Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Take heart, heather.m...they literally give that answer to anyone who calls/emails ever, every year, even AFTER some results have been released or when results start getting released mere days later (if you click on my name and scroll back through my posts to February 23rd, you'll see some detailed [read: obsessive] reconnaissance I did about this practice, in response to this coming up earlier this season). It's very frustrating and often causes needless panic/anxiety. This, of course, could be the first year that this stock answer ends up actually being true (especially since they're now off-schedule from last year's timeline), but in the past it has meant that all results will be out by mid-April, with the first round of acceptances going out mid-to-late-March.

As for your intended stream (mine too, btw :)), I'm sure they clarified this when you called but just in case anyone reading this now or in later years becomes concerned, us 2-year applicants don't select our streams on our applications. Generally speaking, your intended second year stream shouldn't have any bearing on whether you're accepted for the 2-year program, though it definitely can indirectly, if you emphasise this in your Statement of Interest (as I did).

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Typos

1 hour ago, socialtwerker said:

This is SO disheartening, especially for a school like York that preaches social advocacy and AOP. It only takes a few bad professors to ruin it for everyone. My research is around the same area. When I got my rejection from a few schools,  I spoke to their grad offices about my frustrations but they wouldn't have any of it. So frustrating! <_<

1 hour ago, cat_not_kitty said:

I'm so sorry you're feeling disillusioned, Monoo :(. And really saddened and – quite frankly – shocked to hear that you felt some York SW faculty members were trans exclusionary...do you feel comfortable sharing a bit more detail about some of these experiences? Absolutely no worries, if not.

Thank you both!! This is really validating and makes me feel a lot better. 

I should stress that many of the professors at York are fantastic, and I've had a couple courses where trans topics were covered decently well. But, overall, there's a lot of trans erasure in the program. E.g. subtle ways like professors using language like "he or she," implying that those are the only genders. Or when gender oppression came up as a topic, it was almost always limited to cis women's oppression and never discussed other marginalized genders. Certain professors (again, mostly the tenured ones) refused to use students' pronouns after they were requested to. The administrative staff refused to provide the names of a student's professors to them in advance, which would have allowed for them to notify the professors before the first class of their chosen name and pronouns (since there is a long and onerous process at York to change one's name with the registrar).

The program just generally fails at informing social workers about anything related to trans people. Recently, in one of my 4th year course, a student did a trans 101 style presentation, and almost all of the other students were completely confused, not knowing very basic terminology like the difference between "sexual orientation" and "gender identity." This highlights how bad the trans erasure is within the department (BSW and MSW are mostly the same professors).

I have found the York SW department to have solid social justice values in most other ways, so for the most part I overlooked this issue (even though it affects me personally).

Thankfully I got into U of T and I am really excited and grateful for that. It mostly hurts because I obsessed about grades and overworked myself to get experience, in the hopes of going to York.

But I also know there are so so many amazing, worthy candidates who get rejected. It's such a brutal process.

Edited by Monoo
Got annoyed remembering more reasons, had to include them

4 hours ago, SWMommy said:

Hi everyone! First time poster here. I applied to 4 MSW programs last year and was sadly unsuccessful. This year I applied to Laurier and Western. I was rejected from Western a few weeks ago. 

Here is my question: This year I applied to both the full and part time MSW programs at Laurier. I just received an email this afternoon asking me which is my preferred choice (FT or PT). I am unsure if this is good or bad news. Has anyone else received this email? I have received acceptances to other graduate programs but Social Work has always been my dream.

Thank you in advance for your responses. Wishing you all the best during the process. You all seem like you will be wonderful Social Workers. 

Hi there,

I would hope that this would mean that you have been accepted to Laurier.  If not, that question would be a cruel joke.  What is your background if you don’t mind me asking? Experience/marks etc... Asking because I too applied to Laurier and the anticipation is wearing on me. ?

5 hours ago, SWMommy said:

Hi everyone! First time poster here. I applied to 4 MSW programs last year and was sadly unsuccessful. This year I applied to Laurier and Western. I was rejected from Western a few weeks ago. 

Here is my question: This year I applied to both the full and part time MSW programs at Laurier. I just received an email this afternoon asking me which is my preferred choice (FT or PT). I am unsure if this is good or bad news. Has anyone else received this email? I have received acceptances to other graduate programs but Social Work has always been my dream.

Thank you in advance for your responses. Wishing you all the best during the process. You all seem like you will be wonderful Social Workers. 

that is such a weird question! what did you say!? And I think it's great news! They are definitely taking your application seriously! there is hope for you to get into Laurier that is for sure.

5 hours ago, heather.m said:

I called about an hour ago to ask a question about my application (*will elaborate below in case anyone else had the same problem), and whoever I spoke to (didn't catch her name, but it wasn't Angela) said that they are still going through applications and that we wouldn't be hearing until mid-April... I'm honestly on the verge of having a full fledged mental breakdown at this point. This waiting is excruciating, and the fact that it just keeps getting pushed back further and further is almost too much to handle. 

*When I was filling out the 'Program of Study' section of the application, the drop down menu for "field of study/concentration(s)" would not allow me to click on it and select the stream which I was applying for. I added a note under "proposed field of study" indicating that I was applying for the Social Justice and Diversity stream, but I wanted to check that my application made it to the correct section for assessment. 

Thank you for sharing this information, heather.m!

They're still going through applications... :o I wonder how many applications they received this year.

I can't handle the suspense for another 3 weeks... :( 

But I still believe some admission offers have to be sent out before mid-April because many applicants have to make a decision about which admission offer they'll accept before mid-April. If U of T won't send out admission offers before mid-April, many applicants will have already accepted offers from other schools by the time they hear back from U of T. U of T shouldn't want to miss those applicants.

As cat_not_kitty also said, 2 year applicants don't have to select our streams (admissions office said it's okay to indicate our intended streams on our applications though), so I think our desired streams aren't important factors when they process our applications.

I think I'll just try to forget about my application and keep myself busy :wacko:

Hey everyone,

In my sleuthing for clues as to where they are at with admissions for U of C's 1 year clinical MSW, I came across a certificate program that would be a good fit for folks who are not accepted but still want to attend U of C (see below). It seems like they are changing their MSW program so that you may earn a certificate in one of the 3 MSW specializations, and that those classes could count towards an MSW if one successfully is accepted into their MSW program. I don't know if that makes sense, but the website explains it better than I can. I plan to apply if I am rejected from U of C.

https://fsw.ucalgary.ca/news/new-msw

6 hours ago, WhenToPanic said:

Hey everyone,

In my sleuthing for clues as to where they are at with admissions for U of C's 1 year clinical MSW, I came across a certificate program that would be a good fit for folks who are not accepted but still want to attend U of C (see below). It seems like they are changing their MSW program so that you may earn a certificate in one of the 3 MSW specializations, and that those classes could count towards an MSW if one successfully is accepted into their MSW program. I don't know if that makes sense, but the website explains it better than I can. I plan to apply if I am rejected from U of C.

Thank you for sharing this! If I don’t get in (which I’m sure at this point I haven’t) I am definitely going to sign up for the certificate for the fall. 

I was really hoping to hear back from U of T this week for the 2-year program. So disappointed, but hoping we start to hear something from them next week. 

For me it is an all or nothing decision because that is the only school I applied to. It was the only one that allows me to specialize in children and families in my second year. Wasn't too interested in the York curriculum as it seemed more comprehensive from what I researched, and I really want to focus on youth in particular. I really hope I get in, I feel like I am qualified but then again there are so many applicants! It is very intimidating. Hope to hear back soon so I know whether I'm going to school or whether I need to find a permanent job lol. Lets hope it is school! ?

13 hours ago, WhenToPanic said:

Hey everyone,

I hope I don't come off as harsh but if you're looking for clues as to where u of c is at with the 1 year clinical, I believe they have likely sent acceptances to the successful applicants because we have already picked out practicum choices. But I hope I'm wrong and maybe they just get going on those early and still waitlisted people or something. 

Wow...I'm absolutely appalled to hear this. Refusing to use preferred gender pronouns and failing to teach and model the very fundamentals of critical gender and sexuality theory?! I'd say if they're failing in that respect, they're failing in their so-called political and pedagogical commitment to social justice and critical praxis. I appreciate your caveat that many professors were excellent and that the department in general seemed to espouse solid political values otherwise (this reflects what I've heard about the program), but if they're practicing this type of overt trans exclusion/oppression, their version of justice is fundamentally deficient and corrupt. It's just totally, utterly inexcusable from where I'm standing and I'm heartbroken to hear this about a school that brands itself as specifically aligned with critical social work values and practice.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with this, and I'm happy that you managed to come out of the program feeling positive enough about it that you wanted to continue your studies there. Those other professors must have been truly fantastic to make up for what you've described.

Wonderful to hear that you got into U of T and will still be able to move forward with your MSW, even if not at your first choice institution. Am I right in assuming that you'll be in the Social Justice and Diversity stream?

19 hours ago, Monoo said:

Thank you both!! This is really validating and makes me feel a lot better. 

I should stress that many of the professors at York are fantastic, and I've had a couple courses where trans topics were covered decently well. But, overall, there's a lot of trans erasure in the program. E.g. subtle ways like professors using language like "he or she," implying that those are the only genders. Or when gender oppression came up as a topic, it was almost always limited to cis women's oppression and never discussed other marginalized genders. Certain professors (again, mostly the tenured ones) refused to use students' pronouns after they were requested to. The administrative staff refused to provide the names of a student's professors to them in advance, which would have allowed for them to notify the professors before the first class of their chosen name and pronouns (since there is a long and onerous process at York to change one's name with the registrar).

The program just generally fails at informing social workers about anything related to trans people. Recently, in one of my 4th year course, a student did a trans 101 style presentation, and almost all of the other students were completely confused, not knowing very basic terminology like the difference between "sexual orientation" and "gender identity." This highlights how bad the trans erasure is within the department (BSW and MSW are mostly the same professors).

I have found the York SW department to have solid social justice values in most other ways, so for the most part I overlooked this issue (even though it affects me personally).

Thankfully I got into U of T and I am really excited and grateful for that. It mostly hurts because I obsessed about grades and overworked myself to get experience, in the hopes of going to York.

But I also know there are so so many amazing, worthy candidates who get rejected. It's such a brutal process.

I hear you, Erin32796! I'm in the exact same boat: was desperately hoping/willing that we'd see at least some acceptances roll out by the end of this week; only applied to the one school; feel like I'm qualified but also conscious of how many absolutely incredible candidates apply; and need to figure out sooner than later whether I need to find a new job, as my contract ends this month.

Let's hope next week is the week!

4 hours ago, Erin32796 said:

I was really hoping to hear back from U of T this week for the 2-year program. So disappointed, but hoping we start to hear something from them next week. 

For me it is an all or nothing decision because that is the only school I applied to. It was the only one that allows me to specialize in children and families in my second year. Wasn't too interested in the York curriculum as it seemed more comprehensive from what I researched, and I really want to focus on youth in particular. I really hope I get in, I feel like I am qualified but then again there are so many applicants! It is very intimidating. Hope to hear back soon so I know whether I'm going to school or whether I need to find a permanent job lol. Lets hope it is school! ?

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Typo and clarity via punctuation.

2 hours ago, cat_not_kitty said:

I hear you, Erin32796! I'm in the exact same boat: was desperately hoping/willing that we'd see at least some acceptances roll out by the end of this week; only applied to the one school; feel like I'm qualified but also conscious of how many absolutely incredible candidates apply; and need to figure out sooner than later whether I need to find a new job, as my contract ends this month.

Let's hope next week is the week!

Lets hope we both get in! Then we can be study buddies lol.

Do we have a count on which schools have released their acceptances for 1 year MSW?

Acceptances sent out: Laurier, Western/King's, Waterloo/Renison,

No word from: York

Where are the other schools on this?

27 minutes ago, 242penguin said:

Do we have a count on which schools have released their acceptances for 1 year MSW?

Acceptances sent out: Laurier, Western/King's, Waterloo/Renison,

No word from: York

Where are the other schools on this?

York's 1 year MSW acceptances went out two weeks ago via phone calls. The admissions assistant confirmed that anyone who hadn't gotten a phone call is waitlisted or not accepted. 

5 minutes ago, hannahdaviidson said:

York's 1 year MSW acceptances went out two weeks ago via phone calls. The admissions assistant confirmed that anyone who hadn't gotten a phone call is waitlisted or not accepted. 

Thank you I didn't realize that they did not call wait listed individuals!  

On 3/23/2018 at 9:52 PM, SW Sevante said:

Hi there,

I would hope that this would mean that you have been accepted to Laurier.  If not, that question would be a cruel joke.  What is your background if you don’t mind me asking? Experience/marks etc... Asking because I too applied to Laurier and the anticipation is wearing on me. ?

Thanks for your response! I agree, it would be a cruel joke lol. I hope that you are right! I received my undergrad from Western in 2011 and then followed up with an SSW diploma. I was employed as a social service worker from 2012-2016. Worked on a First Nations reserve, a custody facility for female youth, and a group home. I dont have THAT many hours of experience though because I had two kids during that time so was at home as well :).  I decided to go back to school and upgrade my undergraduate marks to try and get into an MSW program. My Western marks weren't terrible but not good enough. I think my average was about 74%. I have completed 9 courses at Laurier and my average is now at 93%. What about you (grades/experience)? I am sending you good vibes!! Having gone through this process twice I totally understand how hard the anticipation can be. Constantly refreshing my email haha. 

1 hour ago, SWMommy said:

Thanks for your response! I agree, it would be a cruel joke lol. I hope that you are right! I received my undergrad from Western in 2011 and then followed up with an SSW diploma. I was employed as a social service worker from 2012-2016. Worked on a First Nations reserve, a custody facility for female youth, and a group home. I dont have THAT many hours of experience though because I had two kids during that time so was at home as well :).  I decided to go back to school and upgrade my undergraduate marks to try and get into an MSW program. My Western marks weren't terrible but not good enough. I think my average was about 74%. I have completed 9 courses at Laurier and my average is now at 93%. What about you (grades/experience)? I am sending you good vibes!! Having gone through this process twice I totally understand how hard the anticipation can be. Constantly refreshing my email haha. 

Wow, you definitely have some incredible experience and your marks are great.  I am very worried about my undergrad marks.  I only have a B/B+ average.  I did my undergrad at U of Windsor and also went to Conestoga and completed a diploma afterward (3.98 GPA). 

I feel like my academics are going to be the deciding factor for me.  I'm hoping that my 10 000 hours of experience are seen as an advantage and outweigh my marks.  It's so hard to know exactly what they are looking for...although I have heard from other professionals in the field that Laurier really likes well-rounded candidates that have related experience, unlike some universities that focus mainly on academics. 

I worked in Corrections with federally incarcerated men and women across Canada in a number of roles for 5 years.  I also have done work with at-risk youth, within a addictions recovery house and I currently facilitate a peer support group for working professionals who have experienced an occupational stress injury or have been diagnosed with PTSD.  I currently work in Mental Health as a Peer Supporter and run a Mood Disorders Support group but sadly, this experience is not on my application as I started the job after the application due date.

I don't know about you but I have been obsessing over my personal statement lately.  I have lived experience but I chose not to touch on it in my personal statement.  I don't want to be selected based on that, as I do feel that there is a fine line between lived experience that is beneficial to the field of social work and that which can be detrimental to clients and can lead to early burnout.  It took me a long time to be ready to apply to this program and I finally feel like I am ready, hopefully Laurier thinks I am as well.  :)

I guess I have to "let it be" and hope that I conveyed my ability and strengths effectively enough in the personal statement that it will overshadow my ho-hum academic average. 

A few years ago I applied to the on-line BSW programs at U of Victoria and Dalhousie and was accepted to both but I was not ready mentally to pursue this line of work at the time so I declined both offers. 

This whole process is so anxiety provoking and every day that goes by I question my application more and more. Like, in my personal statement I should have said "this" instead of "that"... UGH.

I wish you all the best, although I am fairly certain that you have been accepted.  Which program have you decided to pursue?  Full-time or on-line?  Also, you mentioned that you have applied twice before, did you only apply to Laurier or elsewhere?  Did they provide you with feedback in order to strengthen your application in the future?

I'm trying to remain positive so that I don't send the karma gods bad vibes but I am also preparing for what not getting accepted might look like for me mentally.  It's such a difficult process.

I once again wish all of you who are still awaiting a response nothing but the best of luck!!!!!

Always remember, you are not alone!  :)

Edited by SW Sevante

1 hour ago, skd05 said:

Good luck to everyone who is anticipating a decision today and fingers crossed for us laurier folks!!

Are we supposed to hear back today?! Ahh I’m getting nervous. Where did you hear that we’re supposed to hear back today! Can you sense my excitement?! 

10 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

Are we supposed to hear back today?! Ahh I’m getting nervous. Where did you hear that we’re supposed to hear back today! Can you sense my excitement?! 

Applicants accepted to York will be hearing back today via telephone between 9 and 430pm!

19 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

Not for laurier... thats a gamble.  I just read alot about York!

8 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Not for laurier... thats a gamble.  I just read alot about York!

Oh okay :( I’ve only applied to Laurier so I’m just twiddling my thumbs while I wait for responses! I’m a mess, right now. 

7 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

Oh okay :( I’ve only applied to Laurier so I’m just twiddling my thumbs while I wait for responses! I’m a mess, right now. 

Same... for the online stream which starts in may....still havnt heard.