Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Hey everyone,

I am also surprised at how quiet this years forum is. I applied to Calgary's 1 year clinical specialization, as well as UFV. I am just finishing my BSW at Uvic this semester. I also know quite a bit about the MSW program if anyone has any questions.  I decided not to apply to Uvic as it does not offer a clinical focus.

On 2018-01-27 at 8:06 PM, TLF26 said:

Hey everyone,

I am also surprised at how quiet this years forum is. I applied to Calgary's 1 year clinical specialization, as well as UFV. I am just finishing my BSW at Uvic this semester. I also know quite a bit about the MSW program if anyone has any questions.  I decided not to apply to Uvic as it does not offer a clinical focus.

This year is very quiet! I remember there being much more activity when I applied back in 2015! Does UFV have a clinical focus as well? I applied only to UofC this year because of their program. I know I’m “putting all my eggs into one basket”, but I don’t mind waiting to get into the program (if I’m not successful this year, which I honestly don’t think I will be) since it aligns with my career path and ideology. Good luck to you!

On 29/01/2018 at 10:50 AM, Aslwin said:

This year is very quiet! I remember there being much more activity when I applied back in 2015! Does UFV have a clinical focus as well? I applied only to UofC this year because of their program. I know I’m “putting all my eggs into one basket”, but I don’t mind waiting to get into the program (if I’m not successful this year, which I honestly don’t think I will be) since it aligns with my career path and ideology. Good luck to you!

UFV is not totally clinical focused but they do offer some electives in clinical practice. Calgary would be my first choice for sure. I am feeling the same as you..I wont be totally crushed if I am not successful this year. Calgary told me that a competitive gpa is between a 3.2 and 3.5. I don't know how much weight gpa has on the application though. Good luck to you as well!

On 2018-02-01 at 6:52 PM, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I got an email from Carleton and she said applicants will start hearing from them mid- late february. Ah. The suspense and anxiety is killing me. 

What does that even MEAN?!???! Like. Is the 15th mid february?? Is the 10th mid, since the month only has 28 days? What is mid-late???? It could theoretically be any time between now and the end of the month. Ahhhhhhhh I just want to KNOW!!!

(Last year the first Carleton acceptance was March 1st so at least we're ahead of them???)

16 hours ago, magfish said:

What does that even MEAN?!???! Like. Is the 15th mid february?? Is the 10th mid, since the month only has 28 days? What is mid-late???? It could theoretically be any time between now and the end of the month. Ahhhhhhhh I just want to KNOW!!!

(Last year the first Carleton acceptance was March 1st so at least we're ahead of them???)

I knowwww!! I've been obsessively checking. Also, that's for the 2-year MSW..unless they are both the same. I feel like Carleton gets less applicants than other universities judging off of the previous forum's on Grad Cafe- this could be me being extremely hopeful haha.

11 hours ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I knowwww!! I've been obsessively checking. Also, that's for the 2-year MSW..unless they are both the same. I feel like Carleton gets less applicants than other universities judging off of the previous forum's on Grad Cafe- this could be me being extremely hopeful haha.

WAIT. They're saying the two year applicants will hear by the end of February? That honestly doesn't sound right. Two years hearing anything before late March is kind of unheard of, even for them?

And where does that leave us one years??? Ahhhhh!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, magfish said:

WAIT. They're saying the two year applicants will hear by the end of February? That honestly doesn't sound right. Two years hearing anything before late March is kind of unheard of, even for them?

And where does that leave us one years??? Ahhhhh!!!!!!!

Yeah! It’s possible Stephanie was mistaken and thought that I applied for the 1-year program hence her response. Hwoever, I really hope we all find out this month! I will be so sad to wait until March. Maybe they’ve been really quick and diligent processing applications and can release both 1-year and 2-year... WISHFUL thinking haha 

Long time lurker here....

I was really surprised (and excited) to get an email 2 weeks ago that I had been accepted to the two year MSW at UBCO. So end of February for other 2 year programs maybe could happen? I'm also waiting to hear back from U of T and Calgary. 

Edited by kleigh17

I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the MSW program applicant criteria at Laurier.  I am so worried because my GPA was a B-B+ according to the table Laurier provides to calculate your average for the last 10 credits of University.  You see, I went back to school after a 10 year hiatus to complete my degree.  I did this after I had my 2 kids, was a single mother and worked full time which is why my marks aren't the greatest.  I then went on to take a post-graduate certificate at Conestoga and graduated with a 3.98 GPA after I completed my degree which had courses in interviewing, mentoring and coaching as well as working with diverse populations etc which are definitely related to the field. 

I have been working in corrections in a number of roles for over 4.5 years (teaching anger management and substance abuse programs as well as being an officer) and also have volunteer experience in addictions, mental health and with high-risk youth.  My total experience hours are approximately 10 000 hrs in total.  I am older (in my 40's) and have significant life experience.  I also facilitate a Peer Support Group for those who suffer from PTSD.  I am confident that my experience and personal statement are strong but I am very concerned that my average isn't good enough.  I did not write about how I went back to school while I was working full time in my statement which may explain my B/B+ average as I believed that it would be self-explanatory in my resume as my education overlaps with my work experience but now I am worried that I should have expressed that more clearly.  I also didn't want to look like I was asking for sympathy as I don't believe that my personal struggles should impact a decision to be accepted or not. 

I got the impression from attending the information night that they look for candidates that are well rounded with related work experience.  I did not get the impression that you needed an A average to get accepted as someone posted here earlier.  Perhaps I interpreted incorrectly.  Just wondering if you have any idea how things are weighted.  I thought I remembered them saying it was 25% academic, 25% references, 25% written statement and 25%work experience or something along those lines, basically that they don't weigh one area to be worth more than the other. 

I'm probably worrying too much about things that are out of my control but I am so worried that I will be overlooked simply because of my mediocre average as I believe that my life/work experience is strong.

Any thoughts...

4 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the MSW program applicant criteria at Laurier.  I am so worried because my GPA was a B-B+ according to the table Laurier provides to calculate your average for the last 10 credits of University.  You see, I went back to school after a 10 year hiatus to complete my degree.  I did this after I had my 2 kids, was a single mother and worked full time which is why my marks aren't the greatest.  I then went on to take a post-graduate certificate at Conestoga and graduated with a 3.98 GPA after I completed my degree which had courses in interviewing, mentoring and coaching as well as working with diverse populations etc which are definitely related to the field. 

I have been working in corrections in a number of roles for over 4.5 years (teaching anger management and substance abuse programs as well as being an officer) and also have volunteer experience in addictions, mental health and with high-risk youth.  My total experience hours are approximately 10 000 hrs in total.  I am older (in my 40's) and have significant life experience.  I also facilitate a Peer Support Group for those who suffer from PTSD.  I am confident that my experience and personal statement are strong but I am very concerned that my average isn't good enough.  I did not write about how I went back to school while I was working full time in my statement which may explain my B/B+ average as I believed that it would be self-explanatory in my resume as my education overlaps with my work experience but now I am worried that I should have expressed that more clearly.  I also didn't want to look like I was asking for sympathy as I don't believe that my personal struggles should impact a decision to be accepted or not. 

I got the impression from attending the information night that they look for candidates that are well rounded with related work experience.  I did not get the impression that you needed an A average to get accepted as someone posted here earlier.  Perhaps I interpreted incorrectly.  Just wondering if you have any idea how things are weighted.  I thought I remembered them saying it was 25% academic, 25% references, 25% written statement and 25%work experience or something along those lines, basically that they don't weigh one area to be worth more than the other. 

I'm probably worrying too much about things that are out of my control but I am so worried that I will be overlooked simply because of my mediocre average as I believe that my life/work experience is strong.

Any thoughts...

The thing is, most schools just arent transparent enough about how much they weigh certain things. Even when they say they are... theres just so much bias that goes into the application process. I will tell you when I was rejected from Laurier in 2015  the letter said very plainly that "most successful candidates have at least 3500 hours of experience and an A- average". But it sounds like you really do have a ton of experience (which I was also lacking) so it's hard to say. Also, things may have changed in the last three years!

I will say, if you don't get in, it's not the end.  These are very competitive programs and someones it takes applicants a few tries to get in. Or you nay find a different way to go about the path for yourself. At this point there isn't much you can do but know that you worked hard and, hopefully, what will be will be. 

Has anyone heard anything from UBC Vancouver? It says if we were to be considered, we still need to send in our official transcripts.They only asked for scanned ones in the application.

Thanks Magfish! I agree, nothing I can do to change my situation.  I did apply to a post-degree BSW program as back up if the MSW doesn’t work out. I applied to the 2 year stream. Would prefer to not have to do an extra year of school as I’m no spring chicken. Lol. But in the grand scheme of life, what’s another year.  Good luck to all who have applied.  Wish you all the best. 

i received an acceptance via email from ubc-o, today. also for the two year msw program. this seems very early to me, too, considering that the deadline for applications was jan. 31. 

i have to say that, although i am excited about this, i am also stressed because i have to respond to the offer by feb. 26, which is so soon! what if i haven't heard back from any other schools by then? has anyone else been in this position before?! can you accept an offer and then retract your acceptance? >_< 

6 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

Thanks Magfish! I agree, nothing I can do to change my situation.  I did apply to a post-degree BSW program as back up if the MSW doesn’t work out. I applied to the 2 year stream. Would prefer to not have to do an extra year of school as I’m no spring chicken. Lol. But in the grand scheme of life, what’s another year.  Good luck to all who have applied.  Wish you all the best. 

I did the exact same thing!!! Waitlisted at U of T and rejected at Laurier in 2015, I did the 15 month post-degree BSW at St Thomas in NB. Honestly, I was broken hearted about it all - it meant another almost two years of long distance in my relationship, a perceived huge delay to my future career, and I considered it unnecessary, which was honestly probably just my ego talking.

I'm on the other side of it now. I graduated just over a year ago (December 2016) and decided not to apply to an MSW right away. I've been working food service for the last basically year and although a lot of that was disheartening, it has been a really good experience. I was not ready to do my MSW, honestly. Just because I had a gender studies minor didn't mean I knew much about social work. I didn't love my program BUT I learned a LOT about what I want to do and what I don't, and what I'm WILLING to do (and able to, for my own mental health). I met some incredible people and ultimately feel way more prepared and ready - even answering the personal statements this time around felt much more... cohesive? I just know more about what I want. And ultimately, I was right three years ago: what I want to do requires a masters degree, and with the state of clinical social work right now I'm safer for myself not in it. I'm sad about it, for sure. I'd rather be using my degree! But, I also have colleagues who rushed through our program (which honestly was a LOT of work - I can't imagine condensing it AND more into just one "foundational" year!) and are now, a year later, burnt out and exhausted. I'm a little frustrated, but in SUCH a better place and am now really excited to actually get into this in the right way for me.

ANYWAYS. It felt shitty and like a huge misstep for me, but in the end it was worth it. AND we had people of all ages and walks of life in our class as well. And you're right, honestly, what's one more year? THAT SAID- I'll still send some positive vibes your way and hope you get some good news!

3 minutes ago, sleepysocialworker said:

i received an acceptance via email from ubc-o, today. also for the two year msw program. this seems very early to me, too, considering that the deadline for applications was jan. 31. 

i have to say that, although i am excited about this, i am also stressed because i have to respond to the offer by feb. 26, which is so soon! what if i haven't heard back from any other schools by then? has anyone else been in this position before?! can you accept an offer and then retract your acceptance? >_< 

Not from UBCo, but I know that in previous years people have either: a) sent an email and asked for an extension, which some schools are happy to grant, or b ) paid the deposit and then forfeited it if they didn't end up attending. Congrats and good luck on the tough decision!

7 hours ago, Meiks said:

Has anyone heard anything from UBC Vancouver? It says if we were to be considered, we still need to send in our official transcripts.They only asked for scanned ones in the application.

for ubc-o, the acceptance offer is conditional based on your criminal record check and official transcripts. so i uploaded scans during my application and now have to send official, sealed transcripts by mail if i accept their offer. 

16 hours ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Yeah! It’s possible Stephanie was mistaken and thought that I applied for the 1-year program hence her response. Hwoever, I really hope we all find out this month! I will be so sad to wait until March. Maybe they’ve been really quick and diligent processing applications and can release both 1-year and 2-year... WISHFUL thinking haha 

I just looked back at my timeline for last year and it looks like Carleton was one of the only programs where not only did the 2 years hear BEFORE the 1 years, BUT also heard much earlier than others - Feb 23rd was the first one on last years form!!! :o Wow! So maybe you don't have much longer to wait after all. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, magfish said:

Not from UBCo, but I know that in previous years people have either: a) sent an email and asked for an extension, which some schools are happy to grant, or b ) paid the deposit and then forfeited it if they didn't end up attending. Congrats and good luck on the tough decision!

thank you for the kind words! i am relieved to hear that i have a few options. ^_^

6 hours ago, magfish said:

I just looked back at my timeline for last year and it looks like Carleton was one of the only programs where not only did the 2 years hear BEFORE the 1 years, BUT also heard much earlier than others - Feb 23rd was the first one on last years form!!! :o Wow! So maybe you don't have much longer to wait after all. Good luck!

It’s amazing because if I do get accepted it’ll make the next few months waiting on the other schools a lot less nerve racking. Agh. I’m so antsy. 

Do you know much about how competitive Carleton is in comparison to other programs? 

:)  

18 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

Any thoughts...

I’m in the same boat as you. My average isn’t as competitive as it could be; but I’m still holding out hope because I feel that I have a decent amount of experience for my age. You seem like you have a ton of experience. So try not to sweat it :). It sounds very hopeful to me!  

Did you apply anywhere elSs?

7 hours ago, sleepysocialworker said:

I accepted the offer, and there was no deposit. Just said that by August you had to pay a tuition instalment. So accepting it seemed pretty low risk!

Just the cost of sending the criminal record check and transcript. Which I can't seem to figure out the deadline for that.

23 minutes ago, kleigh17 said:

I accepted the offer, and there was no deposit. Just said that by August you had to pay a tuition instalment. So accepting it seemed pretty low risk!

Just the cost of sending the criminal record check and transcript. Which I can't seem to figure out the deadline for that.

awesome, thanks so much for replying! seems like i can always just accept the offer and see what happens later. how exciting that we might end up being in the same program :D

i havent found any deadlines for the transcripts and criminal record check, either. :wacko:

2 hours ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I’m in the same boat as you. My average isn’t as competitive as it could be; but I’m still holding out hope because I feel that I have a decent amount of experience for my age. You seem like you have a ton of experience. So try not to sweat it :). It sounds very hopeful to me!  

Did you apply anywhere elSs?

I did not apply elsewhere as this is the only program that is relatively local that I met the criteria in order to apply. Sadly, I’m unable to relocate and have 2 children who still need me around so I had to be realistic when I was making a decision with regards to applying. Laurier is really the only feasible option for me to pursue my MSW.  I also applied to the post degree BSW program at McMaster as a backup plan.  I figure worst case scenario I do that and then apply to to the MSW on line through Laurier after.  Did you also apply to Laurier? Anywhere else? It is so hard to really know for sure what they are looking for.  I have some people who work in the field tell me that they are confident I will be accepted based on my work/life experience and others who believe that I may not because my average isn’t high enough. I guess time will tell.  I really wish they did personal interviews as well, as I believe it would definitely give people like us who don’t have high grades an opportunity to show our strengths. After all, social work requires good communication skills both written and verbal. Obviously, with the number of applicants this isn’t realistic as I’m sure they don’t have the resources to make that happen. 

Best of luck to you. Hopefully we don’t have to wait until April to find out.