PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

It seems off but I can't confirm/deny it. No one has claimed an acceptance on the Results forum and they were still interviewing candidates last week, per an internal calendar. It's possible that they notified a couple of high priority candidates but BC notifies by phone calls, not emails - it's not their standard procedure.

3 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

I completely agree and I think few people recognize the seriousness of such in the application process. 

That's true, but it's a lesser known secret of the application process, even though I would consider it the key to obtaining admission.

Folks:

As results for PhD apps come in, I can’t help but notice how many people are just automatically considered for MA programs. If this is the case, what’s the use in applying directly to MA programs if your goal is a PhD? In the worst case scenario, you get admitted into an MA program (what you’d expect), but you could even get into a PHD program as well. Is this correct? 

1 hour ago, LotusFlower said:

Folks:

As results for PhD apps come in, I can’t help but notice how many people are just automatically considered for MA programs. If this is the case, what’s the use in applying directly to MA programs if your goal is a PhD? In the worst case scenario, you get admitted into an MA program (what you’d expect), but you could even get into a PHD program as well. Is this correct? 

I don't think so, for two reasons:

1) This shunting to the MA program is mostly only for people who are applying straight out of undergrad, without a master's. I think if you already have a master's, then they will most likely send you back a rejection.

2) I think you need to be even more competitive, i.e. almost PhD level. I think you run the risk of outright rejection if you're not at this level, whereas had you applied straight to the MA, then you'd be judged on that level. 

This is all guesswork on my part though.

In addition to @Averroes MD's points, it's relatively few schools that will kick you back to the M* level. So, even without a Master's, you risk still getting rejected. Now, you could ask the school, in the case of rejection, to consider you for Master's admissions but that's a tricky gamble to take.

13 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Folks:

In some cases this is also a way for some schools to make money. UofC's MAPH, for example, (a one year MA in "the humanities") is largely considered a cash cow, and many rejected PhD applicants get admitted to it. To be fair, I know people who did it and then went on to great PhD programs from there. But I think most people agree that it's primarily a way for UofC to make money. 

22 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

That's true, but it's a lesser known secret of the application process, even though I would consider it the key to obtaining admission.

I’d really like to know what y’all are talking about, but I feel entirely in the dark. 

The secrets of admission, teach us you must, oh Jedi of the academy. 

40 minutes ago, EarlyXianity said:

I’d really like to know what y’all are talking about, but I feel entirely in the dark. 

The secrets of admission, teach us you must, oh Jedi of the academy. 

I'm pretty sure Almaqah was messing with us, and I just played along.

Edited by Averroes MD

49 minutes ago, ShewantsthePhD101 said:

So... from what I've gathered it seems like some schools announce acceptances first, but some announce rejections first? Is that right? We should start hearing from more schools soon, right?

Yea, we should start hearing back from some schools in the next 1-2 weeks, though several schools won't notify until March 15 or immediately thereabouts.

More to your point, yes - some schools notify rejections first, some last, and some (looking at your UVA!) have a reputation for not letting you know anything.

2 hours ago, xypathos said:

Yea, we should start hearing back from some schools in the next 1-2 weeks, though several schools won't notify until March 15 or immediately thereabouts.

More to your point, yes - some schools notify rejections first, some last, and some (looking at your UVA!) have a reputation for not letting you know anything.

Who the heck waits til MARCH to notify? Do they HATE us???

10 minutes ago, ashna82 said:

Has anyone heard from Toronto? I saw one response on the survey page from Friday, but that was an internal applicant from the MA program. 

Did you apply to TST or to U of T?

Edited by sd_waco

19 minutes ago, ashna82 said:

Has anyone heard from Toronto? I saw one response on the survey page from Friday, but that was an internal applicant from the MA program. 

Yes, I heard last week via email but was told official notifications are still forthcoming

5 minutes ago, RivkahJ. said:

Yes, I heard last week via email but was told official notifications are still forthcoming

Was that for TST?

I've been back and forth quite a bit with Jon Clemens in admissions at Wycliffe, and he said that at least for the TST PhD through Wycliffe, admissions and bursary decisions would come at the end of February.

Last cycle I got my acceptance to TST late mid February, I think somewhere around the 20th. I was notified about two weeks later though that there would be no funding for American students and was referred to FAFSA to file for federal loans.