Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

54 minutes ago, hannahdaviidson said:

Hey! I applied to York and UofT for their two year MSW's! I also applied to York and Mac for their post degree programs. Feeling like we're in the same boat!

Hey there! Did you submit your social justice statement yet? 

I know! It's nervewracking - hopefully we do well on the SWAT

To all those folks interested in their MSW at UBC Vancouver campus:

I can shed some light on why UBC Vancouver has decided to not offer their 2 year MSW program. I graduated from UBC Vancouver's BSW program in 2017 and participated in department's inner politics quite a fair bit. The school is incredibly small and the experience of BSW and MSW student's are identical, as 99% of the professor teach at both levels. Both MSW and BSW students review their respective programs, and the Racialized Student Caucus, the Indigenous Student's Caucus, and the Disability Student's Caucus, and the Queer Student's Caucus, and Equity Committee create their own surveys evaluating the cirrculum, professors, and general experiences by students. These results are published internally within the school amongst the student body, and are usually dismissed by the administration. To say dissatisfaction rates are high would be a gross understatement.

The 2 year MSW program is under review by the BC college of social work education, and didn't implement the recommendations the last time the program was reviewed by the college several years ago. There are several reasons why the school didn't pass it's accreditation: 1) High turnover rate of professors and instructors. In my first year alone, 4 full-time professors quit. Two were Indigenous women, specializing in child welfare and trauma counselling respectively. One was a white queer woman whose area of practice was on mental health and disability justice/accomodation, and a white woman who is a strong trans advocate and a trauma researcher. The school also embarked on a search for a new Director of the School of Social work after the previous one stepped down. The search committee could not deliver adequate candidates (not one applicant was from British Columbia as the school's reputation is well known within the social work community), and as such the acting in-term Director took over for the next 3 years. I sat in on many of the interviews for various new hires, including the Director's, and the previous professors who left were my social work mentors.  There were also 3 new various Practicum Coordinators at various times in 2016-2017, which created the biggest disorganized mess regarding students securing practicum placements. 2) UBC School of Social Work (located 7km from the Musqueam reserve) as disgustingly low graduation rates for Indigenous students, and actively tries to silence students who experience marginalization who speak out against the school's violent and incompetent administration. I could site hundreds of examples, but the school is living, breathing, human rights violation. 3) The school does not have the capacity to run two MSW programs, and was basically told to shut down one of them and try to rebuild it from scratch. 4) The school also does not offer a part-time program, which is a violation of the BC Code of Human Rights with regards to students with disabilities. 

Overall, my experience from applying to graduating was utterly torturous violence. I have worked in anti-violence organizations, child welfare, and in the LGBTQ2S community- and the school breeds institutional violence; racism, homophobia, transphobia, classism, and ablism at every turn. The professors (for the most part) have ZERO praxis (as the saying goes, those who can't do, teach). If I had a dollar for every time I witnessed or experienced violence, all 50k of my student loans would be paid back twice over with interest. 

Personally and professionally, I would actively disseude all applicants from giving UBC Vancouver Campus your hard earned dollars. I would not be surprised if the School of Social Work was shut down entirely in 5 years. There would be a lot less racialized and Indigenous youth in MCFD's care in the Lower Mainland- that's for sure. 

Edited by caffinefuelled

4 hours ago, caffinefuelled said:

To all those folks interested in their MSW at UBC Vancouver campus:

I can shed some light on why UBC Vancouver has decided to not offer their 2 year MSW program. I graduated from UBC Vancouver's BSW program in 2017 and participated in department's inner politics quite a fair bit. The school is incredibly small and the experience of BSW and MSW student's are identical, as 99% of the professor teach at both levels. Both MSW and BSW students review their respective programs, and the Racialized Student Caucus, the Indigenous Student's Caucus, and the Disability Student's Caucus, and the Queer Student's Caucus, and Equity Committee create their own surveys evaluating the cirrculum, professors, and general experiences by students. These results are published internally within the school amongst the student body, and are usually dismissed by the administration. To say dissatisfaction rates are high would be a gross understatement.

The 2 year MSW program is under review by the BC college of social work education, and didn't implement the recommendations the last time the program was reviewed by the college several years ago. There are several reasons why the school didn't pass it's accreditation: 1) High turnover rate of professors and instructors. In my first year alone, 4 full-time professors quit. Two were Indigenous women, specializing in child welfare and trauma counselling respectively. One was a white queer woman whose area of practice was on mental health and disability justice/accomodation, and a white woman who is a strong trans advocate and a trauma researcher. The school also embarked on a search for a new Director of the School of Social work after the previous one stepped down. The search committee could not deliver adequate candidates (not one applicant was from British Columbia as the school's reputation is well known within the social work community), and as such the acting in-term Director took over for the next 3 years. I sat in on many of the interviews for various new hires, including the Director's, and the previous professors who left were my social work mentors.  There were also 3 new various Practicum Coordinators at various times in 2016-2017, which created the biggest disorganized mess regarding students securing practicum placements. 2) UBC School of Social Work (located 7km from the Musqueam reserve) as disgustingly low graduation rates for Indigenous students, and actively tries to silence students who experience marginalization who speak out against the school's violent and incompetent administration. I could site hundreds of examples, but the school is living, breathing, human rights violation. 3) The school does not have the capacity to run two MSW programs, and was basically told to shut down one of them and try to rebuild it from scratch. 4) The school also does not offer a part-time program, which is a violation of the BC Code of Human Rights with regards to students with disabilities. 

Overall, my experience from applying to graduating was utterly torturous violence. I have worked in anti-violence organizations, child welfare, and in the LGBTQ2S community- and the school breeds institutional violence; racism, homophobia, transphobia, classism, and ablism at every turn. The professors (for the most part) have ZERO praxis (as the saying goes, those who can't do, teach). If I had a dollar for every time I witnessed or experienced violence, all 50k of my student loans would be paid back twice over with interest. 

Personally and professionally, I would actively disseude all applicants from giving UBC Vancouver Campus your hard earned dollars. I would not be surprised if the School of Social Work was shut down entirely in 5 years. There would be a lot less racialized and Indigenous youth in MCFD's care in the Lower Mainland- that's for sure. 

Thank you so much for being honest and sharing this. The UBC advanced MSW is the only program I applied to because I am not in a position to relocate somewhere else at the moment. 

I'm now worried that if I'm admitted, I'll be wasting my time and money... Are there any accreditation issues for the advanced program? I do know that UBC Van has had serious issues with racism and sexism in their business school but I would have never thought that the school of social work would have these issues as well.

Thanks again for sharing. I've been looking everywhere for some kind of review or opinion on the advanced MSW.

1 hour ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Guys!! This week could be the week we finally hear something from Carleton! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME! 

Lol 

I read somewhere on this thread that the first rejection from Carleton went out February 23 for 2 year applicants. Could be another week :( 

Hey Carleton applicants! 

Anyone notice that the status of their application changed, not to approved or rejected but that it is passed on the grad committee or something. what does that mean? I would just prefer them not change anything until the final decision so i stop freaking out over it. 

40 minutes ago, ihatewaiting_ said:

Hey Carleton applicants! 

Anyone notice that the status of their application changed, not to approved or rejected but that it is passed on the grad committee or something. what does that mean? I would just prefer them not change anything until the final decision so i stop freaking out over it. 

I found descriptions of each status on their website. Found here: https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/

You may be referring to one of the following two statuses, which are both really good news! 

Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral AffairsYour application is being reviewed by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs. As soon as a decision is made you will be notified by email.

Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application ApprovedYour application was approved by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs and an Offer of Admission has been made to you. You can accept or decline your Offer of Admission in Carleton Central.

1 hour ago, ihatewaiting_ said:

Hey Carleton applicants! 

My status hasn't changed yet! Hopefully we get some news this week. I think passed on to grad committee just means that the preliminary review has been completed but I'm not certain.

1 hour ago, smntoronto said:

I found descriptions of each status on their website. Found here: https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/

You may be referring to one of the following two statuses, which are both really good news! 

Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral AffairsYour application is being reviewed by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs. As soon as a decision is made you will be notified by email.

Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application ApprovedYour application was approved by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs and an Offer of Admission has been made to you. You can accept or decline your Offer of Admission in Carleton Central.

Thanks! I didn't even think of looking on their website in my state of anxiety! haha Hopefully, we all know soon

6 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I also got my rejection letter for Carleton :(. Sigh. Makes me feel hopeless for my other applications. Anyone know of anyone that’s been rejected at Carleton but admitted elsewhere? 

Did you get an update on Carleton Central, via email or did you receive a letter in the mail? Curious as to how they're distributing decisions. 

12 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I got an email but it is also update on Carleton central. I’d say no news is good news for you at this point :)! 

Thank you, I hope so too :) I'm not sure whether rejections go out in waves like admissions but based on other threads, it looks like most rejections from Carleton went out Feb 14 in previous years and admissions went out around Feb 23, so who knows what's gonna happen! 

2 hours ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I also got my rejection letter for Carleton :(. Sigh. Makes me feel hopeless for my other applications. Anyone know of anyone that’s been rejected at Carleton but admitted elsewhere? 

I’m sorry to hear that you were not accepted.  Was Carleton your first choice? Hopefully the next email you get will be positive. This process is challenging on so many levels. The application process, the waiting and then the acceptance/rejection can be nerve wracking. I have tried to come to terms with the fact that it is out of my hands now and my fate is in the hands of the board.  I just keep repeating my mantra over and over again in hopes that the karma gods hear what I’m saying and when Laurier sends out their acceptance emails that I find myself on that distribution list.  I hope that you find success with another school. Never give up hope. 

1 hour ago, SW Sevante said:

I’m sorry to hear that you were not accepted.  Was Carleton your first choice? Hopefully the next email you get will be positive. This process is challenging on so many levels. The application process, the waiting and then the acceptance/rejection can be nerve wracking. I have tried to come to terms with the fact that it is out of my hands now and my fate is in the hands of the board.  I just keep repeating my mantra over and over again in hopes that the karma gods hear what I’m saying and when Laurier sends out their acceptance emails that I find myself on that distribution list.  I hope that you find success with another school. Never give up hope. 

It was not my first choice as it would require me to move 7-8 hours away. But I was getting acquainted with the idea of living in Ottawac, as well as looking forward to being accepted to make the next few months less nerve racking. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be for us in Ottawa. The more I think about it, the more I have come to terms with it. In fact, it might be good in the grand scheme of things; less choices we’ll have to make once all decisions are out. I really hope you do get accepted into Laurier too. I also put my eggs in the Western, Laurier, York, and Windsor baskets- so hopefully one of those pans out for me. 

Is this your first year applying?

I didn’t apply to Carleton.  Only Laurier. I can’t move and Laurier’s program was the only one I met the essential criteria for so all my eggs are in that basket. :P Or the post-degree BSW program at Mac.  Good luck with the other applications.  It is my first year applying so if it isn’t a success then I guess it will be good practice. ;) 

Edited by SW Sevante

3 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

I didn’t apply to Carleton.  Only Laurier. I can’t move and Laurier’s program was the only one I met the essential criteria for so all my eggs are in that basket. :P Or the post-degree BSW program at Mac.  Good luck with the other applications. 

On 2/11/2018 at 11:03 PM, Meiks said:

Thank you so much for being honest and sharing this. The UBC advanced MSW is the only program I applied to because I am not in a position to relocate somewhere else at the moment. 

I'm now worried that if I'm admitted, I'll be wasting my time and money... Are there any accreditation issues for the advanced program? I do know that UBC Van has had serious issues with racism and sexism in their business school but I would have never thought that the school of social work would have these issues as well.

Thanks again for sharing. I've been looking everywhere for some kind of review or opinion on the advanced MSW.

It's an epidemic at UBC in general - regardless of the department (google Stephen Galloway, . It is well documented that the School of Social Work particularly is a site of continual violence- especially in regards to sexual assault (I WISH I was kidding). If you'd like, I can put you in touch with advanced MSW students. UBC's social work reputation is that it engages in rigorous research and has a strong clinical program- and sadly, the school (because of the incompetent internal administration) cannot retain qualified professors and there is very little funding afforded to students and professors to engage in research. I would strongly suggest UVic's Advanced MSW in the future- I had colleagues and friends who did the program, and heard nothing but great things! Especially if your frameworks to practice lean anywhere towards anti-oppression/decolonization. I was accepted to their BSW program and turned it down in favour of UBC, because I enjoy classroom discussions. However, the level of violence that occurs in the classroom at the hands of professors ruined my love for classroom learning and was incredibly traumatic. If you are based in the Lower Mainland (sounds like you are), UVic students who do the program online meet regularly to do readings, projects, etc. together and are generally very supportive of one another. Also any review of the BSW or 2 year MSW program would be beneficial as all the professors are the same. I wish you the best of luck! 

1 hour ago, UofTMSWApplicant said:

Wondering if anyone has received an acceptance or rejection letter from the UofT 1 year advanced standing MSW program.. Specifically, I applied for Health and Mental Health with specialization in Addictions Studies!  

Haven't received either, from previous years it seems like for the one year advance standing we should hear late next week or the week afterwards. I applied for health and mental health as well (no specialization). Fingers crossed for us!