Fall 2018 I/O Psy

Hi all!

I thought of creating a thread specific to I/O psychology to discuss whatever experience or concerns

I'm set on applying to four programs so far, I realize I/O programs admit fewer students and I might need to apply to more schools to improve my chances, especially that I'm coming from engineering field.

Tell me about you! Schools? Research Interest? Worries?

Personally, my research interests are all over the place! From job selection and satisfaction to work-life balance and motivation. My biggest worry is my mediocre GRE (V:151 Q:161 AWA:3.5)

17 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

Hi! I definitely agree that the GRE is my biggest concern. I am taking it next week, and I know I won't fail, but I would feel more comfortable if I had a higher score. 

I wish you all the luck in the world. It's mentally and financially exhausting to take the test several times. Especially when schools don't mention a cut off score so you end up doubting if your score is good enough!

Did you settle on which programs/schools you're applying for?

Hi,

I am also applying to several IO PhD program for this coming fall. Similar to yours, my biggest worry is GRE scores. Although I am taking it again in November, but not quite sure if I would be able to up them to the satisfactory level. My stats are given below:

Undergrad GPA: 3.88 (India)

Grad GPA: 3.91

GRE: V: 146, Q-157, AWA- 3.0 (Will be retaking it in November)

Research Exp: 1 Master's Thesis (Meta-Analysis) - working on publication. 

1 Independent Study (The Development of Turnover Intention Scale) - working on publication.

3 Conference Presentations (APS, Work, Stress, & Health, and Northern Kentucky University Student Research Celebration).

Also, I have worked on the development of a personality test as a part of the capstone project during my master's.

Research Interests: Team Performance, Trust, Job Performance, Job Involvement, Employee Turnover, and Meta-Analysis.

Possible Schools: Both USA and Canada (e.g., UCF, George Mason, Western, FIU, British Columbia and couple of more).

I don't know what my chances are of getting admitted, but this time I'm really hopeful that I will be able to start my PhD next year. Let me know what do you think of my stats, and if there is anything where I can improve to increase my chances. Best of luck to everybody else who is in the same boat, hope you get into your choice of program. Thanks :)

6 hours ago, EgyPsychologist said:

I wish you all the luck in the world. It's mentally and financially exhausting to take the test several times. Especially when schools don't mention a cut off score so you end up doubting if your score is good enough!

Did you settle on which programs/schools you're applying for?

Yes! Thats the worst part. Also, in a lot of my research the average GRE scores are VASTLY different on the SIOP page for the grad schools and for the grad school's websites. I have a longer list that I might trim down once I take the GRE, but I've heard 10 is a fairly normal number. Right now I am thinking:

CSU

CMU

ODU

U. of Oklahoma
U. of Tulsa

U. of Houston

TAMU

Penn State

U. of Ohio

Rice

Wayne State

Where are you applying?

18 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

Yes! Thats the worst part. Also, in a lot of my research the average GRE scores are VASTLY different on the SIOP page for the grad schools and for the grad school's websites. I have a longer list that I might trim down once I take the GRE, but I've heard 10 is a fairly normal number. Right now I am thinking:

CSU

CMU

ODU

U. of Oklahoma
U. of Tulsa

U. of Houston

TAMU

Penn State

U. of Ohio

Rice

Wayne State

Where are you applying?

I had a similar long list of 12 schools but I decided to trim it according to geographical preferences and my confidence in being a competent applicant. So far I'm considering BGSU, Ohio U, Michigan State, and uOttawa. I might need to add more to the list to improve my chances of getting admitted this round (fingers crossed!)

20 hours ago, Saman said:

Hi,

I am also applying to several IO PhD program for this coming fall. Similar to yours, my biggest worry is GRE scores. Although I am taking it again in November, but not quite sure if I would be able to up them to the satisfactory level. My stats are given below:

Undergrad GPA: 3.88 (India)

Grad GPA: 3.91

GRE: V: 146, Q-157, AWA- 3.0 (Will be retaking it in November)

Research Exp: 1 Master's Thesis (Meta-Analysis) - working on publication. 

1 Independent Study (The Development of Turnover Intention Scale) - working on publication.

3 Conference Presentations (APS, Work, Stress, & Health, and Northern Kentucky University Student Research Celebration).

Also, I have worked on the development of a personality test as a part of the capstone project during my master's.

Research Interests: Team Performance, Trust, Job Performance, Job Involvement, Employee Turnover, and Meta-Analysis.

Possible Schools: Both USA and Canada (e.g., UCF, George Mason, Western, FIU, British Columbia and couple of more).

I don't know what my chances are of getting admitted, but this time I'm really hopeful that I will be able to start my PhD next year. Let me know what do you think of my stats, and if there is anything where I can improve to increase my chances. Best of luck to everybody else who is in the same boat, hope you get into your choice of program. Thanks :)

I believe you are in a good shape. Your research experience seems to be focused and identified, hopefully you'd be able to align that with POI from schools you plan to apply at. I would only advise you to take the GRE sooner so you would have a chance to retake it before the application deadline.

Best of luck!

Does anyone have good info on the real difference between a true I/O program and all of the offshoots? Obviously, when narrowing down my lists its difficult because there are quite a few schools that have Organizational Science degrees and other variations. 

On 8/5/2017 at 11:15 AM, EgyPsychologist said:

I believe you are in a good shape. Your research experience seems to be focused and identified, hopefully you'd be able to align that with POI from schools you plan to apply at. I would only advise you to take the GRE sooner so you would have a chance to retake it before the application deadline.

Best of luck!

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Probably will take it at the end of October, it will give me enough time to re-take it. :)

On 8/17/2017 at 10:08 AM, Pandora! said:

Is there a website with rankings/listings of good programs in  Social- Organizational psychology programs? I have the same question in mind that Daisy (above has put up) What are the differences???!!1:(

I came across a blog that I think is useful for anyone considering applying to I/O programs. It also has a link to rankings of different programs and an explanation of what different ranking systems are based on along with several tips and guides for applicants. Check it out at http://neoacademic.com/io-grad-school-series/

Has anyone applied for graduate programs through Pathway programs? Does it effect your chances with securing scholarships and/or assistantships? Secondly I have narrowed to the following universities. Would really appreciate your feedback.

1. NYU

2. Hofstra

3. SUNY, Albany

4.Uni of Tulsa

5. Uni of Central Florida

6. Uni of Baltimore

7. Minnesota State Uni - Mankota

8. George Mason

For most of these Unis they have Masters as well as PhD programs so that I can continue to PhD after grad studies

Thank you

On 8/26/2017 at 9:00 AM, Sarosh said:

Has anyone applied for graduate programs through Pathway programs? Does it effect your chances with securing scholarships and/or assistantships? Secondly I have narrowed to the following universities. Would really appreciate your feedback.

1. NYU

2. Hofstra

3. SUNY, Albany

4.Uni of Tulsa

5. Uni of Central Florida

6. Uni of Baltimore

7. Minnesota State Uni - Mankota

8. George Mason

For most of these Unis they have Masters as well as PhD programs so that I can continue to PhD after grad studies

Thank you

Most PhD programs, if not all, have a terminal MA degree and they admit only those students seeking to pursue a PhD. Usually psyc students apply straight after earning their undergraduate degree to these programs. However, some schools offer MA and MS degrees separately. This would be an opportunity for non psyc students to enrich their foundation prior to competing with students from the field.

Your choice of schools seems to not be based on geographical preference which is a good sign. Just make sure you feel that the program you are applying for matches your interests and it wouldn't hurt to reach out to your POI early in time, I've done that and received positive responses most of the time.

On 8/5/2017 at 11:17 AM, Daisy0124 said:

Does anyone have good info on the real difference between a true I/O program and all of the offshoots? Obviously, when narrowing down my lists its difficult because there are quite a few schools that have Organizational Science degrees and other variations. 

Often, you can tell the difference between social-organizational (not true IO and much less likely to get you the kind of good starting-off jobs in IO that people are looking for) from true IO by how much of the I-side they have.

If they are lacking in advanced stats, measure development, applied personality research, performance assessment, and courses/research areas like that, you're not looking at a true IO program.

A social-organizational program is less likely, if it lacks those topics above, to teach you the hard skills that set IO apart from other fields in psych, and that are in job postings for this growing field. Having a strong psychometric background, coupled with as much programming and data analysis as you can learn, is key to a lot of beginner IO jobs, as a lot of the more organizational side jobs come from things like coaching and consulting, and are more fuzzy, which means the people who take up those spots and succeed in them are older and have usually spent more time in the workforce.

True IO programs: U Conneticut, Florida International University, Akron, Minnesota, Guelph/Waterloo/Western (these three are in Canada)

Social-Org, non-true-IO programs: Columbia, Adler, the New School, Windsor (Canada)

On 8/27/2017 at 1:52 PM, eternallyephemeral said:

Often, you can tell the difference between social-organizational (not true IO and much less likely to get you the kind of good starting-off jobs in IO that people are looking for) from true IO by how much of the I-side they have.

If they are lacking in advanced stats, measure development, applied personality research, performance assessment, and courses/research areas like that, you're not looking at a true IO program.

A social-organizational program is less likely, if it lacks those topics above, to teach you the hard skills that set IO apart from other fields in psych, and that are in job postings for this growing field. Having a strong psychometric background, coupled with as much programming and data analysis as you can learn, is key to a lot of beginner IO jobs, as a lot of the more organizational side jobs come from things like coaching and consulting, and are more fuzzy, which means the people who take up those spots and succeed in them are older and have usually spent more time in the workforce.

True IO programs: U Conneticut, Florida International University, Akron, Minnesota, Guelph/Waterloo/Western (these three are in Canada)

Social-Org, non-true-IO programs: Columbia, Adler, the New School, Windsor (Canada)

How about University of Calgary (Canada)? I believe it is also a hardcore IO program given their high emphasis on statistics and research methods. 

On 9/1/2017 at 11:38 AM, Saman said:

How about University of Calgary (Canada)? I believe it is also a hardcore IO program given their high emphasis on statistics and research methods. 

It is a true IO program as well, yes. A lot of the profs there did their PhDs at Western's program (e.g., Kibeom Lee, Tom O'Neill, etc), and it's a very great place if you're interested in the kind of research happening there. They have been very productive and are really ramping things up in recent years. I'd highly recommend it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! 

Thought I'd hop on this thread while the going gets hot. :-P I'll be applying this cycle to about 9 or 10 Industrial/Organizational Ph.D programs, 2 Human Factors Ph.D programs, and a few general masters programs "just in case." 

My biggest concern by far is the GRE. I take it this Friday (it got postponed from its original date due to hurricane Irma), and while my verbal keeps going up and up on practice tests, my quant stays relatively the same. 

Cumulative GPA: 3.7
Major GPA: 3.9

Professional Experience: 

• 2 years as a quality assurance analyst
  • 1 year as a business analyst 

Research Experience:

• RA for 2 years in 2 different human factors labs
  • Was scheduling/project manager for 2 semesters on a major study funded by the Office of Naval Research 
  • Scholar in a competitive two year research program with my university
  • Conducting an independent research study 
  • Presenting research in a "talk" at a local conference in November
  • Research peer mentor for incoming undergraduate students

I wish I had more poster presentations and such, but just as I was getting ready to present at conferences last spring my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, and I had to take the semester off. I'll have to explain that gap away in my personal statement without getting too emotional. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. Just wanted to give my fellow I/O PHD applicants some good thoughts as I am also applying this cycle. I have only talked to 2 faculty members but I heard that the University of Georgia's program is undergoing some changes and they probably will take less students this cycle which sucks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 7:31 PM, crystalcolours said:

Hey everyone! 

Thought I'd hop on this thread while the going gets hot. :-P I'll be applying this cycle to about 9 or 10 Industrial/Organizational Ph.D programs, 2 Human Factors Ph.D programs, and a few general masters programs "just in case." 

My biggest concern by far is the GRE. I take it this Friday (it got postponed from its original date due to hurricane Irma), and while my verbal keeps going up and up on practice tests, my quant stays relatively the same. 

Cumulative GPA: 3.7
Major GPA: 3.9

Professional Experience: 

• 2 years as a quality assurance analyst
  • 1 year as a business analyst 

Research Experience:

• RA for 2 years in 2 different human factors labs
  • Was scheduling/project manager for 2 semesters on a major study funded by the Office of Naval Research 
  • Scholar in a competitive two year research program with my university
  • Conducting an independent research study 
  • Presenting research in a "talk" at a local conference in November
  • Research peer mentor for incoming undergraduate students

I wish I had more poster presentations and such, but just as I was getting ready to present at conferences last spring my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, and I had to take the semester off. I'll have to explain that gap away in my personal statement without getting too emotional. 

You should be both proud and confident your resume will get you somewhere :)...What are some schools you applied/applying to?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Program of interest: PhD I/O Psychology, Organizational Science, Psychometrics

Research Interests: Item Response Theory, Statistical Modeling, Job Analysis, Multidimensional Constructs, Assessment and Measurement Bias.

Schools you have looked at: Univ of Maryland (2) Psychometrics & Org Sci, Penn State I/O, NC State I/O, UNC Charlotte Org Sci, UNC Greensboro Psychometrics, George Mason I/O, George Washington I/O, Old Dominion I/O, James Madison Psychometrics

Degrees: BA in Psychology, MS in I/O Psychology

Test Scores and GPA:

GRE

Q: 160 (72nd)

V: 162 (91st)

AWA: 4.0 (60th)

GPA

Undergrad GPA: 3.97

Undergrad Major GPA: 4.0

Grad GPA: 4.0

Research Experience: 

2 poster presentations

Research Methods & Statistics TA 1 year

100+ hours applied research (MS was heavily applied)

No thesis

No peer-reviewed publications

Professional Experience:

2+ years Psychometric Data Analyst (current)

1 year Teaching Fellow

1 year Teaching Assistant 

1.5 years Research Developer

Summer HR internship

Worried About: Lack of thesis and publications, mediocre GRE Quant, all of you awesome people

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Edited by Left Skew

Hey everyone!

I was just curious how your apps were going since Dec. 1st is creeping up on us! Where did everyone end up applying to? 

I applied to:

Penn State Ph.D

Clemson Ph.D

TU Ph.D

Uni. Oklahoma Ph.D

Rice Ph.D

CMU Ph.D

Texas A&M Ph.D

Akron Ph.D

DePaul Ph.D

Middle Tennessee State Masters

16 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

Hey everyone!

I was just curious how your apps were going since Dec. 1st is creeping up on us! Where did everyone end up applying to? 

I applied to:

Penn State Ph.D

Clemson Ph.D

TU Ph.D

Uni. Oklahoma Ph.D

Rice Ph.D

CMU Ph.D

Texas A&M Ph.D

Akron Ph.D

DePaul Ph.D

Middle Tennessee State Masters

That's a diverse and great selection of schools you got there Daisy!

I applied to MSU, Wayne State, Penn State, uni Ottawa, BGSU, and Ohio Uni

About time to be possessed by a mixture of anxiety and worries about not making it!