2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

44 minutes ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

How does UTSW compare to BCM in Houston?

A grad student and a post-doc in my lab both interviewed at Baylor, I think their general impression was that Baylor is a more challenging program, in terms of things like classwork. I think the general impression is that UTSW has more research and publications, but it might be biased, because the people I asked work or are students here. 

3 hours ago, hurryskurry said:

A grad student and a post-doc in my lab both interviewed at Baylor, I think their general impression was that Baylor is a more challenging program, in terms of things like classwork. I think the general impression is that UTSW has more research and publications, but it might be biased, because the people I asked work or are students here. 

I’m also interviewing at UTSW in a couple weeks. I’m also curious about the reputation of UTSW in general. My research interests are cancer or stem cell biology. I have never heard of UTSW before I applied ( forgive my ignorance, I’m not from the US).  I applied to UTSW only because I saw many labs there are doing interesting research, I have no idea how good the institution is or how it’s perceived nationally or internationally. I’m just wondering if UTSW is considered a prestigious institution, if so, at what level it is compare to other institutions in the nation? Is it considered the same level with Harvard, MIT, Stanford, UCSF etc. in terms of research. Or is it at a lower tier? Is UTSW a widely recognized brand in the research field internationally? Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Budeer said:

I’m also interviewing at UTSW in a couple weeks. I’m also curious about the reputation of UTSW in general. My research interests are cancer or stem cell biology. I have never heard of UTSW before I applied ( forgive my ignorance, I’m not from the US).  I applied to UTSW only because I saw many labs there are doing interesting research, I have no idea how good the institution is or how it’s perceived nationally or internationally. I’m just wondering if UTSW is considered a prestigious institution, if so, at what level it is compare to other institutions in the nation? Is it considered the same level with Harvard, MIT, Stanford, UCSF etc. in terms of research. Or is it at a lower tier? Is UTSW a widely recognized brand in the research field internationally? Thank you! 

I believe that in biomedical research UTSW is generally regarded favorably. It is probably considered the next lower tier. Those schools are what like generally regarded as top 10 schools whereas UTSW is a top 20. UTSW doesn't have undergraduates so there's going to be less name recognition.

Are there any PIs in particular you're interested in?

Edited by hurryskurry

2 hours ago, hurryskurry said:

I believe that in biomedical research UTSW is generally regarded favorably. It is probably considered the next lower tier. Those schools are what like generally regarded as top 10 schools whereas UTSW is a top 20. UTSW doesn't have undergraduates so there's going to be less name recognition.

Are there any PIs in particular you're interested in?

Thank you for the insight. I'm mostly interested in cancer, stem cell and aging. PIs I'm interested in are Jerry Shay, Woodring Wright, John Abrams, Sean Morrison etc. 

19 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Official rejection from UNC BBSP via email. It was pretty obvious I wasn't getting an interview so I'm in no way surprised. 

On to the next one! 

Same here. It was my top choice, but also the most prestigious school I applied to, so maybe I reached too high. 

I'm honestly glad they at least give out official rejections unlike some programs. 

14 hours ago, Budeer said:

UTSW is a well respected research institution for medicine and basic sciences in the US, especially in Texas region. It would be on par with other top 20 schools.

If you're interested in cancer research, Memorial Sloan Kettering/ Weill Cornell in NYC is a great option. MD Anderson UTHealth in Houston is another strong player in cancer research. I know that Baylor College of Medicine does a lot of collaboration with MD Anderson Cancer Center as well. Generally, anyone in the Houston Texas Medical Center doing cancer research will be wanting to collaborate with MD Anderson for the expertise in cancer for both basic research and translational clinical trials.

Obviously this is all anecdotal and take it with a grain of salt. My opinion will be slightly biased given that I did a clinical observership with the dept. of leukemia and stem cell research at MD Anderson and Baylor is one of my top choices. My bf interviewed at UTSW last month for their school of medicine and said he really enjoyed it. The faculty were welcoming and the facilities are top notch, right in downtown Dallas.

5 minutes ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

UTSW is a well respected research institution for medicine and basic sciences in the US, especially in Texas region. It would be on par with other top 20 schools.

If you're interested in cancer research, Memorial Sloan Kettering/ Weill Cornell in NYC is a great option. MD Anderson UTHealth in Houston is another strong player in cancer research. I know that Baylor College of Medicine does a lot of collaboration with MD Anderson Cancer Center as well. Generally, anyone in the Houston Texas Medical Center doing cancer research will be wanting to collaborate with MD Anderson for the expertise in cancer for both basic research and translational clinical trials.

Obviously this is all anecdotal and take it with a grain of salt. My opinion will be slightly biased given that I did a clinical observership with the dept. of leukemia and stem cell research at MD Anderson and Baylor is one of my top choices. My bf interviewed at UTSW last month for their school of medicine and said he really enjoyed it. The faculty were welcoming and the facilities are top notch, right in downtown Dallas.

Thanks a lot for your valuable insight. I know UTSW has a stellar medical School and some of their Residency/Fellowship programs are among the top 10 in the country. It is great to know that their biomedical research is well-regarded as well. Hope the interview goes well.

18 minutes ago, Bouton said:

Anyone else not get an interview or rejection from UNC BBSP?  Would appreciate at least some closure, as I am waiting in limbo land on 4 programs with ~Dec 1 application deadlines.

My email did not go into my main inbox, it went into a different folder because I use gmail. If you have multiple folders or a spam folder I would check there. 

23 minutes ago, Bouton said:

Anyone else not get an interview or rejection from UNC BBSP?  Would appreciate at least some closure, as I am waiting in limbo land on 4 programs with ~Dec 1 application deadlines.

Same here--checked my spam/promotions/application profile, and there's nothing.

For those who applied to Boston U PiBS, anyone received invitations? and if so, when? 

Also is NYU Sackler - microbiology track done sending out invitations? I think interviews started but I know others who are still waiting like me..

Anyone else not heard for an interview or a reject from UWashington neuro? 

I keep seeing rejections on the results page, and I know people have gotten interviews, but I'm sitting on dead silence. Someone I talked to at my interview last weekend said she had a POI there who told her results and invites were still being sent out in early Feb. but if I remember correctly they have recruitment days in early Feb? 

On 1/29/2018 at 3:39 PM, kalixxxx said:

Did anyone go to the Weill Cornell interview week in January. Do you mind sharing how it went? 

Hi @kalixxxx! It was a really chill interview visit. I talked to 4 PIs (the first one was surprisingly formal in that she had printed out a list of questions and took notes on my responses, but the rest were very casual conversations). Dress code was what I'd consider to be "business casual" -- I wore a dress and a cardigan for interview day and jeans + sweater for other events, and that seemed about middle-of-the-road formality-wise. They have a good range of events to connect interviewees with current students and faculty (including departmental dinners and "cultural events" including off-broadway shows and opera). Also, they got back to us SUPER fast: I got my acceptance letter exactly a week after the interview. PM me if you have any other specific questions! What program are you going for? 

9 hours ago, NeuroKat111 said:

I got an interview late December and the two interview events listed are for next week. I don't think they're having any other interview events...?

1 hour ago, Robbinah said:

The second interview weekend has already passed I believe they are done

Thanks, both of you! I was 99.9% sure that was the case. Not too hurt since they weren't a top choice for my interests looking back. Best of luck on your interviews!!! 

20 hours ago, PandI said:

For those who applied to Boston U PiBS, anyone received invitations? and if so, when? 

Also is NYU Sackler - microbiology track done sending out invitations? I think interviews started but I know others who are still waiting like me..

I am in the same boat as you regarding NYU sackler and Berkeley MCB. I know interview invites have been sent out, however it has been radio silence for me. 

Also reached out via e-mail to the departments to see if I can check on my status - no reply yet. It sure is nerve wrecking.  I am fighting every power in me to assume its a rejection, so lets hope we  might still have a chance.  

21 hours ago, PandI said:

I got my PiBS invite right before Christmas. Interview's next week.

Second acceptance from Boston College! Received an informal email from a professor I've been in contact with about their offer and that I've been nominated for a fellowship (which provides a hefty bonus to my stipend for five years).

Good luck to those going to the upcoming interview weekend! 

Edited by siliconchins
typo

On 1/27/2018 at 2:35 AM, olans said:

To this poster, have you gotten reply from Penn state.

I have been invited to the interview weekend for Penn State. I got that email on 1/10/18 from the department head.

I have gotten official acceptance from Ohio State and unofficial acceptance from a professor at Colorado State.

good luck.