Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

12 minutes ago, ipsumlorem said:

will MS students ever learn of their decisions :(

Did you apply to Michigan too buddy? Did they ever give you a phone call discussing about your profile etc?

I don't know if I should feel unfair...but like I already have three strong recommendations from University of Toronto and Statistics Canada, and they still want a fourth one from their home university... :o

43 minutes ago, kelsia said:

Did you apply to Michigan too buddy? Did they ever give you a phone call discussing about your profile etc?

I don't know if I should feel unfair...but like I already have three strong recommendations from University of Toronto and Statistics Canada, and they still want a fourth one from their home university... :o

I applied to their MAS if that counts. Applied to 10 schools and haven't heard back from any

1 hour ago, ipsumlorem said:

will MS students ever learn of their decisions :(

When I applied to MS two years ago, the decisions came out from early Feb till Early April. And the good ones came last.

Wait and Hope!

Got a Duke response finally.  I am waitlisted.  I am going to go on visits and then start withdrawing until I have 1-2 programs left and wait until a get a response for Duke and NSF GRFP before committing. So I am in a similar boat as you @BStat.

12 hours ago, BStat said:

Got waitlisted by University of Washington Seattle Statistics department. Anyone sailing in the same boat? 

I got waitlisted by uw too but for biostatistics. Also wondering how likely it is to get off their waitlist ☹️

2 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

How likely is it to get off the waitlist? I also got waitlisted by the Stats department of Umich.

It depends.  My estimates for Duke are about 77% of receiving an offer for domestic students assuming they only sent out offers for a full cohort and they typically only admit/waitlist the short list.  It’s worth waiting it out until you know all your decisions and get it down to UMich and somewhere else you have been admitted to.  Unless you are already admitted with funding somewhere else you like more it’s perfectly fine to wait it out. I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up admitting double their class which seems to be typical.  As long as they only sent out as many offers in the first round as they have spots you should be in good shape.  The only reason I think you should decline a waitlist is that you know you would rather go somewhere else. 

Edited by Bayesian1701

9 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

It depends.  My estimates for Duke are about 77% of receiving an offer for domestic students assuming they only sent out offers for a full cohort and they typically only admit/waitlist the short list.  It’s worth waiting it out until you know all your decisions and get it down to UMich and somewhere else you have been admitted to.  Unless you are already admitted with funding somewhere else you like more it’s perfectly fine to wait it out. I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up admitting double their class which seems to be typical.  As long as they only sent out as many offers in the first round as they have spots you should be in good shape.  The only reason I think you should decline a waitlist is that you know you would rather go somewhere else. 

What kind of prior did you use? Can we see the posterior?

10 minutes ago, Woolworth said:

Please provide model documentation

Assuming that Duke admitted for their goal class size of 12, and that 15% of domestic students roughly made the short list for the past three years then there were 35 domestic shortlisted students and 27 of them were offered admission based on their official statistics.  That is approximately 77%.  However range is probably something more like (60-90%).  I am not super confident in that estimate but I taking that as it’s definitely worth the wait.

Edit:  I guess I can come up with something a little bit better.   I’ll think about it. 

Edited by Bayesian1701

1 hour ago, BayesianLove said:

Why the emphasis on domestic students? do domestic and international students get slots independently?

I am a domestic student and the odds work out a little differently.  I don’t know why it matters though.  It’s still pretty high but not as high as for domestics.  I think maybe because they use the interview as an English screener for international students, but that is just a theory. I don’t think it is independent so that might changes how the numbers work if 15% of domestics don’t aren’t waitlists and you look at the general case of shortlist and admitted.  It’s still pretty high.  

Edited by Bayesian1701

On 2/9/2018 at 3:12 PM, statphd said:

I got an email today as an invitation to visit Johns Hopkins Department of Biostatistics for their "departmental visitors weekend". Does this mean I have been admitted, or just that they are interested? Does this weekend serve as an interview? Would appreciate any input on this.

May I ask if you are applying for Master's or PhD? I am waiting on their response as well. Thank you!

34 minutes ago, underworked said:

I applied there too and a bunch of other master's programs. Kind of in the same boat and only heard back from one so far.   

Michigan MAS usually doesn't give decisions until March at the earliest. I applied there too, good luck to all of us!

On 2/13/2018 at 10:12 AM, kelsia said:

Anyone heard anything back from Toronto, UBC, or McGill? I saw like two postings from Toronto. It's strange.

I applied to UofT and UBC as well. In the past few years the earliest MSc acceptances are at the end of Feb. Those two postings are for PhD, which are decided before MSc.

8 minutes ago, statsbrah123 said:

I applied to UofT and UBC as well. In the past few years the earliest MSc acceptances are at the end of Feb. Those two postings are for PhD, which are decided before MSc.

Check the U of T SGS admissions site. My status is “decision made”.