PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

In my adrenaline rush after seeing my scores I was like "I get four for free and I'm sending this sucker to Yale!" And that was like October. But yeah it really sucked they wouldn't let me like get someone at Div. to confirm receipt of the score or anything. 

I've got a fairly good report with the department. I've talked pleasantly with several professors and students, and I'm hoping that will help me. My concern is that I should hear from them next week... and if my application wasn't even viewed because of this I may have just lost a shot at my dream program  (where I might have actually had a chance).

If they were to announce next week and they haven't contacted you, unfortunately I think it's probably too late. I certainly hope not though and I realize that this is a nightmare. I figured their system would alert you to something missing. Hopefully they'll take it as an error on their end and work something out with you!

9 minutes ago, Notatallsure said:

Hi y'all, I just found this site. I was wondering if anyone has heard from Indiana or Brown? It seems like decisions should be coming. 

You can check results here and search any way you please: https://thegradcafe.com/survey/

This will give you all theology and religion results: https://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=(theol*|relig*)

I do think that some folks have heard from Indiana.  I can't remember about Brown.  

Hey everyone. Perhaps a silly question, but do programs send out acceptances in waves? Specifically, I know acceptances for Toronto Religion have gone out since last week. As I haven't heard anything, is it worth waiting in expectation or should I just assume I've been rejected or waitlisted? Just wondering if I should begin my six stages of grief yet or not lol 

3 hours ago, archibald said:

Hey everyone. Perhaps a silly question, but do programs send out acceptances in waves? Specifically, I know acceptances for Toronto Religion have gone out since last week. As I haven't heard anything, is it worth waiting in expectation or should I just assume I've been rejected or waitlisted? Just wondering if I should begin my six stages of grief yet or not lol 

Assuming you’re asking about UoT: They’ve traditionally sent acceptances out in one big batch. Some waitlisted applicants are notified late Feb to early March so there’s still a chance.

UoT is known for not updating the applicant’s portal regarding their status until sometime late in spring, sometimes summer. UoT has also traditionally not notified waitlisted applicants so there’s still hope!

On 2/10/2018 at 10:35 AM, KA.DINGER.RA said:

That's almost borderline criminal. Grad students have no money and so many people spend so much money in application fees. It even costs money to send GRE scores. I honestly would have been tempted to issue a charge-back on my card.

I emailed them and it's all fixed!!!

On 2/10/2018 at 10:22 AM, ShewantsthePhD101 said:

I just found out my top choice school doesn't have one of my transcripts!!! How screwed am I? Will this have kept them from even considering my application? I've emailed them to try and figure out what's going on...

Quick question: How did you find out about this? Did they contact you and ask you to send it to them? Or did you find out on your own? If they go out of their way to ask you for the transcript, it may be that they are interested in your application but they want it to make sure you aren't hiding anything. I had applied to one school two years ago and uploaded a transcript then. I later did another semester at that school. The system kept the transcript and didn't tell me I needed to re-upload my updated transcript from the school. But I ended up getting into that program and they had me upload it because they were interested. 

11 minutes ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

Quick question: How did you find out about this? Did they contact you and ask you to send it to them? Or did you find out on your own? If they go out of their way to ask you for the transcript, it may be that they are interested in your application but they want it to make sure you aren't hiding anything. I had applied to one school two years ago and uploaded a transcript then. I later did another semester at that school. The system kept the transcript and didn't tell me I needed to re-upload my updated transcript from the school. But I ended up getting into that program and they had me upload it because they were interested. 

I found out own my own, just checking my app to see if a decision had been rendered. But when I got a hold of them to fix it they said I've got a great app. So that's encouraging.

10 hours ago, kenshiro said:

Looks like someone posted a Duke GPR acceptance - anyone get anything from Div?

This is surprising. Can anyone claim that posting? I know they don't send out official acceptances until after the interview weekend (which is an informal acceptance). Maybe the poster just posted it in advance? I have yet to hear anything from the Div school, but was told we would be notified by Feb 14.

9 minutes ago, Hopeless_Academic said:

This is surprising. Can anyone claim that posting? I know they don't send out official acceptances until after the interview weekend (which is an informal acceptance). Maybe the poster just posted it in advance? I have yet to hear anything from the Div school, but was told we would be notified by Feb 14.

Not me! I did receive an interview invitation, but I'm waiting to post until I have something official. 

Potential news for those applying to Brite, per an internal calendar they’re meeting on the 19th to decide the fate of applicants.

Per my contact, letters will then be drafted and mailed out, set to hopefully arrive no later than March 1st.

Departments have already finalized their list of preferred candidates and will present them to the full committee on the 19th for a vote. The vote is just a matter of tradition, fyi.

In other news, Drew has traditionally announced this week of February but always gives themselves until the 28th. So maybe?

Hello everyone! 

I have seen two rejection posts from Brandeis. I am wondering if they have already extended offers or interview invitations? Since I have not heard any word from them, I do not know how to interpret this...Thanks in advance for your help! May the odds be ever in your favor:)

I'm sure everyone who's checking this with any regularity and applied there got the same thing, but I got a generic email about ten minutes ago that Duke Th.D. notices will go out by 5pm today. 

Seeing as XYPathos already got a notification re: waitlist, I'm guessing that it'll be worse news for me.  

Edited by EarlyXianity

24 minutes ago, EarlyXianity said:

I'm sure everyone who's checking this with any regularity and applied there got the same thing, but I got a generic email about ten minutes ago that Duke Th.D. notices will go out by 5pm today. 

Seeing as XYPathos already got a notification re: waitlist, I'm guessing that it'll be worse news for me.  

Question for @EarlyXianity or any others on this email. When you go to the portal through the link in the email, under "Application Materials Status," do your GRE scores show up? Mine aren't there, and that's got me feeling like the same thing that happened to @ShewantsthePhD101 might have happened with mine.

8 minutes ago, sd_waco said:

Question for @EarlyXianity or any others on this email. When you go to the portal through the link in the email, under "Application Materials Status," do your GRE scores show up? Mine aren't there, and that's got me feeling like the same thing that happened to @ShewantsthePhD101 might have happened with mine.

Mine do. I submitted mine electronically when I took the GRE in Fall 2017.  Both scores and percentiles are visible.  

12 minutes ago, sd_waco said:

If it helped, my application explicitly said it was awaiting materials and my transcript was missing

38 minutes ago, EarlyXianity said:

My notification came from my POI, he said an official email would be forthcoming. Not sure if that helps any.