Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Has anyone else here applied to Windsor's MSW for Working Professionals? 

I'm just being curious - I'm not expecting a reply from them for a few weeks yet based on how long they said it'd take to process applications.

8 minutes ago, Sooyeah said:

So I just got rejected from Uwindsor MSW 2year if anyone else applied there. So take no news as good news I guess lol.

So sorry to hear that.  How did they let you know?  Did you get an email or did something change on your online account?

(I've applied to their working professionals program, and my application is "in process".)

8 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

So sorry to hear that.  How did they let you know?  Did you get an email or did something change on your online account?

(I've applied to their working professionals program, and my application is "in process".)

13 minutes ago, Sooyeah said:

So I just got rejected from Uwindsor MSW 2year if anyone else applied there. So take no news as good news I guess lol.

Mine is also "in process" and I applied to the 2 year program in case there are any other Windsor applicant's on this thread. 

On 2018-03-23 at 10:33 PM, SammySam said:

that is such a weird question! what did you say!? And I think it's great news! They are definitely taking your application seriously! there is hope for you to get into Laurier that is for sure.

I hope you’re right!! That is my gut feeling but don’t want to get my hopes up haha. I said I would prefer the FT program but would be honoured to attend either ?

8 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

I hope you’re right!! That is my gut feeling but don’t want to get my hopes up haha. I said I would prefer the FT program but would be honoured to attend either ?

I agree. It sounds like you had a strong application and are considering you for both so want to rank your preference. I am hopeful for you :)

13 minutes ago, skd05 said:

I agree. It sounds like you had a strong application and are considering you for both so want to rank your preference. I am hopeful for you :)

Thank you! Where did you apply? Wishing you all the best as well ?

17 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

Wow, you definitely have some incredible experience and your marks are great.  I am very worried about my undergrad marks.  I only have a B/B+ average.  I did my undergrad at U of Windsor and also went to Conestoga and completed a diploma afterward (3.98 GPA). 

I feel like my academics are going to be the deciding factor for me.  I'm hoping that my 10 000 hours of experience are seen as an advantage and outweigh my marks.  It's so hard to know exactly what they are looking for...although I have heard from other professionals in the field that Laurier really likes well-rounded candidates that have related experience, unlike some universities that focus mainly on academics. 

I worked in Corrections with federally incarcerated men and women across Canada in a number of roles for 5 years.  I also have done work with at-risk youth, within a addictions recovery house and I currently facilitate a peer support group for working professionals who have experienced an occupational stress injury or have been diagnosed with PTSD.  I currently work in Mental Health as a Peer Supporter and run a Mood Disorders Support group but sadly, this experience is not on my application as I started the job after the application due date.

I don't know about you but I have been obsessing over my personal statement lately.  I have lived experience but I chose not to touch on it in my personal statement.  I don't want to be selected based on that, as I do feel that there is a fine line between lived experience that is beneficial to the field of social work and that which can be detrimental to clients and can lead to early burnout.  It took me a long time to be ready to apply to this program and I finally feel like I am ready, hopefully Laurier thinks I am as well.  :)

I guess I have to "let it be" and hope that I conveyed my ability and strengths effectively enough in the personal statement that it will overshadow my ho-hum academic average. 

A few years ago I applied to the on-line BSW programs at U of Victoria and Dalhousie and was accepted to both but I was not ready mentally to pursue this line of work at the time so I declined both offers. 

This whole process is so anxiety provoking and every day that goes by I question my application more and more. Like, in my personal statement I should have said "this" instead of "that"... UGH.

I wish you all the best, although I am fairly certain that you have been accepted.  Which program have you decided to pursue?  Full-time or on-line?  Also, you mentioned that you have applied twice before, did you only apply to Laurier or elsewhere?  Did they provide you with feedback in order to strengthen your application in the future?

I'm trying to remain positive so that I don't send the karma gods bad vibes but I am also preparing for what not getting accepted might look like for me mentally.  It's such a difficult process.

I once again wish all of you who are still awaiting a response nothing but the best of luck!!!!!

Always remember, you are not alone!  :)

Thank you!! Wishing you luck as well! I can relate to this so much. You’re right that it is definitely important to remain positive. The anxiety is horrible. Last year I applied to U it T, York, Western, and Laurier. The only one that gave me feedback with my rejection was U of T. They said that I did not have enough 3rd and 4th year classes so I took more this past year. Didn’t apply there this year though. Only Western and Laurier. Western rejected me at the end of Feb saying that I didn’t not score high enough on the experience/references/letter of intent portion of my application. Bit of a bummer but I live pretty far from London so it would have been a stretch. I would have made the commute though! Haha. 

Honestly your marks and experience sound like you’re a shoe-in! Your experience is really impressive and I believe a high B is all you need for Laurier!! Did you apply anywhere else?? I have also re-read all of my statements anxiously. I think it’s normal to second guess yourself. Just try and be confident in what you wrote which is easier said than done. I also didn’t include anything too personal in mine. 

I have actually only applied once before. This is my second time. I was a little less anxious this time around because I was accepted to another Masters program in early Feb so I have a plan in place unlike last year. I totally get what you’re saying about not being able to picture a rejection mentally. It was tough last year but I got through and it made me work even harder to improve myself this time around. You build it up so much in your head though! And it was hard to tell everyone in my life who knew I was applying that I was rejected. But everyone understood and it was fine in the end...it is such a competitive program I think it takes a lot of people more than one try. I do have a feeling you will get in though!! Hang in there ?

13 minutes ago, northoftheborder said:

Anyone receive calls yet? It’s past noon now (Toronto time). I wonder if the calls be delayed again.

None yet on my end. If it gets to 4:00pm and I don't hear anything I'll try calling the graduate assistant.

Wow — just ONE. MORE. HOUR. until answers finally start coming in for you Yorkies!! So excited for you and SO hope all of you get the acceptances you deserve!

(Yes, my butt cheeks are vicariously clenched ;).)

Edited by cat_not_kitty

2 hours ago, whatdidigetinto said:

I got an email saying I was rejected and my egas status was updated to not admitted

I feel you, lop36. When we didn’t hear by the 23rd, I planned to just give up until April...but my efforts to “act cool” about it aren’t even convincing me.

2 hours ago, lop36 said:

I just feel like I cannot wait 3 more weeks for U of T. Hope the result comes out this week though I feel like the chance is not high 

Corrected to yaaaaaaay!!! Got so excited for you that I lost all sense of logic.

6 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

I just got the call from York! They've started early!!!

Edited by cat_not_kitty