Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

21 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

I only applied to Laurier’s 2 year program so I completely understand how you must be feeling right now.  Based on what I have heard/read on this forum and previous years threads I don’t think we will hear anything until after the Easter weekend. I’m hoping that we will hear by the first week in April. From what I have read on this thread the on-line applicants for the May start program still haven’t heard anything.  I have read on here that a few people received emailed acceptances for the advanced standing program recently. That’s all I’ve got but know that you definitely aren’t alone in this excruciating waiting game. ?

Confirming this - nothing for the may 2018 start online yet?

Y'ALL 

Congratulations! On behalf of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, we are very pleased to offer you admission to the Master of Social Work Program at the University of Calgary. Attached to this e-mail is your official offer of admission. Please be aware that there may be conditions attached (this is stated on your admission letter). These must be satisfied before you will be able to register in the program. If you have any questions about these conditions or the program, please do not hesitate to contact us. Also please note that this electronic copy is the only notification you will receive

17 minutes ago, Meemoo said:

Y'ALL 

Congratulations! On behalf of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, we are very pleased to offer you admission to the Master of Social Work Program at the University of Calgary. Attached to this e-mail is your official offer of admission. Please be aware that there may be conditions attached (this is stated on your admission letter). These must be satisfied before you will be able to register in the program. If you have any questions about these conditions or the program, please do not hesitate to contact us. Also please note that this electronic copy is the only notification you will receive

Congratulations! Well deserved & exciting news! I'm still waiting to hear back from the MSW  - ICD program at UCalgary! 

52 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Confirming this - nothing for the may 2018 start online yet?

I absolutely feel for you.  This must be so difficult as before we know it, May will be here.  I hope that you hear something soon.  Have you contacted the admissions department to inquire about a timeline for acceptances?  I guess that the waiting and short turn around before the program will begin has been a true test of your strength, resilience and character during such a stressful time.  KUDOS to you for that!  Wishing you the best of outcomes.

46 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

I absolutely feel for you.  This must be so difficult as before we know it, May will be here.  I hope that you hear something soon.  Have you contacted the admissions department to inquire about a timeline for acceptances?  I guess that the waiting and short turn around before the program will begin has been a true test of your strength, resilience and character during such a stressful time.  KUDOS to you for that!  Wishing you the best of outcomes.

Hi , 

I contacted Laurier March 1st and they told me that I'd have to wait till the end of the month. I asked them why they were doing this with such short notice and they said that they got more applications than they expected to get. They're  sending out letters for may and also may be giving people that didn't make the may cut addmission for september. I got this info from Miljana , one of the admissions reps for the online program. 

Edited by rsingh

1 hour ago, SW Sevante said:

Thanks for your kind words :) they keep saying two more weeks ect ect its so frustrating 

1 hour ago, rsingh said:

Hi , 

I contacted Laurier March 1st and they told me that I'd have to wait till the end of the month. I asked them why they were doing this with such short notice and they said that they got more applications than they expected to get. They're  sending out letters for may and also may be giving people that didn't make the may cut addmission for september. I got this info from Miljana , one of the admissions reps for the online program. 

Oh wow thanks for the info

I was told two more weeks two weeks ago. Best of luck. Ill let you know either way:)

On 2018-03-11 at 6:14 PM, rendom5 said:

My status changed on Loris and I received an email entitled Offer of Admission. I got accepted into the Advanced Standing but I'm sure the process is the same for 2 year. 

Good Luck!

Where exactly does the status change on LORIS? I can only view my application and no where on the site can I see a status ?

42 minutes ago, Rach3600 said:

Where exactly does the status change on LORIS? I can only view my application and no where on the site can I see a status ?

A previous year's MSW thread said that all the application info disappears, and in it's place is a copy of your letter.  I'm still waiting to hear back from Laurier, so can't confirm this for certain.

14 hours ago, Meemoo said:

Y'ALL 

CONGRATS!! That’s so exciting! No more waiting for you :) 

Question- when did you receive the email and is your last name at the beginning of the alphabet? (I’m grasping at straws to remain hopeful lol)

3 hours ago, Aslwin said:

CONGRATS!! That’s so exciting! No more waiting for you :) 

Question- when did you receive the email and is your last name at the beginning of the alphabet? (I’m grasping at straws to remain hopeful lol)

I received the email Mar 12 at 3:22pm. My last name starts with a Ch! Fingers crossed!! 

7 hours ago, Rach3600 said:

I found LORIS really confusing.. But when I clicked on display admissions application, and then clicked on the MSW link I think before it went straight to my supplemental documentation, and then after I received my acceptance email when I opened the MSW page it had changed to the same congratulations blurb as in the email. I was so stressed about not seeing anything regarding an actual decision for the longest time! So don't panic about not seeing the status!

In the interest of completism and transparency...

Having thought about this over the past couple of days, I have to admit that my logic was skewed by my propensity to assume the worst and hope for the best ^_^. Certainly, not ALL enrolled students will apply for OGS (they may not know about it, make the deadline, meet the requirements to do so, etc.). So, I revise my numbers. Keeping in mind that, according to the Self-Study, "the average GPA of the admitted class for the two-year M.S.W. Program has been consistently in the A- range. The same is true for the Advanced Standing (full-time)", I'm going to assume (still conservatively and totally based on conjecture) that 50% of accepted 1-year students apply (48), 50% of accepted first year 2-year students apply (73), and 85% of attending second year 2-years students apply (123). This presumed substantial increase in second year 2-year applications is based on my assumption that far more students will have the required minimum A- average when taking into account their last 2 years of studies, as grading tends to be more generous at the graduate level and the students attending already have a demonstrated history of achieving high grades at the senior level; I think it's also safe to assume that many more students will know about the scholarship, how to apply, and have help with their applications now that they have attended a year of graduate school. Unfortunately, these new numbers don't make much of a difference. 48+73+123=244. 3 (presumed FIFSW quota of domestic student OGS awards)/244=a 1.23% chance of getting an award. Even if we halve these application numbers, 25%+25%+42.5%, we're still looking at a 2.46% chance of getting one (24+36+62=122; 3/122). So, yeah, still no breath-holding going on here :mellow:.

Unless someone out there has some hearteningly contradictory insider info on how many OGS applications the FIFSW gets and/or how many they award?

In other news: This last stretch of waiting on admissions results is KILLING ME.

On 2018-03-11 at 8:34 PM, cat_not_kitty said:

Thought I'd share what I'd found in terms of our chances, since the FIFSW has very little transparency around their OGS quotas (take this info with a healthy dose of salt, as it's all based on my own investigative work and conjecture). The only information I've been able to dig up on the number of awards granted is on page 38 of their 2014 Self-Study (http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/about-us/utqap-self-study-2014/), where they said that they awarded a mere four(!) external awards in 2013-14. This was down from an average of 17 over the 8 years prior (this massive shift downwards is likely due to the overhaul of OGS in 2013). This number could include CGS-M (for second year/advanced standing students pursuing a thesis...I've seen at least one get awarded in the past few years) and likely does include at least one international student OGS award (there's a quota between one to three international OGS awards allocated to each graduate unit, per the info on their "Financial Support" page, http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/current-students/financial-support/). Taken together, I'm assuming that a maximum of three OGS awards are awarded to all ~384 enrolled students (95 1-years + 145 first year 2-years + 145 second year 2-years – 1 international OGS recipient), meaning our chances of getting one are sitting at less than 1%. Please don't shoot the messenger ;)

Good luck!!

On 2018-03-11 at 4:32 PM, ciders_only said:

The application process has really taken years off my life. I don't know if my heart can take waiting beyond the 23rd of March to hear back from UofT. The only thing that helps to make time pass is swiping on Tinder (my first foray on there, which is making me like an unremarkable person :'S ).

Has anyone gotten a hold of Laurier in terms of when we can expect to hear back from them? I've mostly seen people disucssing York/UofT - regarding Ontario MSW programs.

Also does anyone know when we would hear back regarding OGS applications? My friend got rejected for OGS before getting accepted to her grad program (not an MSW btw).

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Typo

16 minutes ago, ms_teacher said:

I got mine on March 8 and my last name starts with L.

Were you admitted into the one year or two year program? Also, congrats!

On 3/12/2018 at 12:45 PM, Emactastic said:

Just chiming in to see if there is anyone else out there that applied to Kings (Western). I was waitlisted on Feb 20th. I just haven't heard/seen much about Kings on here. Mostly the schools in the GTA.

Hey!! 

I am wait listed for king's 1 year msw too!! I reached out to someone currently in the program. They said they got off the wait list in May and their friend got off the wait list late July. I currently know of about 5 people (individual in this form included) who are wait listed to Kings but I am sure there is more. I am under the understanding that Kings only takes 15 students. So I am super nervous about getting of the wait list. I also heard that they are not releasing where you are on the wait list or how many people are on the list. 

What an anxiety provoking time!

Hi everyone, 

First time to post here. I have applied for the UofT MSW (2-year). I only applied for UofT and I got nervous recently. If they follow last-year timeline, we still have to wait for 10 days...ah cannot bear it.

Some of my backgrounds: My GPA is around A- average in my last year of study and did not write the thesis but I have been a research assistant for around 100 hours when I was an undergraduate student. I graduated from university in 2017 and I have only around 900 hours of volunteer/working experiences at the time I submit the application. Personal Statement is not very strong I suppose- I talked about how I walked out my comfort zone in a volunteer service when they ask us to talk about the greatest achievement in life..ummm may not be what they want. My references should be quite good. 

Anyways, though I know my chance is quite slim but remain hopeful haha:) Good to have so many buddies here who are in the same boat with me!

16 minutes ago, lop36 said:

Hi everyone, 

First time to post here. I have applied for the UofT MSW (2-year). I only applied for UofT and I got nervous recently. If they follow last-year timeline, we still have to wait for 10 days...ah cannot bear it.

Some of my backgrounds: My GPA is around A- average in my last year of study and did not write the thesis but I have been a research assistant for around 100 hours when I was an undergraduate student. I graduated from university in 2017 and I have only around 900 hours of volunteer/working experiences at the time I submit the application. Personal Statement is not very strong I suppose- I talked about how I walked out my comfort zone in a volunteer service when they ask us to talk about the greatest achievement in life..ummm may not be what they want. My references should be quite good. 

Anyways, though I know my chance is quite slim but remain hopeful haha:) Good to have so many buddies here who are in the same boat with me!

Hey there! Your GPA is fantastic- mine is around the same; its an A- to an A (Ryerson's 4.33 scale kinda messed the calculation up);  You never know about the statement! I just found out that I had a little error in mine so I hope they discount it (e.g. wrote I worked with 9 individuals on a project when it was 7 and i wrote 7 on my cv lol). I'm happy you came out to talk! I really hope it works out for all of us