Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

2 hours ago, smntoronto said:

I believe I read elsewhere on this thread or maybe another that rejection letters from Carleton (in previous years) had been mailed out on February 4th. I don't think they stick to any one specific date year over year to mail out every rejection letter because that would mean they would've had to review all submitted applications by that point. If they'd mailed out all rejection letters in January, I would think that 2 year applicants would have heard back by now or will very soon. Not positive though! 

You think they’ll come in the mail or email? It’s weird though because let’s say they did send rejections out on February 4 or even in Janruary because you would think that they’d update our Carleton Central when they send out the letters. Mine still says under review. 

4 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

You think they’ll come in the mail or email? It’s weird though because let’s say they did send rejections out on February 4 or even in Janruary because you would think that they’d update our Carleton Central when they send out the letters. Mine still says under review. 

Mine still says Review in progress by department, too. Stephanie mentioned that results would be made available on Carleton Central. I'm not sure if they send an email or mail or any one of those things. I would just keep an eye on Carleton Central. 

Hi everyone,

I've been looking through this forum ever since the summer and only now made an account. Congratulations to everyone so far!

Curious to hear whether or not there's anyone here that's applying straight from their BSW. I'm from the GTA and only applied to Ryerson and UofT. I've heard it's incredibly difficult and competitive to get into your MSW straight from their BSW (I graduate this June!). I have about 2,500 relevant hrs, A- average, great references and unique experiences. I'm not expecting admission, but would love to connect or hear about other folks in a similar situation!

1 hour ago, ctbsw said:

Hi everyone,

I've been looking through this forum ever since the summer and only now made an account. Congratulations to everyone so far!

Curious to hear whether or not there's anyone here that's applying straight from their BSW. I'm from the GTA and only applied to Ryerson and UofT. I've heard it's incredibly difficult and competitive to get into your MSW straight from their BSW (I graduate this June!). I have about 2,500 relevant hrs, A- average, great references and unique experiences. I'm not expecting admission, but would love to connect or hear about other folks in a similar situation!

Hey! I graduated with a few people that went straight on to their MSWs. They stayed at the same school so that may have worked in their favor. A couple of them were mature students with a lot of experience prior to receiving their BSW, as well. I don't know about Ryerson or UofT but I know that a lot of schools ask for two years of "post-BSW work or volunteer experience". I also know that a lot of schools will not accept practicum hours as experience. 

On 2018-02-03 at 10:57 PM, magfish said:

What does that even MEAN?!???! Like. Is the 15th mid february?? Is the 10th mid, since the month only has 28 days? What is mid-late???? It could theoretically be any time between now and the end of the month. Ahhhhhhhh I just want to KNOW!!!

(Last year the first Carleton acceptance was March 1st so at least we're ahead of them???)

I feel this so much!!!!! I just want to know so bad 

2 hours ago, Meiks said:

Hey! I graduated with a few people that went straight on to their MSWs. They stayed at the same school so that may have worked in their favor. A couple of them were mature students with a lot of experience prior to receiving their BSW, as well. I don't know about Ryerson or UofT but I know that a lot of schools ask for two years of "post-BSW work or volunteer experience". I also know that a lot of schools will not accept practicum hours as experience. 

Wow, practicum isn't considered experience? Wasn't aware of this. That's really surprising to me! Good to know about having the two years post BSW experience.

Talked to a couple of MSW students for my application - one of them I interviewed told me she wasn't accepted straight out of school, did about 8 months of PSW work, reapplied using same application and references and got in. I have a feeling that a lot of it is based on the pool you're in and the competitiveness of applications. I could be wrong though.

35 minutes ago, ctbsw said:

Wow, practicum isn't considered experience? Wasn't aware of this. That's really surprising to me! Good to know about having the two years post BSW experience.

Talked to a couple of MSW students for my application - one of them I interviewed told me she wasn't accepted straight out of school, did about 8 months of PSW work, reapplied using same application and references and got in. I have a feeling that a lot of it is based on the pool you're in and the competitiveness of applications. I could be wrong though.

That may not be the case for the two schools you're applying for! I'm applying for school in BC and that's what it says on the admission requirements for it. I would just look at the FAQs on the websites if you're unsure!

19 hours ago, hannahdaviidson said:

Hello! Has anyone else applied to the two year programs at York or U of T? I applied and the waiting is killing me! It looks like last year the offers for both schools went out at the end of March for the two year programs... 

I have! Those are my top choices. I actually just got accepted to the public policy program at YorkU two days ago (my backup choice), but I need to accept by the last day of February. I'm unsure whether accepting it will interfere with the MSW program's decision or not...

17 hours ago, Meemoo said:

Honesty even as I'm typing this to you I have no idea if I did it right.. that essay felt like a huge guess lmao BUT I believe the main purpose of using the sources was to see if you can write at the level they require. My BSW prof told me it was equally important not to over use the references/quotes and use it to back up what I was saying rather than run the show if that makes sense. Wow sorry for the essay, no idea if I made sense. 

Ya I followed the order they suggested as well. I tried to make mine flow well and answer all the aspects they were looking for. Calgary is the only school I applied to and since I have to do the 2 year program I didn't want to move. 

I hope they sort through applications quick. All they said was they hope to have everyone notified by end of march.... I need to plan my life I feel like I'm in limbo a bit waiting to hear haha

1 hour ago, danemom said:

Ya I followed the order they suggested as well. I tried to make mine flow well and answer all the aspects they were looking for. Calgary is the only school I applied to and since I have to do the 2 year program I didn't want to move. 

I hope they sort through applications quick. All they said was they hope to have everyone notified by end of march.... I need to plan my life I feel like I'm in limbo a bit waiting to hear haha

Ya Calgary is the only school I applied for as well!! So much riding on it, Im going to be SO SAD if I don't get in. What gpa and experience do you have? I know they say end of March BUT on some older forums apparently someone heard as soon as Feb 13. Eeek fingers crossed for us. 

On 2/8/2018 at 1:04 AM, Meemoo said:

Me!! I applied for the exact same thing. How did you find the "study plan" aka letter of intent? Fingers crossed for us

It was my second time writing it (I applied to the program back in 2015), so I definitely found it easier this time around. I was more focused on what I want to do... which makes sense since I have more education and experience since the last time I applied. 

26 minutes ago, Meemoo said:

Ya Calgary is the only school I applied for as well!! So much riding on it, Im going to be SO SAD if I don't get in. What gpa and experience do you have? I know they say end of March BUT on some older forums apparently someone heard as soon as Feb 13. Eeek fingers crossed for us. 

I am SO hoping to hear back early. I don't know if I can take waiting until March! As for GPA, mine isn't stellar- 3.4. My strength is in my experience (over 10K hours) and my study plan (I think it's good?). What kind of stats are you going in with?

20 minutes ago, Aslwin said:

It was my second time writing it (I applied to the program back in 2015), so I definitely found it easier this time around. I was more focused on what I want to do... which makes sense since I have more education and experience since the last time I applied. 

I am SO hoping to hear back early. I don't know if I can take waiting until March! As for GPA, mine isn't stellar- 3.4. My strength is in my experience (over 10K hours) and my study plan (I think it's good?). What kind of stats are you going in with?

That's awesome you have so much experience!! I feel like I did a good job on the study plan but ya never know lol

I am also very much hoping I hear back soon!! I'll be checking my emails obsessively from next week on haha. I only have two years paid work experience-one year as a support worker in a couple shelters, and a year as a clinical counsellor for rural indigenous communities. I really hope my bare minimum experience is enough. My GPA calculated from the last two years is 3.95 or something. Overall it's 3.4 but I read they only calculate the last two years so that works for me!! It sucks because I have a year gap in my employment but now I have a great job that I wish I could have included in my resume!!! Ahhhhhhh 

12 hours ago, Meemoo said:

That's awesome you have so much experience!! I feel like I did a good job on the study plan but ya never know lol

I am also very much hoping I hear back soon!! I'll be checking my emails obsessively from next week on haha. I only have two years paid work experience-one year as a support worker in a couple shelters, and a year as a clinical counsellor for rural indigenous communities. I really hope my bare minimum experience is enough. My GPA calculated from the last two years is 3.95 or something. Overall it's 3.4 but I read they only calculate the last two years so that works for me!! It sucks because I have a year gap in my employment but now I have a great job that I wish I could have included in my resume!!! Ahhhhhhh 

You can always email the Grad Admin and notify them of any updates re employment, grades, etc.

On 07/02/2018 at 8:40 PM, Meemoo said:

Yay I'm so glad this board exists. I searched and couldn't find an active one for the life of me. I have no idea what work experience is relevant but thay sounds like something I would be stoked to have on my resume. I think it depends what specialization you are going for. 

I only applied to the university of Calgary 1 year MSW with a clinical specialization and I really desperately want to get in. I worked oh my statement of intent for a month (which I found very difficult /confusing) and I am so eager to find out whether I'm in or out. Does anyone know of any rejections or acceptance this early on? Eeeekkkk

I called admissions and they said that we would not hear back until at least mid March for the 1 year clinical. The said they were behind right now. The people who hear in feb are those in leadership because they start on the summer. 

21 hours ago, Aslwin said:

I emailed the clinical program advisor from Calgary and she told me that a competitive gpa is between 3.3-3.5. It sucks that we won't hear back until mid March though. I just want to know! 

Edited by TLF26

Hi everyone! 

I'm karisma & I'm applying to the 2 year MSW program at uoft and york as well as lakehead orillia/thunderbay, york, and mcmaster for their post degree bsw programs. 

Since I have an undergrad in business (a specialization in human resources), I was explicitly told by the York grad admin that I have 0 chances of getting in since they prefer students from the social sciences and humanities (its also a fully funded program hence the competitiveness). 

I had a few questions for you all:

1) Is anyone still in the process of completing their research methods requirement? I took a couple of statistics courses during my undergrad but did very poor in them because I took them in my first year. I'm currently getting an A+ in the research methods course, however, I'll have it completed by the end of February and I heard that mid march is when decisions come out. 

At this point I feel very discouraged to even get into the program since I don't have this portion completed yet...I suffer from anxiety and I'm really trying my best right now

However my GPA in my last year is a 3.95 on a 4.33 scale, and I have numerous volunteer and work experiences [working with populations such as newcomers with mental health, a peer support group volunteer, volunteering internationally in africa (jump starting a women's microfinance program to promote empowerment , independence, and entrepreneurship) and pakistan as a special needs assistant at local schools, volunteering at ethnic community centres, and the list can go on]. I also was a research associate for a diversity, equity and inclusion firm for 10 months and got my supervisor to write me a reference- all 3 of my references reassured me how they wrote terrific things about my work ethic, my critical thinking, and ability to understand diverse and marginalized populations

2) My research course is taking place online with Athabasca University...any of you completed it there as well?

3) Has anyone else applied to the post degree programs at the schools I mentioned above? Or has a post degree BSW at the moment?  As I mentioned above, my GPA from my last year (5 full credits) is a 3.95/4.33, but my overall CGPA is a B (because of family situations and personal mental health situations which really made it hard to focus during my 1st/2nd year of uni- but I soared with flying colours through years 3-5).

I'm really leaning towards York's post degree BSW (that has a minimum B overall GPA requirement)- it has an awesome AOP framework and such diverse courses. did any of you get in with the minimum B component?

Also waiting to write the Social work admissions test for mcmaster in March! I

I know there isn't a thread for the post degree program but for those of you who currently possess it, do you have any advice for someone who is stressing over this such as myself?

Edited by karisma

6 hours ago, TLF26 said:

I emailed the clinical program advisor from Calgary and she told me that a competitive gpa is between 3.3-3.5. It sucks that we won't hear back until mid March though. I just want to know! 

Can you give me the email for the clinical program advisor? I emailed about a resume update but got an automated reply. 

Ann Chen was a really helpful advisor her email is ajmchen@ucalgary.ca . But according the the website Sally is now the clinical advisor. Her email is sstgeor@ucalgary.ca. They are also really helpful over the phone too and dont seem to mind answering questions.

On 2/9/2018 at 11:22 AM, ctbsw said:

Hi everyone,

Hey there! I'm applying with my BSW as well, I have a lot of friends who have applied previously and got into their MSW without necessarily having work experience. I've never applied before this year so I can't speak from my own experience, but from what I hear from others, your application and good grades (particularly the grades) count for a lot more than they suggest. I had spoken to a placement supervisor who applied for her MSW with 8 years counseling experience and a BSW but an average/ poor GPA and she was rejected everywhere she applied her first year and accepted off the wait list at York her second application cycle. This is obviously only one story, but my point is that I consistently meet MSW students who have very little to no work experience but are successful in their applications. I'm sure you'll do well this year :)

On 2/9/2018 at 4:57 PM, Aslwin said:

What kind of stats are you going in with?

Applying to the 2-year calgary clinical. Going with a 3.7 in my last 60units and about 3600 hours directly in human services field. I went kind of vulnerable on my study plan with my personal reasons for picking my area of interest.... hoping this doesn't backfire but hey it's the truth. 

21 hours ago, TLF26 said:

If the 1 year clinical won't hear back until mid march I really hope the foundational year people (AKA me lol) don't have to wait even longer!!

2 hours ago, danemom said:

Applying to the 2-year calgary clinical. Going with a 3.7 in my last 60units and about 3600 hours directly in human services field. I went kind of vulnerable on my study plan with my personal reasons for picking my area of interest.... hoping this doesn't backfire but hey it's the truth. 

If the 1 year clinical won't hear back until mid march I really hope the foundational year people (AKA me lol) don't have to wait even longer!!

They said everyone will hear back by end of March. I am thinking that they probably do 1 and 2 year clinical programs at the same time. I know they accept 30 for each but not too sure how many applicants they receieve. I initally inquired about the leadership specialization and they said 1 in 3 applicants are successful. Not sure about the clinical program. Does anyone know?

23 hours ago, karisma said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm karisma & I'm applying to the 2 year MSW program at uoft and york as well as lakehead orillia/thunderbay, york, and mcmaster for their post degree bsw programs. 

Since I have an undergrad in business (a specialization in human resources), I was explicitly told by the York grad admin that I have 0 chances of getting in since they prefer students from the social sciences and humanities (its also a fully funded program hence the competitiveness). 

I had a few questions for you all:

1) Is anyone still in the process of completing their research methods requirement? I took a couple of statistics courses during my undergrad but did very poor in them because I took them in my first year. I'm currently getting an A+ in the research methods course, however, I'll have it completed by the end of February and I heard that mid march is when decisions come out. 

At this point I feel very discouraged to even get into the program since I don't have this portion completed yet...I suffer from anxiety and I'm really trying my best right now

However my GPA in my last year is a 3.95 on a 4.33 scale, and I have numerous volunteer and work experiences [working with populations such as newcomers with mental health, a peer support group volunteer, volunteering internationally in africa (jump starting a women's microfinance program to promote empowerment , independence, and entrepreneurship) and pakistan as a special needs assistant at local schools, volunteering at ethnic community centres, and the list can go on]. I also was a research associate for a diversity, equity and inclusion firm for 10 months and got my supervisor to write me a reference- all 3 of my references reassured me how they wrote terrific things about my work ethic, my critical thinking, and ability to understand diverse and marginalized populations

2) My research course is taking place online with Athabasca University...any of you completed it there as well?

3) Has anyone else applied to the post degree programs at the schools I mentioned above? Or has a post degree BSW at the moment?  As I mentioned above, my GPA from my last year (5 full credits) is a 3.95/4.33, but my overall CGPA is a B (because of family situations and personal mental health situations which really made it hard to focus during my 1st/2nd year of uni- but I soared with flying colours through years 3-5).

I'm really leaning towards York's post degree BSW (that has a minimum B overall GPA requirement)- it has an awesome AOP framework and such diverse courses. did any of you get in with the minimum B component?

Also waiting to write the Social work admissions test for mcmaster in March! I

I know there isn't a thread for the post degree program but for those of you who currently possess it, do you have any advice for someone who is stressing over this such as myself?

Hey! I applied to York and UofT for their two year MSW's! I also applied to York and Mac for their post degree programs. Feeling like we're in the same boat!