2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

7 minutes ago, MeTooThanks said:

I also have not heard back from UNC BBSP. I didn't submit until the final deadline (12/5) so maybe that plays a part in it? I am also waiting to hear back from UCSD BMS and Columbia CMBS. Are these looking like rejections?

One of my coworkers submit by the early deadline and has heard nothing, another submit by the late deadline and got an interview, and I submit by the early one and just got a rejection yesterday so...seems like everything is up in the air at this point.

Hi everyone!

I've just got a rejection from NYU Sackler. 

I wonder if there is anyone heard back from Brown MCB or Columbia Biological Science (GSAS).

My application was transferred to my second choice of program Molecular and Cellular Biology at Baylor College of Medicine, but ı haven't heard after that. My application is still under review. 

I also haven't heard back from UNC BBSP, ı assume it will be rejection. 

On 1/29/2018 at 3:53 PM, gaga1994 said:

Did anyone who interviewed at Harvard BBS this last weekend ask when we can expect interview decisions? Or anyone who works in the program now?

Likely next Monday or Tuesday. Last year, we received notice of admission roughly 9-10 days after the last day of the interview weekend. You may receive a phone call from a faculty member (potentially earlier), just a letter, or both. 

Edited by jeanetics17

25 minutes ago, jeanetics17 said:

Likely next Monday or Tuesday. Last year, we received notice of admission roughly 9-10 days after the last day of the interview weekend. You may receive a phone call from a faculty member (potentially earlier), just a letter, or both. 

Thanks a lot! Fingers crossed

UNC Chapel Hill BBSP must be sending out their second day's worth of rejections. I just got mine a half an hour or so ago.

2 hours ago, Bio_123 said:

Hi everyone!

I've just got a rejection from NYU Sackler. 

I wonder if there is anyone heard back from Brown MCB or Columbia Biological Science (GSAS).

My application was transferred to my second choice of program Molecular and Cellular Biology at Baylor College of Medicine, but ı haven't heard after that. My application is still under review. 

I also haven't heard back from UNC BBSP, ı assume it will be rejection. 

Exactly my query with Columbia Cell and Molecular Biology (GSAS). Their application deadline was January 5th,so I was wondering anyone received interviews from them?

2 hours ago, Otinogonnyo said:

Exactly my query with Columbia Cell and Molecular Biology (GSAS). Their application deadline was January 5th,so I was wondering anyone received interviews from them?

& @Otinogonnyo 

I looked at the results posted here, and it seems like one person posted they got an interview as of yesterday for biological sciences.

I emailed them since I hadn't heard anything from them, and received this 

"Ph.D. decisions will be sent out by the end of March, with M.A. decisions following later in the spring. When a decision has been made, you will receive an email notification instructing you to log in to your application to view the decision"

Edit: their website says interviews take place in late January and early March, so I'm guessing the email was referring to final decisions following interviews. Since I haven't heard anything else from them, I'm assuming I didn't get in!

Edited by TrashPanda

4 hours ago, Bouton said:

^ Is your Emory interview next week or later in Feb? :)

It's later! The last weekend in February, actually.

8 hours ago, ms123456 said:

I have been invited to the interview weekend for Penn State. I got that email on 1/10/18 from the department head.

I have gotten official acceptance from Ohio State and unofficial acceptance from a professor at Colorado State.

good luck.

Did you apply to the Ohio State Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program? I was at the OSU BSGP interview earlier in January and am already accepted into OSU too. Just wondering if you were in my interview group. lol. 

Edited by ChallengerSwimmer23

20 minutes ago, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

Did you apply to the Ohio State Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program? I was at the OSU BSGP interview earlier in January and am already accepted into OSU too. Just wondering if you were in my interview group. lol. 

No, I applied for plant pathology. One professor has been aggressively recruiting me. My background aligns well with his. Apparently there was stuff in my letters of recommendation that he really liked. He’s a great professor. Accepted early, because he is forwarding my application for a couple of fellowships. It’s dependent on whether I can get awarded the funding. 

9 hours ago, bft06 said:

Anyone heard from Northeastern biomed? I think they are sending out invitations for open house weekend? 

Yes, I've got the open house invitation too. Just wonder if the open house event is related to application..

On 31/1/2018 at 3:36 AM, eevee said:

Hi @kalixxxx! It was a really chill interview visit. I talked to 4 PIs (the first one was surprisingly formal in that she had printed out a list of questions and took notes on my responses, but the rest were very casual conversations). Dress code was what I'd consider to be "business casual" -- I wore a dress and a cardigan for interview day and jeans + sweater for other events, and that seemed about middle-of-the-road formality-wise. They have a good range of events to connect interviewees with current students and faculty (including departmental dinners and "cultural events" including off-broadway shows and opera). Also, they got back to us SUPER fast: I got my acceptance letter exactly a week after the interview. PM me if you have any other specific questions! What program are you going for? 

Thanks for the response and congratulations on your offer! That's amazing (: Is Cornell your top choice or would you rather wait and see how the rest of your interviews go? I really hope they respond quickly after the interview since I am desperately trying to extend some of the offers I got from universities in the UK ;p Good to know they respond quickly (: I am applying for dev bio but since some of the faculty I wanted to interview with are unavailable, I will be interviewing with 2 PIs from cell and cancer biology. Did the PIs expect you to know a lot about their research or was it more of a generic interview? 

Edited by kalixxxx

14 hours ago, TrashPanda said:

& @Otinogonnyo 

I looked at the results posted here, and it seems like one person posted they got an interview as of yesterday for biological sciences.

I emailed them since I hadn't heard anything from them, and received this 

"Ph.D. decisions will be sent out by the end of March, with M.A. decisions following later in the spring. When a decision has been made, you will receive an email notification instructing you to log in to your application to view the decision"

Edit: their website says interviews take place in late January and early March, so I'm guessing the email was referring to final decisions following interviews. Since I haven't heard anything else from them, I'm assuming I didn't get in!

Sigh!! Another one bites the dust!!

Thanks for the information Trashpanda!!

So far I received admissions from all three places that I've interviewed and got into my one of my top choices. I'm already so content about my application season but also wish the future interviews would go well :) (I plan to turn down offers in the middle of March as by then all the interviews and open house are done. Hope it won't be too late for people on the waitlist.)

7 hours ago, kalixxxx said:

Thanks for the response and congratulations on your offer! That's amazing (: Is Cornell your top choice or would you rather wait and see how the rest of your interviews go? I really hope they respond quickly after the interview since I am desperately trying to extend some of the offers I got from universities in the UK ;p Good to know they respond quickly (: I am applying for dev bio but since some of the faculty I wanted to interview with are unavailable, I will be interviewing with 2 PIs from cell and cancer biology. Did the PIs expect you to know a lot about their research or was it more of a generic interview? 

I'm trying not to rank anything until I have multiple offers and can try to weight things like cost of living vs stipend and other 'secondary' factors like that :P They'll almost certainly respond as quickly or even faster for you since you're the second weekend! The PIs didn't expect me to know ANYTHING about their research but seemed pleasantly surprised when I asked a question based on their lab website / abstracts I'd read online, so I'd do at least a little bit of prep work, and for the ones you specifically wanted to interview with, be able to say why you requested them. Best of luck!!! 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:00 AM, kshrestha said:

Hi All,

I am a bit nervous about my application as I will have only worked in a chem lab and I want to go into Biochemistry or Biological sciences. I'm not sure if this will be a disadvantage for my application. I am planning on taking my GREs again in October, so hopefully that should go up. 

Undergrad Institution: Marymount University (small lib arts private school)
Major(s): Biochemistry (Honors Program)
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.6
Type of Student:  Domestic, female, minority (asian)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 152
W: 4

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Biochemistry Academic Excellence, 2016, Deans List 7/8 semesters

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research assistant for a clinical research institute and my Honors thesis was based on Bioethics.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Currently working in a government analytical chemistry lab for a year now and I am working on a project that will possibly published. Will get recommendation from supervisor, previous supervisor, and previous professor.

Applying to Where:
Indiana University (Indianapolis)

UC Davis (top 3)

NYU (top 3 / would like to go here and do their Global PhD)

University of Florida

Uni of Oregon

Schools I am not sure about:

University of Southern California

Wakeforest

UC San Diego

Emory 

Are there any other schools I should be looking into with my stats and experience? Any feedback for the schools listed? If anyone knows anything about the two different program Indiana offers, in Bloomington and Indianapolis, can you please explain the major differences with the programs? Also, any additional feedback is welcome. Thanks! 

hey....how did it go?

I got into my top choice in Madison!!!!  I'm 99.9% certain I'm going here, but I still want to at least go on the rest of my interviews (at least the ones for which a plane ticket was purchased).  Would it be bad if I waited to accept the offer in March after my last interview?  Or should I withdraw my application for the places I'm not flying out to?  I'm so excited, but I don't know what to do now!

Edited by StemCellFan