PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

On 10/10/2017 at 6:10 PM, Rabbit Run said:

If you were at PTS with those interests then yourĀ committee would naturallyĀ include Day, Bowlin and Gregory. I'd also look at Mark Lewis Taylor, who does a lot with religion and society/postcolonial stuff.

Hope this helps

Rabbit Run, thanks a lot!

Ā 

other question, if I may. How about UTS? Do you have information regarding Samuel Cruz or Gary Dorrien? Dorrien has very extensive writing in politics and theology which I think intersects with my interests too. Although I can only imagine how busy he is.

on other hands, Cruz project about public theology, faith in the city, and black theology quite interesting although I'm afraid I cannot talk a lot about these topics since its "US things" which quite different with my context.Ā 

Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, bonhoeffer80 said:

Rabbit Run, thanks a lot!

Ā 

other question, if I may. How about UTS? Do you have information regarding Samuel Cruz or Gary Dorrien? Dorrien has very extensive writing in politics and theology which I think intersects with my interests too. Although I can only imagine how busy he is.

on other hands, Cruz project about public theology, faith in the city, and black theology quite interesting although I'm afraid I cannot talk a lot about these topics since its "US things" which quite different with my context.Ā 

Thanks for your help!

I have a friend studying with Dorrien who speaks very highly of him. Dorrien's work is expansive and quite good. I'm sure he's busy, but I'm sure Cruz is also.

If Dorrien and Cruz (and others)Ā share some of your research interests and you would like to work with them, then mention that in your statement.Ā The people you want to work with (especially those who you aren't planning on having as your advisor) don't have to line up exactly with your interests. You want people who can help you develop as a scholar, that involves people working close enough to your interests (which it sounds like Cruz and Dorrien both do) who are also able to push you in new directions through the interests they have which you don't necessarily share. So I wouldn't see the areas that Cruz is interested in the you aren't exactly as an issue. You can figure out which of the two will be your dissertation advisor during coursework and comprehensive exams, you don't have to nail it down right now.

Here's what I can add regarding UTS from Dorrien himself. Granted, it's much more about the application process itself and the competitiveness.

UTS accepts one student per field. So, that roughly breaks down as such: oneĀ student for Bible, oneĀ for History, oneĀ for Theology and Ethics, oneĀ for Interreligious, and then oneĀ for Practical.

In reality though, sometimes History and/or Interreligious get rolled into another subfield depending on the strength of that year's applicant pool.

Theology and Ethics is their most competitive field, receiving several hundred applications. From there the field is reduced to about 30-40 serious applicants and then faculty begin their case of advocating for their specific student(s). Ultimately, one student is chosen for the entire field.

In rare cases where a student is awarded a multiyear fellowship, such as the Episcopal Fellowship - this frees up a spot and they'll accept a second student in that original student's field.

Edited by xypathos

On 10/17/2017 at 7:51 PM, Rabbit Run said:

I have a friend studying with Dorrien who speaks very highly of him. Dorrien's work is expansive and quite good. I'm sure he's busy, but I'm sure Cruz is also.

If Dorrien and Cruz (and others)Ā share some of your research interests and you would like to work with them, then mention that in your statement.Ā The people you want to work with (especially those who you aren't planning on having as your advisor) don't have to line up exactly with your interests. You want people who can help you develop as a scholar, that involves people working close enough to your interests (which it sounds like Cruz and Dorrien both do) who are also able to push you in new directions through the interests they have which you don't necessarily share. So I wouldn't see the areas that Cruz is interested in the you aren't exactly as an issue. You can figure out which of the two will be your dissertation advisor during coursework and comprehensive exams, you don't have to nail it down right now.

My only concern that he will place me in the "second-option" due to the different interest.

But I think its a really good point you have over there. Thanks for sharing your thought

21 hours ago, xypathos said:

Here's what I can add regarding UTS from Dorrien himself. Granted, it's much more about the application process itself and the competitiveness.

UTS accepts one student per field. So, that roughly breaks down as such: oneĀ student for Bible, oneĀ for History, oneĀ for Theology and Ethics, oneĀ for Interreligious, and then oneĀ for Practical.

In reality though, sometimes History and/or Interreligious get rolled into another subfield depending on the strength of that year's applicant pool.

Theology and Ethics is their most competitive field, receiving several hundred applications. From there the field is reduced to about 30-40 serious applicants and then faculty begin their case of advocating for their specific student(s). Ultimately, one student is chosen for the entire field.

In rare cases where a student is awarded a multiyear fellowship, such as the Episcopal Fellowship - this frees up a spot and they'll accept a second student in that original student's field.

ahhh.. it's like an inside job...Ā LOL..

Thank for sharing...Ā It's a very valuable information for me.

From your perspective and knowledge, how far is peer-reviewed journal publication will influence the decision? Until now, I've published 2 articles in a peer-reviewed journal and one book chapter also in an international research series. I'm hoping can add maybe 2 more in upcoming years. I realized that as an international student, I'm lack of an influential letter of recommendation and first-tier university degree. Plus, I'm not planning to take another MA or M.Th. in U.S.Ā due to my financial issue.

Ā 

4 hours ago, bonhoeffer80 said:

My only concern that he will place me in the "second-option" due to the different interest.

But I think its a really good point you have over there. Thanks for sharing your thought

ahhh.. it's like an inside job...Ā LOL..

Thank for sharing...Ā It's a very valuable information for me.

From your perspective and knowledge, how far is peer-reviewed journal publication will influence the decision? Until now, I've published 2 articles in a peer-reviewed journal and one book chapter also in an international research series. I'm hoping can add maybe 2 more in upcoming years. I realized that as an international student, I'm lack of an influential letter of recommendation and first-tier university degree. Plus, I'm not planning to take another MA or M.Th. in U.S.Ā due to my financial issue.

Ā 

In terms of journal publications, it depends where youā€™ve published. If youā€™ve published in smaller denominational journals, it wonā€™t help you (and may hurt you). On the other hand, a publication in a top-tier journal will of course work in your favor.

8 hours ago, y00nsk said:

In terms of journal publications, it depends where youā€™ve published. If youā€™ve published in smaller denominational journals, it wonā€™t help you (and may hurt you). On the other hand, a publication in a top-tier journal will of course work in your favor.

very interesting... would you helpĀ give me one example of this "smaller denominational journals"? I hope it's not prohibited to mention it here. And how bad it would hurt me? Ā 

For this "top-tier journal", based on what criteria? Cause I try to publish in a journal that hasĀ a good H-index (min 3) and total cites (min 16). Or is there any other criteria that need my attention?

I hope I'm not bothering you with my silly questions...Ā 

Thank you so much for your help.

15 hours ago, bonhoeffer80 said:

very interesting... would you helpĀ give me one example of this "smaller denominational journals"? I hope it's not prohibited to mention it here. And how bad it would hurt me? Ā 

For this "top-tier journal", based on what criteria? Cause I try to publish in a journal that hasĀ a good H-index (min 3) and total cites (min 16). Or is there any other criteria that need my attention?

I hope I'm not bothering you with my silly questions...Ā 

Thank you so much for your help.

An example of a denominational journal would be:Ā http://www.anglicantheologicalreview.org/Ā or the Methodist Review. While they can be useful for your own career, allow you to explore the implications of your work in a more personal space, orĀ help pad your CV early in your career, they pale in comparison to a publication in a peer-reviewed academic journal, such as JBL (Journal of Biblical Literature) or the Journal of Religion, published out of Chicago. Ultimately, on average, the requirements to get published in a denominational journal over a secular one are lower.

Religious Studies is such a large field that most ranking indexes aren't going to be that useful. Scimago's rankings are certainly a useful starting place but that's about it -Ā http://www.scimagojr.com/journalrank.php?category=1212

Ā 

Currently a second-year MTS student at Notre Dame in biblical studies. Got my first MA from UGA in Hebrew Bible.Ā 

I was invited for PhD interviews after my first Master's and was told that I was very close to making it in. They extended the MTS offer so I took it.

I'll be applying to Chicago, UCLA, Harvard, Hopkins, and ND.

If anyone has questions about ND, drop me a line.

Does anyone have a sense of what happened with BUā€™s Graduate Division of Religion last year, and how this affects the programā€™s reputation? Iā€™m also wondering why they are restructuring/renaming areas of specialization? Thanks.Ā 

Hello,

Ā 

Question about contacting professors. I have sent some emails to professors about their programs, but I haven't gotten a response right away. Obviously, profs are busy. But, what is the protocol on following up? I want to apply to these programs, so should I email again after a certain amount of time? Would appreciate hearing some suggestions.Ā 

13 hours ago, ugh2017 said:

Hello,

Ā 

Question about contacting professors. I have sent some emails to professors about their programs, but I haven't gotten a response right away. Obviously, profs are busy. But, what is the protocol on following up? I want to apply to these programs, so should I email again after a certain amount of time? Would appreciate hearing some suggestions.Ā 

It really depends. How long has it been since you emailed them?Ā 

23 hours ago, ugh2017 said:

Hello,

Ā 

If it's a professor you have no historyĀ with, I'd say two weeks is a good minimum amount of time to wait.

• 3 weeks later...

How's everyone handling the impending deadlines?

I'm retaking the GRE on the 17th in haste as I attempt to transfer programs. I didn't realize until about three weeks ago that my GRE scores expired but better now than a week before deadlines.

On 11/11/2017 at 4:26 PM, xypathos said:

How's everyone handling the impending deadlines?

I'm retaking the GRE on the 17th in haste as I attempt to transfer programs. I didn't realize until about three weeks ago that my GRE scores expired but better now than a week before deadlines.

The first of my apps are due Dec 1st and I keep second guessing my qualifications and app materials. "The SOP isn't quite good enough, or my LORs might not be the greatest, etc. etc."

January can't come soon enough...

• 3 weeks later...

Any other UCSB applicants out there? I can't login to the site (I'm assuming due to the Thomas Fires) and was wondering if anyone else had heard about how it being down affects today's due date.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:56 PM, PastProf said:

Yep, I gathered that from the post. Just isn't a straight shot to 15 December if you're applying to Duke PhD.

Welp, not anymore. Duke's Religious Studies PhD program just extended their deadline to the 20th. I wonder if they weren't getting as many applications as expected?Ā 

26 minutes ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

Welp, not anymore. Duke's Religious Studies PhD program just extended their deadline to the 20th. I wonder if they weren't getting as many applications as expected?Ā 

Could be. Apps to our program (not Duke!) are down 30% ofĀ what we usually get. Most are citing fear of the pending tax reform that will hit grad students with a large tax bill.

5 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

Interesting... is there any precedent for a program to extend their deadline this much? Seems a bit late to do that (a day before the original deadline?). If there are fewer applicants this year, perhaps that's good news for us if that makes the applicant pool less competitive.

15 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

I've heard anecdotally that masters applications to the Divinity SchoolĀ where down last year by a noticeable amount due to recent faculty departures. I could see how this might impact the Religion PhD for certain fields, but I'd think they'd still have plenty of attractive applicants.

14 hours ago, y00nsk said:

Interesting... is there any precedent for a program to extend their deadline this much? Seems a bit late to do that (a day before the original deadline?). If there are fewer applicants this year, perhaps that's good news for us if that makes the applicant pool less competitive.

I have a friend who applied to Duke Divinity for doctoral work (not to their GDR) last year. He mentioned that they extended the deadline a day or two after the deadline to give another week or so to all the applications still in process. Could be something like that. As for applications, I think there's been a downward trend for a while based on conversations I'veĀ  had (no hard data, just stuff in passing). Causations tricky, but one thing I hear often is that the rebound from the recession over the last few years has weeded out people who have options to do other things (I wouldn't discount the tax issue either). I don't know if that type of weeding out makes it any less competitive though.

Edited by turktheman
Clarification