2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

Pretty disappointed with Harvard BBS 'rejection'. Have been working for 2.5 years full time as post-doc in Harvard/MGH. LoRs were from Chair of Department and Associate Professors(all MGH). I am soon starting to loose my confidence.

Do they send any invites later or is today the final day?

Edited by Otinogonnyo

21 minutes ago, abhisheks94 said:

I think they just released one of the batches, and the email was from an administrator

Im sure it varies program by program, but for all of the programs I have seen the invitations seem to come out either all at once or alphabetically.

23 minutes ago, Otinogonnyo said:

Pretty disappointed with Harvard BBS 'rejection'. Have been working for 2.5 years full time as post-doc in Harvard/MGH. LoRs were from Chair of Department and Associate Professors(all MGH). I am soon starting to loose my confidence.

Do they send any invites later or is today the final day?

They haven't released all of the invites for today, as far as I know! But I think today is the only day for BBS

6 minutes ago, Izaak said:

Will official rejection letters be sent out? I have yet to hear anything from any of the programs I have applied (all computational biology/systems biology programs). 

I’d expect so. I got rejected last year, and received an (admittedly very nice) email saying so. And don’t fret yet, many programs haven’t started dishing out invites. I applied to a couple systems bio programs myself, hopefully we’ll both get some news soon.

Edited by Some violinist

7 minutes ago, abhisheks94 said:

They haven't released all of the invites for today, as far as I know! But I think today is the only day for BBS

Its 3:25 PM,EST. I am only hoping for a miracle, lol.

I tried contacting Yale BBS.The admin said, they haven't sent out interviews yet and we shall expect interviews in the next 2-4 weeks. I really feel a bit jittery now.

1 minute ago, Otinogonnyo said:

Its 3:25 PM,EST. I am only hoping for a miracle, lol.

I tried contacting Yale BBS.The admin said, they haven't sent out interviews yet and we shall expect interviews in the next 2-4 weeks. I really feel a bit jittery now.

I got a call a few days ago from a POI there with an interview invite, but they still haven't sent me the official email. She said that it would probably happen late next week or between christmas/new years. I imagine that's when all of them will be released!

5 minutes ago, abhisheks94 said:

I got a call a few days ago from a POI there with an interview invite, but they still haven't sent me the official email. She said that it would probably happen late next week or between christmas/new years. I imagine that's when all of them will be released!

Congratulations!!! That's great!!

The wait gets longer and longer!!

Hey everyone, best of luck with interviews and the whole admissions process. I know this is a very stressful time, but remember that you have worked hard to be where you are now and that hard work will pay off. 

If you don't get an interview at your dream school, don't worry about it. I know plenty of people who ended up at a school other than their top choice and a year or so in they are loving it. Everything will work out, and at the end of the day, it's all about how hard you work. If you're going to be a good scientist, then you're going to be a good scientist, regardless of where you do your PhD. I know people who get Nature papers at lower tier schools and people who never publish at Harvard. It's up to you to make the most out of your experience wherever you end up, so go nail your interviews regardless of the program and be the great scientist you know you can be. 

Good luck everyone! 

1 hour ago, Hannah.Sve said:

I saw on the results page that someone has called and the department confirmed that if you have not received an email at this point,  you will not be getting an interview. Disappointed as well, but judging from the stats on other people who did not get interviews, competition must have been really intense this year. Good luck with the rest of the schools you applied to!!

Everyone is a competitive applicant these days! Good luck with the rest of your schools as well! :) 

34 minutes ago, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

Keeping an eye on my phone in case University of Michigan PIBS decides to call me. Seems like they call instead of emailing. Any updates on UMich, UNC BBSP, Baylor College of Medicine, or Vanderbilt IGP? 

Vanderbilt meets every Monday and sends out interview offers the next Tuesday for each week in December. 

5 hours ago, _caffeinated said:

Just got an interview call from University of Michigan PIBS!! So excited 

congrats! do you mind if I ask what program in PIBS you applied for? wondering if I should keep waiting to hear back from them also or to know that they sent out all the invites already. 

38 minutes ago, sp.110172 said:

congrats! do you mind if I ask what program in PIBS you applied for? wondering if I should keep waiting to hear back from them also or to know that they sent out all the invites already. 

Thank you! I applied to the Molecular and Cellular Pathology program. For what its worth, I called PIBS yesterday asking for a timeframe during which they will be sending out interview invites, and the lady I spoke with said they'll send them out before the holidays. I know thats not exactly helpful but I'd maybe keep a lookout until the holidays. Good luck! I hope you hear from them. 

Hey guys, I'm applying to many schools but I'm not sure about my chances at all. It's already 12/15 and I haven't heard back from any schools yet. I'm extremely nervous right now.  Could anybody give some feedback? Thanks. 

Undergrad Institution: USC
Major(s): Biology - B.S Biological Science.   M.S Molecular Genetics (in Progress)
GPA in Major: 3.42
Overall GPA: 3.36 (Last 60 units: 3.6)
Position in Class: Unsure, definite upward trend through last two years. Finished freshman year with 2.8 GPA, Last 2 years 3.6. 
Type of Student: International with US Bachelors Degree 

GRE Scores (revised/):
Q:  170 (97%)
V:  162 (91%) 
W: 4.5 (82%)

Research Experience: 

3 years undergrad research experiences in 2 labs. I worked in the first lab for a summer and second lab for 2.5 years and currently a master's student there. 2 publications, one mid author, one second author. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list last 2 years at undergrad. Undergraduate research scholarship

Special Bonus Points: All three LOR writers know me pretty well, I assume strong letters from all three PIs, one of the writers was former Harvard MCB director. 

Applying to Where:

• Harvard - BBS
  • Columbia - Integrated Program. 
  • Stanford - Bioscience Cancer Biology
  • Yale- BBS
  • U Chicago- Cancer Biology
  • U Penn- CAMB Cancer Biology
  • JHU- CMM
  • Rockefeller
  • Weill Cornell- BCMB
  • MIT- Biology
  • Duke- Developmental and Stem Cell Biology
  • UCLA- Bioscience
  • UCSD- Bioscience
  • UT Southwestern
  • Vanderbilt IGP
  • Emory-Cancer Biology
  • UC Irvine- MCB
  • Northwestern- DGP
  • USC-PIBBS

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Does anyone know if Yale BBS has send out all their interview invites? What about Harvard BBS, I've seen people here saying Harvard BBS sent out all invites today already? 

Anyone heard back from Duke developmental and stem cell biology?  

10 minutes ago, Budeer said:

Hey guys, I'm applying to many schools but I'm not sure about my chances at all. It's already 12/15 and I haven't heard back from any schools yet. I'm extremely nervous right now.  Could anybody give some feedback? Thanks. 

Undergrad Institution: USC
Major(s): Biology - B.S Biological Science.   M.S Molecular Genetics (in Progress)
GPA in Major: 3.42
Overall GPA: 3.36 (Last 60 units: 3.6)
Position in Class: Unsure, definite upward trend through last two years. Finished freshman year with 2.8 GPA, Last 2 years 3.6. 
Type of Student: International with US Bachelors Degree 

GRE Scores (revised/):
Q:  170 (97%)
V:  162 (91%) 
W: 4.5 (82%)

Research Experience: 

3 years undergrad research experiences in 2 labs. I worked in the first lab for a summer and second lab for 2.5 years and currently a master's student there. 2 publications, one mid author, one second author. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list last 2 years at undergrad. Undergraduate research scholarship

Special Bonus Points: All three LOR writers know me pretty well, I assume strong letters from all three PIs, one of the writers was former Harvard MCB director. 

Applying to Where:

• Harvard - BBS
  • Columbia - Integrated Program. 
  • Stanford - Bioscience Cancer Biology
  • Yale- BBS
  • U Chicago- Cancer Biology
  • U Penn- CAMB Cancer Biology
  • JHU- CMM
  • Rockefeller
  • Weill Cornell- BCMB
  • MIT- Biology
  • Duke- Developmental and Stem Cell Biology
  • UCLA- Bioscience
  • UCSD- Bioscience
  • UT Southwestern
  • Vanderbilt IGP
  • Emory-Cancer Biology
  • UC Irvine- MCB
  • Northwestern- DGP
  • USC-PIBBS

Thanks for any and all feedback!

I think your stats look good so I hope you hear from someplace soon!  I also applied to Northwestern DGP and haven't heard back yet, but looking at past results, it seems they don't send invites until right before the holidays.  I would suspect if we do hear back from them it will be early next week.