2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

2 hours ago, StemCellFan said:

I saw anywhere between full suits on the dressy end and just a button down shirt with nice slacks on the more casual end.  I didn't see any khakis at mine last weekend.  There was a healthy mix of sweaters with button-downs also.  Most took off their blazers eventually because it was too warm indoors.  

2 hours ago, Yonster said:

I wore a sweater+sports jacket+chinos for my interviews, but ended up taking off the jacket halfway through my interviews because it was too warm. I didn't feel underdressed in chinos and a sweater. There was a range from chinos+button ups to full suits. I'd err on going a bit overdressed than under, so take that as you will

Thanks for the input!

Just had first interview over Skype with UVM, I think it went well? Really fun/welcoming faculty and got some great feedback from one of the current students. Seems like a small but supportive program. 

Heading out to Ann Arbor tomorrow afternoon for PIBS interview weekend. Will I see anyone else there? I've been corresponding with my student host and she's been extremely nice and helpful. And 4 of my 5 faculty interviews are with profs who were very high up on my POI list, so I'm hoping having research interests in common will make the interviews flow well. 

Getting super nervous and imposter-syndome-y, especially only having 3 interviews with dead silence from all my other apps. This is a weird process and I can't figure out for the life of me why some of these programs have decided I'm worth interviewing vs. someone else equally qualified. Aaaaahh. :wacko: 

1 hour ago, siliconchins said:

Yikes! That's a big drop. Guess it's not surprising considering that the last program solicitation update was in 2016.

For additional information and solidarity as April approaches, this topic may be of interest to you: 

9 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Just had first interview over Skype with UVM, I think it went well? Really fun/welcoming faculty and got some great feedback from one of the current students. Seems like a small but supportive program. 

Heading out to Ann Arbor tomorrow afternoon for PIBS interview weekend. Will I see anyone else there? I've been corresponding with my student host and she's been extremely nice and helpful. And 4 of my 5 faculty interviews are with profs who were very high up on my POI list, so I'm hoping having research interests in common will make the interviews flow well. 

Getting super nervous and imposter-syndome-y, especially only having 3 interviews with dead silence from all my other apps. This is a weird process and I can't figure out for the life of me why some of these programs have decided I'm worth interviewing vs. someone else equally qualified. Aaaaahh. :wacko: 

Congrats on the interview! I was pretty nervous going into my first interview and I found that a combination of exercise and re-characterizing my nerves as excitement really helped (I'm the kind of person that can't sit still when there is something like this coming up). Also remember that most of the people visiting with you are also feeling the same way! 

One of my mentors warned me that a lot of people feel inadequate during the admissions process - just remember that your worth as a person isn't defined by the number of interviews you get as they only have a fraction of who you are to base their decision off of. 

33 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Honestly I feel like so many people are equally qualified for a program that there is a bit of randomness in who gets past the initial stage. You win some, you lose some. It also highly depends on the personalities of the committee, who may be looking for x, y, or z in a candidate and they are trying to glean that information from the limited data they are given. 

4 hours ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

Thanks for the input!

I think a perfect balance is dress pants + button down (tie optional) + sweater/blazer. A full suit will be too dressy some places whereas anything less than that may risk being a bit too casual. Also: This is only for interview day! Any other day you should be casual, but still nicely dressed.

I have a quick follow up question for women's interview clothing.  I have back to back interviews this weekend (Friday and then Monday) and won't have enough time to wash my blazer.  Would wearing a cardigan as a substitute with same color slacks be interview appropriate?  I don't remember seeing anyone wearing a cardigan last weekend at the interview.

3 hours ago, StemCellFan said:

I have a quick follow up question for women's interview clothing.  I have back to back interviews this weekend (Friday and then Monday) and won't have enough time to wash my blazer.  Would wearing a cardigan as a substitute with same color slacks be interview appropriate?  I don't remember seeing anyone wearing a cardigan last weekend at the interview.

Can you wear your blazer twice? Additionally, if you are from the States (or a western country in general i believe), H&M has VERY cheap blazers- like 12-15$. Might be a good backup.

On 11/27/2017 at 2:27 AM, ms123456 said:

Undergrad Institution: R1 Public Ranked 11 in the field
Major(s): Bioenvironemental Science
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major: 3.89
Overall GPA:3.54
Position in Class: I have no Idea.
Type of Student: Female/Minority

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:151 (totally spaced leaving 7 questions left in the first section when time ran out) Practice tests were in the 160s
V:157
W:4.0

Research Experience: 

Research: 2 years plant pathology research with an independent project, currently working as a research tech at a pharmaceutical company (1.5 years)

Posters: Presented posters at two events.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Cum Laude, Undergraduate Research Scholar, BESC Undergraduate Research Fellow, Deans list, Distinguished Student, Undergraduate Honors Thesis.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: A student worker in Plant Pathology lab for 2.5 years (different from the lab I did research in).

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Head of the department writing a LOR has worked with several of the professors I am interested in.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Worked full time throughout college 40-55+ hours a week holding management position for a very profitable busy fast food business while usually working minimal hours in a lab as well.

Applying to Where:

Penn State - Plant pathology PhD- Phytobiome/biocontrol/biogeochemistry
Ohio State - Plant Pathology MS/PhD - Phytobiome
Colorado State - Plant Pathology PhD - Phytobiome

Texas A&M- MS Plant Pathology MS- Biocontrol

I have had contact with several professors during this process that seem to be actively interested. I am hoping for decent funding even though my profile is not super strong. Not quite sure where my profile stands next to other plant biology PhDs. I am applying to 2 top 10 plant pathology programs and 2 top 20 plant pathology programs in the US. I don't have time to retake the GREs. I didn't really have time to study. I work 7 days a week currently, but I am out of undergrad.

To this poster, have you gotten reply from Penn state.

Hi everyone!

I just received an offer from my dream school!  I am pretty sure I will attend that school. Right now, I also have many interviews coming up. Since schools have already arranged the flight tickets/hotel, is it too rude at this point to reject their invitations? I am thinking other applicants would love to have this opportunity. Thank you.

3 hours ago, cc75 said:

Hi everyone!

I just received an offer from my dream school!  I am pretty sure I will attend that school. Right now, I also have many interviews coming up. Since schools have already arranged the flight tickets/hotel, is it too rude at this point to reject their invitations? I am thinking other applicants would love to have this opportunity. Thank you.

I don't think anyone would be offered your interviews if you declined them at this point, especially since they already arranged for your travel and your hotel. If I were you, I would try to attend the interviews still. You never know if you'll like another school more than your dream school 

6 hours ago, cc75 said:

Hi everyone!

Congrats! I'd still go, just for the experiences and the people you'll get to talk to! Since it's pretty short notice I doubt they'd ask someone else to fill your roll. 

And if you do end up getting accepted, then it'll just be easy to immediately turn the offer down so then maybe someone else who interviewed with can get your acceptance slot.

On 1/25/2018 at 2:01 PM, Otinogonnyo said:

Does anybody know the Post-interview acceptance rate of UT Southwestern?

Thanks a lot,

Did you interview already? I think they are looking to fill ~70 spots, and each of the six days has about ~30 or so; historically I think they've had a little trouble bringing people to Texas I believe. So I think they assume many people will go elsewhere. But this is really off-the-cuff.

13 hours ago, hurryskurry said:

Did you interview already? I think they are looking to fill ~70 spots, and each of the six days has about ~30 or so; historically I think they've had a little trouble bringing people to Texas I believe. So I think they assume many people will go elsewhere. But this is really off-the-cuff.

I have my interview on 1st February. Considering it to be the first and only one interview I have this season, I was just freaking out.

Thanks a lot for your input. When is yours scheduled if you do not mind sharing?

Also since it's Skype interview and I notice your location as Texas, I was wondering if you have any insights about the program and the reputation of UTSW as a whole?

Sorry if I sound naive, I know for sure their cardiovascular department is stellar and the place I work in Boston really has high regards for it. I was just wondering about the overall reputation of the Graduate school in general.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Otinogonnyo

3 hours ago, Otinogonnyo said:

I have my interview on 1st February. Considering it to be the first and only one interview I have this season, I was just freaking out.

Thanks a lot for your input. When is yours scheduled if you do not mind sharing?

Also since it's Skype interview and I notice your location as Texas, I was wondering if you have any insights about the program and the reputation of UTSW as a whole?

Sorry if I sound naive, I know for sure their cardiovascular department is stellar and the place I work in Boston really has high regards for it. I was just wondering about the overall reputation of the Graduate school in general.

Thanks a lot.

Mine was this past weekend. 

I currently work at UTSW so I can probably tell you anything you might want to know. UTSW has very strong biomedical research. It's probably the strongest biological research institution in Texas, and in the surrounding areas. The school is growing as well. 

53 minutes ago, hurryskurry said:

Mine was this past weekend. 

I currently work at UTSW so I can probably tell you anything you might want to know. UTSW has very strong biomedical research. It's probably the strongest biological research institution in Texas, and in the surrounding areas. The school is growing as well. 

How does UTSW compare to BCM in Houston?