2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

1 hour ago, factanonverba said:

FYI, I applied to Stanford Biosciences Cancer Biology, and I got an invite just yesterday afternoon (4:30pm Pacific time), so it is likely that they just started sending out invites. It could be coming soon!

Thank you! That’s good to know!

2 minutes ago, Wall7213 said:

Has anyone heard anything from UT Austin Microbiology?  That's the last program I'm waiting to hear back from, and I was very interested in their program...

Same. I haven't seen anything on the results page and the application status has been "In review" since like mid-December.

10 minutes ago, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

Just got an interview invite for UNC BBSP for Feb. 1-3! Also got another invite from University of North Texas Health Science Center too! :)

Oh wow!  Congrats!  That's great news :)

13 minutes ago, NeuroNYC said:

Anyone who has been invited to interview at Mount Sinai receive a more detailed itinerary/ list of confirmed faculty interviewers? Thanks! :) 

I was interviewed at the previous session and didn't receive the list of interviewers until two days prior. I would suggest starting preparing according to the list you gave them as I got all of my interviewers from that list. 

4 minutes ago, JacquelineY said:

I was interviewed at the previous session and didn't receive the list of interviewers until two days prior. I would suggest starting preparing according to the list you gave them as I got all of my interviewers from that list. 

Thanks Jacqueline! My interview is set for Thursday so that's why I was curious as to when they would get in touch. Hope your interview went well!

17 minutes ago, JacquelineY said:

Beware that isn't always the case. I interviewed with them last monday/tuesday and got none of the people from my list. Instead I had the program director and two people doing research fully unrelated to my field (One did liver disease, the other cancer; I study neurodegenerative diseases) Just be super flexible. They obviously didn't expect me to be an expert in their field. They just asked about the methodology and thought process behind why and how you did your research. It more felt like they were testing how I thought compared to other interviews I've had with people within my field who more strongly test what I know. 

5 minutes ago, CaliforniaRunnerKid said:

Beware that isn't always the case. I interviewed with them last monday/tuesday and got none of the people from my list. Instead I had the program director and two people doing research fully unrelated to my field (One did liver disease, the other cancer; I study neurodegenerative diseases) Just be super flexible. They obviously didn't expect me to be an expert in their field. They just asked about the methodology and thought process behind why and how you did your research. It more felt like they were testing how I thought compared to other interviews I've had with people within my field who more strongly test what I know. 

Fair point. I just felt two days are a short amount of time to prepare for an interview, especially if you were in the middle of another interview when they finally gave you the notice like I was... I guess know your stuff well and quickly catch up on the interviewers' research after you get the list would be a good strategy. I also wish they could just tell us earlier.

1 hour ago, JacquelineY said:

I heard nothing. Let me know if you end up "bothering them" and what they say:)

I didn't receive any other emails, but I did receive a package in the mail with a schedule, print out of the invitation to interview email, and a bunch of booklets describing the graduate program and research at Rockefeller.

4 hours ago, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

Just got an interview invite for UNC BBSP for Feb. 1-3! Also got another invite from University of North Texas Health Science Center too! :)

Congrats!!!! Which program did you apply to for UNTHSC? 

23 hours ago, Some violinist said:

Nice, finally another MIT microbiology applicant! Kudos to the visual arts, by the way!

Thanks! Which interview date are you going for? And do you know anything about the stats of how many acceptances they give out vs. how many interviews?

I haven't been able to find out much abut this program (probably since it's pretty small), but I'm really excited about it! Good luck to both of us!

3 hours ago, LiaLuver said:

Congrats!!!! Which program did you apply to for UNTHSC? 

I applied to the Biochemistry & Cancer Biology Ph.D. program at UNTHSC. Hopefully, none of my professors are on gradcafe. If there are, they probably know who I am. I am actually a Masters student in the cell biology, immunology, and microbiology graduate program at UNTHSC. I am about to finish my Master's here and about to defend my thesis in early April. I am mixed in with the Ph.D. students. UNTHSC has an excellent Ph.D. program in all areas. Did you apply to UNTHSC as well? Which program? If you like to know more about UNTHSC, labs, and programs here or have any questions about UNTHSC, feel free to PM me! 

1 hour ago, mochamocha73 said:

Thanks! Which interview date are you going for? And do you know anything about the stats of how many acceptances they give out vs. how many interviews?

I haven't been able to find out much abut this program (probably since it's pretty small), but I'm really excited about it! Good luck to both of us!

I signed up for the first date! And no, I’m not sure how many they accept, although I don’t see any post-interview rejections in the results section, just wait-lists and acceptances... I’ve heard great things about the program, I know a few people in there and the environment seems great. I think the flexibility of rotating through labs across different departments (everything from Physics to the Media Lab!) and the option of having two advisors is pretty interesting. Definitely one of my top choices!

Edited by Some violinist

Has anyone here heard from the following schools/dept?

UC Berkeley - MCB

UC Davis - BMCDB

Columbia - Micro & Immuno

NYU Sackler - Biomed 

UMiami - Micro & Immuno

UMaryland (Baltimore) - GPILS, Molecular Micro & Immuno

UFlorida - Biomed, Biochem & Molecular Bio

I am an international student (currently in US) and was not sure if they contact international students last because they assume it will only be a skype interview. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! 

PS. Good luck to those with upcoming interviews. 

29 minutes ago, ElleEmme said:

UC Berkeley - MCB

UC Davis - BMCDB

NYU Sackler - Biomed 

UMiami - Micro & Immuno

I am an international student (currently in US) and was not sure if they contact international students last because they assume it will only be a skype interview. 

I have interviews at Columbia and NYU. Still waiting on Cal. Didn't apply to the others

2 hours ago, ElleEmme said:

UC Berkeley - MCB

UC Davis - BMCDB

NYU Sackler - Biomed 

UMiami - Micro & Immuno

I’m a domestic student and applied to UMiami for Biochem and Molecular Bio and UMBC BioSciences and haven’t heard anything back yet.