PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

Okay seriously, how have the waitlist dominoes not started falling yet? I was told (anecdotally) by departments that these things are often resolved by mid-March!

13 minutes ago, sd_waco said:

Okay seriously, how have the waitlist dominoes not started falling yet? I was told (anecdotally) by departments that these things are often resolved by mid-March!

From what I can gather, there are a few (extremely inconsiderate) people sitting on a ton of acceptances. 

I know someone who was sitting on 5+ TT acceptances and didn't accept one until last week. A lot of schools don't have the time necessary to work through the administration to make offers at this point. 

6 minutes ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

From what I can gather, there are a few (extremely inconsiderate) people sitting on a ton of acceptances. 

I know someone who was sitting on 5+ TT acceptances and didn't accept one until last week. A lot of schools don't have the time necessary to work through the administration to make offers at this point. 

In fairness, it does seem like there were at least a couple of schools that waited WAY late, which could be clogging things up. But I still thought there would be some indication of movement by now.

1 hour ago, sd_waco said:

In fairness, it does seem like there were at least a couple of schools that waited WAY late, which could be clogging things up. But I still thought there would be some indication of movement by now.

That might be the case. And I understand sitting on a couple. But if you have 3+, you should start narrowing things down. 

5 hours ago, sd_waco said:

As you probably already know, the deadline isn't until April 15th, and, as people have already mentioned, first-round admits tend to sit on the decision until rather last minute. Perhaps they were waitlisted at their top choice and want to hold off on a decision until they themselves hear back.  The good news is, though, that from my experience news begin to flow in just around this time. Best of luck!

16 hours ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

That might be the case. And I understand sitting on a couple. But if you have 3+, you should start narrowing things down. 

Agreed. I do understand why people sit on acceptances, however. It's more than a program but uprooting your entire life and family, etc., and the decision shouldn't me made lightly. There is also the regret of accepting an offer early and hearing back from a school one was wait-listed at that is a top choice, etc.

On the other hand I wish all those wait-listed like myself would have the opportunity to get into a program!

I'm beyond anxious to hear back.

Does anyone know what the standard deadline is to respond if you’re accepted off a waitlist? If, for example, you get an offer on April 16th but also want to hold out for another waitlist, how long you’d have to respond?

30 minutes ago, Rafram bar Pappa said:

Off the waitlist from UVA today.

Dominoes are falling...but that's where I'm going so I'm done. 

Congrats! I’m hoping to hear from them soon too — what subfield are you in?

10 minutes ago, Rafram bar Pappa said:

JCA. 

Btw, I didn’t get an email. Checked portal like a crazy person this afternoon and saw it posted at about 5/5:30

Good to know — I’m waiting on TEC (and now will probably be checking the portal compulsively). 

I just got my unofficial waitlist rejection from PTS. My POI sent a very kind email letting me know that all of the spots have been filled and they wouldn't be going to the waitlist. It wasn't totally clear whether that was for Systematic Theology specifically or all of the disciplinary offers, but seems worth relating for anyone else who might be waiting with bated breath for news.

After being initially rejected from Saint Louis (Christianity in Antiquity), I received a surprise invitation to do a Skype interview this week, which I did today. Assuming this means that they had more of their accepted applications choose to go elsewhere than they anticipated. I imagine it's not relevant to anyone on here at this point in the game, but thought I'd post just in case.

• 9 months later...