2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

58 minutes ago, wocscience said:

Awesome. When are you interviewing?  Have you heard anything about the GSBS interview process?  Wondering how many of the applicants they interview that get accepted.

I don't know about @ChallengerSwimmer23, but I got an email invite from them earlier today for interviewing March 8-10. I haven't been able to catch any admissions stats or anything, so I'm not too keen on how many applicants attend or get admitted. There's three weekends, and I'm imagining anywhere between 15-30 students per weekend, but honestly who knows. I suppose I'll see when I'm there. Congrats on the invite, btw. I'm guessing we might be attending the same interview dates?

As per which branches of the program I'm interested in, I had put: 1. immunology, 2. therapeutics, and 3. cancer biology

19 hours ago, microbenerd2018 said:

Accepted to University of Michigan PIBS (microbiology & immunology)! I am so excited and also incredibly relieved lol. 

16 hours ago, genomicsandstuff said:

Not the person you asked, but I interviewed with UMich, PIBS, Human Genetics this weekend (Feb 1-3).  They extended an "early" offer to me yesterday (Feb 4) and sent the official admittance email earlier today.  Hope that helps 

Congrats both of you! I am not sure if you guys would, but do you happen to know if anyone who interviewed with PIBS via Neuroscience have heard anything? I received really positive responses from the faculty I interviewed with, but have not heard back on my application yet. I know neuro has a direct admittance program which could affect when they make offers....but I'm really, really nervous. I guess they have until Friday? 

Edited by synapticcat

28 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Congrats both of you! I am not sure if you guys would, but do you happen to know if anyone who interviewed with PIBS via Neuroscience have heard anything? I received really positive responses from the faculty I interviewed with, but have not heard back on my application yet. I know neuro has a direct admittance program which could affect when they make offers....but I'm really, really nervous. I guess they have until Friday? 

I know how you feel! I have been very stressed knowing this week I would hear back for better or worse. IMO, if you had positive responses from the faculty you interviewed with, I am sure you are fine. Like genomicsandstuff, I was extended an "early" offer as well. I heard back from the M&I program director initially, and then received an email from PIBS later in the day. I would bet neuroscience operates in the same way! Its possible the committee for neuroscience isn't able to meet until today or wednesday to discuss, and then from there they will hand out offers. I know it's super stressful but if you think you did good, you probably did :) Keep us posted, fingers crossed for you!! 

1 hour ago, microbenerd2018 said:

I know how you feel! I have been very stressed knowing this week I would hear back for better or worse. IMO, if you had positive responses from the faculty you interviewed with, I am sure you are fine. Like genomicsandstuff, I was extended an "early" offer as well. I heard back from the M&I program director initially, and then received an email from PIBS later in the day. I would bet neuroscience operates in the same way! Its possible the committee for neuroscience isn't able to meet until today or wednesday to discuss, and then from there they will hand out offers. I know it's super stressful but if you think you did good, you probably did :) Keep us posted, fingers crossed for you!! 

Thanks so much for the kind reply! This did make me feel a little better. I had 3 faculty tell me that they would be "thrilled" to see me there in the fall, and two tell me explicitly they thought I would be a great fit for the program. So....I would be pretty bummed if I wasn't at least wait-listed haha. The good news is I liked my other top choice just as much and would be thrilled to attend either school, and at that interview weekend I was told by the faculty and students that unless you had a MAJOR red flag or fucked up big time in your interviews you were getting an offer (they accept >90% of the people they interview).

I will certainly update you guys with the news when I hear! And congrats again!

29 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Thanks so much for the kind reply! This did make me feel a little better. I had 3 faculty tell me that they would be "thrilled" to see me there in the fall, and two tell me explicitly they thought I would be a great fit for the program. So....I would be pretty bummed if I wasn't at least wait-listed haha. The good news is I liked my other top choice just as much and would be thrilled to attend either school, and at that interview weekend I was told by the faculty and students that unless you had a MAJOR red flag or fucked up big time in your interviews you were getting an offer (they accept >90% of the people they interview).

I am keeping your words as my mascot and hopefully my interviewers will say they'd also be "thrilled" to have me in the program! I am having 3 interviews this months and none of them have happened yet, nerve rocking 24/7 until the day comes.....Finger crossed for you! 

31 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

I think it's pretty natural to worry, but I would try not to.  It sounds like you did really well at your interviews, so I can't imagine that they would outright reject you.  They are going to accept more students than they plan to actually matriculate, and that percentage can range, but once you're at the interview stage, I think they are seriously considering you regardless.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, but I think you have a really good shot for acceptance!

Edited by StemCellFan

1 hour ago, Molecular_nutrition_2018 said:

I am keeping your words as my mascot and hopefully my interviewers will say they'd also be "thrilled" to have me in the program! I am having 3 interviews this months and none of them have happened yet, nerve rocking 24/7 until the day comes.....Finger crossed for you! 

I hope your interviewers say the same! I'm the complete opposite - all three of mine happened already, and now I'm just waiting. Thanks so much for the encouragement, I hope you get fantastic news too :)

1 hour ago, StemCellFan said:

I think it's pretty natural to worry, but I would try not to.  It sounds like you did really well at your interviews, so I can't imagine that they would outright reject you.  They are going to accept more students than they plan to actually matriculate, and that percentage can range, but once you're at the interview stage, I think they are seriously considering you regardless.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, but I think you have a really good shot for acceptance!

I just had my ~beginning of the semester~ meeting with my PI and I'm feeling a bit more relaxed now. Also spent the past 2 hours pipetting fish - sounds infuriating, but methodical work like that is super calming for me. I know for this program specifically they accepted almost 80% of their interviewees. Someone just told me that no one has heard from neuroscience yet, so I guess I can put off my freak-out for a bit longer! Thanks so much for the positive words and congrats on your acceptances :D:)

Hey all, so I just missed a phone call (I was in class) with the same area code and city location for a grad school i'm waiting for a response from, but there was no voicemail left. So I called back, but it just said "all current lines for this number are busy, please try again later" or something like that.

So I checked out gradcafe results and I saw that someone else posted that they received an acceptation via phone from my same school and program today! So it is fair to assume that this call was the school for me about my program as well?

Should I try calling back more, or do you think they'd try to call back later today? Maybe wait for an official email to be sent? I'm freaking out as it's one of my top choices so it would be nice to know for sure! 

Edited by shmal96

5 minutes ago, shmal96 said:

Hey all, so I just missed a phone call (I was in class) with the same area code and city location for a grad school i'm waiting for a response from, but there was no voicemail left. So I called back, but it just said "all current lines for this number are busy, please try again later" or something like that.

So I checked out gradcafe results and I saw that someone else posted that they received an acceptation via phone from my same school and program today! So it is fair to assume that this call was the school for me about my program as well?

Should I try calling back more, or do you think they'd try to call back later today? Maybe wait for an official email to be sent? I'm freaking out as it's one of my top choices so it would be nice to know for sure! 

I think that schools usually follow up with an email if they can't get you on the phone. It is unlikely that they would leave no voicemail and also not try to contact you some other way... Personally, I would try to be patient.

Accepted to Case Western BSTP!!! 

I know I was just on here posting worried about not getting in anywhere....so if you're reading this, sometimes really great things happen when you least expect them to! In my case, it was in the middle of grocery shopping. The rest of the produce section was not nearly as thrilled as I was. 

I interviewed 2/1-2/3 and got a call today from an admissions committee member (who I sat next to at dinner one night lmao - cool guy) saying that the committee met today and that they are definitely extending me an offer, official stuff to follow in the next few days. Woohoo! I can now delete the lab tech jobs I bookmarked today as a plan B and sit back and wait to hear from my other top choice, but I would be equally as happy to attend here :D

1 hour ago, synapticcat said:

I know I was just on here posting worried about not getting in anywhere....so if you're reading this, sometimes really great things happen when you least expect them to! In my case, it was in the middle of grocery shopping. The rest of the produce section was not nearly as thrilled as I was. 

I interviewed 2/1-2/3 and got a call today from an admissions committee member (who I sat next to at dinner one night lmao - cool guy) saying that the committee met today and that they are definitely extending me an offer, official stuff to follow in the next few days. Woohoo! I can now delete the lab tech jobs I bookmarked today as a plan B and sit back and wait to hear from my other top choice, but I would be equally as happy to attend here :D

Congrats! Well deserved. :)

20 hours ago, wocscience said:

Awesome. When are you interviewing?  Have you heard anything about the GSBS interview process?  Wondering how many of the applicants they interview that get accepted.

18 hours ago, katpillow said:

I don't know about @ChallengerSwimmer23, but I got an email invite from them earlier today for interviewing March 8-10. I haven't been able to catch any admissions stats or anything, so I'm not too keen on how many applicants attend or get admitted. There's three weekends, and I'm imagining anywhere between 15-30 students per weekend, but honestly who knows. I suppose I'll see when I'm there. Congrats on the invite, btw. I'm guessing we might be attending the same interview dates?

As per which branches of the program I'm interested in, I had put: 1. immunology, 2. therapeutics, and 3. cancer biology

12 hours ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

I'm also curious to know!

I am interviewing with UT Health/MD Anderson this Thursday - Saturday (02/08 - 0210). My programs that I put in order are 1. immunology 2. cancer biology 3. cell biology. I received my invite on January 8th. 

2 hours ago, synapticcat said:

Congratulations!!  I loved visiting Case Western when I was there!  I hope you hear from PIBS Neuro soon.

Edited by StemCellFan

22 hours ago, wocscience said:

Which weekend are you interviewing?  Have you heard anything about the interview process yet?  I just got invited to interview today, but my application was submitted on the last day.

Congrats on the invite! I am interviewing March 8-10. I actually submitted my app way too early and got an invite back in December for this coming weekend, but I had to reschedule. They sent me a general schedule of events, though. It looks like they have dinner on Thursday, four 30-min interviews on Friday followed by what sounds like an icebreaker activity ("Clue Quest") and then reception and dinner. You'll probably get the same schedule soon.

22 hours ago, wocscience said:

I read somewhere (on here, I think) that someone in the program said that they accept "most" invited applicants. That's all I found about post-interview acceptance rates. Are you interviewing that same weekend?

14 hours ago, siliconchins said:

Congrats! Well deserved. :)

12 hours ago, StemCellFan said:

Congratulations!!  I loved visiting Case Western when I was there!  I hope you hear from PIBS Neuro soon.

Thanks so much, both of you! :D 

On 1/31/2018 at 2:11 PM, Bio_123 said:

Hi everyone!

I've just got a rejection from NYU Sackler. 

I wonder if there is anyone heard back from Brown MCB or Columbia Biological Science (GSAS).

My application was transferred to my second choice of program Molecular and Cellular Biology at Baylor College of Medicine, but ı haven't heard after that. My application is still under review. 

I also haven't heard back from UNC BBSP, ı assume it will be rejection. 

With Baylor I suggest you contact the second choice program director. Sometimes when the application is sent to the second choice, people forget to take a look at it. This happened to me with IMBS and MVM. Contacting the program director ended up with me receiving an interview and acceptance. Good luck.

On 1/30/2018 at 10:50 AM, Otinogonnyo said:

Anyone heard from Baylor translational biology and molecular medicine or integrative molecular and biomedical sciences program? Their application deadline was January 1st so I was just hoping they are taking things slow.

Baylor has already started with their first interview weekends for most of their programs. Some programs have more than one interview weekends.