Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

1 hour ago, SWMommy said:

Thank you!! Wishing you luck as well! I can relate to this so much. You’re right that it is definitely important to remain positive. The anxiety is horrible. Last year I applied to U it T, York, Western, and Laurier. The only one that gave me feedback with my rejection was U of T. They said that I did not have enough 3rd and 4th year classes so I took more this past year. Didn’t apply there this year though. Only Western and Laurier. Western rejected me at the end of Feb saying that I didn’t not score high enough on the experience/references/letter of intent portion of my application. Bit of a bummer but I live pretty far from London so it would have been a stretch. I would have made the commute though! Haha. 

Honestly your marks and experience sound like you’re a shoe-in! Your experience is really impressive and I believe a high B is all you need for Laurier!! Did you apply anywhere else?? I have also re-read all of my statements anxiously. I think it’s normal to second guess yourself. Just try and be confident in what you wrote which is easier said than done. I also didn’t include anything too personal in mine. 

I have actually only applied once before. This is my second time. I was a little less anxious this time around because I was accepted to another Masters program in early Feb so I have a plan in place unlike last year. I totally get what you’re saying about not being able to picture a rejection mentally. It was tough last year but I got through and it made me work even harder to improve myself this time around. You build it up so much in your head though! And it was hard to tell everyone in my life who knew I was applying that I was rejected. But everyone understood and it was fine in the end...it is such a competitive program I think it takes a lot of people more than one try. I do have a feeling you will get in though!! Hang in there ?

Thanks so much for your support and words of encouragement.  It really means a lot to me to hear positive affirmations from someone other than friends and family.  I am hoping that Laurier sees my experience as an asset to the program. I only applied to do my Masters at Laurier for a number of reasons.  One, being location as I have 2 children so commuting any more than an hour each way every day was just not realistic.  I also only really had the qualifications and met the required criteria to apply to Laurier's program.  Ironically, my original plan was to do my BSW but a Social Worker told me about Laurier's program and encouraged me to apply.  I didn't even think that an MSW was a realistic option for me at the time.  I did apply to a post-degree BSW program at McMaster as a back-up plan. I just wrote the Social Work Admissions Test for that 2 weeks ago and it was HARD.  I'm not feeling very confident about that test which is also contributing to my anxiety.  I am happy to hear that you have a back-up plan this time around.  I have one as well but I'm hoping that I won't have to utilize it because I truly feel that the MSW program at Laurier is what I need to do and where my passion is.  I wish you all the best and hopefully we can meet in person in the fall.  :)

Speaking of scholarships, honestly I did not really think to look about applying before knowing whether I was accepted, but does U of T automatically give you an entrance scholarship depending on your GPA?

3 minutes ago, acciojenna said:

congrats!! is that your first choice?

Carleton was actually my first choice but I got waitlisted there back in February. I'm not sure when I'll find out if I've made it off since they're on strike and it doesn't look like it's ending soon but I am ecstatic about getting anywhere! It's my dream

There are a bunch of $4000 entrance scholarships based on GPA that they announce when acceptances go out (detailed in the package you receive in the mail). There also seems to be one $10K Scholarship, the Charles Grimaldi Award, that’s an entrance scholarship based solely on merit. Once you’re accepted, there are a bunch of other funding opportunities that you can apply for via an internal system that they open up in October. 

8 minutes ago, Erin32796 said:

Speaking of scholarships, honestly I did not really think to look about applying before knowing whether I was accepted, but does U of T automatically give you an entrance scholarship depending on your GPA?

7 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

There are a bunch of $4000 entrance scholarships based on GPA that they announce when acceptances go out (detailed in the package you receive in the mail). There also seems to be one $10K Scholarship, the Charles Grimaldi Award, that’s an entrance scholarship based solely on merit. Once you’re accepted, there are a bunch of other funding opportunities that you can apply for via an internal system that they open up in October. 

Oh okay great! Hopefully we hear back ASAP!!!!!

4 minutes ago, lydia616 said:

Congrats!! Did your status change on Myfile yet?

Thank you! Status on MyFile has not changed yet. Still "No Decision Yet". Ammad said that it would take a few days to change but that I would receive an email first telling me to check it,. 

Edited by smntoronto

4 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Nope, not yet. Ammad said that it would take a few days to change but that I would receive an email first telling me to check it,. 

Just after I sent that I got the call!!! Same funding and scholarship as you. Super excited!!! Hands are shaking!

I would like to thank everyone on this chatroom for being incredible people. I see how supportive you are to each other. Amazing. I'm still waiting on hearing from Laurier 2 year program. On the chance that I don't get in does anyone know any MSW programs outside of Ontario that may have lower standards/ competition than the schools in Ontario? I feel like I'm willing to travel if it means I can get this MSW thing. 

5 minutes ago, Snellbell said:

Still no call yet. 1.5 hours to go...

My stomach is in knots :wacko: my last name is also near the very end of the alphabet so who knows if that effects it

& congrats @lydia616 and @smntoronto!! So happy for both of you :)

Edited by lastsupper

7 minutes ago, UnknownUser said:

I would like to thank everyone on this chatroom for being incredible people. I see how supportive you are to each other. Amazing. I'm still waiting on hearing from Laurier 2 year program. On the chance that I don't get in does anyone know any MSW programs outside of Ontario that may have lower standards/ competition than the schools in Ontario? I feel like I'm willing to travel if it means I can get this MSW thing. 

I have applied to the University of Buffalo- It is outside of Canada, but depending where you are in Ontario it is possible to live in Canada and commute and classes are only two days a week. There admission deadline is March 15th (they may be willing to extend, depending). The tuition is a bit pricey because of international studies, but it is definitely something to look into!