PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

10 minutes ago, lames18 said:

Yeah, I have heard that they accept very few students... and I applied to Theology, so I know chances are slim. Any idea on timeline?

It varies some, especially should they get hit hard with winter. Generally, Union begins notifying the second week of February of acceptances, waitlistĀ notifications go out toward the end of February, then rejections toward the first week of March.

Union also tries to "encourage" their initial acceptances to decide within 2-4 weeks so often a second round of acceptances will begin to trickle out toward late February. They have at times gone pretty deep into their waitlist too.

3 minutes ago, xypathos said:

It varies some, especially should they get hit hard with winter. Generally, Union begins notifying the second week of February of acceptances, waitlistĀ notifications go out toward the end of February, then rejections toward the first week of March.

Union also tries to "encourage" their initial acceptances to decide within 2-4 weeks so often a second round of acceptances will begin to trickle out toward late February. They have at times gone pretty deep into their waitlist too.

Thanks so much!

11 minutes ago, ShewantsthePhD101 said:

@HaxMeidelbergerAny idea if they've said anything to Ethics and Society candidates yet?

I don't unfortunately... I'm the only Vandy applicant I know and I applied to Historical Studies. I have a hunchĀ that many of these schools send invitations out piecemeal byĀ subfield, so who knows?

5 minutes ago, HaxMeidelberger said:

I don't unfortunately... I'm the only Vandy applicant I know and I applied to Historical Studies. I have a hunchĀ that many of these schools send invitations out piecemeal byĀ subfield, so who knows?

siiiiiiiigh. Thanks anyway. If you hear anything while you're there... let me know?

3 hours ago, HaxMeidelberger said:

Can confirm. I am a Vandy application and I do not know you.Ā 

Ā 

I'm also waiting to see what Vanderbilt says. I met all the professors in my subfield at SBL (and spent extensive time with one), so I am curious if I would even get an interview invite if they were considering me.Ā 

First post on the forum (habitual lurker on the school specific admission/denial/waitlist threads).Ā  Interested in Ethics, applied to six schools in the religion departments (Yale, Emory, UToronto, Harvard, Vandy,Ā UChicago) and one in aĀ philosophy dept (Northwestern).Ā  So far, I have heard back from Emory (will be at the welcome weekend) and from Yale (phone interview).Ā  Ā Ā 

Thanks for keeping this thread running and keeping me sane, i.e., anonymous masses feeling the same rising and sinking feels as I have been :-P.

Edited by SmallFishBigPond

19 minutes ago, SmallFishBigPond said:

First post on the forum (habitual lurker on the school specific admission/denial/waitlist threads).Ā  Interested in Ethics, applied to six schools in the religion departments (Yale, Emory, UToronto, Harvard, Vandy,Ā UChicago) and one in aĀ philosophy dept (Northwestern).Ā  So far, I have heard back from Emory (will be at the welcome weekend) and from Yale (phone interview).Ā  Ā Ā 

Thanks for keeping this thread running and keeping me sane, i.e., anonymous masses feeling the same rising and sinking feels as I have been :-P.

I didnā€™t know about Grad CafeĀ until today. I guess thatā€™s what happens when you apply to go back to school after youā€™ve been out a while.Ā 

Ā 

Where are the school specific pages?Ā 

Edited by EarlyXianity

I literally found out about it close to 2 weeks agoĀ from someone in my current program.Ā  The URL is:Ā https://thegradcafe.com/survey/Ā  and then type in the school you are curious about.Ā  When I'm neurotic on the go, I sometimes google "schoolname gradcafe" and its the first result.Ā  Saves time, ya know?Ā Ā 

Hi, everyone. Another first-timer here. Iā€™ve been avoiding this site for my health, but the curiosity finally got the best of me. Ā :)

I applied to seven New Testament programs (Baylor, Duke, Duke Div, Emory, Notre Dame, PTS, Yale). So far Iā€™ve interviewed PTS and am going to Baylorā€™s preview in two weeksā€”but silence otherwise. DidĀ anyone end up hearingĀ fromĀ CJA (Notre Dame)? Sounds like those invites were supposed to come out this week.

I'm hoping to doĀ HB and haven't heard from CJA; another friend applied for NT and hasn't heard from ND either. Hoping that means interview invitationsĀ haven't gone out, but who knows. I thought I could be a good fit for CJA/ND, but perhaps they disagreed. ;) (But I'm reallyĀ hoping invites just haven't gone out yet...)

2 hours ago, SmallFishBigPond said:

When did you hear from Yale?

Yale began sending out requests for interviews approx. two weeks ago. Don't read into it, POIs are contacting applicants at their leisure and it's often just a simple phone call. Yale Univ. requires them to interview so while it's helpful not to bomb it, it's kind of just a checkbox. Some won't try setting up phone interviews for another 1-2 weeks.

Just got rejected from the Harvard PhD and "recommended" to the MTS.Ā  This is exactly what I anticipated, seeing as I don't have a master's degree.Ā  My guess is they sorted by GRE, looked at mine near first, noticed the lack of a master's and put me in the "MTS" pile right off.

7 minutes ago, jmarvin_ said:

Just got rejected from the Harvard PhD and "recommended" to the MTS.Ā  This is exactly what I anticipated, seeing as I don't have a master's degree.Ā  My guess is they sorted by GRE, looked at mine near first, noticed the lack of a master's and put me in the "MTS" pile right off.

If you don't mind me saying, this is an awesome option. I applied to Notre Dame a couple years ago and was selected for an interview. I went, did well, and was rejected. However, they offered me an MTS spot and I took it. It's a nice spring board into staying at the same school if you can make a good impression.

10 minutes ago, jmarvin_ said:

I had this happen last year! Good luck rushing to get that new app done.

3 minutes ago, bijou2017 said:

I had this happen last year! Good luck rushing to get that new app done.

Thanks! I'll try my best.

2 minutes ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

If you don't mind me saying, this is an awesome option. I applied to Notre Dame a couple years ago and was selected for an interview. I went, did well, and was rejected. However, they offered me an MTS spot and I took it. It's a nice spring board into staying at the same school if you can make a good impression.

Thanks for the advice! I'd certainly love to do a Master's, and at HDS quite especially, but it's all a question of money for me.Ā  I can't even afford to live doing a fully funded program without a stipend - hence trying for PhDs.

3 minutes ago, jmarvin_ said:

Thanks! I'll try my best.

Thanks for the advice! I'd certainly love to do a Master's, and at HDS quite especially, but it's all a question of money for me.Ā  I can't even afford to live doing a fully funded program without a stipend - hence trying for PhDs.

Totally understandable. I've had to work a second job in addition to TA'ing through both of my (thankfully, funded) Master's programs. Certainly not always fun.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:57 AM, KA.DINGER.RA said:

I just spoke with a professor with whom I am quite close. He said to expect to hear back from ND this week.Ā 

This may only be for CJA, but I would imagine it is for all of the non-WRWC applicants. Get stoked!

Did anyone hear from Notre Dame this week?Ā 

57 minutes ago, EarlyXianity said:

I wouldn't be shocked if invites are sent over the weekend. We tend to think in terms of hearing only on weekdays, but NDĀ hasĀ been known to send invites on Saturdays. (Not to suggest that it will happen this weekend).

Edited by turktheman
Clarity

56 minutes ago, EarlyXianity said:

It would appear that my professor has made a liar out of me. My sincere apologies for getting anyone's hopes up. However, I would certainly expect them very soon. Several other students have heard likewise.

2 hours ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

It would appear that my professor has made a liar out of me. My sincere apologies for getting anyone's hopes up. However, I would certainly expect them very soon. Several other students have heard likewise.

No worries. I applied several places, but Notre Dame is a strong #1. Just wanted to prepare my weekend of disappointment if I needed to! I never expected this process to be so nerve-racking.Ā