2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

Hi,

Did anyone hear anything from

1. Baylor Translational and Molecular Medicine

2. John Hopkins Cellular and Molecular Medicine (are they done sending interview invitations)

3. John Hopkins Pathobiology 9could not get any information from the coordinator office)

4. University of Pennsylvania Immunology

5. Columbia Cell and Molecular Biology

Thanks a lot,

Edited by Otinogonnyo

19 hours ago, TrashPanda said:

Thanks! I was starting to get worried about whether I'd have time to briefly read up for the faculty interviews!

Yep, and when PIBS sends out your itinerary, you will also get a separate contact from your student host. They will be there to help if you have any questions before you get to Ann Arbor.

Edited by jmillar

5 hours ago, AllieKat said:

As far as I know, the latest interview weekend they offer for IGP is 2/9 (they may have a later date, but that was the latest of four that I know of). Hope that helps and you hear something soon! Vandy's other IGP dates are 1/19, 1/26, and 2/2.

I know that the interviews go until mid-March! I rescheduled from a January date to March 9 (and may need to reschedule again because of winter weather messing up my current interview schedule). 

Does anyone know if the following schools are done sending out interviews?

1. Stanford Biosciences (Cancer Biology Track)

2. JHU Cellular and Molecular Medicine

3. U Penn CAMB

4. Weill Cornell BCMB

5. UCLA molecular & Cellular Biology

6. U Chicago Cancer Biology

7. Duke Stem Cell Biology

If anyone has any information about these above programs, could you please share with me? I've being anxiously waiting for more than a month but haven't heard back from any of these schools. Thank you for your help!

7 minutes ago, Budeer said:

3. U Penn CAMB

4. Weill Cornell BCMB

If anyone has any information about these above programs, could you please share with me? I've being anxiously waiting for more than a month but haven't heard back from any of these schools. Thank you for your help!

I believe UChicago Cancer Bio invites have already gone out as I ran into people who were invited before the holidays on some interviews.

11 minutes ago, Budeer said:

3. U Penn CAMB

4. Weill Cornell BCMB

I heard back from Duke's Developmental and Stem Cell program before the holidays. I don't know how they do their contacting for interviews, but I'd call/email just to check.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:05 PM, Some violinist said:

I signed up for the first date! And no, I’m not sure how many they accept, although I don’t see any post-interview rejections in the results section, just wait-lists and acceptances... I’ve heard great things about the program, I know a few people in there and the environment seems great. I think the flexibility of rotating through labs across different departments (everything from Physics to the Media Lab!) and the option of having two advisors is pretty interesting. Definitely one of my top choices!

Ah we have two grad students in the lab from this program. Usually the interviews are pretty chill, and the current first year students's opinions about you matters a lot, so be nice ;)  They accept around 8 people per year, and it's rolling admission. They will send invite to the first 8 students, then if any declined, they will accept next in the waitlist. It's a close-knit program that they hangout with each other all the time and they seem pretty happy in general, so you are lucky!

3 hours ago, Dycka Deshycka said:

Ah we have two grad students in the lab from this program. Usually the interviews are pretty chill, and the current first year students's opinions about you matters a lot, so be nice ;)  They accept around 8 people per year, and it's rolling admission. They will send invite to the first 8 students, then if any declined, they will accept next in the waitlist. It's a close-knit program that they hangout with each other all the time and they seem pretty happy in general, so you are lucky!

Thanks for the info! Sounds like fun, fingers crossed!

5 minutes ago, Molecular_nutrition_2018 said:

If we still didn't hear back from certain programs, can we interpret that as we are on "Waitlist"? or they are just too busy to update and hand me the rejections...Been waiting to hear back from Harvard BPH for a long time already...

Don't know specifically about BPH, but I know that for Harvard SysBio and BBS (also part of HILS along with BPH), it's a tacit rejection... :/

Has anyone heard from Stanford Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine? I tried to contact the program but "Due to the high volume of applications we are processing, we are not able to respond to individual requests concerning application status"

Edited by jlz319

43 minutes ago, jlz319 said:

Has anyone heard from Stanford Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine? I tried to contact the program but "Due to the high volume of applications we are processing, we are not able to respond to individual requests concerning application status"

Nope still waiting to hear back from them as well. I noticed some of the other Biosciences have been sending out notifications throughout the past few weeks so i'm hoping it's coming soon.

Edited by shmal96

Wow. Got a busy next three weeks ahead! Notre Dame this upcoming week, UNC BBSP next week, and MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2 weeks. I may still get more interviews coming in as well and already have an acceptance at Ohio State. I am going to have some tough decisions to make after all the interviews are done. 

On 1/18/2018 at 8:58 AM, AllieKat said:

As far as I know, the latest interview weekend they offer for IGP is 2/9 (they may have a later date, but that was the latest of four that I know of). Hope that helps and you hear something soon! Vandy's other IGP dates are 1/19, 1/26, and 2/2.

Vandy dates are 1/19, 1/26, 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/9, 3/23 and 4/6. Invites are still being sent out every Tuesday.

They probably only offered you those dates when they offered you an interview. 

2 minutes ago, Budeer said:

Oh okay, congrats! Mine is next Thursday. Do you mind sharing how the interview process went? What kinda questions did they ask? Thank you! 

Thanks! 

The whole interview weekend was really laid back. Dinner on Thursday night was with some students and faculty, and they give a short presentation about the history of the program and the area. There is a time for everyone to mingle and get to know each other, and some other icebreaker activities later on led by Steve Anderson. 

On Friday, Steve and Nick met us at the hotel and led us to breakfast and presentations about the program, after which students led us to our first interview. I met with five faculty members for 30 mins each, and they were mostly relaxed conversations. I would say that you should definitely prep a short ~5min blurb about your research interests as I was nervous for my first interview and probably would have forgotten to mention things without the prep. 

They mainly asked about my prior research experience, why I was choosing to do a PhD, and what I wanted to accomplish afterwards. It's hard to pinpoint a specific type of interview though because each faculty interview was slightly different - for example, one person I met with wanted to know how my research interests meshed with his work, and gave me some hypothetical situations to gauge my response. I would say the best prep for this kind of thing would be to read the research on each person you're meeting (info I got maybe  2 days before the actual interviews) and maybe some abstracts of recently published papers. I wouldn't go much beyond that though, because they don't really expect you to know the specifics about what they do, and won't "test" you on your knowledge. They just want to make sure you can speak intelligently about your previous work and about science in general. 

35 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Thanks! 

The whole interview weekend was really laid back. Dinner on Thursday night was with some students and faculty, and they give a short presentation about the history of the program and the area. There is a time for everyone to mingle and get to know each other, and some other icebreaker activities later on led by Steve Anderson. 

On Friday, Steve and Nick met us at the hotel and led us to breakfast and presentations about the program, after which students led us to our first interview. I met with five faculty members for 30 mins each, and they were mostly relaxed conversations. I would say that you should definitely prep a short ~5min blurb about your research interests as I was nervous for my first interview and probably would have forgotten to mention things without the prep. 

They mainly asked about my prior research experience, why I was choosing to do a PhD, and what I wanted to accomplish afterwards. It's hard to pinpoint a specific type of interview though because each faculty interview was slightly different - for example, one person I met with wanted to know how my research interests meshed with his work, and gave me some hypothetical situations to gauge my response. I would say the best prep for this kind of thing would be to read the research on each person you're meeting (info I got maybe  2 days before the actual interviews) and maybe some abstracts of recently published papers. I wouldn't go much beyond that though, because they don't really expect you to know the specifics about what they do, and won't "test" you on your knowledge. They just want to make sure you can speak intelligently about your previous work and about science in general. 

Thank you so much for the info! Do you think it’s okay if I bring a notebook with me in case I forget to say something or just to write down a couple sentences about each interviewer’s research? Also, is there a specific dress code? How formal should you wear? Thank you! 

Edited by Budeer