Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

24 minutes ago, ctbsw said:

Any UofT applicants having issues logging into ACORN? Every time I log in it states "this student number is invalid or disabled." Not sure what this means.

Are you using your applicant number to try and log in or your JoinID? I made the mistake of trying to use my applicant number at first.

5 minutes ago, UofTMSWApplicant said:

Are you using your applicant number to try and log in or your JoinID? I made the mistake of trying to use my applicant number at first.

Unfortunately I've tried both! Used my JOINid and then tried my applicant number, then tried the student number, everything isn't letting me in. I emailed SGS Admissions, hopefully it's a glitch of some sort.

4 hours ago, caffinefuelled said:

It's an epidemic at UBC in general - regardless of the department (google Stephen Galloway, . It is well documented that the School of Social Work particularly is a site of continual violence- especially in regards to sexual assault (I WISH I was kidding). If you'd like, I can put you in touch with advanced MSW students. UBC's social work reputation is that it engages in rigorous research and has a strong clinical program- and sadly, the school (because of the incompetent internal administration) cannot retain qualified professors and there is very little funding afforded to students and professors to engage in research. I would strongly suggest UVic's Advanced MSW in the future- I had colleagues and friends who did the program, and heard nothing but great things! Especially if your frameworks to practice lean anywhere towards anti-oppression/decolonization. I was accepted to their BSW program and turned it down in favour of UBC, because I enjoy classroom discussions. However, the level of violence that occurs in the classroom at the hands of professors ruined my love for classroom learning and was incredibly traumatic. If you are based in the Lower Mainland (sounds like you are), UVic students who do the program online meet regularly to do readings, projects, etc. together and are generally very supportive of one another. Also any review of the BSW or 2 year MSW program would be beneficial as all the professors are the same. I wish you the best of luck! 

I've heard good things about UVIC as well. I was hesitant about an online program for such a practical degree. I am in the lower mainland (Vancouver) and hope to stay in the city and build contacts here. I am hoping to do a more clinical focused degree. I'll see what happens with this application and if I am not accepted this year (probably won't be), I will definitely consider UVIC for next year.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, ihatewaiting_ said:

Just got my acceptance from 1 year program at Carleton! Good Luck to everyone else. 

Wow - congrats!! Did you get an email or see it on carleton central? Or both??

I’m trying not to lose hope here but I’m now pretty convinced I’ve been waitlisted. Fuuuuuuck. 

35 minutes ago, magfish said:

Wow - congrats!! Did you get an email or see it on carleton central? Or both??

I’m trying not to lose hope here but I’m now pretty convinced I’ve been waitlisted. Fuuuuuuck. 

I got an email but it is also up on carleton central, the same place that you submitted the application too. My email came in at 850 this morning.  

Also, I noticed you did your BSW at STU, I did my BA there:)

1 hour ago, ms_teacher said:

Has anyone applied to the UNBC 2-year MSW? I haven't been able to find ANY information about when they send out decisions. Anyone have an idea?

I did my BSW at UNBC and a few people went right on to their MSW. I think most of them heard by end of February/beginning of March.

EDIT: This was not the MSW foundation but the advanced MSW.

Edited by Meiks

Hi everyone, best of luck on your applications! My first choice is Laurier’s advanced standing program. I complete my SSW diploma in college(4.00 gpa) before my BSW. My gpa is 11.25 out of 12.00 and I have approximately 4800 hours of experience (excluding my BSW placement hours). I’m interested to hear if anyone is in a similar situation and if this would be considered competitive. Also feeling anxious re: waiting to hear back. Thanks in advance!

11 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

For any TWO YEAR applicants to Carleton University, does your status currently say "review in progress by department"? If not, what does it say? 

Mine still says review in progress! Is no news good news? Who knows ?

23 hours ago, Socialhopeful said:

So just got my rejection letter for the 2 year at Carleton. I wish everyone else good luck!!!

So sorry to hear that socialhopeful!! I hope you hear better news from other schools in then next few weeks.

22 hours ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I also got my rejection letter for Carleton :(. Sigh. Makes me feel hopeless for my other applications. Anyone know of anyone that’s been rejected at Carleton but admitted elsewhere? 

So sorry to hear that, @Aspiringmsw2320! But - here's the thing. Every program has a different set of standards for applicants. No two selection committees are ever going to judge things the same. And every selection committee has to base things off the pool of applicants they received. So - maybe you weren't the right fit for Carleton this year, but, every school is going to be different. There is no real "formula" to this, as much as they all want us to think there is. A candidate might fail one year and apply with the exact same application and be first or second choice the year after. So much of it is timing and honestly a lot of it feels like a lil bit of luck too. Not getting into one school has honestly no impact on your applications for others, so I think you should try and find at least a LITTLE hope left in there. <3 If you want to talk about rejection and just the feelings associated with it all I am here if you need someone.

2 hours ago, ihatewaiting_ said:

I got an email but it is also up on carleton central, the same place that you submitted the application too. My email came in at 850 this morning.  

Also, I noticed you did your BSW at STU, I did my BA there:)

Haha okay. I'm in a different time zone completely (currently living in BC). I don't know if they send all the emails at once, or honestly anything about how this all works. So my heart is dropping quite a bit but I am trying trying to be at least not super upset until I know more.

Cool!! STU was certainly an experience. I have to say I wasn't the biggest fan of New Brunswick or a lot of things about the school (and even the program, honestly), but I will also admit that I think I got some opportunities there that I never would have had elsewhere. And I still maintain that it was better than suffering through Thunder Bay. ;) (no offence to anyone who went to lakehead!!! I have heard good things!! I just hate winter! not that new brunswick was better!!)

2 hours ago, smntoronto said:

For any TWO YEAR applicants to Carleton University, does your status currently say "review in progress by department"? If not, what does it say? 

I know you've stressed two years but Carleton is one of the only schools that does a lot of the one year and two year stuff pretty much together. So, I don't really know if it helps but my one year application also says "review in progress by department". The only alternate status I have seen in this thread is ihatewaiting_ who had theirs change to "review in process by grad committee" and were then accepted the next day. I am still holding out hope that no news is good news - they sent both one year and two year rejection emails out yesterday so if you didn't get one of those there is still hope. I think. :) Good luck!

Edited by magfish

2 hours ago, MSW CU said:

Congrats!!!!

Did your application status change to Recommended for Assessment at some point?

Thank you, it was the only one I applied to so I am very happy. It went from the message once I sent in my application (can't remember what it said) to Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs, then the next day was an acceptance. 

52 minutes ago, magfish said:

So sorry to hear that socialhopeful!! I hope you hear better news from other schools in then next few weeks.

So sorry to hear that, @Aspiringmsw2320! But - here's the thing. Every program has a different set of standards for applicants. No two selection committees are ever going to judge things the same. And every selection committee has to base things off the pool of applicants they received. So - maybe you weren't the right fit for Carleton this year, but, every school is going to be different. There is no real "formula" to this, as much as they all want us to think there is. A candidate might fail one year and apply with the exact same application and be first or second choice the year after. So much of it is timing and honestly a lot of it feels like a lil bit of luck too. Not getting into one school has honestly no impact on your applications for others, so I think you should try and find at least a LITTLE hope left in there. <3 If you want to talk about rejection and just the feelings associated with it all I am here if you need someone.

Haha okay. I'm in a different time zone completely (currently living in BC). I don't know if they send all the emails at once, or honestly anything about how this all works. So my heart is dropping quite a bit but I am trying trying to be at least not super upset until I know more.

Cool!! STU was certainly an experience. I have to say I wasn't the biggest fan of New Brunswick or a lot of things about the school (and even the program, honestly), but I will also admit that I think I got some opportunities there that I never would have had elsewhere. And I still maintain that it was better than suffering through Thunder Bay. ;) (no offence to anyone who went to lakehead!!! I have heard good things!! I just hate winter! not that new brunswick was better!!)

I know you've stressed two years but Carleton is one of the only schools that does a lot of the one year and two year stuff pretty much together. So, I don't really know if it helps but my one year application also says "review in progress by department". The only alternate status I have seen in this thread is ihatewaiting_ who had theirs change to "review in process by grad committee" and were then accepted the next day. I am still holding out hope that no news is good news - they sent both one year and two year rejection emails out yesterday so if you didn't get one of those there is still hope. I think. :) Good luck!

Awe thank-you. That means a lot and does restore some hope for me. Carleton was also the first application that I did and I feel that my statement of intent improved each time. Plus maybe other schools are more holistic in assessing their applications. Western’s seems to be veryyyy holistic. 

42 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Awe thank-you. That means a lot and does restore some hope for me. Carleton was also the first application that I did and I feel that my statement of intent improved each time. Plus maybe other schools are more holistic in assessing their applications. Western’s seems to be veryyyy holistic. 

Oh for sure!!! It’s such a tricky little piece of writing and experience can only help. Plus don’t forget Carleton only takes 20 students!! Other schools take way more (u of t’s two year program is closer to 140, I think!) and that helps with things too. like, getting rejected doesn’t mean your application was BAD. I think we ALL forget how competitive some of these programs can be, and if nothing else the experience of applying can only help improve your applications more. :) where else did you apply?? I’m still waiting to hear from york as well. Ahhh why can’t this month be over!

3 minutes ago, magfish said:

Oh for sure!!! It’s such a tricky little piece of writing and experience can only help. Plus don’t forget Carleton only takes 20 students!! Other schools take way more (u of t’s two year program is closer to 140, I think!) and that helps with things too. like, getting rejected doesn’t mean your application was BAD. I think we ALL forget how competitive some of these programs can be, and if nothing else the experience of applying can only help improve your applications more. :) where else did you apply?? I’m still waiting to hear from york as well. Ahhh why can’t this month be over!

I kind of wish I applied to U of T for that reason. I applied to York, Laurier, Windsor, Western, and Lakehead (backup). Western decIsions are supposed to be out by the beginning of March. Western also only admits like 15 people for 1-year and 2-year.  Do you know how applicants Laurier and York typically admit?

10 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I kind of wish I applied to U of T for that reason. I applied to York, Laurier, Windsor, Western, and Lakehead (backup). Western decIsions are supposed to be out by the beginning of March. Western also only admits like 15 people for 1-year and 2-year.  Do you know how applicants Laurier and York typically admit?

York admits 20-25 for both advanced standing and regular track I believe. 

34 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

York admits 20-25 for both advanced standing and regular track I believe. 

I thought it was closer to 80 for the advanced standing? I forgot where I read that, but I know it was more for advanced and 20-30 for regular (with over 300 applicants for regular stream too).

2 hours ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Not totally sure, but I also heard UofT accepts 140 students *but* thats across 6 specializations! I doubt the acceptances are evenly divided, cause I've also heard the Mental Health and Health specialization is the largest (which is the one I applied to...for the 2 year...ugh). but here's hoping!!! UofT also has more applicants than most schools, so it tends to even out in terms of acceptance rate%. It's all so competitive! so don't feel too bad for not applying to UofT this year, but definitely try next cycle!!

32 minutes ago, MSDOUBLEU said:

Not totally sure, but I also heard UofT accepts 140 students *but* thats across 6 specializations! I doubt the acceptances are evenly divided, cause I've also heard the Mental Health and Health specialization is the largest (which is the one I applied to...for the 2 year...ugh). but here's hoping!!! UofT also has more applicants than most schools, so it tends to even out in terms of acceptance rate%. It's all so competitive! so don't feel too bad for not applying to UofT this year, but definitely try next cycle!!

Hey :) - I can speak to this since I'm currently in the two year program at U of T. They accept 140 students for the 2 year program and don't take the specialization into account. You don't actually choose your specialization until the end of first year. So if you wrote mental health and health on your application and decide throughout the program that you want to do gerontology, you totally could! Nothing is set in stone until you're midway through your practicum second semester. Hope this helps!

Edited by canadianmsw