2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

11 hours ago, daauni said:

Is anyone interviewing at Columbia? I’m going in February but the travel agency made it sound like there’s a January weekend too. Just wondering in case anyone could provide some insight before I go. 

Is it the Columbia GSAS Cell and Molecular Biology Program?

17 hours ago, Molecular_nutrition_2018 said:

My interview at Columbia is at 2/16 and thats the only choice I got, hope it helps

One of my schools only gave me only one option for an interview date even though they have a second recruitment weekend. Doesnt mean anything.

Finally caved and made an account on this site, hoping it will give me something to do besides waiting...

Late to the game, but here goes:

Undergrad Institution: US News Top 5, known for being rigorous
Major(s): Biological Sciences and Visual Arts
GPA in Major: 3.44
Overall GPA: 3.65
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic, Female
GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163
V: 170
W: 5.5
Research Experience: Summer internship at Argonne National Lab in microbial ecology, summer internship at the Marine Biological Lab (SURF), undergraduate research volunteer in marine biology lab, wrote undergraduate thesis for B.S., currently full-time research technician at a microbiology/microbiome lab
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Grant given to top 10% of incoming undergraduate class (merit-based), lots of visual arts awards (my other major)
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for a biology core class for 2 quarters, leadership positions on campus student research journal
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: First author publication, but for a perspectives/review type article, presented at 2 student research conferences, ASM regional conference, and spoke at a regional conference (3 minute talk)
Special Bonus Points: Know a bunch of bioinformatics-type software (QIIME, QIIME 2, MEGA, Geneious, MATLAB, R, etc), as well as software that might be useful for graphic design for posters and such (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, HTML and CSS, Wordpress)
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Scuba diving certified, EMT certified, Mandarin speaker (bilingual), started my own small business selling art
Applying to Where:
MIT Microbiology

UCSB IGPMS

Stanford Earth Systems Science

Scripps Institute of Oceanography 

Harvard OEB

Johns Hopkins Environmental Health and Engineering

Georgia Tech Ocean Sciences and Engineering

So far, I've gotten interviews at Harvard, MIT, and UCSB. Still waiting on the rest :(

On 1/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, Cottagecheese24 said:

If anyone is curious, UC Berkeley's Molecular and & Cell Biology graduate program will be sending out recruitment invites next week on Thursday & Friday (Jan. 11-12, 2018). 

so if we didn't hear back this week do you think they finished sending that last round of invites?

Has anyone received rejections from either NYU neural science or Brown NGG?

Still waiting for UPENN psych (if anyone has info here or has been rejected let me know)

Interviews: UM Baltimore, UM College Park, Icahn School of Med (Mt. Sinai), Georgetown, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, CUNY

Rejected: Penn NGG

4 minutes ago, bdeck said:

Has anyone received rejections from either NYU neural science or Brown NGG?

Still waiting for UPENN psych (if anyone has info here or has been rejected let me know)

Interviews: UM Baltimore, UM College Park, Icahn School of Med (Mt. Sinai), Georgetown, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, CUNY

Rejected: Penn NGG

Did Penn NGG (if you mean UPenn and not Penn State) send you an actual rejection or did you call and find out?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the NSIDP neuro program at UCLA has sent out all invites? I saw a few go out last week, but not sure if that is it. I know they have two weekends, so you would think there would be more than a few invited students. Of course, I don't know how many of the prospective students use this site... 

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, jasbee said:

Did Penn NGG (if you mean UPenn and not Penn State) send you an actual rejection or did you call and find out?

Hi Jasbee, I work at UPENN and I am close to people in the department. Told me all interviews have gone out. I also received an email from the admissions coordinator. If you want to ask yourself, email Clay: http://www.med.upenn.edu/ngg/NGGExecutiveStaff.shtml

Ben

2 minutes ago, bdeck said:

Hi Jasbee, I work at UPENN and I am close to people in the department. Told me all interviews have gone out. I also received an email from the admissions coordinator. If you want to ask yourself, email Clay: http://www.med.upenn.edu/ngg/NGGExecutiveStaff.shtml

Ben

Thank you for the clarification - I was pretty positive they were done, but knowing for sure helps.

Does anyone know if Stanford Biosciences has sent out emails to those who have received an interview? I got a phone call a few weeks ago from the director of the Biophysics program, but I haven't heard back since. I'm just trying to figure out whether we are supposed to be there for the entirety of the interview session listed on the program site (Feb 28 - Mar 4). 

Undergrad Institution: Large State University 
Major(s): Genetics 
Minor(s): Biotechnology 
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 3.0
Position in Class: Average
Type of Student: Domestic, Male 

GRE Scores:
Q: 159 (73%)
V: 160 (86%) 
W: 4.5 (82%)

Research Experience: 

• 3 years as an undergraduate lab/research assistant. I worked on a plant-based CRISPR project during the school year and every summer. 
  • 6+ months of employment as a scientist in industry. I work on toxicological assay research and development. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

• Presentation Award (within university)
  • Undergraduate Research Award & Grant for $1,500 (within university) 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

• My current job, luckily enough, involves research and development in an industry setting (private company). 

Special Bonus Points:

• My LORs should be pretty great, my old PI is very successful and well-known in their field. 
  • I took a lot of Genomics/Bioinformatics courses as an undergrad, which will hopefully help me gain admission into a Genomics grad program. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Applying to Where:
North Carolina State University - Functional Genomics 

Edited by shroomish

2 hours ago, cacin96 said:

Does anyone know if Stanford Biosciences has sent out emails to those who have received an interview? I got a phone call a few weeks ago from the director of the Biophysics program, but I haven't heard back since. I'm just trying to figure out whether we are supposed to be there for the entirety of the interview session listed on the program site (Feb 28 - Mar 4). 

Also would like to know.

2 hours ago, cacin96 said:

Hey I got a call from the neuroscience program last week, and have not yet received an official email. I checked in with the program coordinator on Friday and she said that they had not sent it yet, I’m assuming it’s coming next week.

Also the POI who called me asked if I could make it for all of the dates, leading me to believe that it is all one interview session. I’m sure you could leave early if you need to. 

23 minutes ago, Baller123 said:

Hey I got a call from the neuroscience program last week, and have not yet received an official email. I checked in with the program coordinator on Friday and she said that they had not sent it yet, I’m assuming it’s coming next week.

Also the POI who called me asked if I could make it for all of the dates, leading me to believe that it is all one interview session. I’m sure you could leave early if you need to. 

Thanks!! I was starting to worry that I'd provided an incorrect email address or something. 

On 1/14/2018 at 7:58 PM, mochamocha73 said:

Finally caved and made an account on this site, hoping it will give me something to do besides waiting...

Late to the game, but here goes:

Undergrad Institution: US News Top 5, known for being rigorous
Major(s): Biological Sciences and Visual Arts
GPA in Major: 3.44
Overall GPA: 3.65
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic, Female
GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163
V: 170
W: 5.5
Research Experience: Summer internship at Argonne National Lab in microbial ecology, summer internship at the Marine Biological Lab (SURF), undergraduate research volunteer in marine biology lab, wrote undergraduate thesis for B.S., currently full-time research technician at a microbiology/microbiome lab
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Grant given to top 10% of incoming undergraduate class (merit-based), lots of visual arts awards (my other major)
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for a biology core class for 2 quarters, leadership positions on campus student research journal
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: First author publication, but for a perspectives/review type article, presented at 2 student research conferences, ASM regional conference, and spoke at a regional conference (3 minute talk)
Special Bonus Points: Know a bunch of bioinformatics-type software (QIIME, QIIME 2, MEGA, Geneious, MATLAB, R, etc), as well as software that might be useful for graphic design for posters and such (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, HTML and CSS, Wordpress)
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Scuba diving certified, EMT certified, Mandarin speaker (bilingual), started my own small business selling art
Applying to Where:
MIT Microbiology

UCSB IGPMS

Stanford Earth Systems Science

Scripps Institute of Oceanography 

Harvard OEB

Johns Hopkins Environmental Health and Engineering

Georgia Tech Ocean Sciences and Engineering

So far, I've gotten interviews at Harvard, MIT, and UCSB. Still waiting on the rest :(

Nice, finally another MIT microbiology applicant! Kudos to the visual arts, by the way!

Edited by Some violinist

Anyone know if NYU Sackler sent out rejections for Biomedical PhD? Looking at the results page here, I saw a bunch of people get interviews before Christmas but haven't seen any rejections posted. 

I haven't heard anything yet so I'm wondering if i'm on the 'wait-list' or if they just haven't gotten around to rejecting people yet :/ 

Does anyone know if the following schools are done sending out interviews?

1. Stanford Biosciences (Cancer Biology Track)

2. JHU Cellular and Molecular Medicine

3. U Penn CAMB

4. Weill Cornell BCMB

5. UCLA molecular & Cellular Biology

6. U Chicago Cancer Biology

7. Duke Stem Cell Biology

If anyone has any information about these above programs, could you please share with me? I've being anxiously waiting for more than a month but haven't heard back from any of these schools. Thank you for your help!

6 hours ago, Budeer said:

3. U Penn CAMB

4. Weill Cornell BCMB

If anyone has any information about these above programs, could you please share with me? I've being anxiously waiting for more than a month but haven't heard back from any of these schools. Thank you for your help!

Someone on this thread mentioned that UChicago cancer bio hadn't sent out invites yet, but I ran into someone this past weekend at an interview event that already received an interview invite before the holidays. I'm not sure whether they are completely done or still reviewing applications. 

8 hours ago, Budeer said:

3. U Penn CAMB

4. Weill Cornell BCMB

FYI, I applied to Stanford Biosciences Cancer Biology, and I got an invite just yesterday afternoon (4:30pm Pacific time), so it is likely that they just started sending out invites. It could be coming soon!