Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Just received an acceptance to McGill's QY. Waiting for UofT and York for the 2 year MSW. Have to accept by March 26th, so hoping the other school's come through before then!

I know for McGill you have to apply again for the second year, but that's not the case for UofT and York, right?

Anyone know if there are any deposits for accepting and when you have to pay by?

Edited by lydia616

Hi everyone! I've been lurking this thread for quite a while now but never bothered to make an account and post anything until now.

I've been seeing posts about people receiving phone calls and/or admissions packages in the mail already, but for most of them I couldn't tell if they were for the 1 year advanced standing programs or 2 year programs. I only applied to the 2 year programs at York and U of T  (I'm now realizing how stupid I was for only applying to 2 schools... it's DEFINITELY increasing my anxiety to levels I never knew were humanly possible).

I have so many questions! So for those of you that have heard back already (whether it be for an acceptance or rejection):

• Were you applying for the 1 year advanced standing program or the 2 year program?
  • Did you receive a phone call?
  • Did you receive an email concerning the change in your status? (I can't find anything online about whether or not an email goes out. I know that both schools will send something in the physical mail)
  • Did the online status of your application change from "no decision yet" (for York) or "under review" (for U of T)?
  • Did you receive a package in the mail?

If you don't have answers to these specific questions but have information about timelines for admissions (from this year, I've already read through the info about people's experiences from previous years) PLEASE let me know. I'm on the verge of having a mental breakdown - this is torture!!!

On 3/4/2018 at 3:01 PM, socialwerqer said:

hey there. I can only speak for U of T because I didn't apply to the other schools. I found out my acceptance for U of T online (through ACORN) and I received an admission package in the mail. Good luck! 

Were you applying for the advanced standing program at U of T or the 2 year? When did you hear?

hi all! congrats to those who received acceptances today!! it’s legitimately life-changing news and a lot of hard work has led up to this moment. 

i was accepted into mcgill’s qualifying year this morning, too. it is my first choice, but i was also accepted into ubc-o’s two year msw program. now i have to make a tough decision because i am based in vancouver and don’t speak french, so moving across the country will be a major change. also, mcgill’s qualifying year does not guarantee admission into the second year.

... that being said, ive *always* wanted to go to mcgill. and im not rly concerned about getting into the second year because i know i will make it one way or another! 

tbh im just shocked and this all feels a bit unreal. im working a block of overnight shifts at the moment and haven’t been able to sleep all day :P im very excited, just can’t believe this is actually happening for me!

5 hours ago, kleigh17 said:

Just wanted to update everyone and let you know that Calgary is emailing 2 year acceptances! (I got mine an hour ago).

Very excited!

Congrats!! I don't know why, but I assumed that the advanced standing acceptances would go out before the two year program.

Ahhhh I'm worried now...

1 hour ago, heather.m said:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking this thread for quite a while now but never bothered to make an account and post anything until now.

I've been seeing posts about people receiving phone calls and/or admissions packages in the mail already, but for most of them I couldn't tell if they were for the 1 year advanced standing programs or 2 year programs. I only applied to the 2 year programs at York and U of T  (I'm now realizing how stupid I was for only applying to 2 schools... it's DEFINITELY increasing my anxiety to levels I never knew were humanly possible).

I have so many questions! So for those of you that have heard back already (whether it be for an acceptance or rejection):

• Were you applying for the 1 year advanced standing program or the 2 year program?
  • Did you receive an email concerning the change in your status? (I can't find anything online about whether or not an email goes out. I know that both schools will send something in the physical mail)
  • Did the online status of your application change from "no decision yet" (for York) or "under review" (for U of T)?

If you don't have answers to these specific questions but have information about timelines for admissions (from this year, I've already read through the info about people's experiences from previous years) PLEASE let me know. I'm on the verge of having a mental breakdown - this is torture!!!

Hey there,

First of all, let me mention that I am an international student so my process may be different from others. However, I will share my information as you might find it beneficial. 

1. I applied to the 1 year Advanced Standing program at UofT and I was offered admission to that very same 1 year program. 

2. No. I didn’t receive any phone call. 

3. No. I did not receive any email regarding my status changing on Acorn. I just happened to check it and saw that it said “Invited”. 

4. My online status now says “decision made”. This was after I received the official letter in the mail, as well as email. 

5. I did receive my package in the mail and it came in a big brown envelope. 

Hope this helps. 

3 hours ago, Aslwin said:

Congrats!! I don't know why, but I assumed that the advanced standing acceptances would go out before the two year program.

Ahhhh I'm worried now...

Right?! Omg I'm so anxious I could puke. Time to start obsessively checking my email!!!! A huge congratulations to those who got in!!!!!!! I really freaking hope to join you. 

Welcome, heather.m! Breathe easy – 2-year results for U of T and York have not yet been released, but are imminent :).

SWYorkie posted a page back that York 2-year offers should be out by the end of next week. Accepted 1-years seemed to be receiving phone calls as their primary contact from admissions.

U of T 2-year results are speculated to begin around March 23rd (based on last year's timeline and the fact that they were on the exact same schedule for this year's first round of advanced standing results), with the possibility of some early acceptances next week (again, speculation/wild hope based on prior years other than last year). The SGS site (where you currently see "Under review" for your U of T application) likely won't update until well after you've already received your package/letter in the mail, and even then all it will say is "Decision made", regardless of whether you've been accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.

Acceptances for U of T first show up on the student portal, ACORN (no email prompt, we just check it obsessively until something shows up ^_^). Check your email for instructions from SGS admissions on how to create a U of T JoinID, then use those credentials to log in here: http://www.acorn.utoronto.ca. If you have been accepted, you will see "Invited" in orange in the "Academics" section in the bottom left hand side of the main dashboard page that pops up after you log in (there's a screenshot of what it should look like in the last post of page 11 of this forum topic). Keep in mind that nothing will show up there if you have been waitlisted or rejected – these results are mailed, and generally don't come until all rounds of admissions are complete sometime in early- to mid-April. Also, on rare occasion, people have received acceptances in the mail without their ACORN updating first.

Good luck!!

7 hours ago, heather.m said:

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Clarification and typo

hi all,

long time lurker, first time poster. this was my first application cycle applying for msw programs, although i've been following grad cafe threads since i applied for my post-degree bsw in late 2013/early 2014. i was planning on just applying to one program, but decided that applying to two schools would be a safer route. both schools were chosen due to praxis, relative proximity, & professors. obviously there are other schools that fit the bill of having solid professors & critical programs -- but my partner does not have the ability to move & i wasn't too keen on doing long-distance. 

reasoning for programs selected:
to study at an institution with a critical framework, progressive professors & with the ability to write a major research paper/thesis. 

basic stats:
~7500+ hours working in the social service/work realm and/or in organizing.
two research assistant positions while completing a two-year post-degree bsw program.
~4.0/4.3 gpa in a two-year post-degree bsw program (just a hair under). 

programs applied to (advanced standing / one year programs):  
mcmaster msw-thesis: waitlisted (~early february, still waitlisted as of early march) via phone.
mcmaster msw-critical leadership: accepted (~mid february) via phone.
york msw: accepted (~early march) via phone. 

i'm about 99.9 p. sure that i'll be accepting/attending the offer from york. it's just the best fit for me & i honestly couldn't be more excited. i assume this means that there will be another spot opening up in the critical leadership program at mcmaster in the next couple of days.  

congratulations to everyone that has already been accepted & good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

Edited by nnova

I applied to the two-year clinical based MSW at Calgary and have no received any emails yet. Does anyone know if they send them out in stages or this is an indicator that I have no been accepted? If anyone can shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.. 

17 minutes ago, mitchae said:

I applied to the two-year clinical based MSW at Calgary and have no received any emails yet. Does anyone know if they send them out in stages or this is an indicator that I have no been accepted? If anyone can shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.. 

Honestly I would give them a call and ask if no one has the answer. The only thing I know is that they don't do rolling acceptances but that's not to say they entail everyone on the same day. 

5 minutes ago, Meemoo said:

Honestly I would give them a call and ask if no one has the answer. The only thing I know is that they don't do rolling acceptances but that's not to say they entail everyone on the same day. 

Thanks for the response - definitely going to give them a call this morning! 

Lurker too here, I decided to share here to spare my poor partner who shares my tiny living space!! They've watched me barely handle this anxiety of waaaaaiitttiinnngggggg. Oh my gaaaaaad it has totally hijacked my brain. Killin' me here....! So you see in December I thought I was soooo smart as I gave it my all in my applications and statements and was not aware of my huge huge mistake of not applying more broadly. I only applied to the 2 year MSW York and the 2 year MSW UofT.  You see I thought that because my anthro undergrad is from York that this means MSW grad school there is a huge possibility. My MA in an arts field from Carleton had only a tiny cohort of 5 so I imagined York's 20 is a biiggg number. I never thought waait a minute...how many actually applied to that MA arts I did at Carleton...not hundreds and hundreds like at York!!  Dumbo dumbo dumbo dumboo!.....And I have no idea whether having that MA from a few years ago will now hurt or helps this MSW application, I have no idea.. I realized I do need to chilll man so I'm telling myself (a) these freakin' hours and days  WILL move on lol! and (b) if I don't get in , it might mean I should consider the option of BSW's next year, I'm not sure, it's just because I have a masters already I didn't consider bsw. So question! Let's say I will hear back from them and get rejected from both, does anyone know if it is ever possible for a rejected applicant of MSW to get considered for BSW that same year since the department has all the documentation and reference letters? Is it possible to cover the BSW application fee now and be considered to that or do you have to wait a whoolllee other yearr...that would be a way better option for me than waiting another year. 

Ok well sending you all positive vibes and good luck to eeevveryone here... I'm sure you're all doing good work in this world whether it's inside or outside of social work programs, on whatever scale whether helping one person you know or trying to support groups, this world needs more hearts like yours so keep up your awesome work! Peace and good luck!!  :-) 

43 minutes ago, Mari* said:

Lurker too here, I decided to share here to spare my poor partner who shares my tiny living space!! They've watched me barely handle this anxiety of waaaaaiitttiinnngggggg. Oh my gaaaaaad it has totally hijacked my brain. Killin' me here....! So you see in December I thought I was soooo smart as I gave it my all in my applications and statements and was not aware of my huge huge mistake of not applying more broadly. I only applied to the 2 year MSW York and the 2 year MSW UofT.  You see I thought that because my anthro undergrad is from York that this means MSW grad school there is a huge possibility. My MA in an arts field from Carleton had only a tiny cohort of 5 so I imagined York's 20 is a biiggg number. I never thought waait a minute...how many actually applied to that MA arts I did at Carleton...not hundreds and hundreds like at York!!  Dumbo dumbo dumbo dumboo!.....And I have no idea whether having that MA from a few years ago will now hurt or helps this MSW application, I have no idea.. I realized I do need to chilll man so I'm telling myself (a) these freakin' hours and days  WILL move on lol! and (b) if I don't get in , it might mean I should consider the option of BSW's next year, I'm not sure, it's just because I have a masters already I didn't consider bsw. So question! Let's say I will hear back from them and get rejected from both, does anyone know if it is ever possible for a rejected applicant of MSW to get considered for BSW that same year since the department has all the documentation and reference letters? Is it possible to cover the BSW application fee now and be considered to that or do you have to wait a whoolllee other yearr...that would be a way better option for me than waiting another year. 

Ok well sending you all positive vibes and good luck to eeevveryone here... I'm sure you're all doing good work in this world whether it's inside or outside of social work programs, on whatever scale whether helping one person you know or trying to support groups, this world needs more hearts like yours so keep up your awesome work! Peace and good luck!!  :-) 

Hi there,

I only applied to the 2 year MSW program at Laurier as this was the only realistic option for me.  Don't beat yourself up for only applying to 2 programs.  At the end of the day, acceptance is only one factor when making this decision.  The choice has to be realistic to your personal life as well as meet your professional goals, hence my rationale for only applying to one.

As for the BSW programs, sadly I think that you may be too late.  I had a last minute epiphany/panic attack about the possibility of not getting accepted so I applied the the post-degreee BSW at McMaster just days before the deadline.  You could always call the faculty of the universities you are considering doing a BSW and inquire.  Never hurts to ask, right?! 

There is hope.  You may still be accepted to one of the programs to which you applied.  Also, Laurier has launched an on-line MSW program that takes 2.5 years to complete and offers rolling admissions.  Although you are too late to apply to the May start you could always apply for the September start if you are unsuccessful with your current applications. 

Don't give up hope.  It's only the second week of March and still early.  :)

I'm rooting for you!!!!

6 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

Hi there,

I only applied to the 2 year MSW program at Laurier as this was the only realistic option for me.  Don't beat yourself up for only applying to 2 programs.  At the end of the day, acceptance is only one factor when making this decision.  The choice has to be realistic to your personal life as well as meet your professional goals, hence my rationale for only applying to one.

As for the BSW programs, sadly I think that you may be too late.  I had a last minute epiphany/panic attack about the possibility of not getting accepted so I applied the the post-degreee BSW at McMaster just days before the deadline.  You could always call the faculty of the universities you are considering doing a BSW and inquire.  Never hurts to ask, right?! 

There is hope.  You may still be accepted to one of the programs to which you applied.  Also, Laurier has launched an on-line MSW program that takes 2.5 years to complete and offers rolling admissions.  Although you are too late to apply to the May start you could always apply for the September start if you are unsuccessful with your current applications. 

I'm rooting for you!!!!

Thank you for this info and positive vibes!! :) Good luck to you too, I hope you get in!!! :-)

3 hours ago, nnova said:

hi all,

long time lurker, first time poster. this was my first application cycle applying for msw programs, although i've been following grad cafe threads since i applied for my post-degree bsw in late 2013/early 2014. i was planning on just applying to one program, but decided that applying to two schools would be a safer route. both schools were chosen due to praxis, relative proximity, & professors. obviously there are other schools that fit the bill of having solid professors & critical programs -- but my partner does not have the ability to move & i wasn't too keen on doing long-distance. 

reasoning for programs selected:
to study at an institution with a critical framework, progressive professors & with the ability to write a major research paper/thesis. 

basic stats:
~7500+ hours working in the social service/work realm and/or in organizing.
two research assistant positions while completing a two-year post-degree bsw program.
~4.0/4.3 gpa in a two-year post-degree bsw program (just a hair under). 

programs applied to (advanced standing / one year programs):  
mcmaster msw-thesis: waitlisted (~early february, still waitlisted as of early march) via phone.
mcmaster msw-critical leadership: accepted (~mid february) via phone.
york msw: accepted (~early march) via phone. 

i'm about 99.9 p. sure that i'll be accepting/attending the offer from york. it's just the best fit for me & i honestly couldn't be more excited. i assume this means that there will be another spot opening up in the critical leadership program at mcmaster in the next couple of days.  

congratulations to everyone that has already been accepted & good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

congrats! I was also accepted into the msw critical leadership at McMaster. I will most likely be accepting the McMaster offer (if all goes well with funding) and will be declining my York offer for anyone still waiting for York. that will be in the next two weeks or so. good luck everyone!!

42 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

Hi there,

I'm rooting for you!!!!

Laurier isn't offering rolling admissions.  I applied there to start in May.  They initially stated they would do rolling admissions and changed their mind during the application process. 

34 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Laurier isn't offering rolling admissions.  I applied there to start in May.  They initially stated they would do rolling admissions and changed their mind during the application process. 

Ah, thanks so much for the updated info. :)

Good luck!!! 

3 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

Hi there,

I'm rooting for you!!!!

Hi there 

Just a heads up the online program at laurier stated they would offer rolling admissions but have not. I finished applying in december for the May entry and still no one has heard!

1 hour ago, danemom said:

Let me know what they say. I also applied to the 2 year and didn't receive an email yesterday :( 

Talked to someone at the Faculty of Social Work and she said it will take a few days to send out all the acceptances - but recommended that I email the faculty in case they have a more detailed response for me.  I'll keep you posted!  

24 minutes ago, mitchae said:

Talked to someone at the Faculty of Social Work and she said it will take a few days to send out all the acceptances - but recommended that I email the faculty in case they have a more detailed response for me.  I'll keep you posted!  

Did she happen to say if it was all MSW acceptances? or was she just referring to the 2 year program? I can't handle this suspense!