .if you haven’t received a letter in the mail and you’re applying as a domestic student, I would contact admissions since I think they’ve sent out admissions for the advanced standing.

if you’re applying for 2 year program, I don’t think they’ve released full admissions for that.so I would wait.