2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

7 hours ago, Some violinist said:

@krafael I don't think it'd be any different in terms of timing, or at least, any differences shouldn't be because of being international. No updates here, for what it's worth.

I contacted several programs. In fact, the Pitt CNUP program already sent invitations to domestic students today, but the staff said international invitations would be sent until mid-Jan. Some other programs, like BU and Columbia, should send their invitations at the same time.

Undergrad Institution: TOP Private (US NEWS TOP 30)
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): Music (So not relevant)
GPA in Major: 3.95
Overall GPA: 3.97
Position in Class: Top 2%
Type of Student: International male with a US degree

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 160+
V: 150+
W: 4.0
B: N/A

TOEFL: waived (For living in UK 4+ years)

Research Experience: 

Stanford Chemistry Lab (Summer volunteer) – This is my first research experience

One REU Fellowship – membrane protein crystallography

One-year biochemistry research at my home institution

A half year clinical research / shadowing at an affiliated hospital, pathology department (I was a premed, but not a big fan anymore)

A summer internship at a big pharmaceutical company – macromolecule research

One-year (currently) senior thesis – chemical biology/thermodynamics

(As you guys can see, I was constantly switching labs – So no Pub)
Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

No essential awards – Deans List, Department awards….
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA 2 semesters of upper level chemistry labs (quantum chemistry / spectroscopy)
Applying to Where:
Stanford – Chemical and Systems Bio

Columbia – Pharmacology

Penn –Pharmacology

Cornell – Pharmacology

UCLA –Pharmacology

Brown – Pharmacology

USC – Pharmacology

Sloan Kettering – Biomedical

NYU – Pharmacology

I was planning to apply some safe schools until I got offered a decent job recently. (BUT going to grad school is still my top choice.)

I am not a biology student, so applying to bio-program is really a stretch for me (but I really love Bio, more than Chemistry). The only bio-classes I took are molecular genetics and physiology (General Bio was replaced by AP). However, my research experiences are mostly bio-related.

Please comment on my stats, and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE (FOR those of who are having Finals week – GOOD luck with that as well)

I think I checked my emails more than 80 times – I really can’t stop.:(

8 hours ago, Miraz said:

I think they do have; as I also filled up the secondary application. That was just survey type, with simple questions, like (i) why you are interested in PhD at UTSW? (ii) what type of research are you interested in? (iii) List 5 faculties.  Not sure what are their purposes, but I guess, those questions were not in the online application system and they feel to ask again and surveyed, although SOP covers all those questions! Wondering why then everyone didn't receive that email? 

When did you get that email? I checked my emails to see if I missed it, I didn't get the email. I looked everywhere on the UTSW admissions website and the 2 departments - immunology and cancer biology I applied to. I didn't see anything about a secondary application. Maybe unless they are sending it to people that will be invited to interviews. That's the only thing I could think of. We'll see. 

4 hours ago, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

When did you get that email? I checked my emails to see if I missed it, I didn't get the email. I looked everywhere on the UTSW admissions website and the 2 departments - immunology and cancer biology I applied to. I didn't see anything about a secondary application. Maybe unless they are sending it to people that will be invited to interviews. That's the only thing I could think of. We'll see. 

I received the email on Dec 5 from Stuart Ravnik, Associate Dean. 

13 minutes ago, basketballfrost said:

same here

Though I'm with you on feeling a bit pressured and anxious that people are hearing back, it is early and everyday more and more schools are sending out invites. Though it's next to impossible, relax and trust in yourself and your application. Good things will come soon enough. (It's helping me that I haven't really seen any of my schools on the results page yet.)

Indiana University Purdue University IBMG invite.  Weekend conflicts with one of my other interviews, so I'm going to see if they can offer an alternate weekend.  Still waiting to hear from my top choice!

It's still early, I'm sure you will start hearing back in the next couple of weeks!  My first application season a few years ago, I didn't hear back from my two interviews until as late as early January.