2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

12 minutes ago, Budeer said:

Thank you so much for the info! Do you think it’s okay if I bring a notebook with me in case I forget to say something or just to write down a couple sentences about each interviewer’s research? Also, is there a specific dress code? How formal should you wear? Thank you! 

I brought a notebook with me to take notes. I didn't actually write anything during the interview but I wrote some bullets right after so I didn't forget anything. There isn't a specific dress code, but they do say casual on their website. They mention that jeans are very acceptable, but most of guys there (including me) wore some nice slacks and a sweater. There were a few people with sports coats or wearing suits, but I thought that was too formal for the tone of the weekend. The women wore nice pants and blouse or a button up. Just remember that it's winter in Chicago, so dress accordingly! 

3 hours ago, siliconchins said:

Accepted to Northwestern DGP! Very excited!

Congrats! Did they say anything about how many people they are accepting from each weekend or how many people they are interviewing this year? I am attending their last interview weekend and am nervous they will have most of their spots filled by then.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, ks414 said:

Congrats! Did they say anything about how many people they are accepting from each weekend or how many people they are interviewing this year? I am attending their last interview weekend and am nervous they will have most of their spots filled by then.

They didn't mention anything about the specifics for this year, but talking to some faculty it seems that they tend to interview between 80-85 people and offer admission to ~75 with the goal to matriculate a class of 25-30 students. Here is the data for the past few years if you're interested (http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documents/program-statistics/L20PH_adm_enr.pdf). 

I wouldn't worry about being in the last interview weekend, as each seem to be pretty independent of each other and there isn't a max number of people that they admit. 

On 1/20/2018 at 1:56 PM, jlz319 said:

Has anyone heard from Stanford Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine? I tried to contact the program but "Due to the high volume of applications we are processing, we are not able to respond to individual requests concerning application status"

Just got an email today about my application status being updated on the website...generic rejection letter :/ 

28 minutes ago, Yonster said:

Does anyone know if Princeton Mol Bio has sent out all of their invitations? There doesn't seem to be more than a couple of data points in the results page. Thanks!

I heard back before the holidays and their interview date is 2/1.

1 hour ago, neuronerd123 said:

Has anyone heard from BU GPN yet??

Nope, still waiting. Unsure of how they schedule out compared to other years, but I would say in the past it's been the last week of January, and we still have some time left!

2 hours ago, RI290 said:

Nope, still waiting. Unsure of how they schedule out compared to other years, but I would say in the past it's been the last week of January, and we still have some time left!

3 hours ago, neuronerd123 said:

Has anyone heard from BU GPN yet??

Someone posted on the neuro thread that they sent out invites?? but there are no posts on the results page?? and they usually send out on a Monday so idk it's weird. I'm waiting too

2 hours ago, neuropolis said:

Someone posted on the neuro thread that they sent out invites?? but there are no posts on the results page?? and they usually send out on a Monday so idk it's weird. I'm waiting too

BU  GPN or behavioral neuro? They're different and that post doesn't specify anything.

Edited by BabyScientist

13 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

BU  GPN or behavioral neuro? They're different and that post doesn't specify anything.

For interviews, what was the attire of the male applicants? I figured that khakis/chinos and a button down with some leather shoes are the standard but did some wear blazers/sports jackets or go without?

2 hours ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

For interviews, what was the attire of the male applicants? I figured that khakis/chinos and a button down with some leather shoes are the standard but did some wear blazers/sports jackets or go without?

I wore a sweater+sports jacket+chinos for my interviews, but ended up taking off the jacket halfway through my interviews because it was too warm. I didn't feel underdressed in chinos and a sweater. There was a range from chinos+button ups to full suits. I'd err on going a bit overdressed than under, so take that as you will

3 hours ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

I saw anywhere between full suits on the dressy end and just a button down shirt with nice slacks on the more casual end.  I didn't see any khakis at mine last weekend.  There was a healthy mix of sweaters with button-downs also.  Most took off their blazers eventually because it was too warm indoors.  

Edited by StemCellFan

6 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Does anyone know how many GRFP awards will be offered this year? The solicitation still lists ~2000 offers as it has been in the past, but I recently heard that there may only be ~1000 this year due to a decrease in funding.

We may not really know until awards are made. However, on page 7 of this document that came out in December ( https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45009.pdf ) it says they requested a budget that would support 1,000 new fellows. This is also seen on page three of this document: https://www.nsf.gov/about/budget/fy2018/pdf/46_fy2018.pdf

34 minutes ago, jmillar said:

We may not really know until awards are made. However, on page 7 of this document that came out in December ( https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45009.pdf ) it says they requested a budget that would support 1,000 new fellows. This is also seen on page three of this document: https://www.nsf.gov/about/budget/fy2018/pdf/46_fy2018.pdf

Yikes! That's a big drop. Guess it's not surprising considering that the last program solicitation update was in 2016.